IGNORED

Callum O'Dowda - Signed

Rocky

I believe Callum O'Dowda features pretty prominently in the Secret Footballer's last book.  The Secret Footballer (I believe this to be Dave Kitson) talks about a young talent at his last club (I believe this to be Oxford) who he believes could go all the way to the top and tries to become his agent.  He tries to persuade the player and his Dad not to sign professional terms with Oxford and to move to a bigger club.  He also tries to persuade the player to turn down Ireland and hold out for a chance to get picked for England.  The club's CEO (I believe this to be Mark Ashton) gets wind of this and out-manoeuvres him.  The player commits to Ireland.  Assuming this anecdote does relate to O'Dowda (and other other clues strongly suggest it is Kitson and Oxford and I don't think Oxford have any other young Ireland internationals) then Kitson believes he is potentially good enough to play at the very top level.

55 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I believe Callum O'Dowda features pretty prominently in the Secret Footballer's last book.  The Secret Footballer (I believe this to be Dave Kitson) talks about a young talent at his last club (I believe this to be Oxford) who he believes could go all the way to the top and tries to become his agent.  He tries to persuade the player and his Dad not to sign professional terms with Oxford and to move to a bigger club.  He also tries to persuade the player to turn down Ireland and hold out for a chance to get picked for England.  The club's CEO (I believe this to be Mark Ashton) gets wind of this and out-manoeuvres him.  The player commits to Ireland.  Assuming this anecdote does relate to O'Dowda (and other other clues strongly suggest it is Kitson and Oxford and I don't think Oxford have any other young Ireland internationals) then Kitson believes he is potentially good enough to play at the very top level.

Good info.  Nice one.  Not read his latest book.  100% Kitson 

Spoke with a work colleague today and we got onto football and transfers and teams we support. He's been an Oxford fan for 20 years and he told me this Odowda was going to Derby originally but City came in with a better offer and terms and he is coming to us 

20 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Spoke with a work colleague today and we got onto football and transfers and teams we support. He's been an Oxford fan for 20 years and he told me this Odowda was going to Derby originally but City came in with a better offer and terms and he is coming to us 

It could just be something as simple as saying he`ll get game time with us.

28 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Him, Bryan, Freeman and Johnny Smith would be our left footed midfielders. Quite strong competition for places if we do get him. 

Can't see Freeman staying anyway. If we get O'Dowda in then that would cement it for me that he'd be off.

1 hour ago, Iron Man said:

He probably does but considering Oxford got rid of Roofe as well they will probably do everything in their power to keep him.

Or Oxford are a selling club and our own 'power' (of persuasion)  backed up by hard cash to club and player - will prove stronger than their determination not to lose another young player.

It's possible City lost out on Roofe (lots of long term rumours of our interest) so we could well be doubly determined to sign O'Dowda.

I think you're right in that the fee may have gone up post Roofe, but it seems unlikely that will put City off at this stage if O'Dowda is the player we want.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Iron Man said:

Oxford don't want to sell. Will certainly be a tough one getting this transfer over the line.

They may not want to sell but they certainly expect to having left him behind from their pre-season training camp.

Oxford are in a position to play a bit of hard-ball.  They've just netted £1.8m from Roofe, which is relevant compared to a turnover of c£3m over the past two seasons 14/15 and 13/14.

Suspect that they'll also want to play hard-ball with MA too!

Not saying we won't get him, just that Oxford will push up the fee, if they do decide to accept he's off.

6 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

Reckon 1 mill will I it but is he worth that?

Depends how you look at it. Are we paying 1m for the finished article? Or are we paying for potential?

If it's potential, and he signs a 4 year contract, that's £250,000 a year. If he turns out to be a success, and we sell him for 5x his value, that'll be a steal in relative terms.

Same situation with Pogba, is he worth £100m, no. Is he worth £100m from a potential ability and marketing point of view? Well, some big clubs seem to think so.

So perhaps a reality check is needed with regards to the value of a guy Martin O'Neil described as "the future of Irish football" and whose worth to Oxford was immeasurable last season. 

I would like BCFC pull this one off as much as I wanted LT. I'd be surprised if Oxford value him any less than KR and possibly more. I also doubt that in the overall scheme of things  whether his price is £1m or £2.5m matters too much to SL. One good season in the Championship and he's worth £5m or more.

Steve Lansdown is trying to do exactly what he said he would do- buy young players with potential and increasing value. COD fits that profile perfectly and many commentators have said he can go all the way to the Premiership which, funnily enough, is where we're trying to get to.

4 minutes ago, cynic said:

He seems well regarded in the game sure enough and this report from January says it all - Oxford want over 1m and the kid (or his dad) wants 10k per week. Bit of a risk with those numbers for a kid just out of division 4.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3404128/Derby-s-1million-Oxford-United-winger-Callum-O-Dowda-held-20-year-old-s-10-000-week-wage-demands.html

I think BCFC are at a stage where a calculated risk is a good risk and one they have to take. My personal take is that spending close on £3m for a 27yr old and something like £25,000 per week is ab bigger "risk" than say £12,000 per week on a young up and coming goal scoring International.

Fortunately for me, it's not my money and fortunately for us, SL can afford to make the odd mistake without threatening our Club.

2 minutes ago, cynic said:

Well, it was too big a risk for Derby and we'll see if its too big a risk for City.

I hope an agreement can be reached to get the kid here..

I don't think Derby saw him as a first team starter whereas I believe we would. I also think that Derby have got a pretty major squad which we clearly don't which is both good and bad news in equal measure.

Yep- fingers crossed that he comes here but at least we do seem to be heading along the right path.

Archived