IGNORED

LJ take a bow

Major Isewater

O'Driscoll seems to be remembered for the last few months of his tenure which was, as final months tend to be, abysmal. However, the first couple of months were actually pretty good.

I've pointed out on here before just how crucial the injury to Jon Stead and subsequent defeat at Wolves were. During the period between SO'D taking over and Stead getting injured we took 17 points from 11 games. That's just 3 fewer than we've taken in the opening 11 games of this season. After the injury we took 2 points from the remaining 9 games.

I don't say this to defend O'Driscoll particularly. Bad things happen and it's the manager's job to deal with them and he had a whole new squad to work with the next season so he doesn't get excused that. But it's worth remembering that he was producing playoff form prior to the injury and who knows what would have happened without that injury.

9 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

O'Driscoll seems to be remembered for the last few months of his tenure which was, as final months tend to be, abysmal. However, the first couple of months were actually pretty good.

I've pointed out on here before just how crucial the injury to Jon Stead and subsequent defeat at Wolves were. During the period between SO'D taking over and Stead getting injured we took 17 points from 11 games. That's just 3 fewer than we've taken in the opening 11 games of this season. After the injury we took 2 points from the remaining 9 games.

I don't say this to defend O'Driscoll particularly. Bad things happen and it's the manager's job to deal with them and he had a whole new squad to work with the next season so he doesn't get excused that. But it's worth remembering that he was producing playoff form prior to the injury and who knows what would have happened without that injury.

no it wasn't we won 3 games in the first couple of months under SoD, when he took charge he had 19 games to save us, we won 5 drew 4 lost 10, getting hammered by charlton huddlesfield Derby, taking 19 points

I never saw a Bristol City team give up before SoD,

He was a disaster full stop, no amount of re-writing history or supposed off field work will change that,

It can be comparable with Johnson taking over as they had a similar amount of games (you can include the charlton game but I won't,

Johnson had 16 games winning winning 7 drawing 3 losing 6 taking 24 points (or 27 including charlton)

2 hours ago, Super said:

Tbh I couldn't care less who SOD signed, the style of football was the worst I have seen still thinking back to Sheffield United at home how I stayed for the 90 minutes i'll never know.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

That's a very narrow minded view to have. Take Flint out and I'm not quite sure we would be where we are today.

It's not narrow minded when you take in to account SOD was annoyed we had signed Flint for so much and said he wouldn't have paid as much for him. It's hard to give him credit given he didn't even see £300k value in Aden Flint!

2 wins in 18. That's all I will remember SOD for. Nothing more.

3 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Cotts, yes.

I can't let you have SOD. Possibly some of the worst football I've ever seen down at the gate in my lifetime. Yes, he may have signed Flint (I think), and he may have contributed to some of the good work behind the scenes; but the man was absolute dross, and will always be remembered by me as nothing less than a complete basket case.

You have to look beyond what happened on the pitch. We had a massive unbalanced squad and he shifted out a lot of dead wood on high wages and started to bring in younger players. Yes his style of play wasn't great but he had a very difficult job . If cotts or LJ  had the squad we got relegated with they would of both struggled. The club was in a mess. 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

You have to look beyond what happened on the pitch. We had a massive unbalanced squad and he shifted out a lot of dead wood on high wages and started to bring in younger players. Yes his style of play wasn't great but he had a very difficult job . If cotts or LJ  had the squad we got relegated with they would of both struggled. The club was in a mess. 

young players like Brian Howard marlon Harewood and Nicky Shorey?

Cotts did have that squad and saved us getting us to finish mid table

3 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Cotts, yes.

I can't let you have SOD. Possibly some of the worst football I've ever seen down at the gate in my lifetime. Yes, he may have signed Flint (I think), and he may have contributed to some of the good work behind the scenes; but the man was absolute dross, and will always be remembered by me as nothing less than a complete basket case.

Isn't up to you t let anyone have anything. The football was terrible, but some of the things he implimented in his time here have dramatically moved the club forward. Just because you didn't like the bloke doesn't mean he shouldn't be respected and appreciated for the good things he did. What a stupid thing to say 

1 hour ago, Griffin said:

One outburst by SC can't possibly be compared to all of the football SOD had us playing, Shirley not?

As said in the post, both things are stupid things to do. 

SOD was a disaster in terms of the results we were getting, but off the pitch he put into place the things that allowed Cotterill to buy the players that then won the league.

To ignore the wider picture is just silly and that's the point I was making.

I won't remember Cotterill for refusing to change his tactics or make subs, I will remember him for our double winning season.

Likewise I will remember what O'Driscoll did for us behind the scenes and the JPT win over Rovers.

55 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

no it wasn't we won 3 games in the first couple of months under SoD, when he took charge he had 19 games to save us, we won 5 drew 4 lost 10, getting hammered by charlton huddlesfield Derby, taking 19 points

In the first couple of months i.e. January 14th when he took over to March 9th when Stead got injured we won 5 out of 11.

In the remainder of the season we lost 7 out of 9, including those defeats you mention.

You're not wrong about them giving up and that being unforgivable. But prior to Stead getting injured things weren't just better, they were actually pretty good, superficially at least.

No sympathy at all for McInnes. He can cry and moan about the 'big squad', but he was the one who signed McGivern, McManus (on loan, twice, including making him captain), Foster, Jody Morris....spanked £3m on Davies and Baldock when we were crying out for two CBs. Changed our defensive line every game.

I'd say those things are equally as damning as joining a club on a big wage bill. I doubt Baldock/Davies and the wages of the multiple loan signings he made helped that at all.

8 minutes ago, Selred said:

Released by Cheltenham I think. 

I had high hopes for him, looked a very good player in his brief time here. Very odd.

I think it was more that he came from Arsenal we thought he would be good. Now at AFC Telford.

4 hours ago, Super said:

Tbh I couldn't care less who SOD signed, the style of football was the worst I have seen still thinking back to Sheffield United at home how I stayed for the 90 minutes i'll never know.

This

the football during his tenure, and his post match interviews made me want to slit my wrists.

I've never seen a team get relegated with such a whimper as when he took over, and barely improved the following season.

20 minutes ago, reddoh said:

last time I saw him live, was for Telford (non league) their fans thought he was poor

to be fair I don't mind taking a punt on a young player, we gave him a chance and he wasn't good enough, nothing wrong with that, you never know where the next vardy will come from,

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Qualifying from your Group isn't a failure, only one team in Europe can win the Trophy, does that make every other club a failure?

I like Wenger but they are further away from winning it now than they have ever been.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

I like Wenger but they are further away from winning it now than they have ever been.

That's because they don't spend money they haven't earned unlike most of the others who have rich owners who pump money in like there's no tomorrow. Those clubs rise and fall, but Arsenal are consistently near the top as they live within their means.

Archived