IGNORED

Forest Green Rovers New Stadium

Unan

• Admin
33 minutes ago, spudski said:

@phantom I think @BCFC_Dan has a very good point....and is something along the lines I'm thinking.

If you go to FGR's, you will see your 'average' football fan...but you also see a lot of people, that you were more likely to see at the cricket or rugby if you get my drift.

It does feel slightly different there...I do believe because of the way the club runs, and the 'alternative' feeling you have there, that it will attract a whole new element of fan base to what is traditional.

Makes sense, but as someone who has spent many an hour watching and being around WSM FC know where you are coming from on the different feel, but would assume that will change the higher they get up the ladder

I went to a meeting at FGR recently where we told a bit about the stadium and the company. The facilities and food are first class despite all the vegan put downs etc.

The new ground will be supplemented by park and ride schemes/electric bike parking and they hope to entice a new as well as existing catchment area. I think a few housing developments are planned both in the design and around the area. Dale wants to create a green development consisting of houses and office buildings as well as the stadium being green. The company are moving away from wind turbines as they can't get planning permission anywhere so are focusing on bio gas from farming and providing electricity for the growing network of electric cars. Mobile phones are where they want to get into next.

I was never his biggest fan but he definitely puts his money where his mouth is and reinvests a lot of money both in FGR and Stroud which can only be a good thing for the area and for the football side.

5 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

Can't be very green and ecologically friendly to cut a forest down to build a stadium. got to process all the wood, ship it to the site and construct. Carbon footprint must be massive. 

Sustainable though, that`s what it`s all about. Knowing Mr Vince, he can provide all the figures to show it is.

5 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

Can't be very green and ecologically friendly to cut a forest down to build a stadium. got to process all the wood, ship it to the site and construct. Carbon footprint must be massive. 

Carbon capture though, plus they will replant so the forest is sustainable. Often wonder why we do not build more in wood if we want to cut CO2 levels.

8 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

Not compared to mining metals and making steel. And you can replace a forest, you can't replace iron ore extracted from the ground.

11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Not compared to mining metals and making steel. And you can replace a forest, you can't replace iron ore extracted from the ground.

Yes I understand trees can be replaced but I am looking at the whole picture of the build. To every nut, bolt and nail, to transport all the materials to the site, all the workers in their diesel vans, the heavy machinery to move the tonnes of soil, tonnes of stone to put down and then a concrete base. It wouldn't surprise me if they have to use steel in some of the build to hold the roof up. Even if it is clad in wood. All the fire proof chemicals to make it fire resistant. The list is endless, so it is not really  economically friendly if you think about it

5 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

Yes I understand trees can be replaced but I am looking at the whole picture of the build. To every nut, bolt and nail, to transport all the materials to the site, all the workers in their diesel vans, the heavy machinery to move the tonnes of soil, tonnes of stone to put down and then a concrete base. It wouldn't surprise me if they have to use steel in some of the build to hold the roof up. Even if it is clad in wood. All the fire proof chemicals to make it fire resistant. The list is endless, so it is not really  economically friendly if you think about it

It's not environmentally friendly compared to not building a stadium at all, no. But if you're going to do it, this is probably a slightly better way of doing it compared to your usual steel structure.

On 03/11/2016 at 16:09, spudski said:

I'm a regular at FGR's... I actually enjoy the match day experience, far more there, than I do at City.

I'm no hippie, but I really do admire what Dale Vince is doing there.

Going 'Green' has actually made the quality at the Club so much better than any league ground I've visited.

The new stadium looks amazing and is only 7 miles away from the present ground. A proposed 4000 new jobs for the area too.

I went last Saturday as it happens...paid my £9...half price to all Football League season ticket holders...went up to the Carol Embry suite...anyone can, where I drank local Stroud Ale in a proper pint glass and ate some proper 'home cooked' food ( don't knock the Vegan, it's delicious, and i'm a confirmed meat eater ), at a table with white linen table cloth and proper cutlery. All in front of a big screen showing live football...with windows looking out onto the pitch giving a panoramic view. As kick off time arrived, instead of taking my seat in the main stand, I wandered along to the black and white bar, and sat on a bar stool overlooking the ground, sipping a drink, behind glass and in the warm, with the door open onto the terrace to hear all the match day atmosphere. Two large flat screens playing Sky sports, so getting all the game news as well...A bit like having your own box...where else can you do that for £9?

