IGNORED

Barnsley fans

bobbyhutchscurlymullet

Jesus wept they're all over social media too. Thank the lord we only play Barnsley twice this season. Bunch of inbreeding toothless yokels who live in an absolute cesspit that hasn't had a clean water supply since 1969. As Cynic says I'd have a huge chip on my shoulder too being from Barnsley.

Barnsley fan in peace. Signed up to give my two pence. 

First of all, find the comments about our town being a cesspit etc to be tasteless and unnecessary. I get that we're the opposition, but these comments only make the people spouting them look bad. Barnsley has a lot of good, family people who work hard and just enjoy watching their side on a Saturday. Much like Bristol City and any other team in the division. 

Anyway, wanted to go some way to explaining why Lee Johnson isn't too welcome round these parts nowadays. He started out well for us with a few good results in his opening 5 or 6 games, and then it all went pear shaped. He started playing the most negative football ever seen at Oakwell, which was pretty bad considering we'd been hovering around the bottom 5 in the Championship for nigh on 10 years. He was all talk and no result - came out with some infographic about his football philosophy which you might have seen, parts of the pitch labelled 'bomb alley', 'individual brilliance zone' etc. Stunk of a freshly employed jobsworth trying to make his mark. 

With his negative tactics, we went on our worst run since the 1950s, losing 8 games on the trot including an embarrassing 1-0 loss to Altrincham in the FA Cup in the rain at which point many of us wanted him gone. Our chairman chose to give him the very generous benefit of the doubt though despite the fans calling for his head. He had told us for weeks that Conor Hourihane couldn't play in a 2 in midfield and refused to play him in such a system. After the 8th loss he gave in to fan pressure and played him in a 2 in the middle, and all of a sudden we were winning games. It was the pressure from the fans to play Hourihane correctly and the 4-4-2 system that turned us around - not Lee Johnson. He wanted us playing 1 little guy up front with 10 behind the ball, it was the most depressing football I've ever witnessed. 

Anyway, as soon as we'd strung a couple of wins together and got to the JPT final Bristol City came calling and he went for the job without hesitation. That isn't directly what annoys us Barnsley fans. What annoys us is that he could and should have been sacked as Barnsley manager in that horrible run, playing some of the worst football we've ever seen at Oakwell, but our chairman was very generous and gave him extra time that others wouldn't have done. LJ then completely threw this back in his face by leaving as soon as the BC job became available. He completelydisrespected our highly-valued owner/chairman who had shown so much faith in him when others wouldn't have done. It was betrayal of the highest order considering everything our chairman had done for him and all of the chances he'd been given to our detriment. 

On a more recent note, I thought the game today was fairly even and a point apiece probably about right. I think we probably could have nicked it, but you probably think the same from the other side. Missed penalty cost us, but it was a poor effort. 

6 hours ago, allegrif said:

First of all, find the comments about our town being a cesspit etc to be tasteless and unnecessary. I get that we're the opposition, but these comments only make the people spouting them look bad. Barnsley has a lot of good, family people who work hard and just enjoy watching their side on a Saturday. Much like Bristol City and any other team in the division. 

Anyway, wanted to go some way to explaining why Lee Johnson isn't too welcome round these parts nowadays. He started out well for us with a few good results in his opening 5 or 6 games, and then it all went pear shaped. He started playing the most negative football ever seen at Oakwell, which was pretty bad considering we'd been hovering around the bottom 5 in the Championship for nigh on 10 years. He was all talk and no result - came out with some infographic about his football philosophy which you might have seen, parts of the pitch labelled 'bomb alley', 'individual brilliance zone' etc. Stunk of a freshly employed jobsworth trying to make his mark. 

With his negative tactics, we went on our worst run since the 1950s, losing 8 games on the trot including an embarrassing 1-0 loss to Altrincham in the FA Cup in the rain at which point many of us wanted him gone. Our chairman chose to give him the very generous benefit of the doubt though despite the fans calling for his head. He had told us for weeks that Conor Hourihane couldn't play in a 2 in midfield and refused to play him in such a system. After the 8th loss he gave in to fan pressure and played him in a 2 in the middle, and all of a sudden we were winning games. It was the pressure from the fans to play Hourihane correctly and the 4-4-2 system that turned us around - not Lee Johnson. He wanted us playing 1 little guy up front with 10 behind the ball, it was the most depressing football I've ever witnessed. 

Anyway, as soon as we'd strung a couple of wins together and got to the JPT final Bristol City came calling and he went for the job without hesitation. That isn't directly what annoys us Barnsley fans. What annoys us is that he could and should have been sacked as Barnsley manager in that horrible run, playing some of the worst football we've ever seen at Oakwell, but our chairman was very generous and gave him extra time that others wouldn't have done. LJ then completely threw this back in his face by leaving as soon as the BC job became available. He completelydisrespected our highly-valued owner/chairman who had shown so much faith in him when others wouldn't have done. It was betrayal of the highest order considering everything our chairman had done for him and all of the chances he'd been given to our detriment. 

