IGNORED

Slovakia vs England

BRISTOL86

5 hours ago, Super said:

I actually think Lallana isn't far off being a top player, obviously needs to add more goals but you can see the talent is there. Still staggering he was left out against Iceland.

Isn't far off being a top player? He'll be 30 by the time the World Cup comes along. He'd better get a move on then. 

I don't know what the majority of people expected yesterday, it's not like at club level where he can just go and sign new players over the summer,  as far as I can see we have just beat a team we failed to beat at the euros on their own patch - it wasn't great but the man must be afforded some time, he was 3 premier league games in to his reign when he had to pick a squad. 

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

On BBC Big Sam was obviously very pleased with the win claiming that England deserved it but highlighted the poor finishing especially against 10 men. 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Sam says it's not up to him where Rooney plays for England. He will play where he wants!!'

That Sam does not think it's his decision the position players take up on the pitch... well very strange. He claims Rooney has more international experience than him so it's not for him to tell Rooney where to play.. FFS we have a real mickey mouse setup.

As expected. Slovakia put ten behind the ball, then ten minus one. England lacked a cutting edge as they have for a decade.Rooney played the pass of the night in the 86th minute!!

Mr Allardyce changed little. He cannot. He has the same players to choose from. Virtually all are not the top players at their clubs and benefit from playing from superior foreign players in the club XI's.

England is not dedicated and professional enough as a nation, from junior level upwards to change anything. Mr Allardyce is no yes man, but will change nothing. England will qualify, fail, Mr Allardyce does his job ... Then repeat with new man in charge ahead of the same short termism producing the same dearth of talent.

Interesting comments from Hoddle and Wright post match. The ENGLISH premier league is more or less not fit to produce English players for England's XI. The spoke openly regarding the championship being the home of English players and the championship being restructured to benefit the England team. A novel idea.

3 hours ago, I am the mole said:

Good result away from home against a team that wanted to defend and Nick a point!

As the old adage goes win you home games and draw your away and you'll be there or there abouts at the end of the seasoning well we did slightly better than expected a good sign I feel!

3 hours ago, Super said:

Plenty of thyme!

Sorry.

7 hours ago, RedDave said:

Sam says it's not up to him where Rooney plays for England. He will play where he wants!!'

Thats not quite what he said. He said he doesn't need to tel Wayne how to play - now what he says to the media and what is said behind closed doors can be two different things.

6 hours ago, Fiale said:

That Sam does not think it's his decision the position players take up on the pitch... well very strange. He claims Rooney has more international experience than him so it's not for him to tell Rooney where to play.. FFS we have a real mickey mouse setup.

Again, not what he said. He allowed Rooney the freedom to come and get the ball. Whether thats right or wrong for the team remains to be seen.

Allardyce, who took over from Roy Hodgson in July, says he "can't stop" Rooney from dropping into midfield, adding the player has a "lot more experience at international football" than he does.

"It's not for me to say where he's going to play," said the former Sunderland, West Ham, Newcastle and Bolton boss, 61. "It's up to me to ask whether he's doing well in that position and contributing."

The attitude of Rooney is frightening, annoyed when he announced his retirement after the next world cup the presumptuous little twit, even more annoyed now.

If the English management are so scared of their 'stars' they can be dictated to then they need to grow a pair and drop the self serving wotsits.

Sam has managed to make himself look like a spineless sycophant already, impressive going.

7 minutes ago, SARJ said:

After the Iceland/Euro embarrassment, I've given up with England.

And judging from the comments on here, seems like I didn't miss much of a game.

One thing of note is that neither Ian Wright nor Lee Dixon seemed aware that the England manager's christian name is truncated to "Sam" as opposed to "Bigsam"

Today's Fiver on yesterday:

PLAY IT, SAM

With the rubble of their summer despair behind them, Sunday night marked that point in The Cycle when the obligatory mourning period following England’s most recent calamitous tournament exit ends and the comically misguided hope before the next one flickers into life. Tentative at first, it will gradually reach full throttle as England sweep all before them in qualifying and then … well, y’know.

