IGNORED

Joey, bless him

Esmond Million's Bung

I think this season has been a total reality check for him so far, and it's when his frustration builds that he can become a liability on and off the pitch.

I don't think there is any doubt that Barton expected to stroll through this season but, despite the lower quality of the SPFL than what he had to face last season, he has yet to shine in a single league game and was pretty poor in last week's thrashing against Celtic.

Warburton has a tough task: controlling a player that is largely uncontrollable in times of strife.

12 hours ago, fanjita said:

Obnoxious Scumbag, and to think there was talk of us signing him.

He's had serious anger issues in the past and because of it he ended up getting sent down.

Since then he's attended the Sporting Chance clinic to learn coping mechanisms on how to control it. One of those mechanisms is to talk about it and that's exactly what he's been doing.

Everyone deserves a second chance.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He's had serious anger issues in the past and because of it he ended up getting sent down.

Since then he's attended the Sporting Chance clinic to learn coping mechanisms on how to control it. One of those mechanisms is to talk about it and that's exactly what he's been doing.

Fifth chance ?

I was all in favour of our signing him in the summer.

I withdraw that and I'm glad we didn't even try; the bloke's a total liability. 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joey-barton-not-nice--8871778

DANNY MILLS claimed Joey Barton’s abuse of managers was VILE during his time at Manchester City.

The Rangers midfielder was yesterday banned for three weeks after a bust-up with boss Mark Warburton last week.

Barton let rip at Warburton after he intervened during an angry exchange with team-mate Andy Halliday at Auchenhowie.

The controversial Englishman angered Ibrox chiefs when he went on national radio to spill the beans on the incident.

Mills admitted the 34-year-old former Burnley man is a ticking time bomb after a career littered with controversies.

And responding to news of Barton’s ban, he said: “I’ve been in that dressing room when Joey has flipped on the manager several times.

“It’s not nice. It can be vile. There is a line you don’t often cross in football but Joey would cross it regularly.

“It hasn’t happened just once or twice. It’s happened on eight on nine different occasions throughout his career.

“I spent four, five years with Joey. I’ve seen him in that situation. He’s okay for a little bit and then something happens. It’s clearly an issue.”

It was Mills’ cigar Barton grabbed and famously stubbed out in the eye of then team-mate Jamie Tandy during a City Christmas party in 2004.

Barton laid into Mills during a heated debate when he questioned his role on an FA commission tasked with improving homegrown talent.

38 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Interesting bloke but I can't help but be suspicious about this drama coinciding with his book coming out. Good interview yesterday in the Graun 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/19/joey-barton-interview-conflict-rangers

I've just finished my first book . Next week I might read another one .

On 18 September 2016 at 07:33, Robbored said:

Don't normally agree with you old Rubberhead but this is spot on.

12 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Don't normally agree with you old Rubberhead but this is spot on.

He's on about his tenth chance; he's the sort of scumbag that never deserves to pull on a football shirt again.

I expect Lee Power is on the phone already trying to get him to come to Swindon as part of a Rogers / Barton / King / Hughes dreamteam.

8 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

He's on about his tenth chance; he's the sort of scumbag that never deserves to pull on a football shirt again.

I expect Lee Power is on the phone already trying to get him to come to Swindon as part of a Rogers / Barton / King / Hughes dreamteam.

What's he done in the past few years? May have just missed it but it seems like he's made a, generally good, turnaround.

On 18 September 2016 at 07:33, Robbored said:

Quite. But being encouraged to talk about it probably doesn't mean phoning up a radio talk show does it. Perhaps he should have talked to the Sporting Chance people instead.

Also like others have said how many more chances can he be given, how many more times can he be forgiven. Each time he does something he knows with more certainty that he is still wanted by somebody so he gets the green light to carry on. The only thing that might stop him is his age, 34 now isn't he. Yes he must have a talent as he's played for some decent clubs, but if he didn't have that he would be one of life's failures, probably jobless and homeless as what sane employer would have employed him.

