IGNORED

Callum O'Dowda - Signed

Rocky

47 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Without wanting to put a dampener on things, we've seen Ivan Sproule run like that - and score at the end of it! Beware the curse of the misleading YouTube video...

I think there are a couple of differences, one is he seems to be quick over a couple of yards rather than just on a long sprint, also he seems to think quickly to nip and pick up loose balls and reads the game well.

I also did Lee a disservice earlier in the thread because he is quite tall, dare I say the way he ghosted into the box for a header and the way he holds himself reminded more of another ex Man Utd winger (CR?) 

We could have the poor mans Gareth Bale (Jonny Smith) and the poor mans Ronaldo :) 

It's hard to judge the quality of his skill considering it's league two.... as he has a lot more space then in the championship. I personally I think he will make the step up into the championship and must say I'm quite impressed by Oxford Utd's style of football! 

I can see why people are comparing burns and him against each other, however I think Burns see's himself more as a striker then winger so  don't see this a like for like swap to those who think we should give Burns a chance. However what today does show is that we will surely bring in one or maybe two strikers in( maybe that Chelsea lad as one )

I'm really excited to see Bryan,Tomlin, Reid and now O'Dowda having the flexibility to swap places and  behind JK... It does make me care less about signing a quality striker to play alongside JK . It does make me wonder if we are more likely to play a 4-4-1-1/4-3-3 formation rather then 4-4-2 which I could be wrong but I think generally he has gone with 4-4-2 in most of the last season and other managerial jobs. 

46 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Then, of course, there's Gary O'wers, Gordon O'wen and Russell O'sman

Not forgetting our Oirish keep - O'Basso :)

39 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think there are a couple of differences, one is he seems to be quick over a couple of yards rather than just on a long sprint, also he seems to think quickly to nip and pick up loose balls and reads the game well.

I also did Lee a disservice earlier in the thread because he is quite tall, dare I say the way he ghosted into the box for a header and the way he holds himself reminded more of another ex Man Utd winger (CR?) 

We could have the poor mans Gareth Bale (Jonny Smith) and the poor mans Ronaldo :) 

We don't want the poor mans Baz Savage though.

28 minutes ago, Scrumpy said:

30% sell on fee apparently. Not sure if already posted. Fair enough I guess (if true). They did have him on their books from a very young age, so deserve a potential pay out like Wycombe and Ibe.

No problem with that. If he fails and we get rid there won`t be any profit and if he succeeds he`s likely to end up going for reasonable money anyway. I never mind lower league clubs getting a wedge when they`ve developed a player as things like that help to keep them in business. I suspect we paid Barnet a lump when we sold Albert and that probably helped them out significantly.

It`s when it goes to Premier clubs that it annoys me - if we`ve taken a punt on one of their kids who`s never going to play for them anyway, turned him into a player who has value and sell him on why should Chelsea or someone get part of the fee, it`s not like they need it. It`s like Bolton last season not being able to play Jay Spearing for the last few games as if they did they would have had to pay Liverpool 100k and they refused to waive it.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

No problem with that. If he fails and we get rid there won`t be any profit and if he succeeds he`s likely to end up going for reasonable money anyway. I never mind lower league clubs getting a wedge when they`ve developed a player as things like that help to keep them in business. I suspect we paid Barnet a lump when we sold Albert and that probably helped them out significantly.

It`s when it goes to Premier clubs that it annoys me - if we`ve taken a punt on one of their kids who`s never going to play for them anyway, turned him into a player who has value and sell him on why should Chelsea or someone get part of the fee, it`s not like they need it. It`s like Bolton last season not being able to play Jay Spearing for the last few games as if they did they would have had to pay Liverpool 100k and they refused to waive it.

It seems more beneficial for a lower ranked side to let a player go after they've signed a contract as a senior pro, rather than when they're U17 and leave for a pittance. Just wished more kids would stay at their team of origin and move once they've signed terms and finished school etc...

Can 'damage' a lot of kids if they move too early. Massively rewarded at a young age and they've not accomplished anything. Damages quite a few prospects.

So yes, I am also glad that Oxford may earn something decent if O'Dowda turns out to be class and worth some decent wonga.

