IGNORED

Forest Green Rovers New Stadium

Unan

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I think it looks really smart if a bit small, but I guess it suits their needs. Maybe they have kept the capacity low deliberately, makes it intimate...and they don't want the Squatters sniffing around do they hoping for a groundshare.

Good luck to them, let the race to build begin!

Bit small? They barely took that number to Wembley.

No need to plan for anything bigger, they have virtually no support.

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bit small? They barely took that number to Wembley.

No need to plan for anything bigger, they have virtually no support.

But if they do realise their dream and get promoted, who knows? Also might need a bit more room for some away fans. 

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

The report says there is scope for a second phase to increase capacity from 5000 to 10000.

That would make it sustainable then, and that's what's he's all about isn't it. Expand rather than start all over. 

Im not even sure where Forest Green is exactly, although it's fairly local I don't know that part of the world at all. Would it be a good venue for other events, concerts etc. What else is local, not much I doubt?

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

That would make it sustainable then, and that's what's he's all about isn't it. Expand rather than start all over. 

Im not even sure where Forest Green is exactly, although it's fairly local I don't know that part of the world at all. Would it be a good venue for other events, concerts etc. What else is local, not much I doubt?

Forest Green is a hamlet at the top of Nailsworth, on the the way to Nympsfield.

The new stadium would be adjacent to J13, would say its about 7 miles away from where they are now. 

22 minutes ago, RedM said:

But if they do realise their dream and get promoted, who knows? Also might need a bit more room for some away fans. 

I think they actually only took 4000 to Wembley.

If people could not even be arsed to support them when they were potentially just one game away from the football league, where is there logic that they would suddenly start to go to see the likes of Hartlepool or Accrington in January?

Fleetwood apparently brought 41 fans to R*vers midweek, quite a few sides in L2 are equally poorly supported. If Argyle and Pompey go up (highly likely) there aren't many large clubs in that division.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3902254/Forest-Green-set-WOODEN-stadium-non-League-club-choose-Olympic-World-Cup-architects-build-new-eco-friendly-ground.html?ITO=1490

Can easily see FGR's getting 4000 at the newly proposed Stadium if they go up.

Where the stadium is right now, is a complete ball ache for parking. I'm sure everyone would like the Stadium to stay in Nailsworth, but there is no sustainable option locally.

As for how many went to Wembley...it wasn't anything to do with 'can't be arsed'...it was price and date of game that influenced many, who already had other plans arranged.

You only have to read their forum to get an understanding of why...and to hear it from people at the ground.

Where the new stadium is planned, next to Jnctn 13, is great for access and proposed new roads. Plus it will have a slightly bigger catchment area.

On a footballing front...I can see them being the next Fleetwood or MK Dons. They'll overtake the Gas and Swindon eventually in the league structure imo.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3902254/Forest-Green-set-WOODEN-stadium-non-League-club-choose-Olympic-World-Cup-architects-build-new-eco-friendly-ground.html?ITO=1490

Where the stadium is right now, is a complete ball ache for parking. I'm sure everyone would like the Stadium to stay in Nailsworth, but there is no sustainable option locally.

As for how many went to Wembley...it wasn't anything to do with 'can't be arsed'...it was price and date of game that influenced many, who already had other plans arranged.

You only have to read their forum to get an understanding of why...and to hear it from people at the ground.

Where the new stadium is planned, next to Jnctn 13, is great for access and proposed new roads. Plus it will have a slightly bigger catchment area.

On a footballing front...I can see them being the next Fleetwood or MK Dons. They'll overtake the Gas and Swindon eventually in the league structure imo.

More J12 I thought?

7 hours ago, phantom said:

IF they get their planning permission that is

Amazing how many grounds one team can own in such a short space of time !

Mind you this one looks a bit odd - but knowing about their Chairman, many we shouldn't be surpised?

New FGR stadium

New FGR stadium

Glenn Howells Architects design for Forest Green Rovers' stadium

Don't understand - the third pic is clearly a different design to first pic?

• Admin
15 hours ago, spudski said:

They'll overtake the Gas and Swindon eventually in the league structure imo.

Not being argumentative, but where do you think these extra people are going to come from? If they can't get people to support them at Wembley, they have a massive uphill task trying to get them to invest over a longer period of time.

Like ANY final at Wembley there isn't too much notice, but their supporters would have known when the final was - can't believe so many just happened to not be able to attend?

Can't believe for a second that they will overtake Rovers or Swindon - though on a personal note would be amusing

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Not being argumentative, but where do you think these extra people are going to come from? If they can't get people to support them at Wembley, they have a massive uphill task trying to get them to invest over a longer period of time.

Like ANY final at Wembley there isn't too much notice, but their supporters would have known when the final was - can't believe so many just happened to not be able to attend?

Can't believe for a second that they will overtake Rovers or Swindon - though on a personal note would be amusing

There could be a market for them amongst the middle class types that wouldn't normally go to a football match (and upset many traditional fans when they do).

With so few existing supporters to alienate they could focus on creating a totally sanitised family-friendly atmosphere that would attract a whole new set of people.

I've no idea whether such a plan would actually work or not but it's probably worth their while trying something different. They won't be able to grow via the traditional routes if they just plonk a stadium in the middle of some fields, and they can't grow much where they are, so their options are either trying something a bit different or going back to being a tiny club at the bottom end of the Conference.

Personally I'm torn over it. The traditionalist in me is saddened by the idea of the club moving from Forest Green, but the realist in me knows that the world doesn't stand still and everything good was new at some point.

@phantom I think @BCFC_Dan has a very good point....and is something along the lines I'm thinking.

If you go to FGR's, you will see your 'average' football fan...but you also see a lot of people, that you were more likely to see at the cricket or rugby if you get my drift.

It does feel slightly different there...I do believe because of the way the club runs, and the 'alternative' feeling you have there, that it will attract a whole new element of fan base to what is traditional.

The work they do with local kids is amazing...and you see many families coming along, that have obviously come along because of their children.

Archived