IGNORED

Callum O'Dowda - Signed

Rocky

Looks good in the videos, but it is against League 2 defences. Can't see Tomlin playing on the left, think he's more likely to be in the centre behind the striker, or just given a fairly free role as before. If you eliminate him, then Bryan can't be the only left sided winger/midfielder. Considering he's a League 2 player and he's already got a cap for RoI, this is interesting.

But then it could all be massively untrue. Which is less interesting, by all accounts.

7 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

That's alright. If he was a right sided player i could make a bit more sense of it, but it just doesn't add up. 

He's played quiet a few games for Oxford at league 2 level so unless outstanding he's going into the u21s if we get him ,it's a massive step up to championship level. 

Remember there is no loan window so will need a bigger squad . 

All good imo looking at Young uns like this 

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He's played quiet a few games for Oxford at league 2 level so unless outstanding he's going into the u21s if we get him ,it's a massive step up to championship level. 

He's got a cap for Ireland, he'll go straight into our first team

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

And especially ones that are already showing promise at League level. I always struggle a bit to trust players who've banged in 20 goals at U21 level. 

Would of preferred Roofe but with ~3m supposedly being the price Leeds paid for him I'm glad we weren't involved.

Now seeing as Oxford received a ridiculous ~3m for a league 2 player, will they value this guy similarly? Or do you think they will be a bit more open to a realistic league 2 figure now they've made a killing on Roofe?

4 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Looks good in the videos, but it is against League 2 defences. Can't see Tomlin playing on the left, think he's more likely to be in the centre behind the striker, or just given a fairly free role as before. If you eliminate him, then Bryan can't be the only left sided winger/midfielder. Considering he's a League 2 player and he's already got a cap for RoI, this is interesting.

But then it could all be massively untrue. Which is less interesting, by all accounts.

Personally I prefer Tomlin on the left, because when he roams inside to collect the ball we will still have a player (Reid) supporting Kodjia. Also if he stays out wide he is already facing the goal when he receives the ball instead of playing centrally where he would have his back to goal when he receives it.

3 minutes ago, Kodjia said:

Personally I prefer Tomlin on the left, because when he roams inside to collect the ball we will still have a player (Reid) supporting Kodjia. Also if he stays out wide he is already facing the goal when he receives the ball instead of playing centrally where he would have his back to goal when he receives it.

Understood. I feel like, however, he's best suited in a role where he can just go anywhere. Therefore, technically speaking, a central role could be a better fit. I'm not a season ticket holder though, so I've not seen enough of him to really fight my corner though.

I would be potentially excited if we were looking at O Dowda though. League 2 aside, he looks good on the ball, can cross and can finish. And has pace. And has scored at Wembley. And has an international cap. Not bad for 21.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Left footers often play on the right nowadays. Maybe they are pushing for this one instead of canos. I think one winger will be enough with tomlin, Bryan, Freeman, Burns and brownhill all as options as well in wide areas.

One such example being our recent signing for the 21s Johnny Smith.

Fee for O'Dowda we're probably looking at £1.5m.

18 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Did Roofe play on the right hence this guy having to go left?

15/40 games Roofe played on the right. O'Dowda has only started 3 games on the right but he's very capable as shown in the highlights. 

Looks nice, but highlights are what they are... Lefties always at a premium for obvious reasons and who is to say we will not get bids for our current players. As SL said we don't have to sell so clubs sniffing will have to match our valuation....Joe, Aiden and Codge are all being looked at....

23 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Much prefer Tomlin centre as he's able to roam where he likes. Doesn't need to worry to much on his defensive duties either.

Anywhere between 1 and 2 million for this lad I'd imagine.

He's able to when he plays on the left too, which is where he played for most of last season. Don't get me wrong, he's class wherever he plays!

13 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Nixon reckons that the agreement between Derby and Oxford is that he'll be loaned back to Oxford straight away after Derby buy him.

Yea was reading that earlier. He reckons it was about done with a loan back to Oxford but maybe if(big if) we are in for him I think he'd be challenging for a starting spot. 

1 hour ago, BCFC Grim said:

Much prefer Tomlin centre as he's able to roam where he likes. Doesn't need to worry to much on his defensive duties either.

Anywhere between 1 and 2 million for this lad I'd imagine.

Everyone has to defend when we do not have the ball. Can't just defend with 10 !!

Roy of the Rovers madness.

2 hours ago, P'head Red said:

I've been looking into it, didn't think it was worth posting on here yet. He's a left sided winger, and as we have Joe Bryan and Tomlin who play on that side, i can't see us spending what would be required on this guy. We'll see. 

Tomlin certainly isn't a left winger. He's definitely most comfortable in the 10 role IMO

Archived