IGNORED

Do we need a new club badge?

Reds2016

3 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

New badge? Pah! That's only the start! I say we rename ourselves to Bristol Sport AFC, and then continue on by renaming the rugby club Bristol Sport RFC, the women's football team Bristol Sport WFC and so on, until we all play under the "Bristol Sport" banner, with the twirly tornado thingy as our crest across the board. We can then proceed to rename Ashton Gate as "Bristol Sport Stadium connected by Vodafone", make our official club motto #MakingBristolProud, and make our club colours red and light blue. We can commission George Ezra to write us a new club anthem, entitled "One For The Bristol Sport", and change all our chants: for example, "City 'Till I Die" to "Making Bristol Proud 'Till I Die". Only then will I be satisfied with the club.

More of a vulva, than a twister.

5 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

New badge? Pah! That's only the start! I say we rename ourselves to Bristol Sport AFC, and then continue on by renaming the rugby club Bristol Sport RFC, the women's football team Bristol Sport WFC and so on, until we all play under the "Bristol Sport" banner, with the twirly tornado thingy as our crest across the board. We can then proceed to rename Ashton Gate as "Bristol Sport Stadium connected by Vodafone", make our official club motto #MakingBristolProud, and make our club colours red and light blue. We can commission George Ezra to write us a new club anthem, entitled "One For The Bristol Sport", and change all our chants: for example, "City 'Till I Die" to "Making Bristol Proud 'Till I Die". Only then will I be satisfied with the club.

Now you are talking - this is the modern thinking we need

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Well as it says Bristol City FC on it I would think you are correct.

But if you took the words out and presented in black and white to hide colours I bet you will get a decent percentage say Yeovil, Cheltenham etc.

I quite like the badge but it lacks the obvious club marks of the hammers, pirates etc

The Cheltenham badge is a (very) stylised robin...nothing like our crest.

Anyone would think we have Vincent tan in charge or that guy at Hull. I'm sure Mr. Lansdown respects the tradition in the club. But you never know.

Many clubs have changed badges doesn't mean we'll be renamed

6 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

I am not a big fan of this crest badge, it really does need improving but the club are going to keep this badge. I think they ought to do it like this

20160819_174430_HDR.jpg

It seems we have worn both badges in our history, we need to combine the 2 to make one really good badge a bit like the one posted earlier. Also with the true date of our club.

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

West Ham have become an Americanised shadow of themselves.

Eh? Why do you think that?!

They have moved to a new stadium and their updated badge retains the two crossed hammers....

How does that make them 'Americanised'?!

It's like the sags calling us 'plastic, franchise fans' - no justification for it whatsoever...

Absolutely yes, the badge is a generic crock of shit. Could be anyone

I like the new West Ham / Man City badges, would be more than happy if we redesigned like they both have

As much as I can't stand the ******* sight of it, you see the Pirate and you know it's the minnows. You see ours and it could be Burnley, Huddersfield, Bury or some other two bob looking northern power house badge

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I like the new West Ham / Man City badges, would be more than happy if we redesigned like they both have

As much as I can't stand the ******* sight of it, you see the Pirate and you know it's the minnows. You see ours and it could be Burnley, Huddersfield, Bury or some other two bob looking northern power house badge

....... image how the designer feels, reading this .............

:facepalm:

Uncle TFR

5 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

....... image how the designer feels, reading this .............

:facepalm:

Uncle TFR

Constructive criticism.... 

3 minutes ago, cider head said:

Doubt if the designer gives a toss as he is probably still laughing all the way to the bank ;)

This!

52 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Agreed...if you are going to use the coat of arms, it has to be done showing all the intricate detail, otherwise, like you say, it could be anyone. Plus the badges we have right now, look absolutely awful on the shirts. It's not 'modern'....it just looks cheap and tacky.

Considering how much effort has gone into designing the great looking stadium, I'm surprised what we have now, badge wise, was agreed. It looks awful.

17 hours ago, Lympsham Red said:

You forgot the cheerleaders, pigskin and helmets.

5 hours ago, Olé said:

Not sure I like what West Ham have done, but had a go myself.... other iterations further below

jt45yv.png

nh048j.png

They look pretty good, I guess you do this for a living - have you tried the traditional coat of arms / badge but with a robin instead of the unicorns holding our city's crest (the territorial Robins, it's mine !!)   ?

On 8/21/2016 at 17:38, Reds2016 said:

Just watching the West Ham game. They have a new badge, looks smart and very clear and clean.

Our current crest is not easily reconisable and arguably out of date. I'm not suggesting we bring the robin back. But maybe we need something fresh and new now.

of course we dont 

Walking to the British Sweet Shop here in Bowmanville, Ontario with my 10 year old son, he brings up the subject of Man City changing their badge.  I start telling him about our change of badge from a crest years ago to the Robin / Ball / Suspension bridge and now back to a crest again.  Next thing out of his mouth - "Bristol Rovers should change their badge, so the sword (cutlass I correct) is facing the other way".  "Oh so the pirate is stabbing himself" I ask.  "Exactly", he says.  While laughing out loud I was very proud of him and my parenting efforts, brought a tear to my eye.

Anybody with more photo-shop prowess than myself, a little project for you perhaps?

On 22 August 2016 at 16:43, Reds2016 said:

Top one looks great. Already an improvement.

I like the top one too @Olébut maybe not have the coat of arms armour on the bridge, leave that out altogether?

or have the second one of the smaller images, with the lions holding the shield with a small Robin up on the bridge in place of the armour?

Edit...I'm on a roll now...as I said with the Robin on the Bridge, but the football the Robin stands on could be the letter 'o' from Bristol, make the 'o' into a football.

ok I'll shut up now, that's why I don't work in design or graphics ha ha:P

14 minutes ago, RedM said:

but maybe not have the coat of arms armour on the bridge, leave that out altogether?

Now that I've learned what it's about, I actually think it's the most important part of the traditional badge. At the traditional resolution I think most people think it's just a knights helmet with some yellow and green streamers attached to it like a Norwich City FA Cup.

But actually the helmet 'depicts the armies that left Bristol in early history. The crossed arms over the crown hold scales in one hand, denoting justice and a green serpent in the other hand, indicating wisdom'*. Justice and wisdom, definitely red side of the city.

*Ye Olde English: "upon the heaulme ... issuant out of the cloudes two armes ... in the one hand a serpent vert, in the other a pair of balance gold" 

11 minutes ago, Olé said:

Now that I've learned what it's about, I actually think it's the most important part of the traditional badge. At the traditional resolution I think most people think it's just a knights helmet with some yellow and green streamers attached to it like a Norwich City FA Cup.

But actually the helmet 'depicts the armies that left Bristol in early history. The crossed arms over the crown hold scales in one hand, denoting justice and a green serpent in the other hand, indicating wisdom'*. Justice and wisdom, definitely red side of the city.

*Ye Olde English: "upon the heaulme ... issuant out of the cloudes two armes ... in the one hand a serpent vert, in the other a pair of balance gold" 

That was my dilemma, the blend of the old tradition and the new. I'm not criticising you as the designer, but I think you are intelligent enough to know that, but I think if the coat of arms/ armour is to be included it needs to be more dominant/ have a reason to be there and make a statement as such, not looking like a secondary afterthought. Again I'm not explaining this very well, so please don't take offence.

I guess if we were doing a really modern revamp then the traditional coat of arms etc wouldn't be included in such a detailed form if at all. But as you rightly say it would be a shame to lose it altogether. As I said to blend old and new isn't as easy as it sounds. 

Archived