IGNORED

17 things we learnt yesterday v Pompey

1. The stadium is truly magnificent.

2. Tomlin was 'saving energy' but still managed the odd sublime moment.

3. Flint looked his usual composed self with some very accurate cross field long forward passes and great blocks.

4. Midfield was poor. No one looking good. Anonymous.

5. Wilbs will still have a part to play this season on the pitch.

6. Pompey took the game seriously and City didn't. Pompey really wanted to win and City didn't.

7. O'Dowda looked a bit lost but did get into some good positions only to be ignored in favour of passes through the middle where we were snuffed out every time.

8.Kodjia seemingly isolated up front.

9. Largest longest applause of the afternoon was for the noisy 700 Pompey away fans by the City fans- very nice touch.

10. Magnusson could very well be one of the best signings in years. Very impressed and likely to get much better. Class shows and I'm excited at this.

11. MOM was Richard O'Donnell who single handedly kept Pompey from scoring. Some brilliant saves, great distribution  and I'm happy he's our No1.

12. Freeman and Ayling added much needed vitality to a truly dull affair but with no effect.

13. Queues outside and inside Ashton Gate were just plain silly and plain wrong.

14. This was a training match where no-one wanted to do too much and no one wanted to pick up an injury 7 days before a proper competitive match.

15. If Wigan scouted this match- they learnt nothing.

16. Surprise package this season for me might just be Johnny Smith. Only on for a few minutes and just a hunch but he's got something about him.

17. What we saw was not the finished article in terms of cohesion or players- we may have conceded possession all too easily but we didn't concede a goal despite Pompey's best efforts.

Key for me.  

• It was a training match for City. 
  • Poor midfield which did not pass forward quickly enough.  Slightly concerned about o"Neil and Smith missing start of the season.
  • Magners did look good.
  • I liked Jonny Smith"s enthusiasm.
  • We need another striker.

Made me much less likely to watch a preseason game against lower league opposition.  Pompey and their fans were good.

I didn't go, but I seriously hope that point 6 wasn't the case. I don't want to be hearing excuses next week that we're still 'getting up to speed ' when there's 3 points at stake. Especially with difficult August we have. 

43 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

3. Flint looked his usual composed self with some very accurate cross field long forward passes and great blocks.

6. Pompey took the game seriously and City didn't. Pompey really wanted to win and City didn't.

7. O'Dowda looked a bit lost but did get into some good positions only to be ignored in favour of passes through the middle where we were snuffed out every time.

9. Largest longest applause of the afternoon was for the noisy 700 Pompey away fans by the City fans- very nice touch.

10. Magnusson could very well be one of the best signings in years. Very impressed and likely to get much better. Class shows and I'm excited at this.

11. MOM was Richard O'Donnell who single handedly kept Pompey from scoring. Some brilliant saves, great distribution  and I'm happy he's our No1.

12. Freeman and Ayling added much needed vitality to a truly dull affair but with no effect.

13. Queues outside and inside Ashton Gate were just plain silly and plain wrong.

14. This was a training match where no-one wanted to do too much and no one wanted to pick up an injury 7 days before a proper competitive match.

16. Surprise package this season for me might just be Johnny Smith. Only on for a few minutes and just a hunch but he's got something about him.

17. What we saw was not the finished article in terms of cohesion or players- we may have conceded possession all too easily but we didn't concede a goal despite Pompey's best efforts.

I though that about johnny smith too, he seems a little light weight at the moment but full of enthusiasm and looked really lively when he came on.

The other positive to take is there never seems to be a correlation between how well we do in preseason and how well we do when the league starts.  

Felt a bit like I got to see my Christmas presents before christmas day.  Kind of wish I waited until next Saturday now!!

6 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

I though that about johnny smith too, he seems a little light weight at the moment but full of enthusiasm and looked really lively when he came on.

Glad you also think so- it's not just about his enthusiasm though- I can't quite put my finger on it but he looked like he's a proper footballer if that makes any sense! I wonder if he'll make the bench? 

Now that our development squad/U21's  have several really interesting prospects , I'm gonna go to see them in a couple of matches once the season's under way- something I wouldn't usually bother with. And it's free! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Really enjoyed that. Cheers. 

