IGNORED

player ratings from Rotherham game

stogursey red

O'Donnell - 8/10 - on top form again could do nothing about the 2 goals but made some great saves that stopped Rotherham getting out of sight

Little  - 5/10 - after a good game v villa was back to the bad this week, he seamed off the pace and was beaten with ease by there winger, not helped by no cover ahead of him but still found him self out of position to often,

Flint - 6/10 - worse game i have seen him have for city, his head just was not in the game in the first half, and was the reason they got the 2 goals, should have cleared the 1st and trying to hard to make up for it turned the 2nd past the keeper, also was beaten for pace by the 2nd striker time and again 

Magnusson  - 7/10 - steady but not the level of his last 2 games think he should have done more to help Flint out and thought his distribution was poor

Golbourne  - 6/10 - not good there winger seamed to be able to get past him when ever he wanted, and when he did get forward seamed unable to put a good pass or cross in,

O'Neil  - 8/10 -  held the midfield by him self  when they where attacking, a battling defensive game today from him but was just what we needed

Reid  - 7/10 - in the first half found himself being bullied of the ball to often and seamed to not have the time he wanted to create but sill made a few breaks and should have got a goal, in the 2nd with Rotherham on the back foot he had the space to run and create and was a non stop threat,

Freeman  - 5/10 - offered nothing to the team today, was week defending and most of his passes went out or to Rotherham also went missing for long periods,

Tomlin  - 4/10 1st half & 8/10 2nd half - feel i have to offer to rating for Tomlin, in the 1st half he was out on the wing and just looked so lost as the game passed him by, them once he was moved into the middle in the 2nd half he ran the show everything good we did came through him

Bryan  - 9/10 - had a great game up and down the wing all day, always in the right place when defending and a constant threat attacking, put in so many good crosses , my MOTM

Abraham  - 7/10 - found him self bullied out of things in the first half but keeped making good runs and getting into the box and deserved his goal for all the work he did for the team in the 2nd half

subs-

Paterson  - 7/10 - made a difference when he came on ran at there defense and made things happen would start him next game

Ekstrand  - 8/10 - we looked so much better at the back once he was on, all the Rotherham where getting in the first half was gone and he made so good runs forward as well, would start him next game,

O'Dowda  - 8/10 - made such a difference to how we attacked, ran at them with pace and time and time again put in a great pass or cross as so a real threat in the box, would start him next game

I wasn't at the game yesterday so it's good to see your ratings. But I've watched  the highlights . If you gave Flint a 6 and little 5 . Little should never play again. From what I saw on the highlights Flint was a 2 . And little was not at fault for either goal . But I wasn't there like I said. But to score Flint higher than little. Little must have been super poor 

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

I wasn't at the game yesterday so it's good to see your ratings. But I've watched  the highlights . If you gave Flint a 6 and little 5 . Little should never play again. From what I saw on the highlights Flint was a 2 . And little was not at fault for either goal . But I wasn't there like I said. But to score Flint higher than little. Little must have been super poor 

The fact that someone else who was there and has been highly critical of Little in the past gave him a great review yesterday speaks volumes.

Think this is as obvious a case of scapegoating you will ever see.

Sorry, but to say that ROD could do nothing about the two goals, in the case of the first I have to strongly disagree. He starts to come out but hesitates, if he's not convinced that he's getting there then he needs to be telling Flint to boot that clear. He has to be Flints eyes as well as his own. To pin that all on Flinty is a bit harsh imo.

40 minutes ago, stogursey red said:

O'Donnell - 8/10 - on top form again could do nothing about the 2 goals but made some great saves that stopped Rotherham getting out of sight

Little  - 5/10 - after a good game v villa was back to the bad this week, he seamed off the pace and was beaten with ease by there winger, not helped by no cover ahead of him but still found him self out of position to often,

Flint - 6/10 - worse game i have seen him have for city, his head just was not in the game in the first half, and was the reason they got the 2 goals, should have cleared the 1st and trying to hard to make up for it turned the 2nd past the keeper, also was beaten for pace by the 2nd striker time and again 

Magnusson  - 7/10 - steady but not the level of his last 2 games think he should have done more to help Flint out and thought his distribution was poor

Golbourne  - 6/10 - not good there winger seamed to be able to get past him when ever he wanted, and when he did get forward seamed unable to put a good pass or cross in,

O'Neil  - 8/10 -  held the midfield by him self  when they where attacking, a battling defensive game today from him but was just what we needed

Reid  - 7/10 - in the first half found himself being bullied of the ball to often and seamed to not have the time he wanted to create but sill made a few breaks and should have got a goal, in the 2nd with Rotherham on the back foot he had the space to run and create and was a non stop threat,

Freeman  - 5/10 - offered nothing to the team today, was week defending and most of his passes went out or to Rotherham also went missing for long periods,