With Mr Roy having been jettisoned and possibly still sitting in a Chantilly media room not really knowing what he’s doing there, Sam Allardyce took charge and introduced swingeing changes by starting only eight of the players who ran around looking so confused against Iceland, when England took their first steps down the road to redemption in Trnava. Having huffed and puffed for more than 90 minutes in much the same fashion as they had against exactly the same opposition a couple of months ago, they finally blew Slovakia’s house down courtesy of the lucky coin a young child had given Sam earlier that day, though Adam Lallana may beg to differ.

More: Sam Allardyce bats away questions over Wayne Rooney’s role in England victory | Dominic Fifield  

A cursory look at Sam’s CV is enough to tell you he’s no miracle worker so he was always unlikely to transform England’s fortunes in just one game, but it was his post-match comments regarding the apparently undroppable Wayne Rooney that suggested the new boss may not be entirely dissimilar to the old boss, or indeed any of the bosses that have remained so in awe of the once-brilliant player’s fading superpowers. Having been appointed with the brief of telling England’s under-performing players exactly what to do, Sam admitted afterwards that he is in no position to tell England’s underperforming players what to do. “I think [Rooney] holds a lot more experience at international football than I do as an international manager,” he said. “So, when he’s using his experience and playing as a team member, it’s not for me to say where he’s going to play.”

Ho and indeed hum. Having assured the ladies and gentlemen of the Fourth Estate in the buildup to the game that Rooney would not be playing in midfield against Slovakia, Sam was at least occasionally vindicated when Rooney dropped from his deep-lying midfield role to play as central defender or sweeper. Furthermore, it is hardly unfair to say that the Big Finger O’ Blame for much of England’s ponderous play could be pointed towards their captain, whose signposted passing towards the flanks did little to inject any of the urgency Sam felt was missing under the old regime. “This is the most decorated outfield player in England,” blabbered Sam, when quizzed on Rooney’s role. “He’s won everything at Manchester United, at [Big Cup] and domestic level.” Of course, so have Davids Beckham and May but nobody’s clamouring for their inclusion. “We aren’t going to make a big deal about it are we?” enquired Sam eventually, suggesting that, unlike Rooney, he still has an awful lot to learn.

Just heard an interesting comment from Pat Nevin on the radio when asked about England's perceived lack of leaders.  To paraphrase him, when you have one dominant character in a team, other leaders won't necessarily emerge until that character is moved aside.  He suggested that Rooney may well be 'rested' for a few games to see what happens. Who will emerge as a leader?  It's worth remembering that our best performance by a mile recently was against Germany in March when both Rooney and Hart weren't involved.  

It's the endgame for him - he'll go to the World Cup as Captain of the squad but I don't think his place will be guaranteed as others should have supplanted him by then.

If the Rooney retirement statement  wasn't sanctioned by management they should have slapped him down.  Just announce his service to England has been much appreciated but he is not in the national team's plans, send a statement that no player is bigger than the team.

Flew home from Vienna tonight after an excellent couple of days / nights in Bratislava and Trnava. 

Reading some of the posts above, you'd think Slovakia were a bunch of amateurs or part timers who we should be beating 10-0. Fact is, they're ranked 24th in the world, they beat Spain in the last qualification campaign, and they knocked out defending champions Italy from the 2010 World Cup. Anyone who's watched Napoli in recent years will know Marek Hamsik is a very decent player. And they're very well organised defensively. Perhaps they're due a modicum of respect for the way they defended in Saint Etiennne and for 94 and a half minutes last night?

It was baking hot in Trnava and we restricted Slovakia to zero efforts on target. Zero. OK we struggled going forward for the first 70 minutes but Allardyce made 3 substitutions that all affected the game positively, and in the last 20 minutes it was one way traffic. In terms of struggling to break down a team who 'park the bus', I actually think two of the absentees last night (Barkley and Rashford) may have made a difference earlier in the game had they been picked, so it will be interesting to see if and when Allardyce brings them both back into the senior squad and starting 11. 

3 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

So the Slovakia game was really really boring.

Can someone please explain to me then why I'm going to watch England Scotland. Football is such a drug. I hate it and love it

That'll be good. The atmosphere at both games (from the respective away supports anyway) will be awesome. The game should be a better spectacle as neither team will want to draw particularly and it'll be played at a 'British pace'.

Immeasurably better than playing Slovakia, I'm jealous you're going! Enjoy it, will be a great experience. Watching England, especially away, is much more about the travel, drinking and experience rather than the football. That's why we always take thousands away even when we indefinitely fail in tournaments.

Archived