IGNORED

City's best ever goalkeeper?

reddogkev

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A little brain teaser for all the City diehards

Billy Mercer holds a record in City's history

( Clue - It relates to his winning Player of Year in 99/2000)

Anyone fancy a punt ?

Least appearances wearing a number 2 shirt? :blink:

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Apart from a few select elite,everyone is Marmite!!

Hang on. I'm unique. Seriously I've watched most of the above and Gibbo was surely the most reassuring to see between the posts, but we have been blessed with some good uns.

Moller and Waugh.

Wasn't Moller promised a Rolls Royce if he kept so many clean sheets?  Remember Julian Marshall heading a great OG past him v Cambridge (I think).  End of that Roller!

Waugh - made the best save I saw at AG, a wrong-handed save from Chester's Milton Graham from 12 yards - we went down the other end and Walsh crossed for Trevor Morgan to head home....1-0 :yes:

Only saw Basso once, when he saved the penalty v Watford, so can't really comment on him.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Moller and Waugh.

Wasn't Moller promised a Rolls Royce if he kept so many clean sheets?  Remember Julian Marshall heading a great OG past him v Cambridge (I think).  End of that Roller!

Waugh - made the best save I saw at AG, a wrong-handed save from Chester's Milton Graham from 12 yards - we went down the other end and Walsh crossed for Trevor Morgan to head home....1-0 :yes:

Only saw Basso once, when he saved the penalty v Watford, so can't really comment on him.

Yes, Bob Houghton promised him a Rolls Royce if he kept clean sheets for the rest of the season. I think he kept about four clean sheets in his first four appearances but then was beaten by a superb diving header, as you say, by his teammate Julian Marshall. This sort of thing was par for the course for us in the early 1980s.

7 hours ago, BigTone said:

Has to be Gibbo closely followed by Cashley

I'm in agreement. When Cashley first replaced Gibbo, I didn't think he was too good. Three years later he had improved beyond recognition and helped us into Div One! (for the benefit of lurking gasheads, that is NOT the same as League 1).

I seen what I think was Moller's debut a nil nil at home to Cardiff on Boxing Day 1980. Kevin Mabbutt and a Cardiff player got sent off for fighting, but Mabbutt got a worse suspension as the Cardiff player was dealt with by the Welsh FA who were more lenient regarding offences involving fighting. Great that there was a level playing field back then wasn't it!

3 hours ago, Ayteomike2 said:

Who can remember cashley being one of the few goalies to score his kick against boro in the early 70's 

Not boro' but Scunny. League Cup 2nd round replay. It was chucking it down, but I had just bought some new waterproof hiking gear so gave it a try out on the Open End that night.

Just before half time Scunny had a corner and after bobbling about the ball went in off Cashley's backside. Early in the second half City equalised. Then after a Scunny attack, Casley gathered the ball and hoofed it downfield. Their goalie came out to collect it, but instead of rolling in mud, the ball bounced high, over his head and into the top left corner of the goal.

As the ball sailed over him, their goalie looked up with a despairing look as he realised what was about to happen. Proof I was there, the ball was brown, not white. The Ref was still in City's penalty area and at first didn't know what to do (somethings never change) then awarded the goal when Ray appealed to him.

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was there at Stockport - 2-2 draw? man, did it pour down!!

I bought a portion of mushy peas at HT and they served me and took my money before gleefully telling me there was no cutlery left - so I calmly bought a Twix and scooped up the peas with that!

That sounds right.  I remember some nutter using a chocolate bar to....

Widening the scope of this thread; best stand in keeper. For you young uns, substitutes were introduced in 1965 and only one until the 80's (?).

1972 home to Millwall and City went 1-0 up. Ray C was then injured and had to go off. Amazingly centre forward John Galley replaced him in goal. Millwall went 2-1 up, not JG's fault, but towards the end we equalised.

Brian Tinnion became "Brian the cat" in a 1-0 away win at Chesterfield.

Jan Moller was a giant in a dismal team...and played in the European Cup Final. Goodness, that was grim era!

But for me Basso was one of the truly larger than life figures in my time following City. A competent keeper made the more important by his personality. 

Sadly as I recall, could be wrong though, despite the Tinman's heroics we lost that match at Chesterfield...

26 minutes ago, 22A said:

Not boro' but Scunny. League Cup 2nd round replay. It was chucking it down, but I had just bought some new waterproof hiking gear so gave it a try out on the Open End that night.

Just before half time Scunny had a corner and after bobbling about the ball went in off Cashley's backside. Early in the second half City equalised. Then after a Scunny attack, Casley gathered the ball and hoofed it downfield. Their goalie came out to collect it, but instead of rolling in mud, the ball bounced high, over his head and into the top left corner of the goal.

As the ball sailed over him, their goalie looked up with a despairing look as he realised what was about to happen. Proof I was there, the ball was brown, not white. The Ref was still in City's penalty area and at first didn't know what to do (somethings never change) then awarded the goal when Ray appealed to him.

Senility strikes again. Scunny was the previous Tuesday. :facepalm: Yes it was Hull that RC scored against.

6 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Heaton or Basso in my time since 2000.

Heaton was error free but never made an unexpected save imo. Basso was the opposite.

That's probably the best way to describe Basso for me, he made saves nobody could expect him to and then did daft things like let in that goal v Cardiff!!

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

:clapping:

spot on Alex

Holds the record for us as being Player of Year with the least appearances (27)

I loved Billy M and thought he was dreadfully unlucky with his injury as he had the potential to be a great keeper for us  - - but for some on here to say he's our best ever keeper, with less than 30 appearances? You joking?! And Jan Moller made less than 50 appearances for us, does that qualify him for best ever? 

If so then Sam Allardyce is England's best ever manager with his 100% record.

it's a great debate but impossible to give a properly informed opinion when no-one has watched every keeper we've ever had.

For me, I have very fond memories of Ray Cashley, John Shaw, Keith Waugh, Andy Leaning and Keith Welch, but don't think I'm qualified to say who's the best ever....

Archived