On a more recent note, I thought the game today was fairly even and a point apiece probably about right. I think we probably could have nicked it, but you probably think the same from the other side. Missed penalty cost us, but it was a poor effort. 

We've heard the same story quite a few times now. 

With all due respect, I don't think anyone cares. 

He came here because his club came calling and he didn't want to miss the opportunity, it happens. 

Good luck for the rest of the season, you look a decent side from what I can see. 

Let's be perfectly honest - in all of my time watching City I've lost count of the number of times I've come away from a game absolutely raging about the bully boy tactics of the opposition, and questioning why we never/rarely adopt the same approach. Well on the basis of what I've heard and read about yesterday's game (I didn't go) it looks like we may at last have added this attribute to our armoury. We all know that we dont play like that every week, however your average Barnsley fan (who at best sees us once a season) is gonna think we do. So what? Have a look in the paper this morning, the result will show you a creditable away draw at a tough venue. I don't care what they think, I don't even feel the need to justify anything. Rest assured that when they come to us they will feel there is some kind of score to settle. Again, so what? I have every confidence in LJ and the club/team to adapt accordingly. Let's move on, and bring on the next challenge. 

COYR!!!

7 hours ago, allegrif said:

Bloody hell another one.

WE KNOW why you don't like Johnson. We've been hearing your laments all week.

Another example of 'people spouting comments that make them look bad' is all of you lot bitching on like an angry bunch of teenage girls because LJ had the temerity to leave your club for one with which he had a previous affinity. Why don't you just leave it now, enjoy the championship and get on with your season ffs?

Have a lovely Sunday.

Your comment of should have been sacked shows what a simple northern tool you actually are. It's for the board of directors to decide to sack a manager, for what ever reason they didn't.

Considering you've done well since he left, I find it hard to understand the hatred. Life goes on pal!

Yet your chairman had nothing but good things to say about him, and that he understood his decision - he (and your manager) also credited him with changing things behind the scenes and your manager said that he had to change very little when he took over (thanks to LJ's team and behind the scenes changes). I would suggest fans get hurt because they feel like a jilted lover, whereas the people who know the club / going on's are fine about it as they see the day to day reality, not the love tinted jilted spouse glasses the fans do..... just sayin y'knall

If you're all annoyed that he should've been sacked during your bad run then that's your Chairmans fault, not Johnson's. 

Take it out on him if he's too tight or stupid to make tough decisions when you're at the bottom of the table and 8 games into a losing streak.

8 hours ago, allegrif said:

I'd suggest you actually look at LJ's stats whilst at Barnsley...he was obviously trying to create a foundation and platform from which you could progress from.

He has the best win rate of any of your managers, apart from when your present manager was caretaker...now that he's been made manager this season, they are lower than LJ's.

I'd suggest your biggest problem, is your Chairman. and by the sound of it, your fans as well....., as they need to find some patience and give a manager time to establish a system of play.

21managers in 18 seasons...how's that going to help?

I love how @allegrif says Johnson should have been sacked, and then gives the credit for the subsequent good form to the fans rather than Johnson! Because it's the fans that pick the team isn't it. I suspect LJ is intelligent enough to form his own opinions and act on them.

So actually, it was proven to be right decision to keep him.

Their dislike of LJ stinks of jealousy. You could understand it more if they'd crashed and burned after he left, but they've gone on to do well under LJ's replacement and we have done well under LJ. 

It doesn't make a lot of sense, but I quite frankly couldn't give a toss if Barnsley like or dislike us or our manager! 

He was rubbish but they are angry that he left..? Bizarre! 

When Pulis got approached by Pompey I was delighted and would have given him a piggy back there to get rid of him. I dislike Pulis because he deliberately tried to ruin our club, was ex gas and Welsh. He couldn't have left too soon for me and I loved Portsmouth for rescuing us from his distruction. I don't like that he's done so well elsewhere, but I was just glad that he was no longer rotting the core of our club. 

So he should have been sacked before he had a chance to turn it around. I'll bet Alex Ferguson is glad you lot were not in charge when he first started. I would guess as others have said that your Chairman was better placed than you to see where the club was developing behind the scenes. If you don't think that your current success is built on that work, then you are all letting your bitterness blinker you.

Oh and if you think that Johnson only changed the team to please the fans, you are really ******* deluded!

Direct questions to you @allegrif.

1. You dislike LJ because you're  annoyed he wasn't sacked when he "should have been". Is that LJ's fault, or your chairman? Does the subsequent turnaround actually prove the chairman right?

