IGNORED

Hordur "Hodor" Magnusson - Signed

Rocky

Even if I'm Italian, I'm not very interested in Serie B...so I didn't know Magnusson.

That's why I took a look at the site TuttoCesena , and judging from player ratings, it seems that our new defender didn't do well last year: if you read the articles with the word ''pagelle'' (ex: Cesena-Crotone, le pagelle), you will notice that the journalist gave him more negative votes (5.5 - 4) than positive ones (6 - 6.5), at least in the second part of the season. Summarizing his opinions...I can say that he found Hordur discontinuous and prone to making errors, mainly caused by pressure/loss of attention: the fact that the journalist rarely refers to his technical/physical skills, makes me think that last season Magnusson's true problem  was psychological.

That being said...maybe the opinions about him on that site were too harsh, and may be different from those of Cesena supporters. Then, we must consider the differences between Championship and Serie B (in the second one, tactics is usually more developed), and the positive influence that a change of team can have on a player's mind. :fingerscrossed:

1 hour ago, MetzRed said:

Can I suggest right now that we do the Viking clap BUT instead of just copying the poor Icelanders, make it our own by replacing the 'OOO' with 'OOOH ARR'

OOOH ARR? How does one say that?

• Admin
On 7/13/2016 at 11:48, Rocky said:

Can still announce the signing and not play vs Yeovil, maybe he's not fit enough yet or is still resting after (not playing) the Euros.

I would guess that he isn't even in the UK at the moment, probably gone home to tie up moving to Bristol etc, he won't be far off full fitness anyway so no rush to get him training etc

32 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/how-city-attracted-icelandic-international-magnusson-3185067.aspx

no disrespect to cotterill but I could not see this of happening under him. Feel like we are doings things differently, properly and as a result operating in a whole different league.

Impressive.

it's almost as if the club is learning from the past despite what you get told here

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

it's almost as if the club is learning from the past despite what you get told here

Whilst I am impressed with the way that the new team has handled these signings it is unfair to slate Cotterill for not making them last summer when he wasn't given the budget to do so.

2 hours ago, Dan Robin said:

Even if I'm Italian, I'm not very interested in Serie B...so I didn't know Magnusson.

That's why I took a look at the site TuttoCesena , and judging from player ratings, it seems that our new defender didn't do well last year: if you read the articles with the word ''pagelle'' (ex: Cesena-Crotone, le pagelle), you will notice that the journalist gave him more negative votes (5.5 - 4) than positive ones (6 - 6.5), at least in the second part of the season. Summarizing his opinions...I can say that he found Hordur discontinuous and prone to making errors, mainly caused by pressure/loss of attention: the fact that the journalist rarely refers to his technical/physical skills, makes me think that last season Magnusson's true problem  was psychological.

That being said...maybe the opinions about him on that site were too harsh, and may be different from those of Cesena supporters. Then, we must consider the differences between Championship and Serie B (in the second one, tactics is usually more developed), and the positive influence that a change of team can have on a player's mind. :fingerscrossed:

He's young and young 'uns make more mistakes than older pros who have already learned from their errors.

He obviously has something about him or he would n't be at Juve to start with . Let's hope that he settles quickly and becomes the player he can be .

46 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/how-city-attracted-icelandic-international-magnusson-3185067.aspx

no disrespect to cotterill but I could not see this of happening under him. Feel like we are doings things differently, properly and as a result operating in a whole different league.

Impressive.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/kodjia-becomes-first-summer-signing-2559782.aspx

Not sure there's a great deal of difference in this and the way Kodjia was signed to be honest.

It is a good and I'm sure you didn't intend your post as a dig at Cotterill, but I get the feeling that for whatever reason Lee Johnson has been given a different playing field than he had (what with Mark Ashton, an entirely new recruitment team etc.)

We'll never know the full reasons behind last summer's cock up but hopefully things continue along a positive note from now on.

4 minutes ago, #roe said:

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/kodjia-becomes-first-summer-signing-2559782.aspx

Not sure there's a great deal of difference in this and the way Kodjia was signed to be honest.

It is a good and I'm sure you didn't intend your post as a dig at Cotterill, but I get the feeling that for whatever reason Lee Johnson has been given a different playing field than he had (what with Mark Ashton, an entirely new recruitment team etc.)

We'll never know the full reasons behind last summer's cock up but hopefully things continue along a positive note from now on.

I'm not sure if the sell to kodjia would of been as tough, he was advanced is his career  and we were an English team willing to take the punt in a decent league that is well regarded and often viewed as a stepping stone to the prem which is desirable to players from overseas as it is a good competition and of course probably more attractively, very very rich.

Absolutely not a dig at cotts, and without a doubt Ashton also makes a difference, how he would of done with cotts last year we cannot say. But from everything we see and hear ourselves and have heard from others in the game, Johnson is an exciting and progressive coach and with out a doubt this holds a lot of appeal to younger and older players of the higher Caliber that we wish to recruit.

33 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Whilst I am impressed with the way that the new team has handled these signings it is unfair to slate Cotterill for not making them last summer when he wasn't given the budget to do so.

If he didn't have a budget as you suggest how bid we did 6m plus for gray?

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

If he didn't have a budget as you suggest how bid we did 6m plus for gray?

As you say, "bid we did".

But I did not get the impression that it was him who was spending that capital budget or deciding upon the wages; the latter scuppering the Grey deal IIRC.

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

As you say, "bid we did".

But I did not get the impression that it was him who was spending that capital budget or deciding upon the wages; the latter scuppering the Grey deal IIRC.

Think it was but we just couldn't get it over the line

i wasn't digging at cotts I'm stating we have learnt from our mistakes 

36 minutes ago, #roe said:

Your feeling is not wrong.