Standard of football is good...decent crowd, 2600, and some good banter...best chant being...' You're just a cheap Tesco Sandwich' to D&R's GK Elliot Justham...Brilliant :laugh:

Can recommend all fans to get along when city aren't playing...it's how football should be imo...affordable, treated like human beings, and not fobbed off with overpriced poor quality food and drink. Plus, you can sit behind glass, sit in a stand, or stand on some terracing...you take your choice all for the same price. Cooper also has them playing some decent football...on the ground with quick passing.

Realise City have made huge improvements in many areas, but it's not a patch on FGR's in my book. Obviously catering for a smaller crowd helps the situation...my only reservations are if FGR's make it into the League...Restrictions may have to come into play and spoil everything.

Some pics from last Saturday :-)

WP_20161029_16_20_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20161029_16_20_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20161029_16_22_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20161029_16_38_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20161029_16_38_55_Pro.jpg

You lost me at Vegan...

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 12:19, OddBallJim said:

You lost me at Vegan...

Well I've been a meat eater all my life, but this month I'm going to try and cut out meat, dairy and wheat. Purely for health reasons...just to see whether it will make any difference to a few niggles I've had.

After trying the food and drink at FGR's....it has definitely encouraged me, rather than put me off having a go, as it's so tasty.

Nothing ventured.......

Worth looking at what's on offer for all fans...this is a normal matchday experience...not hospitality.

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

Well I've been a meat eater all my life, but this month I'm going to try and cut out meat, dairy and wheat. Purely for health reasons...just to see whether it will make any difference to a few niggles I've had.

After trying the food and drink at FGR's....it has definitely encouraged me, rather than put me off having a go, as it's so tasty.

Nothing ventured.......

Worth looking at what's on offer for all fans...this is a normal matchday experience...not hospitality.

Got nothing against Veganism per-say but where I take issue is the owner impressing his own personal lifestyle choices on the paying crowd. If I wish to eat something with meat in at a football ground (and lets face it, the meat pie or pasty is a football ground tradition), I should have the choice to do so. Just like how vegetarians/vegans should have the choice to be able to eat something that doesn't.

9 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Got nothing against Veganism per-say but where I take issue is the owner impressing his own personal lifestyle choices on the paying crowd. If I wish to eat something with meat in at a football ground (and lets face it, the meat pie or pasty is a football ground tradition), I should have the choice to do so. Just like how vegetarians/vegans should have the choice to be able to eat something that doesn't.

I see what your saying, and I had the same reservations. However...after speaking to fans who have bought pies there, they have all said they were much better than what you normally get at a football ground. If they advertised the pies and pasties as just that...and not 'meat pie'...then no one would know any difference.

I've not heard one gripe from any of the fans there tbh.

In fact, they've all said the quality is far better.

You pay your money...you make your choice.

As far as I know, they don't stop you from bringing your own food in with you. Open to correction on that.

However...I see your gripe.

But I do think he's doing a brilliant project there, that can only benefit everyone.

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

I see what your saying, and I had the same reservations. However...after speaking to fans who have bought pies there, they have all said they were much better than what you normally get at a football ground. If they advertised the pies and pasties as just that...and not 'meat pie'...then no one would know any difference.

I've not heard one gripe from any of the fans there tbh.

In fact, they've all said the quality is far better.

You pay your money...you make your choice.

As far as I know, they don't stop you from bringing your own food in with you. Open to correction on that.

However...I see your gripe.

But I do think he's doing a brilliant project there, that can only benefit everyone.

I don't like vegetables or fruit so don't eat them! 

Would I be able to smuggle a steak and kidney in?

31 minutes ago, Manon said:

This is all wrong. FGR is Nailsworth.

This would be akin to City moving to Gordano.  

