IGNORED

Forum technical problems?

BS4 on Tour...

15 hours ago, 22A said:

I'm trying to post on the Gerry Gow thread from a PC and the system is not letting me.

After seeing the topic yesterday afternoon and getting a shock about Gerry's death, I tried to get on to the topic and nothing doing. Perhaps it was just an overload,  so many members wanting to get on at the same time, who knows, but around 10 minutes later, it was OK.

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Digressing slightly, but, on a similar, sort of, subject, does anybody - presumably non-UK based - have a problem logging in when they have HOLA activated?

If so, is there any solution, or do they have to deactivate HOLA to log in?

I get no problem Phil when HOLA is activated, does this happen all the time? perhaps it's something to do with your ISP. Could also be your firewall, do you have allow apps through firewall on?

49 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

After seeing the topic yesterday afternoon and getting a shock about Gerry's death, I tried to get on to the topic and nothing doing. Perhaps it was just an overload,  so many members wanting to get on at the same time, who knows, but around 10 minutes later, it was OK.

I've tried posting on the Gerry Gow tribute thread many times, but when I press 'submit reply' nothing happens.

If they're being somehow stored and half a dozen identical posts appear all at once, that'll be the reason.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Weirdly, Chrome is now being sporadic in that posting is intermittent.

Had exact same once I started on Chrome last night - recovered ability to press things and type in the message window, but hitting "submit reply" refused to post half the time, and certain buttons like 'Insert Other Media' don't respond. So I'm not sure there is any setup working 100% on the new forum software. 

With that said Chrome is still (at least temporarily) preferable to Safari which is so broken and useless now that it would have been high on Tony Pulis 1999 scouting list. Yesterday you could click on a reply field but not type, and today, it doesn't even have a reply field (or quote buttons) - completely bizarre:

33orx1h.png

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

Had exact same once I started on Chrome last night - recovered ability to press things and type in the message window, but hitting "submit reply" refused to post half the time, and certain buttons like 'Insert Other Media' don't respond. So I'm not sure there is any setup working 100% on the new forum software. 

With that said Chrome is still (at least temporarily) preferable to Safari which is so broken and useless now that it would have been high on Tony Pulis 1999 scouting list. Yesterday you could click on a reply field but not type, and today, it doesn't even have a reply field (or quote buttons) - completely bizarre:

33orx1h.png

Glad it wasn't just me having problems!

Seems to be a bit more stable today, I had the additional problems you reported yesterday as well.

I've just logged in via Crome and this is the first time I've been able to post for over 24 hours.  I am unable to post from iPhone, iPad and Explorer.  Of course the problem with this problem is that there are potentially many others suffering the same issue who are powerless to contribute to this thread!  This is what I see when I try to post.  There is nothing clickable that enables me to start typing a post:-

(FYI @Tomarse)

Capture.JPG

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I've just logged in via Crome and this is the first time I've been able to post for over 24 hours.  I am unable to post from iPhone, iPad and Explorer.  Of course the problem with this problem is that there are potentially many others suffering the same issue who are powerless to contribute to this thread!  This is what I see when I try to post.  There is nothing clickable that enables me to start typing a post:-

(FYI @Tomarse)

Capture.JPG

same as what i get.

3 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I get no problem Phil when HOLA is activated, does this happen all the time? perhaps it's something to do with your ISP. Could also be your firewall, do you have allow apps through firewall on?

Hi,

It is a relatively recent problem, but is now permanent whenever I try to enter OTIB.

Unfortunately, my computer knowledge is so limited that I am unable to answer your queries concerning ISP and firewall :facepalm:

Having said that, it is more of an inconvenience than a problem - I simply deactivate HOLA when I want to access OTIB.

• Admin
13 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Digressing slightly, but, on a similar, sort of, subject, does anybody - presumably non-UK based - have a problem logging in when they have HOLA activated?

If so, is there any solution, or do they have to deactivate HOLA to log in?

My HALO slipped years ago...........

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Somebody more technically minded than me would be able to explain it better, but it is basically a means of 'fooling' overseas sites that you are in their country and, thus, able to watch location-restricted sites.

Thanks Phil.  I don't think I have that loaded on my laptop or ipad.  It must be difficult for the security service in various countries!

2 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Thanks Phil.  I don't think I have that loaded on my laptop or ipad.  It must be difficult for the security service in various countries!

It's very easy to download - somebody on this very site kindly advised me some time ago.

I find it useful for watching, inter alia, news videos and match highlights on SKY and newspaper sites.

Unfortunately, the BBC appear to have recently restricted access - I suspect this is due to their new licence regulations and BBC iPlayer problems.

• Admin

@Bat Fastard

If you were in Spain and used your internet device to ask the ITV to display the England game tonight, the ITV website would see your computer was in Spain and you'd get a message saying that programme was unavailable in your location. With Hola (or other Proxies or VPNs) you ask a computer in that country to ask on your behalf and Hola then shows you the result. In practice it is pretty seamless most the time with a decent proxy/VPN

2 minutes ago, Ian M said:

@Bat Fastard

If you were in Spain and used your internet device to ask the ITV to display the England game tonight, the ITV website would see your computer was in Spain and you'd get a message saying that programme was unavailable in your location. With Hola (or other Proxies or VPNs) you ask a computer in that country to ask on your behalf and Hola then shows you the result. In practice it is pretty seamless most the time with a decent proxy/VPN

Thank you Ian - now I understand!

• Admin

@Tomarse

There's definitely something in the quote process or to do with formatting.

• When I pressed Quote, I couldn't submit my reply above this post.
  • When I copied the reply including the quote box, went back to the index, reloaded the page and pasted it in to the reply box, I couldn't submit my reply above this post.
  • When I copied the reply without the quote box, went back to the index, reloaded the page and pasted it in to the reply box, I could submit my reply above this post.
  • When I did this post as bullet points, I couldn't submit this reply.

Edit: bullet points appear to save when editing

12 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

This.

Works with Chrome but not IE.

Not sure what's going on, can't seem to use it at all with an old Samsung tablet.

Yup. I had the same problem (using Samsung) earlier and couldn't reply or Quote posts but could read threads and was signed in. Switched to Crome from IE and it works fine now.

Archived