IGNORED

I will be shot for this.......

Full nelson

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

The difference between Frankie and O'Donnell is that Frankie is mentally stronger, a bit like Basso was. If O'Donnell makes a mistake he's more likely to make another one whereas Frankie would just put it behind him. I think we're seeing why Wigan sold O'Donnell on so quickly, however he's fine as a backup which is what we bought him for originally.

I don't know if he is, Frankie certainly had some howlers and with him being smaller just gets bullied off the ball more by experience Championship defenders. When O'Donnell arrived he was seen as a much safer pair of hands. Yes I know form drops etc and there should be realistic competition for places. But in my opinion it's a position we didn't bother/weren't able to strengthened in the summer as we thought we had it sorted.

52 minutes ago, RedM said:

I don't know if he is, Frankie certainly had some howlers and with him being smaller just gets bullied off the ball more by experience Championship defenders. When O'Donnell arrived he was seen as a much safer pair of hands. Yes I know form drops etc and there should be realistic competition for places. But in my opinion it's a position we didn't bother/weren't able to strengthened in the summer as we thought we had it sorted.

Frankie only lost his place through injury, he wasn't ever dropped. Remember he was in goal the whole of our promotion season, every keeper makes the occasional howler. Hart's meant to be the best keeper in England but he's hardly faultless.

7 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Frankie only lost his place through injury, he wasn't ever dropped. Remember he was in goal the whole of our promotion season, every keeper makes the occasional howler. Hart's meant to be the best keeper in England but he's hardly faultless.

Frankie was in goal the whole of our promotion season, against league 1 players, particularly strikers. The championship is a step up!

6 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Frankie was in goal the whole of our promotion season, against league 1 players, particularly strikers. The championship is a step up!

Frankie's got loads of Championship experience (close on 100 games) and was selected for the full England squad once, he can play at this level no problem

I don't think now is the time to panic.  Last night was disappointing, but with luck could easily have gone the other way.  Presumably Gary O'Nei'l will be missing, so do we really want to remove two other members of our 'spine'.  For me, the question marks are about Tomlin, and the full back positions.

You don't solve defensive problems by chopping and changing the personnel, look at the best teams over the years, built on a consistent back line (including the goalkeeper) because with match practice and time, everyone will know not only what position the man next to them will be in, but what the man next to them will be thinking. 

Yes we have shipped 5 goals in 2 games, and yes they have pretty much all come from basic errors, but swapping players out and in will surely only inevitably lead to more indecision and uncertainness when what we need right now is consistency.

Absolutely take the players to one side and try and find out what the issues are, this is why the players train, but in my opinion, you look at the squad and pick the back 4  that you would ideally start in every game if everyone was fit, after that the rest of the defensive players in the squad should be backup and/or in case of a needed formation change at some point.

To sum up I think if there is a problem, you get to the bottom of it, rather than bashing the confidence of the players who have had a couple of bad games by dropping them. 

52 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

FF kept us in the game and Flint......oh yeah! Yet another mistake :yawn:

Can't argue with that.

Someone posted in the week that Flint could become another Fontaine after his errors at R'ham and Wednesday and today he made yet another shocking error. However in the case of Fontaine the fans at AG got on his back and that surely had a negative effect on him. 

Fortunately that's not happening (yet ) to Flint but if he continues to mess up his credits with the fans will run out.

When/if that happens I'd hope that Flint has a strong character to rise above it.

Maybe, and it is a maybe LJ should consider resting Flint for the cup match on Tuesday and give Moore his debut.

Archived