IGNORED

The Signings That We Are Making Now.....

Jack Dawe

It's something I've been banging on about for years....

A long term plan, with decent manager, and most importantly, an infrastructure at the club, with which to work with.

Managers did it all in the past, pretty much...now we are getting that infrastructure in place.

The knock affect, is that Pros in the game, no longer look at us, as a nice Club but run by amateurs...but now Professional in what we do.

The best bit of business was getting Mark Ashton on board IMO. We needed someone who isn`t frightened of getting his hands dirty when dealing with other clubs and agents and I think LJ isn`t the type to get involved in the dark arts, it`s just not in his nature.

We needed someone ruthless who could walk the walk and that`s what we`ve got.

.... will propel us into Europe within 5 years.

City have certainly demonstrated one of the finest recruitment campaigns for many a summer, and they aren't finished yet.

Compare to the poor work so far at Burnley, Hull and Sunderland for example.  Just goes to show being a Prem club isn't everything.

I think a fair few were worried by Mark Ashton coming in, a perception of a 'suit'  but that combined with Des Taylor (who is a good scout) seems to have opened many doors that were locked under Burt / Cotterill

I would point out that we have now spent quite a lot more than ever before, and that's SL unlocking the purse strings. The pressure is now on the team (both playing and management) to deliver,

this feels like the 'throw of the dice' that we've been urging from SL for some time, lets not **** it up!

Mark Ashton is the key for me.

He's come in and immediately turned our transfer activity on it's head.

Yes we'd all have loved to land a Gayle or a Gray last season, but with Johnson we're looking to build a squad of competent Championship footballers with their best years ahead of them, rather than lump all our eggs in a multi-million pound basket that might be looking beyond us to his next contract....

1 or 2 more faces and a solid January window could set us up for a serious run at the top 6 next season. :fingerscrossed:

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

.... will propel us into Europe within 5 years.

City have certainly demonstrated one of the finest recruitment campaigns for many a summer, and they aren't finished yet.

Compare to the poor work so far at Burnley, Hull and Sunderland for example.  Just goes to show being a Prem club isn't everything.

Man Utd made a mess of their recruitment, the summer SAF left, and his chief exec (can't remember his name). It was a shambles with two imposters trying to conduct transfer negotiations in Spain at one point. They only seem to have got back on track this summer. Wegner has struggled since David Dein left. It happens to the biggest and the best.

It's worth SL getting in and paying top dollar for the three or four key off-field positions/staff. There's no ffp/restrictions on money lavished on CEOs, scouts or medical staff (or whatever the key positions are)is there? Monkeys/peanuts etc

Another point that may be lost on some. Never before do I remember Bristol City spending so much on transfer fees for defenders. Forget the inflated amounts compared with twenty or thirty years ago and look at the quality and age of those we are recruiting.

We are following the philosophies of the great past masters like Clough, Revie and Shankly, They sorted out the defence first because if you don't concede, you do not lose.

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

The best bit of business was getting Mark Ashton on board IMO. We needed someone who isn`t frightened of getting his hands dirty when dealing with other clubs and agents and I think LJ isn`t the type to get involved in the dark arts, it`s just not in his nature.

I think LJ can be ruthless behind the scenes,

5 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Exactly - masterstroke to ensure both Tammy and Matthews cannot be recalled from their season long loans....but we can still get Wes back if needs be...

4 hours ago, Antman said:

I think a fair few were worried by Mark Ashton coming in, a perception of a 'suit'  but that combined with Des Taylor (who is a good scout) seems to have opened many doors that were locked under Burt / Cotterill

I would point out that we have now spent quite a lot more than ever before, and that's SL unlocking the purse strings. The pressure is now on the team (both playing and management) to deliver,

this feels like the 'throw of the dice' that we've been urging from SL for some time, lets not **** it up!

Totally agree. Burt and Cotts' immense contributions to our history must never be forgotten. We were lost and lowly in League One, then we stormed to the title.

That was their time and their level. Simple as that I think. It would be nice for them to come back as guests of honour for a game and receive a proper ovation on the pitch holding the 'double' trophies...that season was amazing, we won the bloody division! How many of us have ever seen that happen?!

Now the baton has been passed to Ashton, Taylor and Johnson, and onwards we go....

44 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I think LJ can be ruthless behind the scenes,

Oh I think he can. I just don`t think he`s that comfortable with the murky world of agents and the like, it goes against his principles, whereas Mark Ashton is more experienced and I daresay more thick skinned when it comes to stuff like that.

I could be wrong and LJ could be the devil incarnate when negotiating transfers though!

4 hours ago, Antman said:

Seems to me with all these young signings that the pressure is not on, for this season at least.

Progress needed for sure, but this for a first time in many years has to be a long term project. If it's a throw of the dice it's a long throw.

However we do this season I would be amazed if we don't improve the next one. And to think Johnson has said it will take three windows to get us to where he wants us squad wise.

The future looks bright, the future looks RED.!!!!!

Archived