Please come again. 

35 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Glad you also think so- it's not just about his enthusiasm though- I can't quite put my finger on it but he looked like he's a proper footballer if that makes any sense! I wonder if he'll make the bench? 

Now that our development squad/U21's  have several really interesting prospects , I'm gonna go to see them in a couple of matches once the season's under way- something I wouldn't usually bother with. And it's free! :thumbsup:

Watched a few games last season, unfortunately a windswept Failand isn't the best of places to watch in mid winter, I'm hoping they play more games at AG.

Watched JS at Clevedon, where he was only OK, but he can sure get around the pitch, given the right service he could be a very dangerous player off the bench.

Although I have zero interest in watching pre-season matches I do look out for how City played.

i read the OP and immediately thought "it's a pre-season game, what do you expect?" but read all points only to be disappointed to see that Flint (who must think he's Steven Gerrard at his best) was still hoofing long field diagonals to basically the Pompey defence who must play against long ball week in week out......

Dear or dear.........:facepalm:

How I wish he'd just play a simple pass to a midfielder who drops back to take it off him.

Went to the game yesterday, queued for over half to get a £10 ticket but had to pay £11 even though I paid cash.

Heard many rumours that the West Stand may not be open next week and the corporate rooms are months behind schedule. I personally don't believe this but every one in the long que seem to think that this is the case.  So it begs the question why didn't put a request  into the Football League to have our first match away?

Now to the game it self, let's begin by saying it was only a friendly so with that caveat City was  still very poor. Anyone who like to have a bet get your money on Pompey to win L2 , they were very very good, bossed City around and out muscled us which was very worrying.

I would love to be saying today I was very impressed with our new signings but I got to be honest           O'Dowda was light weight and looked lost, had a poor first touch and was unable to play a simple pass. I'm sure he will get a lot better but on that performances he is not ready to start next week. Freeman must start when he came on he added so much more to the team that was missing from O'Dowda performance. 

I also thought Ayling played well when he came on. There have been a lot of talk about Freeman and Ayling future but to let them leave the club would be a mistake, we haven't brought anyone in who is better than what they bring to the team so if they leave our squad will be poorer.

Wilbs came on and also made an impact, he looked fit and strong and in great shape. He will have a part to play this season especially if we don't bring in another striker.

Liked I said it was only a friendly but there was very few positives we can take out of this game. The last friendly before the season starts next week we seem a long way off and LJ has some decisions to make for next week team selection, he and Mark Ashton brought in new signings and I'm sure they want to play them to back up his judgment but will expense of putting out our strongest line up.

I was full of positives for the coming season but yesterday display left me with a feeling of more questions than answers.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

•  Yes, the West Stand looks great, the Dolman with it's decals looks better (West Stand should also when all the concrete is covered with decals) - also the little things like how clean all the concourse were, small army of people cleaning up continously.

•  He certainly was conserving energy, he was also playing pretty deep, think we need him further forward in a 4-3-3 he could not support Kodjia, and Kod's was really isolated

•  Flint was Flint, if he's as solid as last year and can come up with a handful of goals... 

•  They looked a little slow, not really creating space, sat far to deep

•  Old man still has some legs in him ;-)

•  Yup, they looked like they wanted to win, we were kinda coasting until Ayling and Freeman came on and put a bit of energy into the team

•  He has some nice touches, quick feet and seems really good at dispossessing the opposition (albeit lower league) he showed a bit of speed at times, could be a gem 

•  Yeah, not a lot could be said.. as long as he's not lost his touch from last season though...

•  always a nice touch when fans appreciate support

•  He looked good, good in the air, decent pace, can actually play the ball on the ground as well, so should help flinty/distribution - he looked like he can score as well

•  he made a few good saves, nice to see him fast and agile all ready to go

•  yeah, the tempo lifted for 10 minutes when they came on - though whether it was just gusto or not - nothing really came of it

•  When all the stadium is connected and things are in place it should be fine for the start of the season, espec as most are going to be season ticket holders... 