2. Let's assume for one minute that LJ did change the team due to fan pressure (highly dubious, see above). Doesn't he deserve credit for having the humility and flexibility to change his opinion, and a willingness to lose face, for the benefit of the team? Or would you have preferred an inflexible approach and continued poor form? (we have recent experience of this).

3. Imagine yourself as manager of, say, Yeovil Town. You've been on a bad run but you've recovered it and your team is playing well. But you have no particular affinity to the club. Then you are approached for the Barnsley job. You love Barnsley, you played for them, you enjoyed living there, you see great potential to do well there. What do you do?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Anyway, as soon as we'd strung a couple of wins together and got to the JPT final Bristol City came calling

It's a lovely version of events, but our club didn't suddenly out of the blue go "Crikey Barnsley's form has picked up, it's time to make our move before he gets them in the Champions League too". We had a managerial vacancy. That's all there was to the timing.

If the vacancy had occurred during that 8 game run you were all so gracious and patient in, I dare say we'd still have hired him - it wasn't a particularly popular appointment, but it came about because of him fitting an ethos, his affection for our club, and a very impressive set of references from others within the game. Not because Barnsley had suddenly won three on the bounce and got to the final of a competition we may as well have season tickets to the final of.

I think the real disconnect here is we can't quite work out what you're all so upset about. If he was so terrible and lucky to keep his job, you should be grateful that we took him off your hands. If he vaguely started to turn it round (though most of you ascribe little or no credit to him) you should be still more chuffed that we actually paid a transfer fee of sorts for him and your chairman seemed happy with the whole exchange. Your gripes seem to be hugely contradictory.

If you really were asking to sack a manager two months into the job, it doesn't place a lot of credibility in your judgement. Your chairman wasn't being generous or patient about it, he obviously just isn't a complete moron who goes in for the kind of "Captain Knee-jerk" superhero act like all the Italian or Chinese owned clubs in our division. In any case, Johnson senior lost his first NINE in a row for us, went on to lead us to promotion AND 90 minutes from the Premiership.

Nonetheless, thank you for your attempt at an explanation, personally I'm not one to throw around cesspit remarks or to be at all surprised by the tone of your fans after a physical, niggly game. People were perfectly friendly yesterday, I have no issue with Barnsley. It was a game only you deserved to win and for that it's right you're more frustrated. But the whole Johnson thing is an embarrassing sideshow, and the idea we are a nasty team is farfetched - if only we were!

If you really believed this then you would have been only too happy that City came in and took LJ away from you after his 'couple' of consecutive wins and getting you to a Wembley final as things would have inevitably gone pear shaped shortly thereafter. if this were true you would surely be laughing that you got rid without having to pay compo and actually received healthy compo for him!

Also, I would have a go at your board as obviously they should have appointed a committee of fans to manage the club after LJ departed!

11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

1. You dislike LJ because you're  annoyed he wasn't sacked when he "should have been". Is that LJ's fault, or your chairman? Does the subsequent turnaround actually prove the chairman right?

2. Let's assume for one minute that LJ did change the team due to fan pressure (highly dubious, see above). Doesn't he deserve credit for having the humility and flexibility to change his opinion, and a willingness to lose face, for the benefit of the team? Or would you have preferred an inflexible approach and continued poor form? (we have recent experience of this).

3. Imagine yourself as manager of, say, Yeovil Town. You've been on a bad run but you've recovered it and your team is playing well. But you have no particular affinity to the club. Then you are approached for the Barnsley job. You love Barnsley, you played for them, you enjoyed living there, you see great potential to do well there. What do you do?

Are you related to these Tykes?

As you are Chippenham Red and they are Chiponshoulder Reds.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

*I've

*,they

I knew someone was going to quote me on this and be pedantic. I have problems trying to defeat predictive text on my mobile hence me editing nearly every single post I make.

Difference is you understood what I meant. I just couldn't even make out what an earth they were trying to say.

2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I knew someone was going to quote me on this and be pedantic. I have problems trying to defeat predictive text on my mobile hence me editing nearly every single post I make.

Difference is you understood what I meant. I just couldn't even make out what an earth they were trying to say.

I was only pulling you're leg Kodj - but it's a dangerous game commenting on grammar!

33 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I love how @allegrif says Johnson should have been sacked, and then gives the credit for the subsequent good form to the fans rather than Johnson! Because it's the fans that pick the team isn't it. I suspect LJ is intelligent enough to form his own opinions and act on them.

So actually, it was proven to be right decision to keep him.

Fans won the games, not LJ's selection and tactics ;)

This is Barnsley after all, apparently home of the mega superfan

21 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Good post. Surely all of us would have done the same as LJ right?. He obviously learned from his mistakes at barnsley, like Pulis did for example.

Archived