IGNORED

LJ take a bow

Major Isewater

What negatively?

Sure....he wasn't the first choice of many fans back in February but so far he's proved to be an astute appointment. Congrats should go to SL fo recognising  LJs ability and instructing Mark Ashton to recruit him.

LJ is very adept in dealing with the media and  comes over in a very frank manner whether it's on the back of a win,loss or draw. In that regard he's different to many managers. He's honest and tells it as he sees it. That's a great quality in any manager.

Hes got a 3 year contact but what would happen if City went on a dismal run of results over a period of 20 odd games and slid down the league into the drop zone?

The bottom line is that football is a results game and if you're not getting them it's always the manager who loses his job.

Personally I'd love to see him become like Arsen Wenger in terms of length of time at one club but to do that you have to produce consistent results season after season.....

52 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What negatively?

Sure....he wasn't the first choice of many fans back in February but so far he's proved to be an astute appointment. Congrats should go to SL fo recognising  LJs ability and instructing Mark Ashton to recruit him.

LJ is very adept in dealing with the media and  comes over in a very frank manner whether it's on the back of a win,loss or draw. In that regard he's different to many managers. He's honest and tells it as he sees it. That's a great quality in any manager.

Hes got a 3 year contact but what would happen if City went on a dismal run of results over a period of 20 odd games and slid down the league into the drop zone?

The bottom line is that football is a results game and if you're not getting them it's always the manager who loses his job.

Personally I'd love to see him become like Arsen Wenger in terms of length of time at one club but to do that you have to produce consistent results season after season.....

Dismal 20 game run? :shocking: We'd almost certainly be relegated if no action had been taken.

However much SL likes and rates LJ, and envisages him being here for the long term, that goodwill wouldn't endure if the plan, and project, went wildly off course.

The prospect of another relegation wouldn't be tolerated, and, however reluctantly, change would be made well before 20 games.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

LJ is a top guy, he acknowledges that the groundwork for today's success was started with the much criticised SOD  and Cotts .

Johnson is an intelligent and generous person and if there are still pockets of bitterness at the club this goes à long way to soothing the negativity.

:clap:

Cotts, yes.

I can't let you have SOD. Possibly some of the worst football I've ever seen down at the gate in my lifetime. Yes, he may have signed Flint (I think), and he may have contributed to some of the good work behind the scenes; but the man was absolute dross, and will always be remembered by me as nothing less than a complete basket case.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

'Sean O'Driscoll was the first to tackle the problem of older players on long contracts. He moved alot of those on..'

Bit too much credit for SO'D here, surely McInnes started that process?

McInnes was guilty of bringing in a lot of dross on high wages, remember Ricky Foster amongst others?

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

McInnes was guilty of bringing in a lot of dross on high wages, remember Ricky Foster amongst others?

I don't know if Foster was on high wages, but I wouldn't dispute that not every signing Mcinnes made was a good one.

He did however clear out much of the dross accumulated under several managers before his arrival.

It's hard to remember exactly which players left under each manager, but my recollection is that Del got rid of alot of players, so the process of chopping the dead wood started under him rather than SO'D.

That's my point.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristol-city-manager-derek-mcinnes-lets-rip/story-28722363-detail/story.html

30 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Cotts, yes.

I can't let you have SOD. Possibly some of the worst football I've ever seen down at the gate in my lifetime. Yes, he may have signed Flint (I think), and he may have contributed to some of the good work behind the scenes; but the man was absolute dross, and will always be remembered by me as nothing less than a complete basket case.

With SOD there was plenty of good work done, just not on the pitch. 

He got rid of a lot of the old players on long expensive contracts, which is what enabled Cotts to make the signings he did the next summer.

He also signed 3 of our current starters and gave 2 more their first real chances. So that's almost half of our starting 11 which we can give some thanks to SOD for

38 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

'Sean O'Driscoll was the first to tackle the problem of older players on long contracts. He moved alot of those on..'

36 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I think both of these guys were given too much work to do to try and get the backroom and structure of the club up to scratch in a unhelpful environment. I think we needed a Mark Ashton long before we got one.  

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

What negatively?

Consistently 4th, that'll do in the SBC.

55 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

McInnes signed a fair bit of dross on lengthy contracts. Our wage bill was still massive when he left the club. He made small inroads maybe, but it was definitely SOD who was tasked with dramatically reducing the clubs wage bill and he did that successfully if nothing else.

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

McInnes signed a fair bit of dross on lengthy contracts. Our wage bill was still massive when he left the club. He made small inroads maybe, but it was definitely SOD who was tasked with dramatically reducing the clubs wage bill and he did that successfully if nothing else.

I'm not sure I can agree with that, but, as I said it's hard to remember exactly who departed under each manager.

My recollection is that we had accumulated a very large and unwieldy squad at the time of McInnes' arrival and he notably tried to get rid of as much inherited dead wood as possible in his 15 months. I suspect he was also tasked to do so.

It would be very interesting to see the squads inherited by each of the 2 managers, and a further list of the players each succeeded in shedding during their tenures.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

What negatively?

I'm referring to the negativity that still exists amongst certain supporters and perhaps members of staff concerning the managers LJ spoke about .

They have both created  conflict during and in the wake of their tenures and our coach has acknowledged the fact that they have also been responsible for where we are now .

Therefore we should forgive SOD and Cotts for the bad stuff and be thankful for the good . Let go the negativity and unite.

LJ impresses me .

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I would argue that he also got the club thinking about how to succeed. 

52 minutes ago, Super said:

Tbh I couldn't care less who SOD signed, the style of football was the worst I have seen still thinking back to Sheffield United at home how I stayed for the 90 minutes i'll never know.

