IGNORED

Hordur "Hodor" Magnusson - Signed

Rocky

On 7/14/2016 at 09:39, Dan Robin said:

Even if I'm Italian, I'm not very interested in Serie B...so I didn't know Magnusson.

That's why I took a look at the site TuttoCesena , and judging from player ratings, it seems that our new defender didn't do well last year: if you read the articles with the word ''pagelle'' (ex: Cesena-Crotone, le pagelle), you will notice that the journalist gave him more negative votes (5.5 - 4) than positive ones (6 - 6.5), at least in the second part of the season. Summarizing his opinions...I can say that he found Hordur discontinuous and prone to making errors, mainly caused by pressure/loss of attention: the fact that the journalist rarely refers to his technical/physical skills, makes me think that last season Magnusson's true problem  was psychological.

That being said...maybe the opinions about him on that site were too harsh, and may be different from those of Cesena supporters. Then, we must consider the differences between Championship and Serie B (in the second one, tactics is usually more developed), and the positive influence that a change of team can have on a player's mind. :fingerscrossed:

Well, I'm very interested in Serie B and have been reading tuttocesena regularly throughout Magnusson's time at Cesena. One thing is for certain, if you are looking for a football-related website that talks pure shit all the time then look no further than tuttocesena. They have three regular writers, among them the most regular one, Stefano Severi, who has throughout the past two seasons been writing negatively about Magnusson no matter how he does or plays. Remember that Bristol City had people watching him last season (Lee Johnson among them) and I guess you agree with me that he knows what he's doing.

Magnusson did very well last season for Cesena and is a brilliant footballer. That's why he was bought by Bristol City.

On 7/14/2016 at 21:09, IcelandicChap said:

Right, hello. As an Icelander I was curious about how the fans would like this signing, so I googled up this forum. I haven't quite read the entire thread, and I'm quite obviously biased about his ability, but I can try to clear up some points I saw being discussed in this thread.

First of all, Hörður wasn't in the Euro squad as a centre-back, he was there as a left-back. He was behind Ari Skúlason in the pecking order. Our back-up centre-backs were 23-year old Sverrir Ingason of Lokeren in Belgium and 21-year old Hjörtur Hermannsson who has since transferred to Brondby in Denmark. However, after experimenting with the back four in 2012 Lagerback almost consistently used the same back four from 2013 onwards. The centre-back partnership of Ragnar Sigurðsson and Kári Árnason worked perfectly, until France exposed Kári, who was then replaced by Sverrir. We may see some evolvement in our back four in the next two years, and Hörður could definitely cement his place there. However, Hörður has mostly been a left-back with Iceland, and also the youth teams, despite mostly playing centre-back at club level. 

Hörður has great ability, but I have no idea how he performs at centre-back. He has played the occasional game there at national level but in my mind he's a left-back, and I feel positive about the left-back position at international level in the long term with Hörður.

And he did confirm in Iceland last Sunday that he had signed with Bristol City, and that the offer for him was accepted before the Euros.

If you feel the need to ask me something I might know about him I will be happy to help but if not I just wish him great luck with Bristol City, and in my wildest dreams he leads the team to the Premier Division title in 2018.

First words in bold confirm that you don't know what you're talking about and you don't know the player.

Second words in bold confirm that even more. Hörður has been watched by lots of teams for the last few years and he had a few options this summer to choose from. NOT ONE of these teams wanted him as a left-back because, quite simply, he is not a left-back. He is a centre-back but can surely slot in as left-back. The reason why he has been playing as a left-back in the national team is because the coaches don't have anyone else as a back-up for that position. 

He will make the left-sided centre-back position his own in the national team in the coming season.

2 hours ago, Benni said:

First words in bold confirm that you don't know what you're talking about and you don't know the player.

Second words in bold confirm that even more. Hörður has been watched by lots of teams for the last few years and he had a few options this summer to choose from. NOT ONE of these teams wanted him as a left-back because, quite simply, he is not a left-back. He is a centre-back but can surely slot in as left-back. The reason why he has been playing as a left-back in the national team is because the coaches don't have anyone else as a back-up for that position. 

He will make the left-sided centre-back position his own in the national team in the coming season.

Read his post again. He's clearly stated he's talking from an Iceland NT perspective and not a club perspective. 

If you've seen a player 5 or 6 times play left back, and not ever at centre back, then 'in your on mind' he'd be a left back. 

I trust the Icelandic fellas judgement who has seen him actually play. 

18 hours ago, Clarky89 said:

Read his post again. He's clearly stated he's talking from an Iceland NT perspective and not a club perspective. 

If you've seen a player 5 or 6 times play left back, and not ever at centre back, then 'in your on mind' he'd be a left back. 

I trust the Icelandic fellas judgement who has seen him actually play. 

But you are just confirming what I am saying, he knows nothing about the player. You must have watched him at club level to be able to judge him. 

And FYI I'm Icelandic too and have been watching him regularly since he was at youth level with Fram.

On 17/7/2016 at 04:08, Benni said:

Well, I'm very interested in Serie B and have been reading tuttocesena regularly throughout Magnusson's time at Cesena. One thing is for certain, if you are looking for a football-related website that talks pure shit all the time then look no further than tuttocesena. They have three regular writers, among them the most regular one, Stefano Severi, who has throughout the past two seasons been writing negatively about Magnusson no matter how he does or plays. Remember that Bristol City had people watching him last season (Lee Johnson among them) and I guess you agree with me that he knows what he's doing.

Magnusson did very well last season for Cesena and is a brilliant footballer. That's why he was bought by Bristol City.

Well, I must admit that Severi's words in some pagelle made me doubt about his objectivity...but I don't know him so I couldn't be sure about it.

That being said...watching a player in some matches can be useful, but it doesn't guarantee that his future performances will be in line with the manager's expectations: you think he can do well, so...I hope you're right. :thumbsup:

Ciao

Archived