IGNORED

Forest Green Rovers New Stadium

Unan

15 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Rovers soon to be the 3rd biggest team in the South West.. 

Carbon neutral, entirely made of wood (sounds safe..?!) part of a 100 acre Eco site, designs submitted from 50 countries....

Impressive stuff, but what's the capacity..?! 

I'm a regular at FGR's... I actually enjoy the match day experience, far more there, than I do at City.

I'm no hippie, but I really do admire what Dale Vince is doing there.

Going 'Green' has actually made the quality at the Club so much better than any league ground I've visited.

The new stadium looks amazing and is only 7 miles away from the present ground. A proposed 4000 new jobs for the area too.

I went last Saturday as it happens...paid my £9...half price to all Football League season ticket holders...went up to the Carol Embry suite...anyone can, where I drank local Stroud Ale in a proper pint glass and ate some proper 'home cooked' food ( don't knock the Vegan, it's delicious, and i'm a confirmed meat eater ), at a table with white linen table cloth and proper cutlery. All in front of a big screen showing live football...with windows looking out onto the pitch giving a panoramic view. As kick off time arrived, instead of taking my seat in the main stand, I wandered along to the black and white bar, and sat on a bar stool overlooking the ground, sipping a drink, behind glass and in the warm, with the door open onto the terrace to hear all the match day atmosphere. Two large flat screens playing Sky sports, so getting all the game news as well...A bit like having your own box...where else can you do that for £9?

Standard of football is good...decent crowd, 2600, and some good banter...best chant being...' You're just a cheap Tesco Sandwich' to D&R's GK Elliot Justham...Brilliant :laugh:

Can recommend all fans to get along when city aren't playing...it's how football should be imo...affordable, treated like human beings, and not fobbed off with overpriced poor quality food and drink. Plus, you can sit behind glass, sit in a stand, or stand on some terracing...you take your choice all for the same price. Cooper also has them playing some decent football...on the ground with quick passing.

Realise City have made huge improvements in many areas, but it's not a patch on FGR's in my book. Obviously catering for a smaller crowd helps the situation...my only reservations are if FGR's make it into the League...Restrictions may have to come into play and spoil everything.

Some pics from last Saturday :-)

WP_20161029_16_20_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20161029_16_20_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20161029_16_22_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20161029_16_38_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20161029_16_38_55_Pro.jpg

Looks smart. Are you allowed to build stands/grounds from wood anymore.. genuine question? I thought after Bradford regulations came in that generally most wooden stands were closed down or was it they were subjected to much more rigorous checks?

2 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Looks smart. Are you allowed to build stands/grounds from wood anymore.. genuine question? I thought after Bradford regulations came in that generally most wooden stands were closed down or was it they were subjected to much more rigorous checks?

I can't see them agreeing to a design, and submitting it for planning without knowing that already...can you? Especially considering what Ecotricity do...

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I can't see them agreeing to a design, and submitting it for planning without knowing that already...can you? Especially considering what Ecotricity do...

I can't but then I was just reading into the Popplewell Inquiry which followed the terrible events at Bradford and this part of it:

The inquiry into the disaster, chaired by Sir Oliver Popplewell and known as the Popplewell Inquiry, led to the introduction of new legislation to improve safety at the UK's football grounds. Among the main outcomes of the inquiry were the banning of new wooden grandstands at all UK sports grounds, the immediate closure of other wooden stands deemed unsafe and the banning of smoking in other wooden stands.

3 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I can't but then I was just readingin to the Popplewell Inquiry which followed the terrible events at Bradford and this part of it:

The inquiry into the disaster, chaired by Sir Oliver Popplewell and known as the Popplewell Inquiry, led to the introduction of new legislation to improve safety at the UK's football grounds. Among the main outcomes of the inquiry were the banning of new wooden grandstands at all UK sports grounds, the immediate closure of other wooden stands deemed unsafe and the banning of smoking in other wooden stands.

They must have changed or got round it somehow I'm guessing.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

They must have changed or got round it somehow I'm guessing.