1 hour ago, #roe said:

But wasn't one of the problems with Cotts was that he didn't want a Mark Ashton type person controlling transfers?

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

in my view it was Cotterills desire to make expensive signings rather than use academy graduates or encourage his scouting team to try and poach youngsters from other clubs - as is SLs ambition.  

SL gave a huge hint that he was unhappy with Cotterill at the Senior Reds Xmas lunch last year.

It's not by accident that since MA and LJ have been involved that we've seen such improvements in the transfer structure. MA is essentially carrying out SLs remit whereas Cotterill was not.

• The title was changed to Hordur "Hodor" Magnusson - Signed

Right, hello. As an Icelander I was curious about how the fans would like this signing, so I googled up this forum. I haven't quite read the entire thread, and I'm quite obviously biased about his ability, but I can try to clear up some points I saw being discussed in this thread.

First of all, Hörður wasn't in the Euro squad as a centre-back, he was there as a left-back. He was behind Ari Skúlason in the pecking order. Our back-up centre-backs were 23-year old Sverrir Ingason of Lokeren in Belgium and 21-year old Hjörtur Hermannsson who has since transferred to Brondby in Denmark. However, after experimenting with the back four in 2012 Lagerback almost consistently used the same back four from 2013 onwards. The centre-back partnership of Ragnar Sigurðsson and Kári Árnason worked perfectly, until France exposed Kári, who was then replaced by Sverrir. We may see some evolvement in our back four in the next two years, and Hörður could definitely cement his place there. However, Hörður has mostly been a left-back with Iceland, and also the youth teams, despite mostly playing centre-back at club level. 

Hörður has great ability, but I have no idea how he performs at centre-back. He has played the occasional game there at national level but in my mind he's a left-back, and I feel positive about the left-back position at international level in the long term with Hörður.

And he did confirm in Iceland last Sunday that he had signed with Bristol City, and that the offer for him was accepted before the Euros.

If you feel the need to ask me something I might know about him I will be happy to help but if not I just wish him great luck with Bristol City, and in my wildest dreams he leads the team to the Premier Division title in 2018.

11 minutes ago, IcelandicChap said:

Right, hello. As an Icelander I was curious about how the fans would like this signing, so I googled up this forum. I haven't quite read the entire thread, and I'm quite obviously biased about his ability, but I can try to clear up some points I saw being discussed in this thread.

First of all, Hörður wasn't in the Euro squad as a centre-back, he was there as a left-back. He was behind Ari Skúlason in the pecking order. Our back-up centre-backs were 23-year old Sverrir Ingason of Lokeren in Belgium and 21-year old Hjörtur Hermannsson who has since transferred to Brondby in Denmark. However, after experimenting with the back four in 2012 Lagerback almost consistently used the same back four from 2013 onwards. The centre-back partnership of Ragnar Sigurðsson and Kári Árnason worked perfectly, until France exposed Kári, who was then replaced by Sverrir. We may see some evolvement in our back four in the next two years, and Hörður could definitely cement his place there. However, Hörður has mostly been a left-back with Iceland, and also the youth teams, despite mostly playing centre-back at club level. 

Hörður has great ability, but I have no idea how he performs at centre-back. He has played the occasional game there at national level but in my mind he's a left-back, and I feel positive about the left-back position at international level in the long term with Hörður.

And he did confirm in Iceland last Sunday that he had signed with Bristol City, and that the offer for him was accepted before the Euros.

If you feel the need to ask me something I might know about him I will be happy to help but if not I just wish him great luck with Bristol City, and in my wildest dreams he leads the team to the Premier Division title in 2018.

Welcome and thanks for the insight. We obviously don`t know a lot about him but have high hopes as we think Juventus don`t sign players who aren`t any good. Keep checking in once the season starts if you are interested in how he`s getting on - one thing you can rely on is that every player`s performance in every match will be dissected in minute detail on here!

16 minutes ago, IcelandicChap said:

Why are England worse than Iceland at football?

5 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

I can answer that. In England, very average players are paid obscene amounts of money and think they're the next superstar. They're not. Usually they'll get relegated or play around the bottom of the Premier League as the better clubs buy foreign.

Iceland don't. 

45 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

I have usually followed the English team in major competitions due to a previous lack of Iceland and I have very strong opinions on that matter, however, most of the time I air my views to an English person they take offense, as I blame the fans (and the whole culture around the team) more than ever the players, who come and go, or the managers, who come and go. The atmosphere is simply too poisonous for success to take roots. In my opinion the first issue to be addressed is the culture surrounding the team. I understand though why people don't seem to like that opinion.

46 minutes ago, IcelandicChap said:

I have usually followed the English team in major competitions due to a previous lack of Iceland and I have very strong opinions on that matter, however, most of the time I air my views to an English person they take offense, as I blame the fans (and the whole culture around the team) more than ever the players, who come and go, or the managers, who come and go. The atmosphere is simply too poisonous for success to take roots. In my opinion the first issue to be addressed is the culture surrounding the team. I understand though why people don't seem to like that opinion.

Steven Gerrard wrote a good article which touches on this after our Euro 2016 exit. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/29/weight-of-history-has-led-to-culture-of-fear-for-england-and-tha/

5 hours ago, IcelandicChap said:

Hi Hordur, welcome to the club

18 hours ago, IcelandicChap said:

Firstly, Icelandic Chap, Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on your recent success in the Euro 2016 Championship; especially your deserved win against England.

I fear, however, that your views as to the reasons for our failure are too honest and, as we say in English, too 'Close to the Bone' to be accepted as a basis for reasonable discussion: please do not be offended if you receive abuse.

Archived