This guy doesn't look like a footballer at all. Looks like one of those guys who play FIFA on YouTube.

Let's hope looks are deceiving, can't say I know anything of him at all. In Kemar Roofe's shadow?

Seems Oxford / Appleton were going to shape his team this season around him - so he must have something.

Oxford United manager Michael Appleton says they cannot afford to let any more players leave the club if they are to be competitive in League One.

Callum O'Dowda and Kemar Roofe have been sold in the space of a week for what could rise to a combined £4.6m.

And Appleton says finding a replacement for Republic of Ireland midfielder O'Dowda is now his immediate priority.

"We've lost the best part of 40 goals in the last week, so we need some more additions," he told BBC Radio Oxford.

O'Dowda, 21, joined Championship Bristol City on Thursday in a three-year deal while Roofe moved to Leeds United last week for £3m.

"Callum has ambitions to play in the Championship," Appleton said. "He made that pretty clear.

"The irony is I've had conversations with a number of players over the last couple of months on a similar subject and I believe we as a club can match those ambitions.

"That's the frustration from my point of view. I was going to build a team this season around Callum."

O'Dowda scored 10 goals for Oxford United last season during their automatic promotion from League Two and run to the Football League Trophy final.

Appleton, who has already brought in eight players this summer, has plans in place to further bolster the squad.

Among his targets had been Bristol Rovers striker Matt Taylor, before the 26-year-old agreed a new deal with Rovers on Friday.

"It's an interesting one as without speaking too much out of turn, I did think we'd shook hands on an agreement," he said.

"But I'm being told by his representative that he hasn't got a desire to play for his hometown club.

"They'll be players out there who will become available," Appleton added. "That might not be until later in the window or it could be as quick as the next 24 hours."

5 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Seems Oxford / Appleton were going to shape his team this season around him - so he must have something.

Oxford United manager Michael Appleton says they cannot afford to let any more players leave the club if they are to be competitive in League One.

Callum O'Dowda and Kemar Roofe have been sold in the space of a week for what could rise to a combined £4.6m.

And Appleton says finding a replacement for Republic of Ireland midfielder O'Dowda is now his immediate priority.

"We've lost the best part of 40 goals in the last week, so we need some more additions," he told BBC Radio Oxford.

O'Dowda, 21, joined Championship Bristol City on Thursday in a three-year deal while Roofe moved to Leeds United last week for £3m.

"Callum has ambitions to play in the Championship," Appleton said. "He made that pretty clear.

"The irony is I've had conversations with a number of players over the last couple of months on a similar subject and I believe we as a club can match those ambitions.

"That's the frustration from my point of view. I was going to build a team this season around Callum."

O'Dowda scored 10 goals for Oxford United last season during their automatic promotion from League Two and run to the Football League Trophy final.

Appleton, who has already brought in eight players this summer, has plans in place to further bolster the squad.

Among his targets had been Bristol Rovers striker Matt Taylor, before the 26-year-old agreed a new deal with Rovers on Friday.

"It's an interesting one as without speaking too much out of turn, I did think we'd shook hands on an agreement," he said.

"But I'm being told by his representative that he hasn't got a desire to play for his hometown club.

"They'll be players out there who will become available," Appleton added. "That might not be until later in the window or it could be as quick as the next 24 hours."

I personally think Oxford might make a cheeky bid for Luke Freeman.

59 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Good player. We showed an interest earlier in the summer but were put off by the fee(shock) and moved for Ben Pringle instead for about 250k.

What are your thoughts on Pringle , seen him a few times and never stood out for me ? 

Whos going to be the one with the obvious crisp jokes. :whistle:

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

What are your thoughts on Pringle , seen him a few times and never stood out for me ? 

Whos going to be the one with the obvious crisp jokes. :whistle:

Think people compare Pringle and Walkers, sorry Freeman too much, because they are both left footed.  Freeman is a runner with the ball, Pringke is a passer.  I really like Pringle, but no need to bring him in with the other players we've signed.  Will be a good acquisition for PNE.

10 hours ago, Fiale said:

He sounds pretty frustrated. Things not going too well for them this summer from the looks of it. 

Archived