IGNORED

QPR Away Following

RightUpInCider

1 minute ago, RightUpInCider said:

The atmosphere was so flat last night?

The Fulham game in the cup was a great laugh (even when losing) but the effort last night was not existent.

It's not easy to get people going in a wide shallow away end where sound disappears forward and you can't even see an adjoining block let alone hear them. Fulham worked because the sound came from the back of the away end, carried forward, and everyone was joining in.

Thankfully there were some superfans at the game last night who more than made up for everyone else, and didn't once mention it to everyone around them :facepalm:. Yes it was flat but the level of abuse for your own fans was the worst I've heard since Colchester away 2 years ago.

It certainly is expensive. For varied reasons I have been to less than 5 away games in seasons now. One observation from Charlton away in Feb and Preston and palace away in Feb and Jan 2011 respectively- a large proportion of our away fans, well I found it at these 3 anyway, seemed inclined to sit and not make a lot of noise at all. I even remember at Palace away in 2011 stewards came and told the away fans to sit down and us in the bottom part complied- I was happy to sing and be noisy, I always am so it was disappointing to be denied that opportunity, I hope it;s changed since then. Next away game I go to, higher up the stand I reckon.

31 minutes ago, RightUpInCider said:

The atmosphere was so flat last night?

The Fulham game in the cup was a great laugh (even when losing) but the effort last night was not existent.

What happened!?!

The main thing about both Fulham away games was the  'Freeman's on fire song' with more and more people joining in and then it going on for 20 minute stretches. I wasn't there last night but I guess it was a bit of a non starter with him sat on the bench?

I was wondering when this might be brought up.  Yes the atmosphere was flat last night, mainly for the reasons @Olé gave.  From where I was (just behind the goal) there were about three groups trying to get songs going.  One was to the right of me, one to the left, and the other so far left I could barely make out what they were singing. The three groups were rarely agreed on which song to sing let alone in time with each other, so no wonder the less vocal amongst us were reticent to join in - which song should they join in with.

Also, the fact that the game was a bit flat and sh*t doesn't help.  You'll have noticed @RightUpInCider that the atmosphere did pick up when we started playing well and, as one singer noticed, "Whenever we got a corner".  I know that the intention of singing is to get the team playing well and not vice versa but this is the way it works.

I was thinking on the way home that perhaps the singers should dot themselves around the crowd. Not miles from each other but just small pockets every few rows.  Then co-ordinate a bit of singing using songs that avoid swear words and have a bit of "Bristol City" to them if at all possible.  That might encourage a few more people to join in.  It may not.  Just seems like having a big block creates a bit of a divide between the fans.

Regardless - insulting your fellow fans was ridiculous and is absolutely not going to encourage anyone to sing.

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

The main thing about both Fulham away games was the  'Freeman's on fire song' with more and more people joining in and then it going on for 20 minute stretches. I wasn't there last night but I guess it was a bit of a non starter with him sat on the bench?

Yeh, it was attempted twice - once after 5 mins then once when he came on.  As he was firstly not on the pitch and secondly never really on fire it didn't exactly catch.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Because not enough people were singing.  Some of those who were decided to encourage those who weren't by calling them "boring b*****ds" and asking them to "sing up you c***s".

Wow. I'm not surprised . Didn't realise singing or standing was compulsory. 

33 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Because not enough people were singing.  Some of those who were decided to encourage those who weren't by calling them "boring b*****ds" and asking them to "sing up you c***s".

Those were the nicer things. "South stand c***s", "Dolman ****s" and various other continual abuse. So no prizes for their AG location.

The real shame is Section 82 and others in the Atyeo do lots of hard work to improve support as a whole, without any such arrogance. 

Just take a look at @Harry post about Saturday game. Sadly others go in there and think they've been given a special superfan pass. 

It really makes me wonder about their thought process. The people who obviously had no intention of singing were, at a decent guess:

• Infrequent City fans/Bristolians from London
  • Friends of the above seeing what City is about
  • Player families/friends (very common in London)

And we want to make these people hate our club why?? The best answer I can give, as per my report last night, was Coke and Natch.

Grown men really need to get a grip...

16 minutes ago, Olé said:

Those were the nicer things. "South stand c***s", "Dolman ****s" and various other continual abuse. So no prizes for their AG location.

The real shame is Section 82 and others in the Atyeo do lots of hard work to improve support as a whole, without any such arrogance. 

Just take a look at @Harry post about Saturday game. Sadly others go in there and think they've been given a special superfan pass. 

It really makes me wonder about their thought process. The people who obviously had no intention of singing were, at a decent guess:

• Infrequent City fans/Bristolians from London
  • Friends of the above seeing what City is about
  • Player families/friends (very common in London)

And we want to make these people hate our club why?? The best answer I can give, as per my report last night, was Coke and Natch.

Grown men really need to get a grip...

Pretty much nail on the head.  I myself am probably in that first group that you mention.  I get to 4/5 games a season, basically the London away games plus maybe one home game at Christmas or in the case of this season, in the summer.   

However, I do also sing a bit, I stand up, and I shout to cheer Bobby up when he misses a one-on-one with a time-waster.  But hearing the insults being thrown at people who you're supposed to have a common cause with...honestly last night it made me want to not sing.

PS I absolutely echo your sentiments re Section 82 and the hard work those guys put in trying to ensure AG has a bit more atmosphere than Craven Cottage or Loftus Road (honestly until they scored the home bit was dead except for that tool in the sombrero off to our left).

Perhaps I come off as the naysayer but, to me, the beauty of the 30 minute rendition of "freeman's on fire" in the cup game was its spontaneity. To hear people try and force the recreation of that, time and time again afterwards is really getting awkward. 

I agree entirely the, frankly, dire display from both teams last night, as well as the pressure to improve from the Cardiff performance did little to make me want to burst into song. I probably fall into the camp of "the miserable bar steward not wanting to sing for the whole game" these days, but after a naff day and coming straight from work all I wanted was a solid city performance and three points off a mid-table team. 

The fella with the sombrero made me laugh, the toot of the vuvuzela or whatever it was and either the comment if he got the city fans attention or the 70s rattle. You've got to have characters at football.

I'm in the top category and only make the occasional away games, but still desperately trying to get my 2 lads supporting city so took them to the game last night. 

I don't think QPR make for a good away section, a very narrow away end spread the support too thinly. I think what some fail to see is that we all go to football for different reasons, whilst on occasion i don't mind 6 pints of Thatcher's and a song song when meeting my old school mates at the ground,  sometimes i like to watch and study the game and appreciate the tactics, does that make me any less of a fan?

Agree it was flat for many of the reasons already stated. Standing to improve the atmosphere was a bit dodgy - it's a bit precipitous.

I usually like a bit of vocals but the upside was that I had an enjoyable sociable evening with the two fellow "singletons" either side of me as we discussed the game and previous visits to Loftus Road. I just chose to ignore the superfan nonsense.

Pity about the game and result but if this is our "blip" then that'll be fine.

Archived