IGNORED

Price of Football

Bristol Rob

10 hours ago, Be ashamed said:

1 litre of petrol costs in UK   about  1 pound 15 pence

1 cup of tea in UK ( about 250 ml ) costs  2 pounds fifty pence

Do you have a tea shortage over there . Is there a thriving black market for black tea?

Have Tory politicians invested heavily in tea?

Tea is cheap enough if you buy it in the supermarket. 

Cafe's have overheads to pay. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

2% cheaper than average by my maths. With huge investment in the squad and a brand new stadium. 

And still the moaners do what the moaners do....

I'm not "A Moaner", but these type of replies are just as bad as those that do.

Surely match day costs surely don't impact on the squad and stadium, they are funded by sponsorships and SL?

People I know won't go to Ashton Gate for many reasons.

Firstly, many of them can't commit to a season ticket, as they have other commitments that they have to prioritise, over going to the football regularly.

They would however consider going, if they could buy a ticket that was £20 potd, as a last minute decision.

However...what still puts them off going, is the hassle of getting across town, transport, parking etc. Plus the cost of that as well.

At the moment, potd is average around £31.... I think.

For most living on the outskirts of Bristol, there is little change from £50 to attend and enjoy.

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm not "A Moaner", but these type of replies are just as bad as those that do.

Surely match day costs surely don't impact on the squad and stadium, they are funded by sponsorships and SL?

Although these days match day costs are a fairly insignificant part of the revenue base for a lot of clubs, of course there is a link between people through the door and the outlay on the field and facilities. Why assemble a good squad in a nice new stadium if only 10k people turn up for it?

Everyone moans about modern football and billionaire investors and then says 'Ah, go on Steve....whats £3m for Tomlin....throw another £10k a week at him....' 

Of course he wants to see some return on his bottomless investment, why wouldn't he? He's not a charity. 

People still seem to think of clubs as some kind of co-operative between the working class and the club....those days are long gone. First and foremost the club is a business and businesses can't sustain continual huge losses year after year. 

What would be interesting would be to see the MARGIN on these items. The cost on its own is a completely useless figure. 

Its like judging a striker on goals without knowing how many games they've played. 20 goals is good if they've played 30 games, not great if they've played 300!

I'd imagine the margins that the club make on catering, retail etc. are fairly normal for the industry. 

And lets not forget the key driver on price - demand. Given that last time I wanted a hot drink at half time it took me longer than the half time break to get it, I'd say that's a good indicator that the catering isn't overpriced as clearly the demand for it is huge at the current price!

Why would any business charge 2.00 for something if they can shift the same number of units at 2.50?

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

Don't supermarkets?

Yes, but they buy items at mind boggling quantities compared with a football club. Economies of scale. 

Your local 1,000ft square shop will be that bit more expensive to run (thus higher priced goods to make the same margin) as your 50,000ft square supermarket. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah season tickets are competitive but Bristol has lots of Pl fans, incomers and so on- how do we entice some of them as season ticket holders to take the fanbase growth to next level? Unsure how, where I work now only ONE other person in my office has either Bristol side as their first side. None of them would commit to a season ticket, hell almost none of them have ever been to AG- maybe only a handful excluding me and my other City mate here.

Unfortunately an awful lot of people would rather sit in front of the TV and watch 10 games a weekend on Sky than follow a club for a year for much the same cost. 

All kinds of businesses are seeing significant challenges/changes to their industry due to the incredible increase in accessibility of content/goods/services compared to even just a few years ago. 

The key is making it affordable for the current generation to bring the next generation along.

For example when I have children I'll be making sure they're brainwashed from birth and by the time they're old enough to know better they won't have any choice ;) 

The club do great offers for kids tickets etc and that's where the next generation of ST holders are. 

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

while we are reasonable compared to other clubs (god damn that tea better be the best in the world), its still far to expensive,

Prem clubs should charge no more them £35, championship no more the £20 league 1 no more then £15 and league 2 no more then £10,

Even in league 2, that's way to much for a cup of tea..!