Harsh but fair? I bet nobody has ever said that to him, that's the sad thing.

20 minutes ago, Griffin said:

What's he done in the past few years? May have just missed it but it seems like he's made a, generally good, turnaround.

Lost his rag with the Rangers manager, which is why this thread is here.

Are you a magistrate or something?  "Yes he's done three hundred burglaries but because thsi time he is genuinely remosrseful I won't be imposing a custodial sentence."

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

The only thing that might stop him is his age, 34 now isn't he. Yes he must have a talent as he's played for some decent clubs, but if he didn't have that he would be one of life's failures, probably jobless and homeless as what sane employer would have employed him.

Harsh but fair? I bet nobody has ever said that to him, that's the sad thing.

Im sure Barton himself is very aware that hes very fortunate to have the footballing skills he had and im also sure that he would have been told that by the various groups/counsellor whilst at Sporting Chance.

As some of you know I worked in that particular field of self help therapy for almost 30 years and am very well qualified to understand the effects that self help groups can have. It's the fundamental basis of AA and the 12 Step programme.

It looks that Barton has relapsed with his anger control but at least this time  it was a verbal assault rather than a physical one. Relapse is always possible but I would see this type of burst of verbal anger as an improved reaction when compared to how he used to react - with his fists.

Its still inappropriate of course to abuse someone verbally but I think Barton feels conflicted because he knows that not beating someone in anger is an sign of progress but at the same time he feels that the verbal assault has left him ashamed - hence the contradictions he's made since through various media outlets. 

On 18 September 2016 at 08:33, Robbored said:

Your evaluation is an incredibly liberal view on what constitutes a second chance in the case of Joey Barton, but also a typically liberal view.

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Im sure Barton himself is very aware that hes very fortunate to have the footballing skills he had and im also sure that he would have been told that by the various groups/counsellor whilst at Sporting Chance.

As some of you know I worked in that particular field of self help therapy for almost 30 years and am very well qualified to understand the effects that self help groups can have. It's the fundamental basis of AA and the 12 Step programme.

It looks that Barton has relapsed with his anger control but at least this time  it was a verbal assault rather than a physical one. Relapse is always possible but I would see this type of burst of verbal anger as an improved reaction when compared to how he used to react - with his fists.

Its still inappropriate of course to abuse someone verbally but I think Barton feels conflicted because he knows that not beating someone in anger is an sign of progress but at the same time he feels that the verbal assault has left him ashamed - hence the contradictions he's made since through various media outlets. 

He's still a knob

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Perhaps he should remove himself from high pressure situations then.

11 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Your evaluation is an incredibly liberal view on what constitutes a second chance in the case of Joey Barton, but also a typically liberal view.

And a huge insult to every player that he has assaulted and every player that doesn't go around hitting people.

You tell the people who make their money from dealing with "issues" or cirimnals and drug addicts as they are more commonly known.  For them Joey Barton is what's known as "a nice little earner".

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You tell the people who make their money from dealing with "issues" or cirimnals and drug addicts as they are more commonly known.  For them Joey Barton is what's known as "a nice little earner".

That comment shows just how little you understand about psychological problems and also reflects that you don't appreciate just how highly qualified the counsellors are. It's not a money grabbing exercise to try and help and support people.

I worked in NHS and got paid the same salary as someone the same grade as me who was working in another area - wards for example.

54 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Lost his rag with the Rangers manager, which is why this thread is here.

Are you a magistrate or something?  "Yes he's done three hundred burglaries but because thsi time he is genuinely remosrseful I won't be imposing a custodial sentence."

Hardly crazy, not right obviously, but hardly crazy, thought your reply must've been provoked by something worse.

He's not great, he's taken time out to help with his anger issues and has clearly made a huge improvement. Nobody's perfect, at least he's doing something.

Archived