IGNORED

Blinded by the boards

Erithacus

I sat in the lower Lansdown stand 4 rows from the front, I didn't notice the advertising boards until about an hour in when there was a bright red advertising board, I only noticed it because I actually struggled to make out our plsyers on the far side because of it!

For the rest of the game my eyes were constantly drawn to the boards instead of the game, very off putting, I appreciate that the club needs to generate income through advertising but it needs to be done in a way that doesn't affect the viewing of the game as after all, that's what people pay their money for!

Hope something gets done about this. I tried the lower Lansdown last night with a view to moving from the South Stand next season. (Extra revenue for the club). I was sat lower down than I would like and found the pesky advertising made it difficult to see what was happening along the Dolman touchline when the ball was on the ground. (That might be the dreadful refs excuse!) I wont be moving seats next season if its not sorted out. It must have been even worse for the managers and officials in front of us at pitch level.

As well as dimming the brightness, I feel the 'moving' displays distract too much to,.... how about making the ad's 'static' with gently fading in and out transitions between each advert? .... they'd still get their messages across but in a far less distracting manner, (what do the players and match officials feel about constantly bright, flashing and moving displays?.. are they sometimes distracted by them too?) ...

Don't know about you but when a TV/Radio/and in this case pitchside Ad annoys me, yes I notice them, but equally I tend to avoid buying those brands/services that have passed me off ... more often than not rendering the advert counter productive.

Great Stadium experience slightly impaired by over the top PA volume and definitely by the bloody bright and 'moving' electronic advertising boards. 

PS ... sat in WS block 16  row 27  ...only slightly lower than the boxes ... proving distraction not confined to just the lower parts of the stands..

If they have to put them somewhere, put them above the floodlights on top of the stand roof.  At least it won't distract from the footy and those who are fascinated by the adverts can have a clear view. Everybody should be happy and City can ted advertisers that it is a great new idea and charge more!!

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

As well as dimming the brightness, I feel the 'moving' displays distract too much to,.... how about making the ad's 'static' with gently fading in and out transitions between each advert? .... they'd still get their messages across but in a far less distracting manner, (what do the players and match officials feel about constantly bright, flashing and moving displays?.. are they sometimes distracted by them too?) ...

Don't know about you but when a TV/Radio/and in this case pitchside Ad annoys me, yes I notice them, but equally I tend to avoid buying those brands/services that have passed me off ... more often than not rendering the advert counter productive.

Great Stadium experience slightly impaired by over the top PA volume and definitely by the bloody bright and 'moving' electronic advertising boards. 

PS ... sat in WS block 16  row 27  ...only slightly lower than the boxes ... proving distraction not confined to just the lower parts of the stands..

The PA volume was way over the top, I was listening to GJ trying to talk to Hadwin just before the game started and they both had to shout to get their selves heard over the din.  Can't comment about the adverts, as I couldn't get any stream last night, but I can understand the problem,  I don't like bright flashing lights either.  Let's hope it all gets sorted.

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

True until they become grandparents, which seems to render them a confused irrelevance.

Not in this country!  Estonian and Russian women are very family proud and look after young and old as much as they can. They don't stick them in Care Homes, unless it is because they have to have special care.

8 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

They were left on in all the stands, even some in the unoccupied top level of the Lansdown Stand.

Bright balls of light shining across from all the exits in Lower West Stand too.

What happened to darkening the stands 5 minutes into the match and switching the lights on again just before h/t?

Leaving all these lights on throughout the game vastly reduces the previously special atmosphere of a night match.

Couldn't agree more...really struggled to work out who was who last night...the lighting was exceptionally bright and made watching the game difficult and frustrating. That was from the middle of the Dolman.

I think they are bright yes. However this is made seemingly worse by what i think are very poor floodlights!!

very odd how the west stand seems blurry from sat in the dolman. Really think the floodlights need adjusting, adding to or just changed. 

Im trying also to find out, but i feel the poor lights may be contributing to Mark Little being incapable of beating a full back or managing to strike a cross any better than Kieron Agard used to scuff every shot!! :blink:

Well I seem to have poked the ants' nest with this one -  seems it's a sore subject with so many. I'm glad it's not just me this time.

I don't have such a difficulty during afternoon games when the daylight is dominant, but last night really did dazzle.

I like the possibility of reducing the brightness (practical?) but more especially of stopping the animations and making slow cross-fades (unpopular with the sponsors?), so not sure if this will have any impact. The use of these massively wide-format screens in TV coverage all over the planet is now standard, sadly. I would agree with you, Portland Bill, in that respect.

Glad to hear that the subject has got through to the powers, though. Wait and see, I feel.

20 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Is it just me? Having a seat fairly low in the South Stand did anyone else find it a bit difficult to see the play at the far end when those video advertising boards were displaying a white background? Are night games going to be prone to this?

OK, I'm an old duffer who needs better eyesight but sometimes the ball got lost in all the glare.:online2long:

Not sat in my usual seat last night but had sits at the front of the Lansdown stand.

I took my wife last night and she complain about how distracting the lights were, easy solution to this , I won't bring my wife again

Heard it all now! Modern football eh?! Even the advertising annoys people!

Nothing against anyone's opinions or views, totally respect all of these.

But we had so much more to moan about regarding a day out at the football in the good old days! 

Couldn't even walk to some away grounds without getting spat at by old ladies who realised you weren't local in the dim and distant past...

Archived