IGNORED

What do you remember ex City players for?

CyderInACan

6 hours ago, Big C said:

Something that always sticks in my mind was Carl Shutt getting sent off for decking the Walsall keeper in our play off replay stuffing. Made the trip worthwhile:boxing::boxing::boxing:

Remember it well. I was in the bar after the game chatting with ralff Milne I think it was and Carl came bouncing in bragging about it in a real childish way. Remember thinking what a right knob he is.

Thought of another one. When I first started working the guy I was with bought a video camera and was one of those annoying blokes that would video everything. One day we finished early so we could go down to Ashton Gate for him to video the outside of the stands. While we were at the back of the Atyeo Gerry Sweeny (then assistant to big Joe) was just leaving to go home. We said hello and explained what we were doing and he invited us in and gave us a tour of the inside of the   Atyeo and out on to the pitch. My mate then got me to interview Gerry there on the spot. Probably a bit embarrassing for me and Gerry but he was brilliant bearing in mind we probably held him up a good 30-40 minutes. Top man. 

Terry Cooper's awful perm. On a more general note that applies to a lot of players, the overpowering smell of liniment when players used to come through the tunnel and run onto the pitch. I'm not sure what they use now, but the pong level is not as bad. 

14 minutes ago, matalan12 said:

Lee Miller hitting the post away at Swindon. Still cant believe he missed, sitter!

If we're going to have bad misses we've got to have Baz Savage 

Norman Hunter for ' that ' free kick ' when he struck the ball so hard that his boot flew off . What a goal .

His all round menace on the pitch and his gentleness off it .

Joe Royle For his four goals on his debut against Middlesborough.

Joe Jordan in the play offs against Sheff Utd . He just came on and scared everyone in the stadium shitless. The man owned Bramall Lane that day .

11 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Scotty doing my laces up when I was mascot at the Withdean. 

Scoring past Mike Stowell and nutmegging Louis Carey.

Bradley Orr and Steve Brooker whenever I walk down Corn St...

You're Lee Johnson, aren't you?

Going to Darlington, early 80's. Walshy (before we signed him) hitting our crossbar twice in the first half from around 30 yards. Walking to sit at the other end at half time (no segregation at Fellows Park) and John Kerr scoring the winner with a header from an impossible angle.

I remember playing QPR back in the 70's and Stan Bowles chasing a long pass out of defence, he was clearly favourite to get to it, then he saw Norman Hunter approaching out of the corner of his eye and even though he was a long way away, Bowles stopped dead and let Norman run it back to the 'keeper. I remember the whole crowd laughing and their Manager (Dave Sexton?) shaking his head on the touchline.

20 minutes ago, ForeverRed said:

Going to Darlington, early 80's. Walshy (before we signed him) hitting our crossbar twice in the first half from around 30 yards. Walking to sit at the other end at half time (no segregation at Fellows Park) and John Kerr scoring the winner with a header from an impossible angle.

Yes, I remember that game at FEETHAMS ! Had a bit of a barney with TC in the stand, he told me to see him in his office MONDAY MORNING, yeah right .:cool:

Glenn Humphries going off on a barnstorming run against Huddersfield (iirc) during the 89/90 promotion season at the Gate. He just kept on going

Gary Shelton for just being everywhere, too young to remember Gow, he's my version of the great man

Louie Donowa - presume I don't have to explain this one?

Jacki for that flick against Ipswich

Super Bob for being an absolute ******* machine during said promotion season, then getting injured about a month from the end of the season, and the 15ers nicking it

Adam Locke for being probably the nicest footballer I've ever spoken to

9 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, I remember that game at FEETHAMS ! Had a bit of a barney with TC in the stand, he told me to see him in his office MONDAY MORNING, yeah right .:cool:

Of course it was Feethams, and it was also a long time ago, my memory!!

27 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Adam Locke for being probably the nicest footballer I've ever spoken to

Locke was a quality bloke, always had time for an autograph ( I was 14/15 when we first signed him). Can remember playing Luton at home December 28th 99 and that godawful Sam whatsherface doing her sh!te job of MC'ing and trying to get the crowd to boo him as an ex City player. No-one joined in haha.

5 minutes ago, TheBigMan said:

Locke was a quality bloke, always had time for an autograph ( I was 14/15 when we first signed him). Can remember playing Luton at home December 28th 99 and that godawful Sam whatsherface doing her sh!te job of MC'ing and trying to get the crowd to boo him as an ex City player. No-one joined in haha.

Bumped into him a few times, but he was especially good with my then young nephew after a pre season game at FGR one year. Just a lovely guy, and not a bad player either. Someone who loved their job, great to see

3 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Bumped into him a few times, but he was especially good with my then young nephew after a pre season game at FGR one year. Just a lovely guy, and not a bad player either. Someone who loved their job, great to see

He was a great wing back in that team of 97/98. Could also do a job in midfield as well (think he started off there) Him and Mickey on the flanks that year were a joy to behold. 

To add to the memories of some players already mentioned on this thread:

John Galley, for being patient with us when we knocked on his door in Whitchurch Lane to get his autograph and also for visiting our primary school, Wansdyke, and giving a chat...in the days before footballers were encouraged to do good things in the community.

Joe Royle, not so much for his 4 goal debut, but for the fact he could easily have had 5 or 6 that day and the fact that on the way out I actually heard some blokes cussing about him missing those one or two sitters and suggesting that we should not take him on once his month's loan from Man City ended!!!

Jamie McCoombe, met him briefly in Tesco Eastgate one Sunday shopping with his Mrs. Nice bloke. Also, it seems to me that our fortunes lifted under Johnson senior the moment he started playing for us and then our fortunes plummeted when he stopped playing for us. Furthermore, I still reckon we would have won the play off final v Hull had he not missed it through illness on the day.

Stan Bowles of QPR has also been mentioned.Remember a game at AG in 1977 where he had to endure chants of 'Where's your wife gone?' from the East End throughout the game after his wife had left him in midweek. At a QPR corner at the East End Bowles entered the box accompanied by these chants, looked at the East End and shrugged his shoulders. Brilliant. I think it was the same match where he broke his leg in the last few minutes and was left on a stretcher on a trolley in the Open End car park as thousands of fans exited around him at full time. I doubt he will forget that week in a hurry.

15 hours ago, Ciderhead433 said:

Big John Galley my 1st city hero.

Keith Fear used to collect paper money.

I went to school with Keith (same class throughout) and he was only slightly better than me at football;)

He had a kidney given to him from his brother but he's still a miserable git according to his bro.

Archived