IGNORED

Jonathan Kodjia interview on Aston Villa web site

Never to the dark side

3 minutes ago, Tall King Blox said:

Was like listening to a parrot, but hey, I can't speak French so power to him, good luck Jimmy 

His English is far better than my French as well!

He's clearly not particularly comfortable speaking English in front of a camera, which probably explains why we kept them away from him. Sure the good Doctor Xia will have been less bothered about such trivialities after his big investment in him. It's difficult enough to move to a new country and learn a new language, particularly as the only non-native speaker in the group (as he was for a while), without having a camera shoved in your face.

Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy...you are what the French call 'le pénis'.

We knew we were just a stepping stone in your career and last year your goals probably kept us in the division but did you really have to leave such a sour taste in mine, and other city fans mouths with the way you went about forcing a move?

You brought us some much needed excitement last year and were certainly a fans favourite but now personally I hope your career stagnates just like Villas 'history' and we smile & wave down at you when we reach the premier league you so greatly wish to be in.

1 minute ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy...you are what the French call 'le pénis'.

We knew we were just a stepping stone in your career and last year your goals probably kept us in the division but did you really have to leave such a sour taste in mine, and other city fans mouths with the way you went about forcing a move?

You brought us some much needed excitement last year and were certainly a fans favourite but now personally I hope your career stagnates just like Villas 'history' and we smile & wave down at you when we reach the premier league you so greatly wish to be in.

What did he do that was so bad? All we know is that he was reluctant to play at Scunthorpe and asked to be transferred. Nothing particularly outrageous.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What did he do that was so bad? All we know is that he was reluctant to play at Scunthorpe and asked to be transferred. Nothing particularly outrageous.

If I refused to do my job, I'd be sacked on the spot. 

What makes footballers so high and mighty the are exempt from that ? Oh yeah of course they are investments, they are worth wods of cash.

cant wait for the day one of them tries it on, gets slapped in the reserves and rots for the remainder of his contract !!

8 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Surely refusing to do his job that he was being paid for is gross misconduct? In my eyes that's pretty spectacular.

2 minutes ago, Robbie_Turner said:

What makes footballers so high and mighty the are exempt from that ? Oh yeah of course they are investments, they are worth wods of cash.

cant wait for the day one of them tries it on, gets slapped in the reserves and rots for the remainder of his contract !!

Sadly I just think that's the way it is now. Unfortunately it is to be expected and will continue to happen as we attract more valuable players on bigger wages with bigger egos.

Who knows the people advising Kodjia, it may well have been their idea - not that it takes responsibility away from him. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Sadly I just think that's the way it is now. Unfortunately it is to be expected and will continue to happen as we attract more valuable players on bigger wages with bigger egos.

Who knows the people advising Kodjia, it may well have been their idea - not that it takes responsibility away from him. 

Unfortunately I think you're correct. If the long term strategy for the club is being self sufficient we will see a lot of coming and goings over the years and we can't avert to the fact we got 15m for a player who quite frankly could be a one hit wonder.

Its just a shame he couldn't be honest & upfront with us from the start of the summer thus giving us a chance to replace him properly.

7 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Unfortunately I think you're correct. If the long term strategy for the club is being self sufficient we will see a lot of coming and goings over the years and we can't avert to the fact we got 15m for a player who quite frankly could be a one hit wonder.

I'm sure there's more misdemeanours by our players we don't know about that fans wouldn't like hearing! 

With the Kodjia situation though; in his shoes, if I thought it would get me the move I wanted, I'd probably do the same. It worked as it appeared to speed up his sale which makes things like this appealing to players.. And the cycle continues!

At last it seems Bcfc has got its act together regarding shifting players out in a much more ruthless fashion. Players sign contracts and abuse them as and when it suits them, usually in pursuit of more bucks. As much as it saddens me loyalty to their employer (Bcfc) is low on most players agenda. The fact Bcfc is viewing players as a piece of meat to be traded for profit is a sign of the times in modern football, one area that we have failed miserably with in previous years.

3 hours ago, Robbie_Turner said:

Simple.  You sack him, you terminate their contract and then they go on a free.

Getting on for 15 million reasons why you have to be more pragmatic.

Hi all. Joined the forum recently 46 years of supporting  the Mighty Reds from 'the wrong side of the River'.My eldest son ( now 30 years of age, who I pronounced a Red at his birth) had told me I had something to contribute.He lives and works in London and we are  meeting up for the Fulham game on the 24th along with the rest of the travelling crew. I have told my son of many magic memories, some of which I knew he wouldn't believe, until he himself became a Red at 7 years of age when he saw his first game at Ashton Gate. I will never forget the day I met my girlfriend from Knowle and she told me that she and her family were all City fans and would welcome a 'wrong 'un!  Bless you all. 'Sir' Alan Dicks, the magic team of the late 60's and early 70's, the following managers and players who played for us and fought for us, the 'real lovers of Bristol City Football Club' and I mean you Mr Lansdown. You are indeed 'Heaven Sent'. You have given so much, along with your family's time and dedication to give us, and make us, what we have and are today.  I can only say that every visit to the Gate is ever more emotional and  meeting more and more mates that I last saw many years ago makes me feel at home. I am feeling a little mellow at the moment after a few beers but please expect  more brutal, honest and totally unbiased reports as we travel along together. Our Stadium is amazing!!! Ask away fans (outside the Prem) They F'kin love it .....and us!

