IGNORED

freeman

Antman

Why oh why was he selected today? Johnson should have seen enough of him last season to know he is huff and puff with zero end product. He was probably given more passes than any other City player, many in great positions, yet achieved zilch. O'Dowda was signed as a wide player so he should be given a reasonable run in the team 

49 minutes ago, 29AR said:

He was (2nd half)  I totally forgive that because he's a left winger/number 10 playing right wing back with a full back/ RCB with no confidence nor support. In the circumstances, even at RWB he put in a pretty good performance even though it was not a good performance from someone familiar in that position  

Had he had O'Dowda's position maybe, just maybe, second half he'd be coming off a solid 7-8. He certainly looked like getting it first half. I think he paid the price today/was sacrificed for us not having Ayling. 

Personally I back him. But I think he's going to go elsewhere and accustom to this level. 

I didn't understand why Freeman was kept on the right when O'Dowda came on. O'Dowda likes to play on the right and Freeman is far better on the left. I thought Freeman played well, but he is not a right sided player, hence why he had to keep cutting back in on to his left foot. 

We were crying out for a right sided player with pace in that last 20 mins ( when Kodjia was moved into the middle) because Newcastle's left back lacked pace.

I would also like to say that I though Gary O Neil was OUTSTANDING today, possibly one of the best central midfield performances I've seen from a City player in the last 20 years:yes:

12 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Why oh why was he selected today? Johnson should have seen enough of him last season to know he is huff and puff with zero end product. He was probably given more passes than any other City player, many in great positions, yet achieved zilch. O'Dowda was signed as a wide player so he should be given a reasonable run in the team 

Yep did well to create space for himself, then found he was one on three with little support and few options. Doesn't have the pace to take them on..Pass back to Goldbourne. What do you expect him to do?

6 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Yep did well to create space for himself, then found he was one on three with little support and few options. Doesn't have the pace to take them on..Pass back to Goldbourne. What do you expect him to do?

What do I expect him to do? Simple - something positive. If he hasn't the pace to take on players, why is he playing? Gary Johnson always said he wanted players who could affect the game. The only way he affects the game is by running into cul de sacs, losing possession, or giving a sideways pass. The number of times he scores or provides an assist is so small it's almost unmeasurable 

Very nearly assisted Magnusson from a corner late on today. I think it fair to judge him on the first 45, when I would defend him, the second 45 played as a RWB though is totally unreasonable to have any real expectations.

Where he plays is irrelevant in my opinion. His weakness has been exposed...for all his technical skill he makes decisions too slowly. As my son said...he has almost the reverse of a Midas touch...gets the ball in, or works himself into, golden positions and turns them into ashes. 

Never going to make it at this level. Great season in Div. 1 but now time to move him on.

Is Freeman the type of player that will be consistent enough to take us to the level we are trying to achieve?

My personal opinion would be that he had probably reached his peak in the lower division

More than happy for him to prove me wrong with a run in the team but I am not holding my breath.

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

What do I expect him to do? Simple - something positive. If he hasn't the pace to take on players, why is he playing? Gary Johnson always said he wanted players who could affect the game. The only way he affects the game is by running into cul de sacs, losing possession, or giving a sideways pass. The number of times he scores or provides an assist is so small it's almost unmeasurable 

OK , accepting that you and I recognise he doesn't have the pace, then I'd suggest that some of his brighter team mates are aware of this too. Therefore give him some support . We don't make this argument for Tomlin. Little pace, plenty of support. He's a better player of course, but Freeman has no chance of affecting the game when he's isolated in the way he was today. 

Freeman had a lot of the ball today and got himself involved in looking for it. That all amounts to nothing if once you get the ball you become very predictable. Being predictable is just do easy for the opposition, they don't even have to make defensive decisions so can be one step ahead of players like Freeman. Suddenly a promising attack turns into frantic defending and us under pressure for no real reason.

Had Bryan been fit the obvious set up was him and Freeman providing the attacking crosses to Abraham and Kodjia. 

