IGNORED

Jonathan Kodjia interview on Aston Villa web site

Never to the dark side

12 hours ago, Olé said:

@29AR agree with everything you say. I'm not even suggesting we would sack the guy, I think we are wildly agreeing now that everything is in their favour. We get a reward for putting up with the BS so all is good in the world. 

But there is no reason a footballer can't be successful and not move many times without actually saying to a manager and his teammates that he doesn't fancy playing.

Respecting an employer given that level of reward is a basic courtesy and it doesn't need to be optional on the way to the top.

Unfortunately the only option is to secure the transfer fee and then 'out'  the truth when they are gone so punters can form their own opinion. 

12 hours ago, allyolly said:

Looks like we did pretty much everything we could for him after moving from France. A bit bit of loyalty would have been nice in my opinion. But if he doesn't want it with us get rid.

Apart from showing him how to get to AG for his first home game. :P

I think he showed his loyalty through the way he performed on the pitch.  You can bet he's been given a significant wage increase, plus 4 year contract.  I don't get the sense of bitterness.  I don't think he's kept us in the lurch.  We could've knocked back the offer from Villa, Derby, whoever and said we want you to stay til January so that we can properly spend time finding your replacement.  LJ and team will have a list of targets, they just might not be in a position to get them at the mo'.

I'd like to hear JK's side of it re Scunthorpe.  

17 hours ago, Robbie_Turner said:

If I refused to do my job, I'd be sacked on the spot. 

...and replaced very quickly with someone else who can do your job with no extra cost.

unfortunately not the way it works in industry where the required talent is not so readily available.

Plus if we had sacked him he could have joined Villa for free!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Apart from showing him how to get to AG for his first home game. :P

I think he showed his loyalty through the way he performed on the pitch.  You can bet he's been given a significant wage increase, plus 4 year contract.  I don't get the sense of bitterness.  I don't think he's kept us in the lurch.  We could've knocked back the offer from Villa, Derby, whoever and said we want you to stay til January so that we can properly spend time finding your replacement.  LJ and team will have a list of targets, they just might not be in a position to get them at the mo'.

I'd like to hear JK's side of it re Scunthorpe.  

Fair enough maybe loyalty is the wrong word. Perhaps appreciation and an acknowledgement of what the club and the fans have done would have been a better way of putting it. I know everyone is different and I'm not suggesting we all suddenly get sentimental after what is essentially a job but I do like it when players take the trouble like Derrick Williams has on twitter. Maybe Kodjia has or will do....

CqyjzQnXYAARUJ_.jpg

7 minutes ago, allyolly said:

Fair enough maybe loyalty is the wrong word. Perhaps appreciation and an acknowledgement of what the club and the fans have done would have been a better way of putting it. I know everyone is different and I'm not suggesting we all suddenly get sentimental after what is essentially a job but I do like it when players take the trouble like Derrick Williams has on twitter. Maybe Kodjia has or will do....

He posted a message in French on Instagram...

...perhaps that it's in French and not English might say something about how much he integrated himself...

32 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

He posted a message in French on Instagram...

...perhaps that it's in French and not English might say something about how much he integrated himself...

Fair enough hadn't seen that before. Anyway for what it's worth I'm very happy with the way it seems to have worked out. Ok we are a little light up front but we still have options and hopefully time to spend wisely in January. By then our position in the league will dictate exactly what we might need in terms of new players. 

4 minutes ago, allyolly said:

Fair enough hadn't seen that before. Anyway for what it's worth I'm very happy with the way it seems to have worked out. Ok we are a little light up front but we still have options and hopefully time to spend wisely in January. By then our position in the league will dictate exactly what we might need in terms of new players. 

Our position in the league will also dictate what standard of player we can attract to 

I just hope out league position doesn't suffer due to our lack of fire power

17 hours ago, Red Rag said:

At last it seems Bcfc has got its act together regarding shifting players out in a much more ruthless fashion.

This.  You don't get more ruthless, then shipping a player out for a massive profit when he clearly didn't want to be here.

It plain and simple great business.

On transfer deadline day TalkSport were reporting we signed Grabban on a season long loan.  If that were true it would have been the Royal Flush of ins and outs.  Sadly it was not.

Probably the deal was close, but this is where we operate now.  Got to love it

Stevo

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

So what do you think our goals for will suffer because of this sell? 10, 8, 5, ? Well I don't think it will suffer at all, in fact I reckon it could unleash the beast in the likes of Tomlin ;) to take on even more responsibilities, and then of course we have the Swede and Tammy to head the scoring charts, for me it's all about wanting the shirt, and yet some are sending messages to JK like he was another Atyeo, he was wanting £££££££'s and didn't care who coughed up...good riddance.  And thanks for the millions. 

You could well be right. I wonder if it did ever go through his mind when a pass to JK was on not to make it as he`d probably miss the chance and try and take it himself. If the same pass was on to TA I reckon he might think differently.

23 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Its just a shame he couldn't be honest & upfront with us from the start of the summer thus giving us a chance to replace him properly.

Who knows? He might have been. That contract he signed will set him up for life. Any of us would do the same, we would give notice to our employer, thats not possible with footballers, and we got millions in exchange. I would personally like to see a statement from him thanking us for what we did for him, but hey.

16 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Who knows? He might have been. That contract he signed will set him up for life. Any of us would do the same, we would give notice to our employer, thats not possible with footballers, and we got millions in exchange. I would personally like to see a statement from him thanking us for what we did for him, but hey.

he hardly would have been hard up on the 10-15k p/w he was on here though would he?

All out refusing to play a game is very disrespectful to the club that took a chance on him and put him in the spotlight.

