IGNORED

freeman

Antman

if he'd crossed the ball early instead of this constant stepover bullshit we'd have put them under real pressure.

Everytime he got it out wide, Abraham rushing into the box, he takes it onto a little mazy dribble and allows the entire defence to regroup.

We have two great strikers who can punish defenders, play the ball in early FFS!!!

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yup. He'd be a half decent player if he played it quicker. Funny because he usually buys himself the space to pass or cross but tries to dribble again. Frustrating player because when he uses that left foot, it's usually a very dangerous ball. 

exactly that - each time he made the space, then made the wrong call and tried to showboat

5 minutes ago, Antman said:

if he'd crossed the ball early instead of this constant stepover bullshit we'd have put them under real pressure.

Everytime he got it out wide, Abraham rushing into the box, he takes it onto a little mazy dribble and allows the entire defence to regroup.

We have two great strikers who can punish defenders, play the ball in early FFS!!!

His eyes are looking at his feet, that's why he misses so many of these opportunities. 

20 minutes ago, Antman said:

I thought he did rather well first half. Step over fooled their full back a few times and lest we forget second half he's on the wing on his flat foot. 

The only time we played with two strikers as strikers was when he was played on the wing on his wrong foot. Give him a break. 

Time and time again  he refused to attack the space in front of him.

Also the drop in his ability to deliver a dead ball into the box, from the promotion season is mind boggling. Surely that's the one part of the game that shouldn't change.

7 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I thought he did rather well first half. Step over fooled their full back a few times and lest we forget second half he's on the wing on his flat foot. 

The only time we played with two strikers as strikers was when he was played on the wing on his wrong foot. Give him a break. 

can't agree - fancy footwork is meaningless.

I watched Abraham get so frustrated because the ball wasn't being played in anywhere near quickly enough or in fact at all.

Freeman needs to be more direct, he has the skill, but he just delays the pass and it always allows the defense to get back in.

The Newcastle goal came from an early diagonal ball with the defence all facing the wrong way.

Just now, JonDolman said:

I think you play 2 up top in the first half and those crosses cause a lot more problems. Thought he played well in first half but with little to aim for when putting balls in. 2nd half on the right was poor.

He was (2nd half)  I totally forgive that because he's a left winger/number 10 playing right wing back with a full back/ RCB with no confidence nor support. In the circumstances, even at RWB he put in a pretty good performance even though it was not a good performance from someone familiar in that position  

Had he had O'Dowda's position maybe, just maybe, second half he'd be coming off a solid 7-8. He certainly looked like getting it first half. I think he paid the price today/was sacrificed for us not having Ayling. 

Personally I back him. But I think he's going to go elsewhere and accustom to this level. 

1 minute ago, Antman said:

can't agree - fancy footwork is meaningless.

I watched Abraham get so frustrated because the ball wasn't being played in anywhere near quickly enough or in fact at all.

Freeman needs to be more direct, he has the skill, but he just delays the pass and it always allows the defense to get back in.

I agree second half but then I excuse because when moving direct he's on his wrong foot. First half I thought he overlapped, looked for the overlap and used the ball well. 

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

First half I thought he overlapped, looked for the overlap and used the ball well. 

I agree he looked for the overlap but between him and Golbourne it was just so predictable. 

He has to get his head up and get to the line and stick a ball in.

There were at least five times in the first half where he combined with Golbourne to engineer more than enough time and space to get a cross in and did nothing with it. Either hesitated or just played it back again. Balls in the box cause problems. Get it in the mix!

I'm starting to lose hope he will perform like he did a couple seasons ago. I don't think he's up to this level. Not quick, direct or agile enough to be a real winger and not clever, decisive or effective to be a central/ attacking midfielder. Also, his dead ball delivery is regularly not good enough and either under or over hits them. I think Bobby has over taken him for sure, and with O'Dowda, Kodjia, Bryan, Tomlin who can all play in those forward 3 positions as well for me I think it's time for him to get a new start somewhere, could do him good.

Just now, CheddarReds said:

I'm starting to lose hope he will perform like he did a couple seasons ago. I don't think he's up to this level. Not quick, direct or agile enough to be a real winger and not clever, decisive or effective to be a central/ attacking midfielder. Also, his dead ball delivery is regularly not good enough and either under or over hits them. I think Bobby has over taken him for sure, and with O'Dowda, Kodjia, Bryan, Tomlin who can all play in those forward 3 positions as well for me I think it's time for him to get a new start somewhere, could do him good.

Wasn't it his corner today that Magnusson nodded narrowly wide from? Can't say his corners today stood out as being poor. 

Also can't see that O'Dowda second half showed glimpses of more than what Freeman did in the first in his favoured position 

You might be right, but also from all dead ball situations not just corners I think he can do better (or shouldn't be on duty). Today I remember his cross from a free kick not clearing the first man, and as I say I think he regularly over or under hits them.

And well on O'Dowda that's opinion, I thought he was more direct and gave their full back more to think about

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Wasn't it his corner today that Magnusson nodded narrowly wide from? Can't say his corners today stood out as being poor. 

Also can't see that O'Dowda second half showed glimpses of more than what Freeman did in the first in his favoured position 

1 minute ago, CheddarReds said:

You might be right, but also from all dead ball situations not just corners I think he can do better (or shouldn't be on duty). Today I remember his cross from a free kick not clearing the first man, and as I say I think he regularly over or under hits them.

And well on O'Dowda that's opinion, I thought he was more direct and gave their full back more to think about

You did re-jig my memory of the second half freekick being under hit from the right. I think O'Dowda was more direct, but not sure he created or even threatened anymore if I'm honest. Not knocking him, I think they both come out today with credit. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

You did re-jig my memory of the second half freekick being under hit from the right. I think O'Dowda was more direct, but not sure he created or even threatened anymore if I'm honest. Not knocking him, I think they both come out today with credit. 

You make a good point about O'Dowda not creating as much after he came on, although I personally think given the same game time as Freeman would've done.

As a said before, I am starting to lose hope with Freeman but would love to see the player who got 7 goals and 18 assists(?) a couple seasons back!

I thought we were weak going forward down the right hand side because of his hesitance to make a direct run or a quick cross into the box. 1 if a defender blocks the cross its most likely a corner and 2 it gives our attackers a chance to score.

Instead, by doing stepovers it gives the defence time to regroup and get behind the ball.

I am sorry he has proved again that he cant do it at this level, his decision making is very poor.

Just now, BA14 RED said:

I thought we were weak going forward down the right hand side because of his hesitance to make a direct run or a quick cross into the box. 1 if a defender blocks the cross its most likely a corner and 2 it gives our attackers a chance to score.

Instead, by doing stepovers it gives the defence time to regroup and get behind the ball.

I am sorry he has proved again that he cant do it at this level, his decision making is very poor.

I agree re the second half. I think the step overs though were to buy him an opportunity to put it on his left. Whilst defending him I'll criticise him for being very one footed. 

But... Had O'Dowda played RWB or JB I think people would be more loath to criticise their lack of directness in trying to work it on to the strongest foot. 

Arguably the problem lies with Goldbourne. Freeman actually had very few opportunities to get a ball in first time assuming you don't want him to lob it in from just inside the opposition half. However he did manage to work multiple situations where Goldbourne could have put one in and chose not to. He's a reasonable defender but doesn't offer Bryan's attacking unpredictability.

Archived