IGNORED

silence or applause.

dragonreds

I hope i,m not out of line but with the sad passing of Gerry Gow it got me thinking.

I know the trend is for a minutes applause but I think in the case of Gerry it would be nice if we had a silence and let me say why.

with a applause you concentrate on clapping for a minute and you forget the reason your clapping but with a silence you get to think and reflect and remember what Gerry Gow meant to you

Ive had many second favourite players and he will always be my favourite.

these are my feelings hope i have not caused offence

Personally I'd like to sing "he's here,he's there he's every flipping where, Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow" because that song sums him up as a player and the one we sang when he was crunching into the opposition.

Cant see that happening tho unless it starts spontaneously during a minuets applause.

I minuets silence doesn't do anything for me.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Personally I'd like to sing "he's here,he's there he's every flipping where, Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow" because that song sums him up as a player and the one we sang when he was crunching into the opposition.

Cant see that happening tho unless it starts spontaneously during a minuets applause.

What about a minutes rendition of "his song" on a chosen minute, rather than applause or silence..? 

Different, meaningful and individual. 

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

In fairness it is irrelevant what a minutes silence does to you. Odd comment.

13 minutes ago, Super said:

In fairness it is irrelevant what a minutes silence does to you. Odd comment.

I always observe the armistice minutes silence because it allows time to reflect on the lives lost during conflict and what those people went through despite not knowing any of them.

In Gerry Gows case he gave me and many many others great joy from seeing him play. He was very tough and as hard as they come. Not only that he could play as well. Great vision and a goal or two in him.

So in Gerry Gows case me saying that a minuets silence for him does nothing for me is because like many others I saw him play and we all cheered, chanted and sung his name as a sign of the respect we all felt. 

For me the same type of respect should be shown instead of a minuets silence.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Silence before the game and a minute of applause during it.

This. An impeccable minutes silence pre kick off then a minutes applause in the 64th minute which will inevitably change into Gerrys' song.

We don't have many club legends but GG is certainly one, if not THE one, we have to get this right.

I would like to see the modern side, pre game, wearing T-shirts with 'GOW 4' on the back of them. It would be nice to see the modern BCFC side paying respect to one of the best we've ever had, if not THE best we've ever had.

I believe some supporters are in touch with the club to sort something out and have been since GG passed.

Applause is appropriate as an acknowledgement, silence is appropriate as a sign of deep respect. It depends upon the situation. For Mr Gow I'd say he deserved deep respect. 

We've had this sort of discussion before. The reality is there are so many ex players and fans who pass away each year, tributes at every match tend to lose the significance / dignity of the occasion. Many people don't know who the applause is for. Far better to have a proper ceremony at the end of the season for those who are no longer with us 

8 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

We've had this sort of discussion before. The reality is there are so many ex players and fans who pass away each year, tributes at every match tend to lose the significance / dignity of the occasion. Many people don't know who the applause is for. Far better to have a proper ceremony at the end of the season for those who are no longer with us 

I agree but that there be exceptions, Mr Gow being a case in point. Im not saying some lives mean more, rather some left a bigger footprint on this club rather. It would be rather crass to refer to some other living players so I'll avoid that, but I'm sure we can think of players even in the past decade some of whom when the time comes we'd want to mark specifically and some who we'd agree to acknowledge as a group. 

A minutes silence shows the correct respect, any other tributes such as chanting or applause at a given time are OK,  but a silence not only allows for reflection but also represents genuine respect.

if I'm not mistaken the minutes applause that is common place now has only happened because of the refusal of some fans (usually opposition) to respect the minutes silence and abuse it by chanting or singing.

I personally hope we will be standing with our heads bowed and in silence, I won't be the only one with a piece of grit in my eye.

I'm more of a fan of a minutes applause...to applaud and celebrate Gerrys life and all the great things he did for our club. Always look back on a person who's no longer with us with a smile, thats my philosophy! But obviously we should remember him in the way his family have requested.. Which seems to be a minutes silence so thats absolutely fine too.

Archived