I hate all this relate to our own employment rubbish. It's completely incomparable; totally. 

Take Kodjia, he was the star man in our team last year and scored 20 goals, a pretty spectacular return we'd all agree for a team in our position. 

Now let's say in your employment you did the same and had a spectacular year; great.

Fast forward six months and you've been headhunted for a role at a new organisation offering to give you a hefty pay rise and better future career prospects, 8 outta 10 cats resign and move. Why do we consider footballers different?

What if you then consider that your employer makes 400% profit on you alone if you do move to take this new opportunity you want, do you think they're being reasonable standing in their way? I bloody wouldn't. 

What if you, having scored 20, find yourself out of position on the right wing 2 games on the bounce whilst knowing you have a short shelf life in your profession and have to grab the bull by the horns for your career's sake, do you still say 'OK fine'? 

Football is nothing like employment. There are few parallels. In the real world you have notice to serve and then you go. In football you sign a fixed term agreement and have to see that out unless you can convince your employer otherwise. A resignation letter is tantamount to 'I don't want to play'. 

I'm a Bristol City fan first and foremost. I have no affinity to Kodjia but one season of good performance. But frankly I find him totally justified. He did well and earned progression, at the same time we were being more than appropriately compensated, appeared to have a replacement and furthermore shunted him in favour of said replacement. He did little more than 'write a letter of resignation', one he was - in my eyes - entitled to do given we threatened to stand in the way of his career by playing him out of position when the season before he more than earned the right to be forgiven a barren patch up top. 

If in your job you had a fantastic year, went through a short barren patch, got 'demoted' to somewhere you weren't going to thrive very swiftly and had another opportunity on the table which gave your employer adequate compensation, are you really telling me you wouldn't through a sicky or say 'I want out' - well you wouldn't say it because you'd likely tell them - only a doormat wouldn't. 

Winston Bogarde got close. Lots of money for not playing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Bogarde

His agent last seen selling ice to an eskimo.

If I refused to do my job, I'd be sacked on the spot

You obviously don't work in similar companies to which I've worked.  You would get on a disciplinary, got threw months of informal performance management, and at the point it gets close to going formal, you bring in your Union, who find a loophole and the process starts all over again.  Reckon in the places I've worked you'd do well to be sacked in less than 9-12 months.  Shocking isn't it!  I spent a year trying to demote someone, let alone sack them.

Dont forget Kodjia's contract isn't just about the 90 minutes, it covers training etc.  In the real world, he'd have thrown a sickie...a bit of man-flu, or said he's gonna work from home (or shirk from home as I call it).

re your last sentence....you mean Saido Berahino!

37 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Simple.  You sack him, you terminate their contract and then they go on a free.

Getting on for 15 million reasons why you have to be more pragmatic.

Spot on! 

13 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I hate all this relate to our own employment rubbish. It's completely incomparable; totally. 

Exactly - but you then go on to only list the things that work against a footballer.

It's not comparable and that's precisely why they should be expected to do a bit more than refuse to come to work.

If it was a permanent job they'd have the same notice to give us as we give them. They are not - they are on a fixed contract and WE have to pay them to the end of a contract if we want to get rid of them. So the differences are precisely why they owe their employers more.

They get a massive signing on fee to sign that contract and make a commitment. Life changing amounts of money. At a guess Kodjia got half a million.

To not play a game of football because you want out and believe you're not getting your way when you picked up a big cheque to commit to us has no equal in the real world and is spineless. There are other ways to leave without ripping off your employers. 

Football is a very different and special form of employment but class and morals are universal.

11 minutes ago, Olé said:

Exactly - but you then go on to only list the things that work against a footballer.

It's not comparable and that's precisely why they should be expected to do a bit more than refuse to come to work.

If it was a permanent job they'd have the same notice to give us as we give them. They are not - they are on a fixed contract and WE have to pay them to the end of a contract if we want to get rid of them. So the differences are precisely why they owe their employers more.

They get a massive signing on fee to sign that contract and make a commitment. Life changing amounts of money. At a guess Kodjia got half a million.

To not play a game of football because you want out and believe you're not getting your way when you picked up a big cheque to commit to us has no equal in the real world and is spineless. There are other ways to leave without ripping off your employers. 

Football is a very different and special form of employment but class and morals are universal.

But you miss a vital point - transfer fees. You don't sack someone for the sake of losing that.

