IGNORED

Traffic Vs Leeds / Metrobus (Merged)

Bristol Rob

Actually it's not, its due to the closure of Ashton Drive (the road next to the Robins) for work on the rail bridge. Traffic indeed is a nightmare, as all vehicles wishing to access Ashton Vale and the industrial estates are having to use South Liberty Lane. The road cannot cope and as a result cars coming up Winterstoke road are queuing to turn right, and cars coming from Bedminster Down are having to sit in traffic as the road keeps getting blocked, carnage!

The bridge is scheduled to be closed again tomorrow, so I can only assume a greater level of congestion with football traffic as well. Leave early, or don't bring the car!

1 minute ago, asfred said:

Actually it's not, its due to the closure of Ashton Drive (the road next to the Robins) for work on the rail bridge. Traffic indeed is a nightmare, as all vehicles wishing to access Ashton Vale and the industrial estates are having to use South Liberty Lane. The road cannot cope and as a result cars coming up Winterstoke road are queuing to turn right, and cars coming from Bedminster Down are having to sit in traffic as the road keeps getting blocked, carnage!

The bridge is scheduled to be closed again tomorrow, so I can only assume a greater level of congestion with football traffic as well. Leave early, or don't bring the car!

Cheers for the heads up @asfred

3 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

It will be a white elephant if lazy chaps like yourselves who can't be bothered to remove yourself from your car and get on a bus!! But are still likely to complain about congestion and being unable to park :clapping:

trust me it will be a white elephant or it wont happen at all....seen and heard all this shite before too many times after all this is Bristol were on about

13 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

It will be a white elephant if lazy chaps like yourselves who can't be bothered to remove yourself from your car and get on a bus!! But are still likely to complain about congestion and being unable to park :clapping:

I agree to some extent, but until this City has some sort of joined up transport policy, like a new station at Ashton Gate and car parking allowed at the LA Park & Ride on matchdays, then people are not going to leave their cars behind. 

I believe traffic issues are exacerbated for evening matches, with the mix of rush hour and football traffic, and the reality that people cannot physically get to games on time unless they drive. 

Bristol traffic is a mess, we all know that, but the council seem unable or unwilling to do anything about it. If traffic improves, use of public transport improves!

25 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

The metro bus is a poorly planned and expensive "solution".

Bristol was crying out for a radically expanded and integrated light rail network.

1 hour ago, redapple said:

Traffics been horrific Winterstoke Road/ Cumberland Basin/Ashton Road all day, which I guess might be due to Metrobus  works ?

I was in bs3 this morning and was delayed getting off the by-pass and into Winterstoke Road. When I got through here was a broken down articulated lorry right at the traffic lights just before Wickes. There was one copper controlling the flow of traffic. That's what was causing the traffic problems I encountered.

Could have been the Metrobus works later in the day.

18 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Am I right in thinking that nobody actually wants to run the metro bus? If it goes ahead then I'm assuming it will have to be heavily subsidised by BC and SG council? 

I can see it being ran for a year at a 5 million loss and then being scrapped altogether 

Should have heavily subsidised and improved the existing bus services. Very cheap and frequent buses would have been more likely to reduce car use than spending millions on a "Metrobus" system. 

1 hour ago, pride of the west said:

Am I right in thinking that nobody actually wants to run the metro bus? If it goes ahead then I'm assuming it will have to be heavily subsidised by BC and SG council? 

I can see it being ran for a year at a 5 million loss and then being scrapped altogether 

Yes you're right; the infrastructure is being built and things like the remodelling of the centre to accommodate it all but actually there's no bugger to run the buses! I think they've also reduced the proposed frequency of the Metro Buses from 4/ hour to 3 so there's no telling how much of a shambles it will be by the time the first (ahem) bus travels on the new flyover, swing bridge or across the centre! 

So metro bus is just bus lanes, it's hardly a new solution and is it really an efficient use of the space? I see this as a politicians (ie short term) solution when actually the amount of money being spent should be doubled or tripled and a light rail or tram solution should be installed for longer term benefits.

• Admin

Traffic chaos today around Temple Meads, the road from Temple Meads toward the M32 was down to one lane, traffic jammed back to the centre, back through Bedminster and backed up to Knowle on the Wells road.

Bloody ridiculous, why can't they do this work at night, it happens in other countries, shambolic, have come to expect nothing less.  Every time I see roadworks in Bristol with the usual apologetic sign claiming they are making road improvements, I just know that will add another 5 minutes to my journey when it's completed.

Traffic in central bristol last night was horrific, metrobus works on the centre apparently having a big knock on effect with Baldwin St, Victoria St, Welsh Back etc  all totally gridlocked. 

So if you're heading to BS3 tonight you might want to leave a bit earlier if poss or walk from town rather than car or bus it. 

The Ashton Drive works will be finished by 3:30pm but yesterday they left the 'road closed' sign up at the bottom by the Robins. It's due to be completed today so the signs should all go, but it's possible to over run.

Winterstoke Road heading towards Ashton Gate away from Bedminster has been very busy at rush hour for some months and seems to take longer to clear, potentially due to the works being carried out. Away from Ashton Gate towards Bedminster it seems to flow OK, not brilliant, but OK.

I work in Redcliff and if I can offer any word of advice is to avoid this area and Temple Meads. They have been closing a lane on Temple Way and it's an absolute nightmare in this area all day and in to rush hour.

18 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

The metro bus is a poorly planned and expensive "solution".

Bristol was crying out for a radically expanded and integrated light rail network.

I've always said we need a monorail. Expensive to install yes, but wouldn't suffer with delays and also could be eco friendly... 

Archived