•  true

•  true

• when he was announced there were a few "who ?" around me  :yes:

• never expect to much from friendlies, though maybe they could have just stepped up the effort / tempo for a few minutes every now and then just to stop it from being "another training ground match" for us fans

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Although I have zero interest in watching pre-season matches I do look out for how City played.

i read the OP and immediately thought "it's a pre-season game, what do you expect?" but read all points only to be disappointed to see that Flint (who must think he's Steven Gerrard at his best) was still hoofing long field diagonals to basically the Pompey defence who must play against long ball week in week out......

How I wish he'd just play a simple pass to a midfielder who drops back to take it off him.

Agree re Flint.....the latter 8-10 games of last season we were that tad bit more patient, and that patience allowed us to move our markers around and create space....that inevitably means Flint doesn't have to launch a long ball.

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I would ordinarily agree  but many of the long passes Flint made actually made it to the boot of a City player. What I couldn't tell you is whether that was because it was lower league opposition or that he's making the same passes to better effect. He's one player that seems to improve each season so I'm hoping it's the latter.

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So somebody who was actually at the game described Flint as having played some 'very accurate cross field long forward passes', but you somebody who wasn't at the game sees this as a negative thing? You really are a weird man.

I assume you thought it was wrong last season when Flint managed to switch play with a 50 yard pass diagonal pass on a sixpence that found Tomlin in space with allowed him to go and win a penalty against Sheffield Wesnesday. Been much better if he just played it 5 yards forward really as the football genius that is Robbored has decided he's a lower league clogger.

If Pochettino is happy with his two centre halfs playing long diagonals when the time is right then it's probably OK for us.

I know you don't see facts as being important though.

Agree with a lot of the points here and disagree with a couple. 

Thought Maggers looked okay, a few extremely dodgy moments where he dallied on the ball and had it stolen but on the whole looked okay. He said in his interview he has to work hard and was finding it tough.

ROD was great although I'd like to see him catch a little more for how big he is.

Cant agree about Wilbs I'm afraid and while I'm at it, same with Agard, surely there are better options out there we can buy!?

The ground looked absolutely superb and I had a little lump in my throat sat looking at it. 

On the whole I thought it was an okay performance, lots of the ball but no penetration. We probably played at 50% of our capacity or less. Absolutely buzzing for Saturday 

• Admin
1 hour ago, bs3 said:

Went to the game yesterday, queued for over half to get a £10 ticket but had to pay £11 even though I paid cash.

That is ridiculous, surely someone from the club needs to address this. 

@Mkelly surely there is something VERY wrong with this 

56 minutes ago, phantom said:

That is ridiculous, surely someone from the club needs to address this. 

@Mkelly surely there is something VERY wrong with this 

I was willing to pay £11 but why advertise to price of £10. It just seems an underway of doing things. We are Bristol City not Ryanair.

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If you buy a ticket for a concert or à play you pay a handling charge don't you ? 

Not right though. 

I've always had great service from the ticket office and as I buy either on line or by phone and they post the tickets to me I am happy to pay a handling charge as there is a cost and additional time incurred by the club.

However I would not expect to pay extra for paying on the day for cash.

If everyone has to pay £11 to get in (as I understand it) it's probably best just to say the ticket is £11!

3 hours ago, bearded_red said:

So somebody who was actually at the game described Flint as having played some 'very accurate cross field long forward passes', but you somebody who wasn't at the game sees this as a negative thing? You really are a weird man.

I know you don't see facts as being important though.

I don't consider myself "weird". I see myself as man who likes to see football played well and in my book 40 yard diagonals are not what I like to see. Not only does it have a low secess percentage it also gives the ball back to the opposition. To me it's frustrating to witness.......:grr:

It wasn't Flint who started it. I remember Millen, Shaun Taylor, McCoombe and even Carey doing the same thing and it simply reflects two things 1) lack of ball skills 2) lack of football intelligence.

Someone posted that towards the end of last season Flint stopped hoofing it. I noticed that as well and mentioned it on here that LJ must have  told him to keep possession. That's why I was so irritated to read that he was doing the same again yesterday.........

