IGNORED

Hordur "Hodor" Magnusson - Signed

Rocky

Never seen this chap play, or heard of him prior to the last week, but I'm fairly confident he'll go on to become the world's top defender, and we'll probably sell him back to Juventus for about 20million in a couple of years...

Exciting times are here!

23 minutes ago, Malago said:

Interesting signing, but we still need someone at the back with 200-300 games  at this level.

So you wouldnt sign Caulker then as he doesn't have enough experience at this level in your opinion?

300 games at this level means pretty much 7 years which also means they would likely have never been promoted, someone like 27 year old sick note Jack Hobbs at Forest thats going to cost over a million and offer little ability to resell. I personally would prefer 3 22 year olds and see which of them can cut it.

9 minutes ago, The Bard said:

You're not being slanderous.  He drinks in there..

I know.

8 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Why? Flint has over 40 games in the championship and he didn't do too bad did he?

I think most of us think we need another for cover....not to replace Flint 

4 hours ago, P'head Red said:

Things are starting to look really promising for the coming campaign, exciting times to be a bristol city fan!

Whilst I agree with you and am very optimistic about coming season, the last time we signed anyone of Scandinavian decent for a good bit of mo why was soren Andersen...and I had high hopes back then as well.

j

Now I'm guessing that this Icelandic chap is in for a very nasty surprise when he sobers up.  Clearly he thought he was signing for the "6th richest club in the known galaxy" because THE anagram of his original youth side Knattspyrnufelagio Fram is of course,

'Gap rat mistakenly run off'

Anyway, welcome Mr Hordur Magnusson (or to use your own anagram).................... welcome 'Horror mugs mad nuns'

I need to get out a bit more, I suppose

11 minutes ago, jackofromrugby said:

Now I'm guessing that this Icelandic chap is in for a very nasty surprise when he sobers up.  Clearly he thought he was signing for the "6th richest club in the known galaxy" because THE anagram of his original youth side Knattspyrnufelagio Fram is of course,

Anyway, welcome Mr Hordur Magnusson (or to use your own anagram).................... welcome 'Horror mugs mad nuns'

Part of your getting out more Jack could be an appearance on Countdown :-)

33 minutes ago, jackofromrugby said:

I am expecting to see "Hordur" on his shirt, the "surname" is not as important in Iceland, indicating only who your father was, and whether you are his "son" or "dottir" (daughter) e.g. Bjork Gudmunsdottir

Hold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the door

5 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Hold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the doorHold the door

copy and paste like a rookie.

Really exciting signing.

When you look at the squad we have now compared to the one we started last season, I have little doubt it is stronger, even if there still might be areas for improvement.

A right back of a similar calibre to Matthews would not go amiss, and neither would another forward, but even then; if we faced the first six months with Agard and Little battling it out for the former position, and Agard and Burns backing up Kodjia and Wilbs up top, I'd not say we looked actively 'weak', more 'thin' in terms of assured quality.

Mr Magnusson is also exactly the sort of signing I hoped we would start making at this level; already has decent experience, but is still young and has promise - no ageing journeyman, but a potential future star, if things go well.  That is Flint's central defensive partner sorted for me, and I'm of a mind that Williams and Vyner (and also Ayling; let's not forget, he started out a centre back) would be decent enough cover to start the season (yes; not perfect, but adequate).

Someone mentioned us building a strong 'core' to the team, and Magnusson absolutely adds to that.

A reliable keeper (O'Donnell), good pair of central defensive players (Magnusson, Flint), a decent couple of defensive midfield players (Smith, O'Neil), two proven attacking threats (Tomlin, Kodjia) - that's seven of our starting eleven in place, and I'd say Golbourne is a nailed-on first teamer, so you're really just looking to add in a right back and couple of midfielders/forwards, and it's not like we're lacking options in those areas.

Considering the recruitment so far, and that of the influx of under 21s several have league experience so I can imagine will be busting their guts to impress and break into the first team, I think we've had an excellent summer.  Of course the proof of this will come first match against Wigan, so we will see in just under a month!