This obviously didn't happen.

I thought Freeman had his brightest start for ages and to a point was surprised how much of the ball he saw.

However much I try to defend Freeman and how I really want him to deliver on his obvious skill I'm starting to think it ain't going to happen. 

"Cross the fxxxxxg ball" must have been the most popular shout this afternoon, one even joined in by Tammy.

I think his time may be up. 

18 minutes ago, adamski said:

Poor old Dill the Dog, he has football dyslexia, can't read the game, can't see a pass- tries hard, but not enough at this level. Needs to get down to div 1.

excellent comparison - Dill the Dog!!!!

for those of you younger than me

3 hours ago, Lucan said:
2 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

Is Freeman the type of player that will be consistent enough to take us to the level we are trying to achieve?

My personal opinion would be that he had probably reached his peak in the lower division

More than happy for him to prove me wrong with a run in the team but I am not holding my breath.

How many players in that team could you genuinely say are consistent (or good) enough to take us to the next level? Kodjia hasn't scored all season, Tomlin hasn't performed, Bobby Reid was largely awful today. Freeman was one of our biggest dangers.

7 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

How many players in that team could you genuinely say are consistent (or good) enough to take us to the next level? Kodjia hasn't scored all season, Tomlin hasn't performed, Bobby Reid was largely awful today. Freeman was one of our biggest dangers.

Yes that free kick near the end when he hit the defender should have been a big danger.

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

Hear what you're saying but Tomlin, Kodjia have in my opinion a bit more in the tank and will undoubtedly be successful . Do you think Freeman has that quality because the harsh realities is over the last 50 games it's clear to me he hasn't. 

The game is about opinions and I can't agree that he was our biggest danger today. 

If we want to progress then Luke has got to get better or he needs to be replaced.

Question is if he was available for transfer would another championship club take him from us?

Needs to look up pick a pass and find a team mate, he gets the ball, the whole ground waits in anticipation and he stops and goes sideways, or he passes the wrong way or not at all.

Really frustrating player, he has the ability but he reminds me of a cheap firework ! 

Even lost the ability to play a 5 yard pass towards the end of the game, and gave the ball away on numerous occasions which you don't normally expect from him. Started ok down the left but lacked any actual delivery into the box. Running out of chances at this level imo

I thought Freeman played really well in the first and was a threat going forward.

In the second half when he moved across to right I thought he still played well but he cut into to many times to get the ball on to his his left foot.

I would pick Freemam over O'Dowda every time on the left.

9 hours ago, bearded_red said:

52 games at Ashton Gate. 0 goals.

With some of you lot getting on his back every week, it's hardly surprising is it*. Anyway, Freeman has never been a prolific goalscorer. The point is, he's a real handful for opposing defences, and I saw several instances of that yesterday.

*The same applies to Little. His confidence was shot to pieces yesterday. 

1 hour ago, bs3 said:

I thought Freeman played really well in the first and was a threat going forward.

In the second half when he moved across to right I thought he still played well but he cut into to many times to get the ball on to his his left foot.

I would pick Freemam over O'Dowda every time on the left.

I agree with this. I thought Freeman posed a threat in the first half. He was less effective in the second half but so was the whole team. O'Dowda didn't look any better when he came on.

50 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

With some of you lot getting on his back every week, it's hardly surprising is it*. 

*The same applies to Little. His confidence was shot to pieces yesterday. 

Nobody is getting on anybody's back. We are just expressing an opinion in the same way you stated that Bobby Reid was largely awful yesterday.

I can't agree with that opinion but I wouldn't say you are getting on Bobby Reid back because of that opinion.

This is a football forum and we all have to accept that we all see that game differently.

1 minute ago, Bicester Red said:

It is now time for Freeman to move on

We have to stop playing him NOW!

His corners are awful, and he is a weakness in our side now

Please sell him

Fed up of seeing him do the same poor displays over and over  

How can he be a weakness in our side when yesterday several players were much worse than him? He had a good game, and against a team who may well get auto promotion

Archived