IGNORED

City's best ever goalkeeper?

reddogkev

14 minutes ago, 8menhadadream said:

Are you my dad Es as that's pretty much exactly what he said to me? :blink:

I knew Gibson was held in high regard by many but was he really THAT good?  My old man is generally underwhelmed about anything to do with BCFC although he loves the club, he's just a cynical old fart but he was a different bloke when chatting about Mike Gibson. 

He was definitely that good, after John Atyeo and Gerry Gow from the 60's/70's era Gibbo is probably the next most popular player, he was a cult figure amongst the fans, they loved him, he very rarely made errors.

I remember the FA cup match away to Tottenham in 1967, despite losing 2-0 to 2 Jimmy Greaves goals (one a penalty) City really played well and missed a twice taken penalty, on the way out of the ground a Spurs fan said to me " you can leave your goalkeeper here son, he is brilliant ".

Yes he was IMHO that good.

This is a hard one. I always felt the goal was safe with Gibbo between the posts but Jon Shaw was my favourite. Jan Moller was also a very good keeper. Ray Cashley was OK in division 2 but he was found out in the top flight. We've been well blessed with a lot of good keepers over the years. Heaton and Welch also. spring to mind.

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Bo Anderson was much maligned.  I remember him making a world-class save (Banks-esque) at Stockport on a day when it poured with biblical intensity. I couldn't believe it wasn't all over the TV, it was that good.

I was there at Stockport - 2-2 draw? man, did it pour down!!

I bought a portion of mushy peas at HT and they served me and took my money before gleefully telling me there was no cutlery left - so I calmly bought a Twix and scooped up the peas with that!

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Isn't it mad that a keeper who made over 50 appearances for England and has the second most clean sheets in the Premier League, won't be considered for this!!

I guess it's because this is about the best goalkeeper for City. David James had a good career, but when at City he didn't inspire confidence. Who can forget his own goal against Watford?

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

Isn't it mad that a keeper who made over 50 appearances for England and has the second most clean sheets in the Premier League, won't be considered for this!!

Anyway, in terms of ability, probably Jan Moller.

My favourite however, Keith Waugh.

exactly. He is probably the best player ever to keep goal for City - just not while he was with us! if that makes sense

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I guess it's because this is about the best goalkeeper for City. David James had a good career, but when at City he didn't inspire confidence. Who can forget his own goal against Watford?

Oh don't get me wrong pongo, I get why he won't be considered for this thread.

It's just a shame that a guy with all his credentials, you know, England caps and top flight clean sheets coming out of his afro, will be lumped in with the likes of Ian Leigh and Mike Hooper!!

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

He was definitely that good, after John Atyeo and Gerry Gow from the 60's/70's era Gibbo is probably the next most popular player, he was a cult figure amongst the fans, they loved him, he very rarely made errors.

I remember the FA cup match away to Tottenham in 1967, despite losing 2-0 to 2 Jimmy Greaves goals (one a penalty) City really played well and missed a twice taken penalty, on the way out of the ground a Spurs fan said to me " you can leave your goalkeeper here son, he is brilliant ".

One thing I do remember about Gibbo was how many games he seemed to play. I almost sorry for his understudies, including Cashley, he seemed to play no matter what condition he was in, I remember Dicks saying before 1 game that he thought that Gibbo would not be playing because he had the 'flu, but there he was on the Saturday looking like he could hardly stand up between the posts!

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

How tall was Gibbo? Wasn't the biggest keeper you ever saw!!

Mike Gibson was very popular and a consistent keeper. However in stature he was a bit like Frankie, so Moller had a definite natural advantage and was capped 17 times for Sweden. He always looked very confident and can't remember him making any major errors in his time with us. Fot those who didn't see Gibbo play you can watch him on this MOTD from 1967:

2 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Can only comment on those I've seen, obviously, but in my living memory my personal best is Keith Waugh...Welchy is right up there too, and Mercer would have been as well if it wasn't for his injury. 

I've also no doubt that Tom Heaton would have been regarded as one of the finest had he stayed.  I liked him at the time, even though he seemed to be a little marmite on here.

Apart from a few select elite,everyone is Marmite!!

Keith Welch was great, Mr dependable but for the combination of entertainment and skill it has to be Basso for me. He might've made the odd crazy error but I saw him make some genuinely world class saves. Swansea away where he plucked the ball off their striker's head to stop a certain goal, there aren't many keepers who could've done that. 

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Post Second World War, I would nominate Tony Cook and Mike Gibson. Long serving, courageous, consistent.

I wouldn't pick someone like Jan Muller because he was here only a very short time.

i was hoping somebody would mention tony cook, I cant really  as he was my great uncle and I am biased, my gran elsie cook was so proud when he joined city

52 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Keith Welch was great, Mr dependable but for the combination of entertainment and skill it has to be Basso for me. He might've made the odd crazy error but I saw him make some genuinely world class saves. Swansea away where he plucked the ball off their striker's head to stop a certain goal, there aren't many keepers who could've done that. 

And what he did against wolves it changed our season from then on 

Archived