IGNORED

Price of Football

Bristol Rob

Interesting work have a event tomorrow when we hold many 45 minute talks throughout the day. 

One of these that I'm attending is called "the good of the game" and is with the founder of Ball Street discussing can football be good and how can the wrongs of the game be righted. Shall be interesting and very timely with this report out tonight!

• £2.50 is the most expensive cup of tea and five clubs charge it - Liverpool, Manchester United, Bristol City, Fulham and Rangers

@Mkelly

Surprised that the survey doesn't make reference to the member and season ticket plus/dual discounts, but does make reference to the under 25s ticket.

That said, two and a half quid for a brew....

31 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:
  • £2.50 is the most expensive cup of tea and five clubs charge it - Liverpool, Manchester United, Bristol City, Fulham and Rangers

@Mkelly

Surprised that the survey doesn't make reference to the member and season ticket plus/dual discounts, but does make reference to the under 25s ticket.

That said, two and a half quid for a brew....

I'd love to hear someone from the club try and justify that.

Not gonna make a fuss over something that isn't really an issue but surely there's no logic behind £2.50 for some water in a cup

28 minutes ago, Robin 101 said:

Not gonna make a fuss over something that isn't really an issue but surely there's no logic behind £2.50 for some water in a cup

Wrapped up in meal deals various, I would have thought a season ticket holder can get a cup of tea for less, but to avoid being a negative headline surely it makes sense to come in just under the top price.

4 hours ago, Robin 101 said:

You need to learn how to make a cup of tea, mate..! 

A bit sensationalist really. Whilst im no fan of high prices, like anyone, the reality is we're probably only marginally ahead of most other clubs in the EFL. If it were £2.40 we probably wouldn't be mentioned (let's not forget that it's £2.13 with a season ticket which I'd wager is comfortably within the average range). 

First and foremost, ticket prices (seasons tickets especially) are the key to a new generation of fans. A full stadium is good news for the club and good news for fans. You don't fill a stadium and find another 10k fans by selling cheap tea, you need to get the community focus right and price season tickets well to ensure sustained entrapment support. 

It's also annoying seeing people constantly talk like these things are free to provide. Anyone know how many catering staff are in force on a match day? I don't but it's a lot. To compare the cost to boiling your own kettle is a bit daft. There are significant overheads associated with catering at events, even on the most basic level (bit of water poured into a cup). 

Everyone wanted more kiosks, more staff to work at those kiosks, more food choice, better food etc etc. Why would/should the club subsidise it? It's an add on item, in a captive environment  

Much like the people who compare the cost of a beer in the Sports Bar to the cost of a bottle out of a multipack at Tesco....how is that comparison relevant? 

Let's try and focus on what the club are doing well, and according to the report, season ticket prices reflect pretty favourably on us considering the amount of capital investment that's been made at the club in recent years. 

In real terms my season ticket is now cheaper than in the 07/08 season. And to do that whilst supporting the level of investment in the squad and stadium I think is damn good. 

7 hours ago, Be ashamed said:

1 litre of petrol costs in UK   about  1 pound 15 pence

1 cup of tea in UK ( about 250 ml ) costs  2 pounds fifty pence

Do you have a tea shortage over there . Is there a thriving black market for black tea?

Have Tory politicians invested heavily in tea?

We use petrol not water in our tea.

while we are reasonable compared to other clubs (god damn that tea better be the best in the world), its still far to expensive,

Prem clubs should charge no more them £35, championship no more the £20 league 1 no more then £15 and league 2 no more then £10,

but until wages are capped that will not happen, the wage structure should be like the american model where you can have 2 or 3 "mvp's" and the rest capped,

14 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

while we are reasonable compared to other clubs (god damn that tea better be the best in the world), its still far to expensive,

Prem clubs should charge no more them £35, championship no more the £20 league 1 no more then £15 and league 2 no more then £10,

but until wages are capped that will not happen, the wage structure should be like the american model where you can have 2 or 3 "mvp's" and the rest capped,

The wages will NEVER be capped.  

