IGNORED

Is the forum/are fans fickle?

sglosbcfc

9 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I'm a glass half full man and I'm delighted by the job Johnson has been doing, the transfer business the club have done and the way we have started the season, but....

it is interesting reading the forum just how positive people are, talk about Johnson moving to a top Premier League club, us challenging for promotion, us not needing Kodjia etc etc.

Whilst I hope all of that is true (except Johnson leaving of course), I wonder what the forum would be like if we had lead 1-0 against Villa at half time and then lost 3-1. Of course football is a results business but do you agree that so many fans seem up and down like a see saw based on one result. I should add this is not a pop at City fans, I think City fans are no more or less fickle than any other fans ( including those 'loyal and prowed' boys from the Mem).

Well some are a bit fick

I don't think we are more fickle as such, but we have had some embarrassing moments you don't get from all clubs (but you do some).

Booing JET at Sheffield United in 2014, cheering LJ's sub when he was here as a player, when someone took a swing at Orr in the early days of GJ, probably a few more I can't remember.

7 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

However, if you look up "Cyclothymic" you find that it describes a mild form of bipolar disorder, or mood swings - and so usable in the way it was intended.

The confusion came from @Robbored spelling the word in a creative manner.  Just think had it been spelt correctly we could all have saved ourselves some angst at not understanding, and some joy when we discovered the truth; but then we would not have enjoyed those cyclothymic feelings.

@Nogbad the Bad I would be interested to know your thoughts on the aesthetics of "Cyclothymic"

Oh, I don't mind cyclothymic at all ExiledAjax. Good solid word, if not one I've come across before today.

But when Robbored leaves out 2 important letters completely and for some reason adds a second 'ic' on at the end and it becomes the almost uniquely ugly cycothyicic, well, that's a very different matter.

I don't like that word at all, so relieved to know it's temporary existence was only due to an extraordinary triple spelling cock up.

But fair play to RR, choosing to use a word that most people would never have come across and then making 3 glaring spelling mistakes in that word takes some doing.

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Oh, I don't mind cyclothymic at all ExiledAjax. Good solid word, if not one I've come across before today.

But when Robbored leaves out 2 important letters completely and for some reason adds a second 'ic' on at the end and it becomes the almost uniquely ugly cycothyicic, well, that's a very different matter.

I don't like that word at all, so relieved to know it's temporary existence was only due to an extraordinary triple spelling cock up.

But fair play to RR, choosing to use a word that most people would never have come across and then making 3 glaring spelling mistakes in that word takes some doing.

I could only like this once, it richly deserveserveseves so much more :cool:

On 06/09/2016 at 07:10, sglosbcfc said:

I'm a glass half full man and I'm delighted by the job Johnson has been doing, the transfer business the club have done and the way we have started the season, but....

it is interesting reading the forum just how positive people are, talk about Johnson moving to a top Premier League club, us challenging for promotion, us not needing Kodjia etc etc.

Whilst I hope all of that is true (except Johnson leaving of course), I wonder what the forum would be like if we had lead 1-0 against Villa at half time and then lost 3-1. Of course football is a results business but do you agree that so many fans seem up and down like a see saw based on one result. I should add this is not a pop at City fans, I think City fans are no more or less fickle than any other fans ( including those 'loyal and prowed' boys from the Mem).

I think tonight's match thread answers your question.

47 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

47 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Just gathering the mental strength to come on here. We will celebrate a late winner this season so we just have to take this sucker punch and move on. I still feel very positive about our squad and the season ahead. We must try to eradicate the stupid errors that crept in Saturday and tonight though.

Of course football fans - from every club - are fickle.  It's because we care.

However to anyone who played the game at a competitive post-school level I'd ask: "did you ever have shit games? Did you ever have great games?"

Most of us would say yes. And the same with the professional footballers at BCFC who are a million times more talented than we were. 

The management skill comes in spotting the medium term trends and weaknesses and shoring those up.

Archived