IGNORED

Why don't we turn up in the 1st half ?

Vincent Vega

5 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

But surely we  are better off having a go at 0-0 than waiting to be 1-0 down as seems to be the case for us.

Quite.  And at some point this season our first half performance (lack of) will eventually see a team out of sight by half time leaving the second half performance irrelevant. 

8 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

But surely we  are better off having a go at 0-0 than waiting to be 1-0 down as seems to be the case for us.

We do have a go....but don't open teams up. In fact against Newcastle we looked far more dangerous at 0-0 than 0-1. Can't go all out in this league as teams will just open you up on the break.

2 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Under Cotts we used to go for it at the start, just depends on the coach I guess, but this is a step up, and with the likes of Tomlin and Tammy we can open up teams when they tire.

GoIng for it at the start could be like sprinting at the beginning of a marathon.

I believe LJ wants us to keep in the match for longer to give us a chance whereas before , the game was lost by our naivety. 

27 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Under Cotts we used to go for it at the start, just depends on the coach I guess, but this is a step up, and with the likes of Tomlin and Tammy we can open up teams when they tire.

Maybe Cotts and LJ could do a job share where Cotts manages the first half and LJ manages the second although that leaves us still really susceptible to letting in late equalisers etc.

Which gives me an idea for a open discussion  on...

Which City manager over the years would you have manage which stage of the match? I know that this obviously doesn't work in practice but for a bit of post match fun with no mid-week game. I.e./e.g. Which manager had City had getting at them off the blocks? Which manager would give best HT team talk from all account? Which manager was best at getting his team to see out a result or get team pumped up and managed to score late on? Which manager had them playing better football for longer periods? And of course maybe we've had a manager that did many of these and had a successful team over time. e.g . Alan Dicks. 

And of course we might think of the worst combination of managers to manage 90 mins of the Robins! 

Going to work on mine...in the meantime...

Your thoughts are welcome...

36 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Or does he just pick the wrong side? He has done that more than once, in my opinion of course.

It's not so much that he picks the wrong side, but I do think that LJ is more inclined to pick a team designed to counter the opposition's strengths rather than one that plays to ours.

I think this tends to cause us to be on the back foot from the off, because with this outlook we will always be tending to be reacting to the opposition tactics and play rather than imposing ours on them. As then so often happens and we go behind  give him credit in that he has proved very adept at making changes that do affect games , but is this because we then start to play to our strengths and give the opposition something to think about?

Whatever, we are in the play off position despite having played relatively poorly since the international break, so in some ways you have to say that LJ's tactics have been proven correct. However, we proved that we are  match for most teams in this division, so if we set out more positively from kick off, might we be able to dominate from the outset and give ourselves a healthy lead for once and avoid the need for second half changes because we have to get back into games 

Having said that when we had a 2 goal lead against  the Wendys we threw that away, so perhaps LJ has decided his approach is the better one!

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

It's not so much that he picks the wrong side, but I do think that LJ is more inclined to pick a team designed to counter the opposition's strengths rather than one that plays to ours.

I think this tends to cause us to be on the back foot from the off, because with this outlook we will always be tending to be reacting to the opposition tactics and play rather than imposing ours on them. As then so often happens and we go behind  give him credit in that he has proved very adept at making changes that do affect games , but is this because we then start to play to our strengths and give the opposition something to think about?

Whatever, we are in the play off position despite having played relatively poorly since the international break, so in some ways you have to say that LJ's tactics have been proven correct. However, we proved that we are  match for most teams in this division, so if we set out more positively from kick off, might we be able to dominate from the outset and give ourselves a healthy lead for once and avoid the need for second half changes because we have to get back into games 

Having said that when we had a 2 goal lead against  the Wendys we threw that away, so perhaps LJ has decided his approach is the better one!

I agree with this. I think LJ likes to match up to teams in a way. Not let them play their game from the start and steadily impose our will on teams. Problem is we concede before we can do this. I'd rather us play our game from the off. Probably no simple answer though. Seem to be grinding out results regardless

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

I think this tends to cause us to be on the back foot from the off, because with this outlook we will always be tending to be reacting to the opposition tactics and play rather than imposing ours on them. As then so often happens and we go behind  

That's the wrong side then!

LJ should pick a side with the intention of putting the opposition on the back foot, especially at home.

We don't seem to attack from the off and seem to want to shadow box with the opposition - at a recent home match we won a throw in near the the opposition goal after about 15 seconds and rather than let Hordur hurl one in, LJ instructed Flint etc not to go upfield and we played a short throw in and it was cleared without causing a problem.