30 minutes ago, simon uk said:

He did on his Twitter and was linked on here, not a user of Twitter myself so can't direct you to it. 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Making Villa think they got a bargain :facepalm:

I just happened to be looking through their thread on him and up it popped. I can`t seem to get a link for it though, it`s from twitter.

If you want a look it`s on page 23 of their `Kodjia` thread on the forum you link to from here.

It is a good goal TBF.

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Making Villa think they got a bargain :facepalm:

Though this is sour apples a bit. My heart sunk when I seen the goal on Facebook. Still loads of raw talent in Jonathan. Whether he can unlock that at Villa is a debate worth having because they're a nightmare of a club. Part of me thought he'd be a nightmare at Leicester with a good manager and infrastructure. His pace, power and flexibility is that of a top footballer. Just his IQ is a bit of a let down. Tactically naive were the words. I think with improved English and another year under LJ he could've maybe come on even more. Seeing him score goals like he did for IC makes me miss him a bit already. Love Tammy but not our player. We will see with Gustav but I doubt we'll see the same flair. 

Depends how you look at it.

His goal secured the draw.

The draw secured their place in the finals. A defeat would have knocked them out.

His goal now means he will be missing for Villa for some games.

Not sure I would have been celebrating as a Villa fan myself.

Good goal mind - must have borrowed the AG film crew!

https://mobile.twitter.com/African_Soccer/status/772142733972664321

said it before villa was the wrong move for him. If he unlocks his potential he's a decent prem level striker Imo. All this talk of Maynard comparisons is complete bs, just look at his tweet thanking the fans club and players. Sour grapes doesn't do anyone any favours, although its good for both parties if he didn't want to be here.

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Though this is sour apples a bit. My heart sunk when I seen the goal on Facebook. Still loads of raw talent in Jonathan. Whether he can unlock that at Villa is a debate worth having because they're a nightmare of a club. Part of me thought he'd be a nightmare at Leicester with a good manager and infrastructure. His pace, power and flexibility is that of a top footballer. Just his IQ is a bit of a let down. Tactically naive were the words. I think with improved English and another year under LJ he could've maybe come on even more. Seeing him score goals like he did for IC makes me miss him a bit already. Love Tammy but not our player. We will see with Gustav but I doubt we'll see the same flair. 

I think Villa have arguably the strongest attacking options in the league.

Initially I wasn't sure he'd get that many starts as they have McCormack and Gestede as well as Ayew, but as a Villa fan pointed out to me, you wouldn't spend £11m (rising to £15m) on a backup, not in the Championship anyway.

28 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Though this is sour apples a bit. My heart sunk when I seen the goal on Facebook. 

Mine too a bit. He's certainly got something. I do hope he does well though, no hard feelings from me.

I get the the feeling he'll either be a huge hit or massive flop. Be interesting to see how he copes with the level of expectation that being at a bigger club brings, and carrying a £11-15m price tag. 

He didn't have that with us at all because he was such an unknown quantity. There was very little expectation on him or us to be competing in the league. 

Good luck JK, I shall watch with interest.

As far as JK moving on goes, look at it for what it is which is a fantastic piece of business for the club - the best in a long, long time and one that we should be applauding the club for.

SL is not like the Rovers chairmen of days gone by where transfer funds disappear - £11mill is chump change to him and that money will be reinvested in the club and will go a long way to helping us keep within the bounds of FFP.

As far as JK's ability goes - bags of it and no doubt his goals were massively important to us last season, but I often found myself more frustrated watching him than anything. How many times did he stray offside? How many times did he try to take on 3-4 men himself where a pass was on to AN Other? 

The guy has potential, but as someone else has said, I can either see him being a huge success at Villa or a total flop. Unfortunately, with their chairman, the expectations of their support and the fee paid I imagine they are going to expect JK to start banging in the goals straight away, where I feel he needs coaching and time to develop, which I do not think he will get their.

Time will tell though and I've moved on.

To be fair, Villa fans don`t seem to be that bothered about the fee - a lot saying it`s a fair price if they go up and I suppose they`re used to paying this kind of money for players who often don`t make it. One said that if his goals help get them promoted and they then sold him back to us for £5m that would be a good bit of business. Not that we`d be interested I guess though. I think it won`t be as much of a monkey on his back as it would be if we`d bought him for £11m after one good championship season.

Good luck to kodja. His goals helped us stay up last season and to come over from France not speaking the language etc I think he done well and probably more than expected of him.

regards not playing at Scunthorpe , not wanting to play and refusing to play are very different. I would bet all the tea in china that if city new there was a £15 million transfer round the corner, that they wouldn't have let him play either!! 

Got  a feeling him leaving might suit LT though as likes to be the star man and hopefully that will suit him?

11 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

They are making quite a big deal of now having two out of last season`s top four championship goalscorers with the two they haven`t got being in the prem anyway which is a fair point to a certain extent I suppose.

Those 2 strikers spent most of the season in struggling sides, which is what I think they might be doing this season. Villa were weak in midfield and weak at the back and dont look like they addressed that at all which just reminds me of Fulham last season.

On 02/09/2016 at 23:58, Olé said:

@29AR agree with everything you say. I'm not even suggesting we would sack the guy, I think we are wildly agreeing now that everything is in their favour. We get a reward for putting up with the BS so all is good in the world. 

But there is no reason a footballer can't be successful and not move many times without actually saying to a manager and his teammates that he doesn't fancy playing.

Respecting an employer given that level of reward is a basic courtesy and it doesn't need to be optional on the way to the top.

I don't think I would have played him anyways-the moment I know he wants to leave,and that he will go for 10mil plus-whats the point..in my mind at that very moment he's an ex player.and the risk of serious injury scuppering said millions..?..I imagine SL would've wanted JK wrapped in cotton wool until the deal was signed!!

Archived