IGNORED

The Official Rotherham United v Bristol City match Day Thread

3 minutes ago, cynic said:

Watching Derby at the moment and I'm not sure if its Newcastle being so much better or not, but Derby look distinctly average at the moment. Sheffield aren't firing on all cylinders either.

Four points would be good.

Newcastle are doing what they did at our place but Derby are poor. Didn`t realise they`d only scored one goal so far this season. Makes you wonder why they sold Chris Martin. Wednesday came back from a goal down to win today so they`re maybe getting it together now - hope not though!

4 minutes ago, cynic said:

Watching Derby at the moment and I'm not sure if its Newcastle being so much better or not, but Derby look distinctly average at the moment. Sheffield aren't firing on all cylinders either.

Four points would be good.

No doubt just saying its less likely than winning today was, in my mind. On paper the next two are much tougher but they haven't hit their stride yet. You could say we haven't really lived up to our potential yet either. I'm getting a feeling we will be quite close to that top 6 if not in it. Beatable teams this week but if we don't win I won't be surprised like I was a bit today. 

Just feel like games like today are the ones we need to win more often than not to do that. Still early and it's probably the only result so far that's a little disappointing. So good point under the circumstances but not knowing how the game went and you see 2-2 youd feel a bit disappointed as I did. 

14 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Don't worry, you're not the only one, Bobby Reid is like a better man crush for me than JET and Adomah combined. 

We should've signed Bayo. You guys would've been swooning for a month.

In seriousness it's same old Bristol City - we could be a magnificent team if we just cut out the bullshit at the back.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don't see why not. We are the stronger team. I expect to win. I wouldn't expect the same Tuesday night or next Saturday. I don't see why we shouldn't expect to win some games. We are a strong team. 

Joe, I'm watching barca v alaves  mate and they're winning . That's football my ole mate . So in other words . You have to earn every result you get. 

• Like 1

Just back, don't want to sound like big bollox but we were worlds apart from them in terms of footballing ability, the stats really said it all. The game had a stinking feeling to it knowing whenever they went forward they would score, and they did. Luckily this team has character and ability and got what we deserved. Could of easily won it to.

I'd start Patterson next game, made a good impact.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Newcastle are doing what they did at our place but Derby are poor. Didn`t realise they`d only scored one goal so far this season. Makes you wonder why they sold Chris Martin. Wednesday came back from a goal down to win today so they`re maybe getting it together now - hope not though!

Wednesday are. We need to be attack minded on Tuesday. Allow them on and they will break us down. 

8 hours ago, BristolBEAT said:

Wednesday are. We need to be attack minded on Tuesday. Allow them on and they will break us down. 

This is true, it's been a slow start to the season for us, but signs are we're finding our feet & starting to play some of the football that brought us (relative) success last year.  We weren't at the races first 15 yesterday, Wigan came at us hard and the usually reliable Tom Lees was having a shocker. But after that, Wigan sat back, tried to defend a 1-0 lead for 85 minutes and were timewasting from the 10th minute. This allowed us to get our act together and once we'd got a deserved equaliser it was like a game of attack v defence second half.  Fletcher grabbed his first of the season, Forestieri looked up for it for the first time since his one man strike and we could/should have steamrollered them on another day.  

I'm sure you'll also remember our last meeting at Ashton Gate when you came at us hard early on and caused us no end of problem, and undoubtedly Lee Johnson will too.  The lesson is, if you let us play our game, we've got the players to hurt you.

Anyway, hope it's a good game Tuesday, and those travelling up have a safe (but disappointing) trip.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Someone(few) said we should've brand Reid off though...

That would have been a huge mistake, and not just saying that based on his goal.

He turns over play real well and get the ball moving and into dangerous areas.  

