IGNORED

LJ take a bow

Major Isewater

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Like you, I find it difficult to recall exact details of who was coming and going at that time.

What I can recall is that the year before McInnes arrived our wage bill was spiraling out of control at something like £18m per annum. McInnes made a claim just after he left City I believe that during his tenure at City he "had halved the wage bill" which turned out to be nonsense when the club's accounts were revealed. He has reduced it only marginally over his time with the club.

Our recruitment was a complete mess under him as well and I know McInnes made it aware to his paymasters that he needed help but didn't receive any.

It was really only when SOD came in that things started to change for the better and so I can see what LJ is getting at with his comments.

I'm not going to answer on behalf of McInnes on your insistence he was exaggerating when he said he'd halved the wage bill.

I've no idea, and that's not what we're discussing.

LJ has said O'Driscoll 'was the first to tackle the problem of older players on long contracts. He moved alot of those on..'

You yourself said McInnes made inroads in that respect, my own recollection was he made substantial inroads, but either way we can at least agree that he made some inroads and when LJ states SO'D was the first to tackle the problem he seems to have overlooked the notable start made by McInnes.

Getting rid of the dead wood he inherited was absolutely a feature of DM's tenure - some may say 1 or 2 of his own signings turned out to add to the diminished logpile, but that's another argument entirely!

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

and added McManus, Forster Clarkson Pearson Morris Wilson and bates

I rated Pearson, good player, unlucky with injuries at City.

Morris I think was brought to be DM's eyes and ears in a very suspect dressing room still containing a number of players who had stopped playing for previous managers when it suited them. He certainly didn't turn out to be a good signing.

As for the others, the phrase in question regarding dead wood was 'older players on long contracts.'

Not sure that applies to many of the above, in fact short term loans aren't relevant at all, and Clarkson was signed by Gary Johnson.

I think it's worth mentioning as to what was being asked of each manager, by the owner and board, when they were employed by the Club.

What was the directive and what funds were available.

Each is a different scenario.

When SoD came in, the directive was all about the '5 pillars' and a 'new' direction being taken by the Club.

All very good intentions...but they overlooked the fact, or made a misjudgement, in that they didn't have the 'infrastructure' in place to achieve all that was being asked from the manager.

In SoDs case...he did a lot of good, but at the detriment of first team results.

SC came in an turned the first team round and took advantage of the work behind closed doors to what foundations SoD had put in place.

He continued in that vein for a while...which was according to plan...but then decided he would do it 'his way' rather than what the Clubs blueprint was.

That was the start of it all unravelling...

Now LJ has come in, and it's working again, with the Club and it's blueprint, and everyone is working together. Instead of walking on eggshells, not wanting to upset the manager or the people that matter.

Imo...SoD tried his best, but got frustrated with the lack of infrastructure and professionals in place. He did a lot to improve that...but the first team suffered.

SC bolloxed it up, when he decided to go maverick.

Just my opinion of course ;-)

And FR can bugger off before she say's anything... ;-)

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think it's worth mentioning as to what was being asked of each manager, by the owner and board, when they were employed by the Club.

What was the directive and what funds were available.

Each is a different scenario.

When SoD came in, the directive was all about the '5 pillars' and a 'new' direction being taken by the Club.

All very good intentions...but they overlooked the fact, or made a misjudgement, in that they didn't have the 'infrastructure' in place to achieve all that was being asked from the manager.

In SoDs case...he did a lot of good, but at the detriment of first team results.

SC came in an turned the first team round and took advantage of the work behind closed doors to what foundations SoD had put in place.

He continued in that vein for a while...which was according to plan...but then decided he would do it 'his way' rather than what the Clubs blueprint was.

That was the start of it all unravelling...

Now LJ has come in, and it's working again, with the Club and it's blueprint, and everyone is working together. Instead of walking on eggshells, not wanting to upset the manager or the people that matter.

Imo...SoD tried his best, but got frustrated with the lack of infrastructure and professionals in place. He did a lot to improve that...but the first team suffered.

SC bolloxed it up, when he decided to go maverick.

Just my opinion of course ;-)

And FR can bugger off before she say's anything... ;-)

That was the biggest problem, can you imagine LJ having to arrange his own meeting with supporters in a local pub with no representation from the club in support? I remember thinking how much he had been hung out to dry that night.

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Some interesting stats here:-

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/clubs/bristol-city/

LJ currently has the best win % of literally every manager in our history. His record over 30 games is W16 D5 L9. That's playoff form. Admittedly 30 games isn't the biggest sample size, but it's a hugely impressive start.

You can't read too much into those stats, without taking into consideration what was going on at the club at the time, what division they were in, funds available, circumstances etc,etc,etc.

That's the case for ALL managers we've had at the Club.

Without being pedantic...Millen has the best rate.

Regarding the division scenario...SC's was the best win rate by miles in league 1.

But his win rate in the Championship was the lowest of any of our managers regardless of division.

Just goes to show how well he did in that one promotion season to get.

When you take into account all the considerations, I would say Terry Cooper has done the best job asked of anyone, considering circumstances.

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

You can't read too much into those stats, without taking into consideration what was going on at the club at the time, what division they were in, funds available, circumstances etc,etc,etc.

That's the case for ALL managers we've had at the Club.

Without being pedantic...Millen has the best rate.

Regarding the division scenario...SC's was the best win rate by miles in league 1.

But his win rate in the Championship was the lowest of any of our managers regardless of division.

Just goes to show how well he did in that one promotion season to get.

When you take into account all the considerations, I would say Terry Cooper has done the best job asked of anyone, considering circumstances.

I'm not suggesting we read too much into it. Of course plenty of other factors influence a manager's record. What it does suggest is that as a club - of which the manager is a part - we are currently heading in the right direction.

Millen's doesn't have the best rate if you look at his overall record across both spells.

Archived