IGNORED

Football is Back Today

The Coach

First off. Fantastic to get another three points today, even if we did play poor(again).

On to the main point of this topic. The Premier League started again today. Though many betting companies, and "football followers" alike are commentating saying "football starts today". Has anyone else had to inform these people that it actually started last week? I rarely lose my cool as I tend to know better never to argue with an idiot. But today I did lose my head a bit with someone I know. He made that certain comment. I informed him that actually football started last week. Now take into account, he is a plastic supporter(the club being Man U typically) he has no reference to Manchester, has never been to Old Trafford yet deems himself a fan. Following my comment, his instant response was "oh that's the shitty lower league football, who cares? the Premier League is the best." At this point I'm on the verge of losing it. My open hand is turning into a fist. But, I managed to keep my calm.

These plastic types will never understand the true nature of supporting a football club. Putting money into the team you love, travelling to the other side of the country to potentially watch your team play a boring 0-0 or to see them whipped 3-0. Why would put yourself through that? Because of the love the sport, because of the love of football and your club. I offered another friend who "supports" Arsenal the chance to come watch City away today. His response being "oh, seems a long trip to watch football." Can you actually call these people football supporters? Has anyone else had a similar predicament today? Cannot just be me having to deal with this.

16 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I actually put a FB status today, along the lines of, it's nice of the Premier League fans to join us real Football fans, welcome to the football season and where have you all been! 

Well done pal!. I copied your "it's nice of the Premier League fans to join us real Football fans, welcome to the football season and where have you all been" comment onto my FB page and scored a moral victory. My cousin lives in MK so she & her sons support Man C :facepalm: 

She saw the post and replied "It's City's first game", so I replied in turn "No it's BRISTOL City's third game of the season.

17 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

First off. Fantastic to get another three points today, even if we did play poor(again).

On to the main point of this topic. The Premier League started again today. Though many betting companies, and "football followers" alike are commentating saying "football starts today". Has anyone else had to inform these people that it actually started last week? I rarely lose my cool as I tend to know better never to argue with an idiot. But today I did lose my head a bit with someone I know. He made that certain comment. I informed him that actually football started last week. Now take into account, he is a plastic supporter(the club being Man U typically) he has no reference to Manchester, has never been to Old Trafford yet deems himself a fan. Following my comment, his instant response was "oh that's the shitty lower league football, who cares? the Premier League is the best." At this point I'm on the verge of losing it. My open hand is turning into a fist. But, I managed to keep my calm.

These plastic types will never understand the true nature of supporting a football club. Putting money into the team you love, travelling to the other side of the country to potentially watch your team play a boring 0-0 or to see them whipped 3-0. Why would put yourself through that? Because of the love the sport, because of the love of football and your club. I offered another friend who "supports" Arsenal the chance to come watch City away today. His response being "oh, seems a long trip to watch football." Can you actually call these people football supporters? Has anyone else had a similar predicament today? Cannot just be me having to deal with this.

Just smash `em. They deserve it;)

I had an email from BT Sport on Thursday saying that the football season kicks off this weekend. I am very tempted to not pay their next bill until a week after it is due and tell them that I thought it was appropriate to do this because they are a week behind the rest of us in BT land.

Once travelled from Glasgow to Ipswich to watch us get hammered six nil (Johnson Snr's reign).

More than a few times when speaking with fans of 'big' teams who fit the profile mention in the OP (no connection to the club, only watch on TV, dismissive of football outside top half premier league/Europe) I've mentioned this as the nadir of my time as a supporter (at least in terms of miserable match day experiences), and it is depressing how frequently they can't process of why I would submit myself to something like that when I could just watch someone like Man U on the telly.

Thing is; I also endured a nightmare car journey to Bradford City a couple of season back, and the joy from seeing us win by six goals and get promoted that evening will live with me forever, and was probably all the sweeter because I've bee there when we're been truely heinous and truely great.

Those fans-by-remote won't have such contrasting experiences, as they just don't connect in the same way with their chosen club; why open yourself up to disappointment when you can support a team who you have no link to but consider a season just winning the FA Cup a disappointing one.

So, I can't get too upset at them, because they tend to be the ones missing out.  City might not be great for my blood pressure, but just like it they are in my heart, not just on my TV.  And I can't say I've met a support like the ones mentioned who's ever been able to say similar and mean it.

18 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

They are football SPECTATORS, not football Supporters.

If I encounter any Man U plastics; I use this terminology to their face, they don't like it one bit.

"So, where will you be SPECTATING Man U from today, the pub or your armchair ?" 

• Admin
5 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

They are football SPECTATORS, not football Supporters.

If I encounter any Man U plastics; I use this terminology to their face, they don't like it one bit.

"So, where will you be SPECTATING Man U from today, the pub or your armchair ?" 

We love participating in supporting our football team, they love a television programme.

Just like some people enjoy to cook and some people enjoy to watch it on TV. 

You can't explain to the armchair glory hunters who follow the big clubs what it means to have the emotion of your home town team in your blood. It affects your daily emotions win, lose or draw. You need to experience the bad times to appreciate the good times. I have supported BCFC since I was a young boy some 40+ years ago and watched them in every division, these plastics have no idea what it means to be a true supporter of your football club and I dare say this applies to the true fans of the football league teams across the country.

TV deals have corrupted these sad souls but myself and my children know what it is to follow your home town club and I hope they carry that on to their children when I am long gone and watching from above

I always regret Sky Sports not starting 25 years sooner.

That was when Man U were relegated (Chelsea had gone down the year before) and Carlisle Utd replaced Man Utd in the top division.