His weakness is defending, no question, but think you move him into the three behind the strikers and he'll be far more effective.  Get the impression him being in there next to O'Neil is a short term fix, and am genuinely excited at the prospect of Reid and/or Tomlin playing in front of the 'bed rock' pairing of O'Neil and Smith.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, DessieBoySWFC said:

This is true, it's been a slow start to the season for us, but signs are we're finding our feet & starting to play some of the football that brought us (relative) success last year.  We weren't at the races first 15 yesterday, Wigan came at us hard and the usually reliable Tom Lees was having a shocker. But after that, Wigan sat back, tried to defend a 1-0 lead for 85 minutes and were timewasting from the 10th minute. This allowed us to get our act together and once we'd got a deserved equaliser it was like a game of attack v defence second half.  Fletcher grabbed his first of the season, Forestieri looked up for it for the first time since his one man strike and we could/should have steamrollered them on another day.  

I'm sure you'll also remember our last meeting at Ashton Gate when you came at us hard early on and caused us no end of problem, and undoubtedly Lee Johnson will too.  The lesson is, if you let us play our game, we've got the players to hurt you.

Anyway, hope it's a good game Tuesday, and those travelling up have a safe (but disappointing) trip.

Sounds much like our game against them!

Given our dreadful record of not showing up at New York, this is a decent result. Rotherham have a good home record. Their away form is terrible. 

At 2-0 I thought it was 0 points, so we'll done to the team for salvaging a point. O'donnell and flint need to work on their communication. I'm sure they will learn from this

thete will be times this season I'm sure when city will get a lucky point against a team that outplayed us. Just as Rotherham did yesterday

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

Out of interest does anybody know if the City team are staying in Yorkshire through tuesday night?

They usually do a stop over with two close proximity matches in the same week.

No, they came home.  Johnson quoted as saying he felt it was better the players had time with their families.

44 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

To those having a go at freeman. He's much improved this season. If he can manage to score, he may become the player he was 14/15

I think Freeman was too comfortable the start of last season- he knew we didn't really have another creative, attacking midfielder to replace him with and he got a bit complacent. Once Tomlin and Odemwingie came in it shook him up a bit, even more so over the summer with the additions we've made. To be honest, I no longer think he should be a starter, but the competition could be the making of him

1 hour ago, DessieBoySWFC said:

Sounds like our game against Wigan first game to be honest. 

Im not fancying us to get anything at Hillsborough but would be delighted with a point.

15 hours ago, Squire Dastardly said:

Honest criticism is good and can often be constructive. It's the moaning when things go against us. The attitude of "It's not fair" and the ref is bent, etc. etc. Too many people play the blame game too often. It's a good thing that the team don't have the same attitude and carry on battling.

Sometimes incredibly poor referees and poor refereeing decisions can ruin the outcome of games, people pay a lot of money too watch these games and are entitled to question poor decisions when they occur, players have an important word at the front of their job description 'professional', they have to be more careful about what they say.

I wasn't there but it sounds as though yesterdays referee was not the best and if true it warrants mention.

2 hours ago, samo II said:

I would like to see both Paterson and O'Dowda start at Wednesday.

Their pace will give us an edge on the break, and when you look at the Wednesday back line I think that will hurt them.

Agree about Paterson, milimetres away from being a hero yesterday.  Not convinced O'Dowda is quite ready to start, would like to see him taking more risks (especially against a team like Rotherham).  He always played the safe pass yesterday, which can often slow down a promising attack

19 minutes ago, red panda said:

Agree about Paterson, milimetres away from being a hero yesterday.  Not convinced O'Dowda is quite ready to start, would like to see him taking more risks (especially against a team like Rotherham).  He always played the safe pass yesterday, which can often slow down a promising attack

Can't argue with that.  Was screaming at O'Dowda to take his man to the line in the second half, but as is our flaw he often went inside instead.  And considering how poor Rotherham were dealing with crosses and corner, even just looking to force one of those situations would have been a better option.

His pace and quick feet did make their defence scared to tackle him though, and from what I've seen of Wednesday this year, they do not have pace in the full back areas, so the hope would be O'Dowda might simply breeze past them.

Would be interested in seeing him wide left too, as feel he really could stretch teams if on his favoured foot and able to get into crossing postions.

Edited by samo II