IGNORED

What do you remember ex City players for?

CyderInACan

1960 or 61. Away to Grimsby Town, overnight on a coach so Saturday morning at the funfair on Cleethorpe Beach.

Fans versus the some of the players on the Dodgems. Shadow Williams, Jantzen and a couple of others.

And on a train back from Sheffield United in 1958, Bert Tindall gave me a bottle of beer from the three crates the team had. Helped them and me get over a 4-0 thumping.

45 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Im pretty sure baird got a backlash for jumping into ruud gullit in a freindly against chelsea,, then giving the finger in response then being subbed...he was awful and seeing him jumping into someone as talented as gullit who he shouldnt have been on the same pitch as him was an outrage.

There have been some truly world class players down there over the years, etoo and suarez included.

I can't remember that one  and wasn't present for any 'friendly' v Chelsea!

The last match I watched v Chelsea was in FA cup at BS3, Robbie Turner scored two ( I think) and we won. The Chelsea fans ripped the tiles off the shed by the open end  next to the Williams and were lobbing them over at us and a young lad got a head injury. I've disliked Chelsea ever since although they've given me plenty of further reason to maintain this.

16 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Attention everybody who still doesn't have their season ticket! @Davefevs house is currently unattended, let's all pile round there and steal his! :w00t:

Hi Andy.

13 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Andy Llewellyn for nicking my post

He used to always ask "so, going anywhere nice this year"

A very drunk Danny Coles for getting me up on stage to sing "You'll never walk alone" with him in chicago"s. 

Lee Peacock for plying me and my friend with Aftershocks the same evening.

Tinnion for a very frank discussion on City at the time including his thoughts on Steve Jones in the Glasscutter Nailsea one saturday night.

Jamie McCombe for a night out with him his brother, dad and uncle after the poy awards night after GJ's promotion season.

and Scotty and McAllister (then of Yeovil) for ringing me to say get well soon when i was quite poorly in hospital. It meant a lot at the time. 

One of my earliest football memories was going to watch us play Plymouth Argyle at Home Park in the LDV Vans Trophy, think we lost 4-0 must have been in 2003? I would have been 8 years old, I remember Mike Stowell who was our goalkeeper coach at the time was in goal and was absolutely horrific. Anyone at all recall this, or am I going mad? 

Great thread.

Apart from the moment etched in my memory when the ball dropped to him as he was about to score that first goal at Wembley in 1986, I remember Glyn Riley had a distinctive running style.

I also remember when I was a kid Steve Neville trying to sign my programme with a pen that didn't work but he kept persevering. At a similar time I met Bobby Hutchinson but couldn't really understand his Scottish accent. Not much had changed when I saw him in a pub several years later.

I recall a game when Junior Bent kept running with the ball towards the corner flag with fans in the Atyeo Stand trying to point him towards the opposition's goal.

Jim Brennan was very polite when I drunkenly accosted him in a pub shortly after our relegation in the late 1990s and tried to persuade him not to leave City.

Last summer I walked past Cotts in a cloud of aftershave on the Centre. 

1 hour ago, Sargent Pepper said:

Lee Peacock for plying me and my friend with Aftershocks the same evening.

Yes, good old Lee. Met him in 'the Works' nightclub one night whilst he was propping up one if the bars. I said hello, introduced myself as a City fan to which he slurred "nice one, what are you ******* drinking mate?"

He must have spent thousands buying City fans drinks at Nightclub prices.

Joe Royle for playing Centre Half at Forest in a league match.

Geoff Merrick saying "Hello" when out walking his Dalmatians in our First Division days.

Playing against Clive Whitehead in his prime.  He dribbled past me but I really tried to tackle him.

Asking Gerry Sweeney over a pint why when substituted, he eventually walked around the whole of the pitch whilst the game was still bring played. 

Andy Cole....my season ticket was right above the tunnel in the old Williams. Andy (before he changed his name) had been over-greedy and should have passed to unmarked players for an easy tap in at least twice in the first half. I suggested to him as he trudged off at half time to pass. He replied with two words, the second of which was "Off".

Speaking to Mark Shail in the Glasshouse (not Glass Cutters) Nailsea...

ME Hi Mark, When you see Liam Robinson can you please tell him to ignore the boo boys. There are fans who like what he does.

MS You can tell him yourself. He's standing next to you!

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Gerry Gow 

My all time favourite player. He was so hard and tough tackling that when he was playing you never felt like City would lose. They did lose of course but it wasn't because of Gow......

He would win possession and know how to pick a pass and to me it looked as if he was everywhere  on the pitch. He was a serious piss artist but no-one cared.

I vividly remember Scott Murray as well especially the season when he scored so many goals. The whole of AG stood up when he got the ball and started running at the opposition. He was exciting to watch. Another piss artist but again no-one cared.....

Archived