Couldn't understand and still don't why it was a bad idea not to take a long throw and cause a bit of mayhem in their penalty area early on.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

The great advantage we have, is no team is going to have a clue what they are up against.

If you send a scout to watch us play, and they file a match report, it's going to be pretty useless, as we change so frequently.

Granted, they would be able to report individual pro's and con's, and elements of play that we play regularly.

But if you were Barnsley, no way would you have thought that we'd be playing two up front yesterday.

Our Squad rotation works to our advantage. As no team knows what they are going to be facing.

This is why we are doing so well imo. Because we regularly change players, and do so also during games. Variation is our advantage.

Take SC for example...teams knew exactly how we would play, pretty much who would be playing and that it was likely to never change during a game. They knew exactly how to counteract against us...managers even came out and said so.

I'm glad we are doing it this way...it plays to our strengths...the unkown quantity.

This is why we are sixth and doing bloody well imo.

41 minutes ago, spudski said:

The great advantage we have, is no team is going to have a clue what they are up against.

If you send a scout to watch us play, and they file a match report, it's going to be pretty useless, as we change so frequently.

Granted, they would be able to report individual pro's and con's, and elements of play that we play regularly.

But if you were Barnsley, no way would you have thought that we'd be playing two up front yesterday.

Our Squad rotation works to our advantage. As no team knows what they are going to be facing.

This is why we are doing so well imo. Because we regularly change players, and do so also during games. Variation is our advantage.

Take SC for example...teams knew exactly how we would play, pretty much who would be playing and that it was likely to never change during a game. They knew exactly how to counteract against us...managers even came out and said so.

I'm glad we are doing it this way...it plays to our strengths...the unkown quantity.

Had not even thought of that. Interesting and could well be the key to some extent of our success.

Spudski, what's you take our very strong home form (WWW) and rather indifferent away form (LLD) ?

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

GoIng for it at the start could be like sprinting at the beginning of a marathon.

I believe LJ wants us to keep in the match for longer to give us a chance whereas before , the game was lost by our naivety. 

The 'pressing' game is all about high energy from the start, Liverpool are the must have exponents of this, cant see why we can't do this, especially as we have no Champions League fixtures, or now the EL Cup to worry about. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Ahh I see a cunning plan then?

1 hour ago, Robin101 said:

Had not even thought of that. Interesting and could well be the key to some extent of our success.

Spudski, what's you take our very strong home form (WWW) and rather indifferent away form (LLD) ?

Swings and roundabouts mate...I wouldn't look to much into it tbh. Our results have been so close, games could have gone either way. We haven't battered anyone, and no one has battered us.

You look at the league and it's pretty much the same for all teams.

I really do believe it is to our advantage, that we do squad rotate. It does give us an element of surprise and no team playing us can predict how we will set up and with which players.

We have to find ways to compete at this level. We don't necessarily have the experience and quality of some teams...but we do have other attributes that we use to our advantage. This is one of them imo.

Don't believe LJ  has picked the right team /formation for any home game this season . Our first half performances at home have often been dire with few chances  and hardly any shots on target .We have failed to score in the first half at Ashton Gate this season.  This is an appalling statistic and must surely change if we want to remain in contention for the play offs. Lost count of the times in these games ,a high ball is played to an isolated Tammy ,surrounded  by experienced tall defenders and we gift possession to the other side

Sure LJ makes the changes at half time and we invariably play at lot better with a more attacking formation but it would be great to pick a side that plays well from the start and does not allow the opposition to dictate play. Love to have a half time drink with us at least a goal  up,  looking  forward to more chances in the second half goals as space opens up as the opposition  commit men forward to rescue the game.

2 up front please for all home matches ,starting Saturday  against Brighton with Engvall and Tammy causing all kinds of problems. Wilbs to come on last 30 if necessary as substitute or make an even more attacking threat if needed.

4 minutes ago, Marlborough Red said:

Don't believe LJ  has picked the right team /formation for any home game this season .

Blimey...must be doing something right though, won 5, drawn 1, lost 1...up there with the best in the league...where we sit in 6th place.

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

We should be alright now.

Since the clocks have gone back an hour, games will kick off at the time the second half would have been starting previously! 

:whistle:

That`s all well and good but have you thought what will happen next April when we`re fighting for top spot and the clocks go forward again?

Reckon we were going for it from the start yesterday   with 2 up top away from home  first time this season !   just didn't work out on the day that's all ,    on a side note  surprised Wilbs was left on for 90 mins   , I thought he could have had his 60 mins and then give Engvall another run out ,  along side  Tammy

52 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

That`s all well and good but have you thought what will happen next April when we`re fighting for top spot and the clocks go forward again?

We'll be so far ahead at the top of the table that no one can catch us by then!

Archived