Money & publicity would have then flowed to Brunton Park whilst nothing other than patronising comments would have been made towards those Middling Teams at Stamford Bridge & Old Trafford as they hosted League games against York & Orient.

Since we seem to be having a rant against all things premiership;

Yesterday in one bookie's window they were advertising odds of 6/1 against Man C wearing blue for their HOME game.

Surely clubs colours are registered and therefore must be adhered to for home games at least?

14 minutes ago, 22A said:

Since we seem to be having a rant against all things premiership;

Yesterday in one bookie's window they were advertising odds of 6/1 against Man C wearing blue for their HOME game.

Surely clubs colours are registered and therefore must be adhered to for home games at least?

Hope you went in and stuck all your money on it. They were giving money away

sounds like he is a fan of Man U (putting in the least effort possible) but a supporter of the Prem. To him saying that he likes a football club is the same as saying he likes Apple or Nandos - the advertiaing has worked and he thinks that Man U is a high class brand and if he associates himself with Man U people will think he is part of that brand.

Most here are fans and supporters of City - we support City because at one time or another we have regularly attended games (usually with family or friends) and we have shared memories of events that someone like this person you know will never have, if you ask one of those that attended the LDV final game what it was like and you ask him what winning the FA cup was like the answers would be so different that it probably wouldn't sound like the same sport, he might be able to give you some stats and a few moments from the game but for me its the train up, the tube (getting on the wrong tube), walking up Wembley way the smells and sights - waiting so long in a que for food that I missed the second goal(to name 10% of the day) all of these things I have shared with friends and family (and that's just one particularly good day of thousands), what's he got - force fed stats, shiny shirt and an unearnt undeserved sense of superiority.

7 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Problem is. Due to social media you're hearing(or seeing) much more of it now being spouted out. I'd like to thank @The Gasbuster for labelling them as spectactors. Definitely think I will be using that from now on.

Me too. I`ve usually had a bit of a bite when you see one in the pub on an evening when `their` team has played in the afternoon. I just say `blimey, you made good time getting back from Anfield, traffic can`t have been too bad.`

4 hours ago, samo II said:

Once travelled from Glasgow to Ipswich to watch us get hammered six nil (Johnson Snr's reign).

More than a few times when speaking with fans of 'big' teams who fit the profile mention in the OP (no connection to the club, only watch on TV, dismissive of football outside top half premier league/Europe) I've mentioned this as the nadir of my time as a supporter (at least in terms of miserable match day experiences), and it is depressing how frequently they can't process of why I would submit myself to something like that when I could just watch someone like Man U on the telly.

My worst was an overnight special train (steam and unheated carriages) leaving Parson Street at 23.00 late Friday in 1964 to Sunderland for an FA Cup that we lost 1-6. Or the Sunday car trip to Northampton when we were hammered 1-7 in 1982.

I would not walk across the road to see Manure or Chelski play, unless of course it was against City. (Bristol City for those neutrals who may automatically think I mean Stoke or Manchester or Leicester or Exeter).

Like my wife, City are my team for better or worse, in sickness and in health til death do us part.

....and on Sky a bit earlier this morning they said "...the first Friday night game of the season takes place tomorrow..." 

I thought Fulham vs Toon was a while ago on a Friday evening?!

And they weren't talking in the context of just the premier league, they started a news item with those words..."the first Friday night game of the season..."

55 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....and on Sky a bit earlier this morning they said "...the first Friday night game of the season takes place tomorrow..." 

I thought Fulham vs Toon was a while ago on a Friday evening?!

And they weren't talking in the context of just the premier league, they started a news item with those words..."the first Friday night game of the season..."

Sky sports is littered with such a glut of incredible mistakes, it really is astounding at times.  You do have to question everything you hear on Sky.

Great thread - it's rare I agree with every post made. But just to stir up all this unanimity a bit, here's a couple of thoughts.

If supporting your local team through thick and thin is a good thing, maybe we should stop calling away fans c**** as that is just what they are doing, travelling several hundred miles to hopefully get stuffed 6-0 at the Gate....

And even worse, if staying loyal to your team even if they are total rubbish is a sign of greatness - then doesn't that make Gasheads better than us?

I actually do believe the first point - more respect for away fans

7 minutes ago, Renaissance Dolman said:

Great thread - it's rare I agree with every post made. But just to stir up all this unanimity a bit, here's a couple of thoughts.

If supporting your local team through thick and thin is a good thing, maybe we should stop calling away fans c**** as that is just what they are doing, travelling several hundred miles to hopefully get stuffed 6-0 at the Gate....

And even worse, if staying loyal to your team even if they are total rubbish is a sign of greatness - then doesn't that make Gasheads better than us?

I actually do believe the first point - more respect for away fans

Let's start with not calling our own fans ***** first! ;)

I now work with WHU,ManU,ManC and Arse "fans" , I would put money on most if not all of them not ever seeing the inside of any stadium let alone "their" teams . To be fair there are 'City' fans that don't go either, but I do find it hard sometimes to hold a conversation with the Glory hunters.

I've probably got one over many of these Man U "fans", in that I have actually been to a game at Man U (a work thing with a fully funded bar proved too hard to turn down...) It was incredibly strange watching a match with zero emotional involvement with either team. I also don't think the guy next to me was overly impressed when I said that the Gate sounded louder at the Swindon match in our Double season than OT did that day :chant6ez:

Thanks @samo II and @The Gasbuster for the two bits of terminology above as well (spectator and fan-by-remote for this class of 'fan') - I'll be sure to use both when the opportunity arises! 

Archived