13 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Not 'exciting' for me really, Tomlin is exciting, this is as Mr Gary would say 'another club in the bag'.

Well done City, certainly have given the fans what we wanted, thus far. 

I can see that; a centre back might not raise the roof, but it certainly was required, and I'd rather if we're bringing in one, that it is a young player who is already a full international (and with a team who progressed further than Spain, Croatia and England at Euro 2016) and was playing in Serie A last season.

Plus, all our best recent sides were build on the back of solid defensive players; they allow the likes of Tomlin to focus on playing the exciting football we know they can.  Too many Tomlins and not enough Hordurs usually ends in tears (I'm thinking of Tinnion's 'Magnificent Seven' here).

Personally, getting in Magnusson also shows the club are making moves to shore up the right areas of the squad, so that is pleasing too, as last summer our pursuit of high-profile and high-priced strikers didn't fill me with a tremendous amount of confidence in how we were preparing for the new season.

3 minutes ago, samo II said:

I can see that; a centre back might not raise the roof, but it certainly was required, and I'd rather if we're bringing in one, that it is a young player who is already a full international (and with a team who progressed further than Spain, Croatia and England at Euro 2016) and was playing in Serie A last season.

Plus, all our best recent sides were build on the back of solid defensive players; they allow the likes of Tomlin to focus on playing the exciting football we know they can.  Too many Tomlins and not enough Hordurs usually ends in tears (I'm thinking of Tinnion's 'Magnificent Seven' here).

Personally, getting in Magnusson also shows the club are making moves to shore up the right areas of the squad, so that is pleasing too, as last summer our pursuit of high-profile and high-priced strikers didn't fill me with a tremendous amount of confidence in how we were preparing for the new season.

Exactly what I wanted to write but couldn't find the words. So I'll just add that I too find it exciting that we are looking to be at least competing in the transfer market this season and have an obvious plan to shape the squad for the future. 

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

Exactly what I wanted to write but couldn't find the words. So I'll just add that I too find it exciting that we are looking to be at least competing in the transfer market this season and have an obvious plan to shape the squad for the future. 

The future is a key thing here; of our first team signings, I think we've an excellent balance of experience and potential, and that doesn't even factor in the four under 21s (even if just one of them ends up a first teamer eventually, that is good business).

O'Neill is the Wade Elliot replacement we lacked last summer; Brownhill is young enough to perhaps be considered a bit of a gamble, but even he has decent recent experience; Magnusson looks as good a signing in that position as we could hope for, looking at his pedigree and relative youth; Tomlin is an known factor, who undoubtedly adds both quality and knowledge of this level of football to the side.

Other that O'Neill, none of these players are over 27, so all arguably have their best years ahead of them - smart business all round, I say.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No disrespect to Wade, but GON should be a significant upgrade....in theory, at this level

Am I right in thinking O'Neil is perhaps both a touch younger and with more games under his belt in the preceding couple of seasons than Wade had?  None of which is to in anyway disparage Elliot, as he was a crucial part of the most successful City team in many years, just something I was pondering.

And the fact we've done what we fans a so often crying out for in recruiting O'Neill (i.e. buying in players PROVEN at this level) should again go a long way towards suggesting that LJ, Ashton and coaching staff have their heads screwed on right - O'Neill was our first signing, and while less headline-grabbing than Tomlin, the simple fact he was willing to sign up with us, when he could have likely chosen many other sides, or even stayed at Norwich, is for me testament to the progressive way we seem to be going about things this summer.

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

Not 'exciting' for me really, Tomlin is exciting, this is as Mr Gary would say 'another club in the bag'.

Well done City, certainly have given the fans what we wanted, thus far. 

You're not excited about Bristol City (let's not forget, League 1 a couple of years ago) signing a young international foreign centre back FROM JUVENTUS with decent time to spare to bed him in?!

He may not turn out to be a superstar in his first season (my best hope is that he plays quietly and confidently and no other club notices him), but in terms of the level of signing we as a club can make, this is it. Until we mount a serious title challenge, this is as high profile as we're going to get. I'm very excited about this deal.

Archived