IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Nottingham Forest Match Day Thread

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

Wow, genuinely the first time I've ever seen, heard or thought about this ... ever!  Fascinating, and gobsmacking,

Thanks to Spudski and Fiale for their posts... (its the last thing I ever expected to find in an Otib Match Day Thread (thanks also to Havana, excellent as usual) but here it is)

At last I now get a chance to add an appropriate  -  Puts football into 'perspective' post ... this thread has put the whole damn World into perspective ...Literally and figuratively blew my mind.

(notice Great Britain and the UK is still depicted as a tiny insignificant dot on maps of the World - its about time they sort that out too!  ;) )

Like I said it puts Everything in perspective,  ... just take a look at Ashton Gate and our West Stand and tell me we are not a big club.. course we are big ffs!

Edited by WhistleHappy
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, spudski said:

And yet they still teach that Columbus founded America...does my head in.

Here's something else that bugs...Quote...

Why every world map you're looking at is wrong

The distortion is the result of the Mercator projection, the map most commonly seen hanging in classrooms and in text books, which was created in 1596 to help sailors navigate the world.

I was taught at school that Columbus found the Caribbean and Latin America and John Cabot found North America. Both wrong we know but the former did not grab all the headlines in my classroom.

As for map sizes; you rather interestingly left out the biggest 'mistake' of them all... The British Isles are magnified to such a degree that we look as big if not bigger than France.. Personally i think its marvellous and quite possibly helped us dominate the world for as long as we did. Without that we might be eating rice today instead of the humble potato. I prefer potatoes. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

The number of people who cannot get their heads around the idea that there is no right way up when it comes to the solar system / milky way / universe. :grr:

I'm still to be convinced that the world isn't flat 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

And yet they still teach that Columbus founded America...does my head in.

Here's something else that bugs...Quote...

Why every world map you're looking at is WRONG: Africa, China and India are distorted despite access to accurate satellite data

• The distortion is the result of the Mercator map which was created in 1596 to help sailors navigate the world
  • It gives the right shapes of countries but at the cost of distorting sizes in favour of the wealthy lands to the north
  • For instance, north America looks larger, or at least as big, as Africa, and Greenland also looks of comparable size
  • In reality, you can fit north America into Africa and still have space for India, Argentina, Tunisia and some left over
  • Map suggests Scandinavian countries are larger than India, whereas in reality India is three times the size
  • The biggest challenge for cartographers is that it is impossible to portray reality of spherical world on a flat map

Take a look at a map today, and you’re likely to see that North America is larger than Africa, Alaska is larger than Mexico and China is smaller than Greenland.

But in reality China is four times bigger than Greenland, Africa is three times bigger than North America and Mexico is larger than Alaska.

The distortion is the result of the Mercator projection, the map most commonly seen hanging in classrooms and in text books, which was created in 1596 to help sailors navigate the world.

Those classroom maps have a lot to answer for... I once remember being in Vancouver and explaining to my wife there were so many Japanese tourists because it was quite close. "But it's on the other side of the world"" she said. I had to find a shop with a globe in to prove my point :) .

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Anyone reckon he might give Tammy a rest and bring him off the bench for the last 20 minutes? Wilbs or Engvall could get a runout perhaps?

I thought he would do this against Leeds (Posted it int he thread) start with Wilbs, wear down Leeds strong CBs and bring on Tammy later against them - but did not happen. I would think Tammy would get more joy against the Forest defensive line, so he should probably start.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Yes indeed, it's another Wessex v Danelaw fixture today.

Our Swedish fans presumably joined us as they're anti Dane.

Not going to think of Forest that way - nope, they are the men in tights !!

You're all getting a bit too optimistic for my liking :)

It will be good to see how we perform without Tomlin - how will LJ will set up the midfield? I think Patterson will play a bit nearer to Tammy. And maybe we could try to play the ball into TA's body rather than launch most of them over his head. I think we will need to play a bit better than Tuesday to give us a good chance of winning this one.

Should be a good game.

COYR.

Will see what the team is, but against a fully fit and available squad, we could be light Little, Matthews, Tomlin, O'Neill and Smith. It is a sign of how far we have travelled since this time last year that we go in to this still with some confidence, given most of what might end up being our first choice midfield is missing. They also have a couple of their best players returning, so current form for both teams may not be an entirely accurate reflection.

Fancy us to nick it by the odd goal, but would have been happy with 4 points from the two home games before Leeds. Expectations are rising, but expecting another close game today.

Edited by cityexile

A couple of things:

Do you remember we sold Jim Brennan to Forest for £1 million.  He hardly played for them and a mate who was a Forest fan said he was completely useless.  One of the best £ millions we ever made.

Secondly, I've had to fork out for 4 tickets this week at £34 each - that's a staggering £136 to watch a couple of matches and not great seats either near the front in a Dolman wing.

I think we will miss Tomlin today but still going for a 2 - 1 Victory

6 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

A couple of things:

Do you remember we sold Jim Brennan to Forest for £1 million.  He hardly played for them and a mate who was a Forest fan said he was completely useless.  One of the best £ millions we ever made.

Secondly, I've had to fork out for 4 tickets this week at £34 each - that's a staggering £136 to watch a couple of matches and not great seats either near the front in a Dolman wing.

I think we will miss Tomlin today but still going for a 2 - 1 Victory

They bought one of the best wingbacks I have ever seen and then tried to make him play as a conventional left back in a flat back 4......... Well duh!

Edited by Port Said Red
3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Two aspects to your first para Major.... Agreed on the largely unknowns or journeymen but it is what they became and remain to this day; icons. That is what i was trying to drive at.

Jerseybean has it below; ie present tense.

Interesting remark about bein a closet Florist young sir.... Pondering that. 

Muy bien hombre, correcto. 

Oh I misunderstood. I agree with me .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ash the Bash said:

Well I say! I'm a cartographer by trade, never thought I'd see the day the Mercator projection is explained on a match day thread. 

Also annoys me when people say 'upside down' maps or those with Asia in the middle are wrong! Bloody elitists 

Anyway back to reality, u redzzzzzzzzzzz 1-0

I  am a cartographer by trade 

Would   that be 'orse n cart or ones pulled by old bullocks.