Tomlin  - 4/10 1st half & 8/10 2nd half - feel i have to offer to rating for Tomlin, in the 1st half he was out on the wing and just looked so lost as the game passed him by, them once he was moved into the middle in the 2nd half he ran the show everything good we did came through him

Bryan  - 9/10 - had a great game up and down the wing all day, always in the right place when defending and a constant threat attacking, put in so many good crosses , my MOTM

Abraham  - 7/10 - found him self bullied out of things in the first half but keeped making good runs and getting into the box and deserved his goal for all the work he did for the team in the 2nd half

subs-

Paterson  - 7/10 - made a difference when he came on ran at there defense and made things happen would start him next game

Ekstrand  - 8/10 - we looked so much better at the back once he was on, all the Rotherham where getting in the first half was gone and he made so good runs forward as well, would start him next game,

O'Dowda  - 8/10 - made such a difference to how we attacked, ran at them with pace and time and time again put in a great pass or cross as so a real threat in the box, would start him next game

don't know how mags could have done more to help flint out.....absolute mare from flint end of

Wasn't there but suspect that Little wasn't as bad as made out . Look forward to Matthews being available again to provide some competition . 

Re O'Donnell , I'd say he was partly at fault with  both goals . Definite communication problem and lack of decisiveness on show . 

4 minutes ago, redapple said:

Wasn't there but suspect that Little wasn't as bad as made out . Look forward to Matthews being available again to provide some competition . 

Re O'Donnell , I'd say he was partly at fault with  both goals . Definite communication problem and lack of decisiveness on show . 

More the first than the second certainly, he can`t have called for it is all I can come up with. More a rush of blood from Flinty for the second IMO, trying too hard to make up for the first perhaps? it was ROD`s ball all day long.

Litts wasn't great but the  defense as a whole had an off day (as Flint said himself on Twitter) I would start Ekstrad for Litts on Tuesday though. Could we see Moore also?

Tommo's being told to play too deep, once the 3 subs were made, he pushed up with Tammy & Rotherham couldn't handle him.

JB was superb & Freeman tried & tried but the end product just isn't there just now. Thought GON had his worst half of football in the 1st half, very poor.

Flint coming under a lot of fire. He clearly had a bit of a shocker, but the first O'Donnell has to share a portion of the responsibility, he looked caught in the headlights and didn't give Flint a shout.

The second was freakish. Flint had every right to throw himself in front of the shot, that's instinctive and what we expect and want to see our defenders doing.

Yes you can say probably gave him a shout O'Donnell, but it was the split second Flint had already committed to the lunge. Top that with the very unlucky ricochet that could have gone anywhere.

There are no easy games in the championship, but it's extremely encouraging we continue to create and score chances. Work to do at the back, no doubt, but mistakes like yesterday won't happen every week.

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Not trying to scapegoat little want him to do well and was happy to give him praise after villa but he was that bad yesterday the reason I gave Flint 1 pont higher is he got better in the 2nd half butt little didn't and was took off

2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Flint a shocker yet a 6?

Reid obviously one of our best players a 7?

Paterson much more lively than O'Dowda when he came on yet gets a lower rating?

Very odd.

Just called it how I saw it

Flint got better as the game went on so a 6 had he been taken off with little he would have got a 5

I see  a 7 as a good average score I gave it ti Bobby because he was good going forward but could have done a lot better defensively

For me O'Dowda was much more threatening and looked more likely to make a goal so gave him a higher score

2 hours ago, RobArnold10 said:

Sorry, but to say that ROD could do nothing about the two goals, in the case of the first I have to strongly disagree. He starts to come out but hesitates, if he's not convinced that he's getting there then he needs to be telling Flint to boot that clear. He has to be Flints eyes as well as his own. To pin that all on Flinty is a bit harsh imo.

Agree,first thing I thought watching highlights was indecision by both players led to the goal.....each seemed to be waiting for the other to react and neither did-shared blame I think....

I wasn't there but by the looks of it both full backs were taken off so as to change formation rather than through fault of their own. My dad was there and said Little had a decent game.

Flint had a shocker, the highlights show that. Being at fault for 2 goals should automatically out you at a 5 or less, no matter how wel they played outside those mistakes as they ultimately cost us the game.

2 minutes ago, joeyb said:

I wasn't there but by the looks of it both full backs were taken off so as to change formation rather than through fault of their own. My dad was there and said Little had a decent game.

Flint had a shocker, the highlights show that. Being at fault for 2 goals should automatically out you at a 5 or less, no matter how wel they played outside those mistakes as they ultimately cost us the game.

Exactly how it seemed to me. 

The idea that Little only gets a 5 and Reid a 7, while Bryan walks away with a 9 is so at odds with the game I watched on Saturday my head is spinning.

I might be completely mad, but Little looked to have had a very good game under trying circumstances (i.e. the total lack of cover mentioned), as did Golbourne; they were withdrawn as a tactical choice, not a comment on their (significantly postive) contributions.

