IGNORED

City's best ever goalkeeper?

reddogkev

51 minutes ago, 22A said:

Widening the scope of this thread; best stand in keeper. For you young uns, substitutes were introduced in 1965 and only one until the 80's (?).

1972 home to Millwall and City went 1-0 up. Ray C was then injured and had to go off. Amazingly centre forward John Galley replaced him in goal. Millwall went 2-1 up, not JG's fault, but towards the end we equalised.

Brian Tinnion became "Brian the cat" in a 1-0 away win at Chesterfield.

Sure Tinnion also played in goal at home once aswell - can't remember who against though,  got a feeling we won 3-1 or 3-2 but could be wrong 

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I loved Billy M and thought he was dreadfully unlucky with his injury as he had the potential to be a great keeper for us  - - but for some on here to say he's our best ever keeper, with less than 30 appearances? You joking?! And Jan Moller made less than 50 appearances for us, does that qualify him for best ever? 

If so then Sam Allardyce is England's best ever manager with his 100% record.

it's a great debate but impossible to give a properly informed opinion when no-one has watched every keeper we've ever had.

For me, I have very fond memories of Ray Cashley, John Shaw, Keith Waugh, Andy Leaning and Keith Welch, but don't think I'm qualified to say who's the best ever....

This is controversial but I think I saw nearly all of Mercer's twenty odd league games and he really wasn't that good for us.

I remember poor mistakes at Brentford, Luton and in another league game that season which all cost us points.

I think he won player of the season in the Pulis era because he had a couple of excellent games in the Freight Rover (we got to another final) plus it was pretty much common knowledge that year that he had lamped Steve Jones in a dressing room punch up after the tanned tosser had slagged the club off..

9 minutes ago, allyolly said:

Not the best keeper overall but best performance I've seen was Andy Leaning away at Oxford midweek in the cup. A string of unbelievable saves that got us through 4-2. Just checked was 1988 season. 

Top bloke with the fans as well. 

He was superb that night, kept us in it against a very good Oxford side (Dean Saunders and John Aldridge up front?). One of their goals was a real freak, a Saunders shot hit the bar, bounced out and hit AL on the back about 5 yards out and rebounded in.

We won the second leg 2-0 with Steve Maclaren scoring one of ours.

I`ve probably got most of this totally wrong and will be made to look very foolish in a few minutes!

11 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

He was superb that night, kept us in it against a very good Oxford side (Dean Saunders and John Aldridge up front?). One of their goals was a real freak, a Saunders shot hit the bar, bounced out and hit AL on the back about 5 yards out and rebounded in.

We won the second leg 2-0 with Steve Maclaren scoring one of ours.

I`ve probably got most of this totally wrong and will be made to look very foolish in a few minutes!

Actually I think you're probably spot on with that!  But even if you're not I'm not sure anyone else on here would have been there...... Time for a roll call perhaps....?

7 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Mike Gibson was very popular and a consistent keeper. However in stature he was a bit like Frankie, so Moller had a definite natural advantage and was capped 17 times for Sweden. He always looked very confident and can't remember him making any major errors in his time with us. Fot those who didn't see Gibbo play you can watch him on this MOTD from 1967:

Wow. great footge, Quigley, Crowe and Sharpe all on the same pitch :) Was that Jimmy Armfield playing right back for Blackpool?

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Wow. great footge, Quigley, Crowe and Sharpe all on the same pitch :) Was that Jimmy Armfield playing right back for Blackpool?

Yes it was and not long after that game City signed that Blackpool winger Alan Skirton.

10 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Mike Gibson is certainly my favourite City keeper, anyone else remember his trade mark of striding half way across the goal before jumping up to touch the crossbar!?

And then going to "excavate" around the penalty spot

I've just looked at City's League tables as goals against may be an indicator of goalie prowess, but accept it is a team game.

1905-06 promotion team. Played 38 conceded 28.

1974-75 finished 5th team P42 conceded 33.

The 1960 relegation team P42, scored 60, but conceded 97.

4 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Basso for me. Made some outrageous saves. Got the crowd going. Shame he left how he did

Had Mercer stayed fit he could have been up there, and had Heaton not played behind the worst defence in the league he may have got more appreciation 

I'd say Basso has had enough shouts to cement his place in the top 3.

Archived