Have you noticed ....the old time tramps have long since disappeared from Greville Smyth Park?

Priced out of South Bristol by the cost of a cuppa?, ...

When was the last time you were approached by a gentleman of the road and asked ''20p for a cup of tea guvnor?''

(have they all gone to Horfield Common? Tea is much more affordable over there!) 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Unfortunately an awful lot of people would rather sit in front of the TV and watch 10 games a weekend on Sky than follow a club for a year for much the same cost. 

All kinds of businesses are seeing significant challenges/changes to their industry due to the incredible increase in accessibility of content/goods/services compared to even just a few years ago. 

The key is making it affordable for the current generation to bring the next generation along.

For example when I have children I'll be making sure they're brainwashed from birth and by the time they're old enough to know better they won't have any choice ;) 

The club do great offers for kids tickets etc and that's where the next generation of ST holders are. 

That's true enough. City have always been great with offers for the next generation of fans for as long as I've followed them.

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yep. Season tickets are where the growth in fan base comes from and the club know that. 

Like I said, in real terms, my ST now is as cheap if not cheaper than a decade ago. That's admirable when you consider the investment that has gone into the club (that we all cry out for whilst bemoaning the cost of our Bovril.....)

I don't agree with this.  People who buy season tickets are already commited enough to the club to spend £300-400 to watch us every week.  Well priced season tickets ensures your regulars are there every week, spending money on other things, and guarantees you a decent size crowd even for lesser fixtures.  However, growing the fan base is about attracting new supporters, and potential new fans don't sign up to season tickets straight away.  Competitively priced matchday tickets to entice the occasional fan through the door are surely what paves the way for new, life-long supporters.

On a different note, interesting to see that our top price season ticket is about mid-table compared with our fellow Championship clubs.  There was pretty much unanimous agreement (myself included) that they were overpriced when the prices were announced.  But it doesn't look so bad now, especially when you consider that you get to sit in a brand new stand with excellent facilities.  That said, I'm still not certain that £582 in absolute terms represents value.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don't agree with this.  People who buy season tickets are already commited enough to the club to spend £300-400 to watch us every week.  Well priced season tickets ensures your regulars are there every week, spending money on other things, and guarantees you a decent size crowd even for lesser fixtures.  However, growing the fan base is about attracting new supporters, and potential new fans don't sign up to season tickets straight away.  Competitively priced matchday tickets to entice the occasional fan through the door are surely what paves the way for new, life-long supporters.

My point was more about the reality that most people don't 'choose' to support Bristol City as an adult  

They get taken as a youngster and get brainwashed when their poor underdeveloped minds don't know any better. By the time they do it's too late - they have the bug. 

Of course, spare a thought for those that get taken to the wrong side of Bristol at such a tender age, their minds stop developing there and then ;) 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

I don't have any problem with any pricing at all other than matchday tickets are about £5 more than they should be.  

Part of me actually wonders if POTD prices are deliberately that bit higher to attract the 'ten games a season' type into buying a ST instead. 

If you're on the edge of a 'do I/don't I' seasons ticket purchase as you may only get to say 10-15 games, the attractive ST prices mean you're better off gambling on a ST and hoping you get to enough games to break even or better. 

15 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Wrapped up in meal deals various, I would have thought a season ticket holder can get a cup of tea for less, but to avoid being a negative headline surely it makes sense to come in just under the top price.

why just under. anybody that pays £2.50 for a cup of tea must have more money than sense if nobody bought it they would soon reduce the price

2 hours ago, pillred said:

why just under. anybody that pays £2.50 for a cup of tea must have more money than sense if nobody bought it they would soon reduce the price

In the survey, Forfar Athletic were cheapest for food & drink prices. £1.20 for a pie and eighty pence for a cup of tea.

Archived