55 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Whilst no doubt the club make a reasonable margin on catering, shirts etc. you're not able to say it's too expensive unless you know the cost ;) 

Your 'a club at this level should charge this' is massively simplistic. You could take two clubs at the same level and they'll have considerably different overheads to recover through match day pricing.  

A football club is a business at the end of the day. They sell things for more than they cost and that's how they make money. 

I imagine the margins on a lot of products you routinely use and buy without a second thought are a lot higher than a cup of Ashton Gate tea. 

17 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Doing a very simplistic total cost per club calculation, we fair quite well......

Untitled.png

2% cheaper than average by my maths. With huge investment in the squad and a brand new stadium. 

And still the moaners do what the moaners do....

Look at the teams below us in that list and most are the teams people fancy to struggle. 

All things considered I think we've got most aspects just right. Especially when you add in 15% ST discount would take £20-£40 off your annual bill depending how many pies, shirts and cups of tea you buy!

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

2% cheaper than average by my maths. With huge investment in the squad and a brand new stadium. 

And still the moaners do what the moaners do....

Look at the teams below us in that list and most are the teams people fancy to struggle. 

All things considered I think we've got most aspects just right. Especially when you add in 15% ST discount would take £20-£40 off your annual bill depending how many pies, shirts and cups of tea you buy!

This.

A few things they could do slightly better, and avoiding being a negative headline for Tea is one, but bar prices - especially for season ticket holders are very reasonable.

Hopefully this will put to bed the 'lower prices increase attendance' argument as well. There are cheaper tickets and smaller attendances at clubs in this division.

According to some kind of analysis when you type us in, our Matchday cheapest prices are 13% above the average and same with our most expensive. Cheapest season tickets are 11% below and most expensive 1% above respectively. Good to encourage a regular and solid fanbase, not so much the part timer or PL fan who takes in something lower, the odd student etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37988939

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

According to some kind of analysis when you type us in, our Matchday cheapest prices are 13% above the average and same with our most expensive. Cheapest season tickets are 11% below and most expensive 1% above respectively. Good to encourage a regular and solid fanbase, not so much the part timer or PL fan who takes in something lower, the odd student etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37988939

Yep. Season tickets are where the growth in fan base comes from and the club know that. 

Like I said, in real terms, my ST now is as cheap if not cheaper than a decade ago. That's admirable when you consider the investment that has gone into the club (that we all cry out for whilst bemoaning the cost of our Bovril.....)

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yep. Season tickets are where the growth in fan base comes from and the club know that. 

Like I said, in real terms, my ST now is as cheap if not cheaper than a decade ago. That's admirable when you consider the investment that has gone into the club (that we all cry out for whilst bemoaning the cost of our Bovril.....)

Yeah season tickets are competitive but Bristol has lots of Pl fans, incomers and so on- how do we entice some of them as season ticket holders to take the fanbase growth to next level? Unsure how, where I work now only ONE other person in my office has either Bristol side as their first side. None of them would commit to a season ticket, hell almost none of them have ever been to AG- maybe only a handful excluding me and my other City mate here.

I think, hand on heart, we all know football is too expensive, but we have the choice whether to attend and what to buy.  I wouldn't spend £2.50 on a tea, but I do spend the same £2.50 on a hot chocolate for example.

I've made the choice this season not to pay a full priced match-day ticket (except for the Newcastle game, which was purely to sample the top of the Lansdown).  Despite this, I have managed to go to three games at a reduced price (thanks to the folks on here kindly selling their tickets (you know who you are, cheers!), and the Blackburn discount game.

However, the cost of football is relative to what you earn and what you spend per month.  I look after my kids during the day, and work part time for 6 hours a week, so to me, a match ticket and the costs at the ground are too high to justify and afford.  But, if I didn't have my family, and still worked full time, taking home £1400 approx. a month, then the costs associated with going to a football game would be very affordable.

Archived