That's a very narrow minded view to have. Take Flint out and I'm not quite sure we would be where we are today.

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

That's a very narrow minded view to have. Take Flint out and I'm not quite sure we would be where we are today.

Don't agree with that at all. Had we kept SOD we would of been relegated to league 2 and who knows where this club would be now.

55 minutes ago, Super said:

Tbh I couldn't care less who SOD signed, the style of football was the worst I have seen still thinking back to Sheffield United at home how I stayed for the 90 minutes i'll never know.

I couldn't care less about the 2014/15 season, Cotts lashing out at some of our fans in one of his last games was unforgivable.

Is the above a stupid statement? Of course it is, with every single manager there is a bigger picture. The SOD regime was very healthy for our club, even if he didn't get good results on the pitch as a manager.

Likewise it would be stupid for any City fan to hold the above incident by Cotterill as something to bang on about at every time they could.

It says a lot when both managers to follow SOD have praised the behind the scenes work that he did. And I would suggest they are in a far better position to make any comment there than you or I.

(I also believe Pembo was brought in by SOD)

15 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I couldn't care less about the 2014/15 season, Cotts lashing out at some of our fans in one of his last games was unforgivable.

Is the above a stupid statement? Of course it is, with every single manager there is a bigger picture. The SOD regime was very healthy for our club, even if he didn't get good results on the pitch as a manager.

Likewise it would be stupid for any City fan to hold the above incident by Cotterill as something to bang on about at every time they could.

It says a lot when both managers to follow SOD have praised the behind the scenes work that he did. And I would suggest they are in a far better position to make any comment there than you or I.

(I also believe Pembo was brought in by SOD)

One outburst by SC can't possibly be compared to all of the football SOD had us playing, Shirley not?

24 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm not sure I can agree with that, but, as I said it's hard to remember exactly who departed under each manager.

My recollection is that we had accumulated a very large and unwieldy squad at the time of McInnes' arrival and he notably tried to get rid of as much inherited dead wood as possible in his 15 months. I suspect he was also tasked to do so.

It would be very interesting to see the squads inherited by each of the 2 managers, and a further list of the players each succeeded in shedding during their tenures.

Like you, I find it difficult to recall exact details of who was coming and going at that time.

What I can recall is that the year before McInnes arrived our wage bill was spiraling out of control at something like £18m per annum. McInnes made a claim just after he left City I believe that during his tenure at City he "had halved the wage bill" which turned out to be nonsense when the club's accounts were revealed. He has reduced it only marginally over his time with the club.

Our recruitment was a complete mess under him as well and I know McInnes made it aware to his paymasters that he needed help but didn't receive any. He signed Steven Davies, half decent player, terrible attitude and turned down the opportunity to sign Flint.

It was really only when SOD came in that things started to change for the better and so I can see what LJ is getting at with his comments.

I'm not sure if it's just our club, but I really feel like our fans want the manager at any given time to be particularly proud and enthusiastic about being Bristol City manager.

I wonder if this is partly because we're a proud city but feel overlooked in football terms. We know the city is big, we know the money is there and now we can be pretty sure we'd average good crowds if promoted. Despite what we know, we're perennially ignored and patronised. I think our fans take particular offence when fans of clubs like Fulham and Forest believe we should just roll over as 'little' Bristol City. 

We're pretty unique in being such a massive city with such a poor football team. I really think this means we want our managers to be particularly proud to be here, more than fans of other clubs because our support feels as a club we've been overlooked down to our mediocrity.

I thought SO'D would turn it round eventually, not as quickly as Cotterill did though. I think he did lots of the nasty work that helped lay the foundations for our success now. Something I never got from him though was a sense of pride in being our manager, he's dour and his public persona is uninspiring. I thought his condemnation of the post-Rovers pitch invasion was poor pr and came across really badly.

Then came Cotterill who I felt showed more of this pride that we want. He's kind of from the area and his natural passion and exuberance for management is clear. This was an opposite to SO'D and coupled with success our fans liked it a lot. 

Now we've got LJ, he's got the forward thinking ideas and in my opinion will have more success as a manager over his career than Cotterill. Crucially, for us, he loves the club. His dad is a legend here and I really feel like he's invested in our project. All three have done their bit in some way or another. I'm really glad now though that we've got a youthful, inspiring man who loves being Bristol City manager.

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

LJ is a top guy, he acknowledges that the groundwork for today's success was started with the much criticised SOD  and Cotts .

Johnson is an intelligent and generous person and if there are still pockets of bitterness at the club this goes à long way to soothing the negativity.

:clap:

Suggesting a song for LJ in your title Major?

I think SO'D was simply in the wrong post.  He clearly found man management difficult but I learnt a great deal by his post match comments.  He is a great analyser of the game.

As for SC I never liked him - too much the know all.  Fine when you are winning and totally disastrous when you are not

Seems to me Lee is good with the Press, an excellent man manager, a good thinker about the game and an innovative coach.  I rated him from the first and believe he can get us promotion. After all if his Dad came within 90 minutes of doing so my money is very definitely on the son to do it

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't know if Foster was on high wages, but I wouldn't dispute that not every signing Mcinnes made was a good one.

He did however clear out much of the dross accumulated under several managers before his arrival.

It's hard to remember exactly which players left under each manager, but my recollection is that Del got rid of alot of players, so the process of chopping the dead wood started under him rather than SO'D.

That's my point.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristol-city-manager-derek-mcinnes-lets-rip/story-28722363-detail/story.html

and added McManus, Forster Clarkson Pearson Morris Wilson and bates

Archived