It's not quite the same. Nailsworth is a small town with a club on the verge of the football league - population only 6000! It doesn't have the infrastructure to be able to support crowds of 1000s, so they have little choice but to move it out of town. And being in a valley there isn't much option but to move a bit further afield. If you insist on staying in Nailsworth then you limit the ambition. Hardly an MK Dons situation.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

The key to what mate?

Getting rid of the creaky body niggles. Tried a number of different things over the years and found that it was the carbs that seem to cause the most problems for me. Feel much better eating fewer than 50g a day of them, though most people simply cannot cope without their bread, pasta, sweets etc

2 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Getting rid of the creaky body niggles. Tried a number of different things over the years and found that it was the carbs that seem to cause the most problems for me. Feel much better eating fewer than 50g a day of them, though most people simply cannot cope without their bread, pasta, sweets etc

Ah right...with you now ;-) And I agree...have cut down on Carbs and processed food. It also helps with me.

• Admin
15 hours ago, Manon said:

This is all wrong. FGR is Nailsworth.

This would be akin to City moving to Gordano.  

14 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It's not quite the same. Nailsworth is a small town with a club on the verge of the football league - population only 6000! It doesn't have the infrastructure to be able to support crowds of 1000s, so they have little choice but to move it out of town. And being in a valley there isn't much option but to move a bit further afield. If you insist on staying in Nailsworth then you limit the ambition. Hardly an MK Dons situation.

But don't forget they have been Stroud too recently.

Wouldn't agree that you can move a team / ground just because your area is not big enough, live within your mean. Where would it stop if teams claimed they could get better crowds if they moved their grounds etc?

One consolation if this does all go through at least Shortwood Utd can tap into any support that don't want to move with them

Capture.PNG

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

But don't forget they have been Stroud too recently.

Wouldn't agree that you can move a team / ground just because your area is not big enough, live within your mean. Where would it stop if teams claimed they could get better crowds if they moved their grounds etc?

One consolation if this does all go through at least Shortwood Utd can tap into any support that don't want to move with them

Capture.PNG

When they called themselves Stroud FC, they were still playing in Nailsworth, at the "old" Lawn.

Exactly this .  

Ambition is great , but not at all cost . It isn't the be all and end all . The club is the club, it is the fans the people and most importantly - the place. It is Forest Green, part of Nailsworth. You do not disregard that in favour of ambition or achieving momentary success . Football Clubs are like stocks - they go up,  they come back down. FGR have an inherent limit to their size,  based on their geography .  Edging closer to Gloucester is not the answer .  Enjoy the success while you punch above your weight , and accept that at some point there will be a ceiling. 

As someone who lived within sight of The Lawn , and played there a couple of times , I think it will be a big loss for the town . 

3 hours ago, Manon said:

Exactly this .  

Ambition is great , but not at all cost . It isn't the be all and end all . The club is the club, it is the fans the people and most importantly - the place. It is Forest Green, part of Nailsworth. You do not disregard that in favour of ambition or achieving momentary success . Football Clubs are like stocks - they go up,  they come back down. FGR have an inherent limit to their size,  based on their geography .  Edging closer to Gloucester is not the answer .  Enjoy the success while you punch above your weight , and accept that at some point there will be a ceiling. 

As someone who lived within sight of The Lawn , and played there a couple of times , I think it will be a big loss for the town . 

If they were moving many miles away I'd agree.  But they're not - it's a short distance and not one that will prevent any existing fan from attending.  Why should they have to accept a ceiling?  Would you have been willing to accept our ceiling if we hadn't been able to redevelop Ashton Gate?  No one was willing to accept the ceiling the nimbies imposed on us by blocking Ashton Vale!  Why is moving a few miles towards Gloucester not the answer?  I dare say most FGR fans would be willing to accept a move a few miles down the road if it enables the club to grow and progress.  I absolutely agree that ambition should not be "at all costs".  But when a club is considering shifting a short distance that has minimal impact on the existing fan base, is that really "at all cost"?  In this instance I'd say the benefits outweigh the losses.

Archived