Possibly the smoking ban in stadiums in part makes a lot safer. I'm still slightly intreged. I will have to look at the planning appilcation when it goes in!

37 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm a regular at FGR's... I actually enjoy the match day experience, far more there, than I do at City.

I'm no hippie, but I really do admire what Dale Vince is doing there.

Going 'Green' has actually made the quality at the Club so much better than any league ground I've visited.

The new stadium looks amazing and is only 7 miles away from the present ground. A proposed 4000 new jobs for the area too.

I went last Saturday as it happens...paid my £9...half price to all Football League season ticket holders...went up to the Carol Embry suite...anyone can, where I drank local Stroud Ale in a proper pint glass and ate some proper 'home cooked' food ( don't knock the Vegan, it's delicious, and i'm a confirmed meat eater ), at a table with white linen table cloth and proper cutlery. All in front of a big screen showing live football...with windows looking out onto the pitch giving a panoramic view. As kick off time arrived, instead of taking my seat in the main stand, I wandered along to the black and white bar, and sat on a bar stool overlooking the ground, sipping a drink, behind glass and in the warm, with the door open onto the terrace to hear all the match day atmosphere. Two large flat screens playing Sky sports, so getting all the game news as well...A bit like having your own box...where else can you do that for £9?

Standard of football is good...decent crowd, 2600, and some good banter...best chant being...' You're just a cheap Tesco Sandwich' to D&R's GK Elliot Justham...Brilliant :laugh:

Can recommend all fans to get along when city aren't playing...it's how football should be imo...affordable, treated like human beings, and not fobbed off with overpriced poor quality food and drink. Plus, you can sit behind glass, sit in a stand, or stand on some terracing...you take your choice all for the same price. Cooper also has them playing some decent football...on the ground with quick passing.

Realise City have made huge improvements in many areas, but it's not a patch on FGR's in my book. Obviously catering for a smaller crowd helps the situation...my only reservations are if FGR's make it into the League...Restrictions may have to come into play and spoil everything.

Some pics from last Saturday :-)

That's the issue, football has had the fun regulated out of it by general and specific restrictions, planning, health and safety. 

22 minutes ago, cynic said:

I would think they would use timber which has had a fire retardent treatment, much like timber housing.

If you can build timber houses, I don't see why a timber football stand can't be built.

Incidentally, on another theme, I thought it was against regulations to drink alcohol in view of the pitch - why can they do that at FGR ?

They do ask you to finish up any alcoholic drink as it kicks off...during the game you have to drink non alcoholic beverages. Doesn't bother me...prefer to have a drink before the game, then concentrate for 90 mins, then enjoy a pint after the game.

Having watched Rugby and Cricket, it's nice to have the choice, but it's bloody annoying when everyone is getting up and down all the time.

I'm actually happy alcohol is banned during the game. If I could change it, I would allow a drink to be taken in with you first half and second half, but not allowed to get up for another during the game. Two pints over 90 mins is plenty imo.

5 minutes ago, Fiale said:

That's the issue, football has had the fun regulated out of it by general and specific restrictions, planning, health and safety. 

Totally agree...but it's in place because of a minority of idiots.

7 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I'm no expert, but I would imagine the standard of fireproofing has come a long way since the Bradford fire. Wasn't the stand an Archibald Leitch one? That would signify how antiquated it was.

It has - as has safe standing - however that's not stopped dragconian rules hold the later back. Genuinely interested to see if this has been overuled since.  I think the alchol rule is also farcile and really needs scrapping..

3 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

It has - as has safe standing - however that's not stopped dragconian rules hold the later back. Genuinely interested to see if this has been overuled since.  I think the alchol rule is also farcile and really needs scrapping..

Here you go fella... http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/would-forest-green-s-proposed-stadium-made-from-wood-be-safe/story-29866148-detail/story.html

I think it looks really smart if a bit small, but I guess it suits their needs. Maybe they have kept the capacity low deliberately, makes it intimate...and they don't want the Squatters sniffing around do they hoping for a groundshare.

Good luck to them, let the race to build begin!

Archived