You also forget Bosman. It's all well saying rot in the reserves but if you try to do that to a player, well it's only the next step from Bosman to say that's tantamount to termination. . 

But to be clear, there's only one reason a player like Kodjia could refuse to come to work. And that's the transfer fee. Yes we might consider terminating his contract as a result and he and villa say 'superb'. We ask for compensation, well what's that? For the sake of simplicity if on a 3 year deal and we got 12 months we are saying 2/3rd his signing and 2/3rds his signing on fee. 

There's very few contractual situations which are so staked in favour of a party than a footballers contract in favour of a club. Even your actors on soaps or self employed IT contractor has notice clauses. A footballer doesn't. Sorry, even as a fan my heart can't bleed for a club. 

41 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Take Kodjia, he was the star man in our team last year and scored 20 goals, a pretty spectacular return we'd all agree for a team in our position. 

Now let's say in your employment you did the same and had a spectacular year; great.

Fast forward six months and you've been headhunted for a role at a new organisation offering to give you a hefty pay rise and better future career prospects, 8 outta 10 cats resign and move. Why do we consider footballers different?

What if you then consider that your employer makes 400% profit on you alone if you do move to take this new opportunity you want, do you think they're being reasonable standing in their way? I bloody wouldn't. 

What if you, having scored 20, find yourself out of position on the right wing 2 games on the bounce whilst knowing you have a short shelf life in your profession and have to grab the bull by the horns for your career's sake, do you still say 'OK fine'? 

Football is nothing like employment. There are few parallels. In the real world you have notice to serve and then you go. In football you sign a fixed term agreement and have to see that out unless you can convince your employer otherwise. A resignation letter is tantamount to 'I don't want to play'. 

I'm a Bristol City fan first and foremost. I have no affinity to Kodjia but one season of good performance. But frankly I find him totally justified. He did well and earned progression, at the same time we were being more than appropriately compensated, appeared to have a replacement and furthermore shunted him in favour of said replacement. He did little more than 'write a letter of resignation', one he was - in my eyes - entitled to do given we threatened to stand in the way of his career by playing him out of position when the season before he more than earned the right to be forgiven a barren patch up top. 

If in your job you had a fantastic year, went through a short barren patch, got 'demoted' to somewhere you weren't going to thrive very swiftly and had another opportunity on the table which gave your employer adequate compensation, are you really telling me you wouldn't through a sicky or say 'I want out' - well you wouldn't say it because you'd likely tell them - only a doormat wouldn't. 

Or perhaps you realise that a younger footballer who has hit the ground running has come along and the position you once played is challenged. 

Nothing against JK but doesn't seem like he was in it with us for the long game.

@29AR agree with everything you say. I'm not even suggesting we would sack the guy, I think we are wildly agreeing now that everything is in their favour. We get a reward for putting up with the BS so all is good in the world. 

But there is no reason a footballer can't be successful and not move many times without actually saying to a manager and his teammates that he doesn't fancy playing.

Respecting an employer given that level of reward is a basic courtesy and it doesn't need to be optional on the way to the top.

4 minutes ago, allyolly said:

Or perhaps you realise that a younger footballer who has hit the ground running has come along and the position you once played is challenged. 

Nothing against JK but doesn't seem like he was in it with us for the long game.

With a career between ages 18-34 should he be? 

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

@29AR agree with everything you say. I'm not even suggesting we would sack the guy, I think we are wildly agreeing now that everything is in their favour. We get a reward for putting up with the BS so all is good in the world. 

But there is no reason a footballer can't be successful and not move many times without actually saying to a manager and his teammates that he doesn't fancy playing.

Respecting an employer given that level of reward is a basic courtesy and it doesn't need to be optional on the way to the top.

I think we are, but at polar opposites on the 'no thanks, not tonight boss'. I see that as a levelling of the powers. 

A player cannot serve notice: he is bound by his fixed term agreement. That's massively in favour of the club and unlike most all contracts which allow a notice. If my hazy memory is correct Bosman's whole argument was that, before his free transfer ruling, it was akin to slavery - could be wrong but I think that's kind've the jist of it: Club held registration and at their whim could release it or not. 

If you're not valuable, more fool you if you take the not playing route, you could find yourself on your ear and arguably your club seeking damages for your signing on fee. If you are valuable, it's a levelling off because you know the club won't sack you and you've kind've got yourself a notice period. 

In that sense I don't feel an injustice in a player 'playing hardball'. Indeed just to switch it back in to a clubs favour a player only has this tactic during the summer and during Jan. Outside those periods it would seem foolish given clubs seem to value based on form. 

4 minutes ago, allyolly said:

Looks like we did pretty much everything we could for him after moving from France. A bit bit of loyalty would have been nice in my opinion. But if he doesn't want it with us get rid.

If he left cheap I'd agree. £9m profit , that's where I disagree. 

Archived