And O'Donnell getting an 8 when he was just as at fault for the first goal as Flint also makes for very strange reading.

People can sometimes see a match differently, but compared to these ratings I must have been at a wholly different game. 

14 hours ago, stogursey red said:

Just called it how I saw it

Flint got better as the game went on so a 6 had he been taken off with little he would have got a 5

I see  a 7 as a good average score I gave it ti Bobby because he was good going forward but could have done a lot better defensively

For me O'Dowda was much more threatening and looked more likely to make a goal so gave him a higher score

You should know by now you aren't allowed an opinion on here.

Agree with @samo II - we must have been at a different game, even by the standard of different opinions, not sure how can be such a complete alternative view of reality as this. Really reads like a different game to me.

Little was fine, which I think I mentioned in my report on Saturday evening, he was the best wide player we had until the change in formation. Freeman was also decent in patches (one fantastic run) and by no means poor.

Bryan on the other hand while not bad, was quite conservative by his standards on the wing, did not take on his opposite number as much as most wanted, and the equaliser was one of the few times he found space to cross.

The idea Little was worse than Flint and Bryan was much better than Bobby Reid - who ran the game whenever he had the ball - is not just a matter of opinion but a distinctly odd 180 degree reversal of what I and others saw.

My guess, given that Ekstrand gets an 8 for doing very little (where on earth you saw enough to have him start), and your view of the two full backs, is that these ratings are hazy memories that totally missed the change of formation.  

In my experience it's very hard to give ratings a day or two later because it's not possible to remember all the individual touches, and you overcompensate by just rewarding or punishing people for the period of the game they played in. 

Nonetheless, always nice to have contributions from people at games, and provokes healthy debate - I'm just not sure this is a very good memory of the game, from what I saw - and these were my comments pretty fresh from the game:

Incidentally, open question about forum etiquette... if I come on to post on a Saturday night after a game and see a thread with views about the game (the first "Just back..." or something else that sets up a discussion of the game well like @EmersonsRed stat on Saturday) I normally just add to it, unless there is something of monumental importance that needs calling out in a thread of its own. I see a few other who are regularly at games contribute the same. 

But we do also get dribs and drabs of new threads just to offer a new report, comment or ratings, where other threads already exist. I'm not going to make the obvious jibe about it being a bit 'look at me' as I've almost certainly done the same myself in the past deliberately or mistakenly, but I am curious what people prefer and if there is any reason to merge, as personally I find it odd to jump between several threads to read or say the same thing about the game.

16 hours ago, stogursey red said:

Not trying to scapegoat little want him to do well and was happy to give him praise after villa but he was that bad yesterday the reason I gave Flint 1 pont higher is he got better in the 2nd half butt little didn't and was took off

That is one long sentence mucka, don't you have an apostrophy or full stop button on your P.C ? 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Agree with @samo II - we must have been at a different game, even by the standard of different opinions, not sure how can be such a complete alternative view of reality as this. Really reads like a different game to me.

surly u mean in your opinion not "reality"

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Little was fine, which I think I mentioned in my report on Saturday evening, he was the best wide player we had until the change in formation. Freeman was also decent in patches (one fantastic run) and by no means poor

decent in patches dose not make a good game, he ran around a lot and tried hard but attached little and i want more from a player in that attacking position

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Bryan on the other hand while not bad, was quite conservative by his standards on the wing, did not take on his opposite number as much as most wanted, and the equaliser was one of the few times he found space to cross.

The idea Little was worse than Flint and Bryan was much better than Bobby Reid - who ran the game whenever he had the ball - is not just a matter of opinion but a distinctly odd 180 degree reversal of what I and others saw.

Bryan was having such a effect on the play that they where putting 2 on him when ever they could and a lot of the time we played an attacking ball it was to him, as the team could see how well he was doing,

as i have said already Flint would have got a 5 had he gone off at the same time as little, but he got better and in the 2nd half when we where going all out attack did well when often exposed with no cover

you seam to have rated Bobby as if he was a number 10 but he was not in that position, he was in the middle so needed to do as much more defensively, 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

My guess, given that Ekstrand gets an 8 for doing very little (where on earth you saw enough to have him start), and your view of the two full backs, is that these ratings are hazy memories that totally missed the change of formation.  

Ekstrand gets a 8 because he stopped one of there main attacking threats, we where so much more solid after he came on and that gave us the chance push for the win

1 hour ago, Olé said:

In my experience it's very hard to give ratings a day or two later because it's not possible to remember all the individual touches, and you overcompensate by just rewarding or punishing people for the period of the game they played in. 

Nonetheless, always nice to have contributions from people at games, and provokes healthy debate - I'm just not sure this is a very good memory of the game, from what I saw - and these were my comments pretty fresh from the game:

thanks i plan on doing one of there for each game i see this season, due to the 4 hour drive in each direction i was to tired to post on Saturday so could not post sooner, maybe i should have based my ratings on channel 5 like some in this thread :laugh: 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Archived