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don't consider myself "weird". I see myself as man who likes to see football played well and in my book 40 yard diagonals are not what I like to see. Not only does it have a low secess percentage it also gives the ball back to the opposition. To me it's frustrating to witness.......:grr:

It wasn't Flint who started it. I remember Millen, Shaun Taylor, McCoombe and even Carey doing the same thing and it simply reflects two things 1) lack of ball skills 2) lack of football intelligence.

Someone posted that towards the end of last season Flint stopped hoofing it. I noticed that as well and mentioned it on here that LJ must have  told him to keep possession. That's why I was so irritated to read that he was doing the same again yesterday.........

If you can't see the difference between a 'hoof' and diagonal passes in which somebody who was actually at the game described as 'accurate' and going to the 'boot of a City player' then I really do despair.

31 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

If you can't see the difference between a 'hoof' and diagonal passes in which somebody who was actually at the game described as 'accurate' and going to the 'boot of a City player' then I really do despair.

Seen it all before BR. Occasionally one long ball sticks but the vast majority don't and come straight back. It's a League 1 and below tactic that teams like Pompey just love to play against. 

Btw a 40yrd "pass" that fails to create anything ( almost all) is a hoof in my book.

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Seen it all before BR. Occasionally one long ball sticks but the vast majority don't and come straight back. It's a League 1 and below tactic that teams like Pompey just love to play against. 

Btw a 40yrd "pass" that fails to create anything ( almost all) is a hoof in my book.

Fortunately I'm not sure your book would be much of a seller.

I wasn't at the game yesterday as I was watching Somerset stroll through to the quarter-finals, so maybe Flint spent all day kicking it as high and far as he could, but I can't help thinking that it is unbelievably weird that someone who was at the game comes on here praising Flint for playing accurate passes to the feet of his teammates, but you having not seen the game seem to feel qualified in having an opinion to the contrary.

Feel free to skip to 5:08 in this video. You mentioned Steven Gerrard earlier, I assume if he played that pass you would rightly be praising him for it, but because it's Flint it's a hoof he shouldn't have played as he should have been passing it 5 yards to someone else? 

The two local Sheffield commentators go for 'what a ball that is for a centre half' and 'he can play as well as head and kick everything', but I assume for wise old Robbored it is just a 'hoof'.

9 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Thanks for this. I wasn't there (don't do friendlies. Like going to a game and being a neutral, where you're not too fussed either way) so this is nice to read.

Can't wait to see the ground on Sat. I sit in the Lower Dolman so can admire the West Stand opposite.

Kodjia needs support. We desperately need another striker before 31st Aug. Not enough options up front. A partner will bring out the best in Kodjia. 

You can tell Johnson rates J Smith already judging by his appearances in pre-season. Even a few mins here and there. Wants him involved now. Think he could play quite a few games as the season progresses.

Midfield without Korey and O'Neil looks like it could get bullied and overrun. Shows the importance of experienced heads. Can't have a team of XI young attacking players.

Can't wait for Sat. Expecting a nervy, tight affair. One goal in it.

Main things i got from yesterdays game are......we just have to get another quality striker in to support Jimmy. The 'cover' we have at the moment just aint up to it. O'dowa simply cannot play on the right hand side of a midfied, he is all left footed and because of that did not beat his opponent once on the outside. Iceman is all class and will turn out to be a cracking signing. We missed GON or Korey bigtime. Flint has improved again this season. His distribution is impeccable now and he looks so comfortable on the ball. He is the comete CH. ROD is without doubt our best keeper and will 'win' us plenty of points this season. Our midfield need to spend time with a forward coach. Jonny Bale has done enough pre season to be on the bench v Wigan. JB has gone backwards. Agard needs to go. Matthews isnt fit. Apart from the above, we are ready for season start !

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Utterly absurd. Congratulations.

2 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Utterly absurd. Congratulations.

So you like to see long ball football? Personally I don't especially from players who don't have the creativity (defenders)  to do much else. 

Like I said its League 1 and below type football and no longer the type of football we should see in the SBC.

"Keep the ball" is my motto and seeing possession given away via a long ball of any type really pisses  me off.

That said there are definitely philistine attitudes on here.......and they think that 40yrd punts are acceptable.....:facepalm:

Archived