IGNORED

Bristol City - proving what I've always believed

Jack Dawe

.....just not good enough. Not at this level. Unfortunately. I've always believed this. I've got the posting history to back this up, before you start accusing me of opportunism. 

I am a pessimist, wracked with doubt. Serious doubt. And many years watching City - from near, and from far - struggle to be anything other than mediocre, anonymous. And often embarrassing, and pathetic. At this level. I just can't see us ever doing anything at this level. Relegation will happen before the next promotion, despite SL's generosity and best intentions. As I see it.

And if I was in charge, we never would do anything at this level. Were we ever to do anything at this level, it would need optimistic, deluded fools in charge. Fools like SL, and LJ. And that Ashton fellow. Bless them. I wish them well. 

I take no pleasure in this. It saddens me to see us struggle, in the unforgiving dog-eat-dog, money-bags, sacking merry-go-round of the Championship. I hate Wolves, and always losing up there. And all the other big guns we consistently struggle against, being cannon-fodder for them, at this level. I shudder to think of us trying to do this in the highest league, and marvel at the people that got us there 40 years ago, and kept us there for 4 years. And those 100 years ago, finishing second in all of England, and reaching a cup final. Heroes, all.

I know my pessimism is unattractive, and irritating to those of you of a more upbeat, positive, can-do state of mind. Sometimes I wish I was like you, and had belief, serious belief. But then I remember it's Wolves away soon, and I am glad of my pessimism, and the crushing disappointment it will protect me from, as we find another way to not win there. The same pessimism that ensures I will never believe that SL, or LJ, or anyone, will ever make anything of City, at this level, despite all the recent improvements. Thus shielding me from the futility of hope, and the despair that can only ever result from such folly.

Because we're just not good enough. Not at this level.

Belief, optimism, hope - I can see right through it (and it isn't pretty).

... and me. 

Having said that, Coventry away (ok is was to avoid relegation and we drew but, hey, we're talking City here), Notts Forest away (ok it was just a semi final ..... and we drew), Arsenal away (we won!!) and Bolton at Wembley (we won!!! but it was only a paint pot cup), means the Club do give something back, however, small .....very occasionally. 

Tremendous post from the OP, sort of sums up word for word how I feel about the club, will never give up on them, but all the knock backs take it's toll on a bloke. Last night was one of the up there knock backs, had we won it would have been a great response to a horrendous run of form of late. I don't really know what holds the Club back, well I do,  perhaps it's a lack of ruthlessness, and when you consider Brum have sacked their manager, after winning last night, and just off the play offs, you have to say rightly or wrongly, it shows they are not content with being average. Yet of course we celebrate average, and just above average is deemed a success. For a City the size of Bristol and the infrastructure we now have, we need to be no more push overs, and 'man up'!

SL is a nice man, a nice rich man, I fear that too many take advantage of this,,,,

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

.....just not good enough. Not at this level. Unfortunately. I've always believed this. I've got the posting history to back this up, before you start accusing me of opportunism. 

I am a pessimist, wracked with doubt. Serious doubt. And many years watching City - from near, and from far - struggle to be anything other than mediocre, anonymous. And often embarrassing, and pathetic. At this level. I just can't see us ever doing anything at this level. Relegation will happen before the next promotion, despite SL's generosity and best intentions. As I see it.

And if I was in charge, we never would do anything at this level. Were we ever to do anything at this level, it would need optimistic, deluded fools in charge. Fools like SL, and LJ. And that Ashton fellow. Bless them. I wish them well. 

I take no pleasure in this. It saddens me to see us struggle, in the unforgiving dog-eat-dog, money-bags, sacking merry-go-round of the Championship. I hate Wolves, and always losing up there. And all the other big guns we consistently struggle against, being cannon-fodder for them, at this level. I shudder to think of us trying to do this in the highest league, and marvel at the people that got us there 40 years ago, and kept us there for 4 years. And those 100 years ago, finishing second in all of England, and reaching a cup final. Heroes, all.

I know my pessimism is unattractive, and irritating to those of you of a more upbeat, positive, can-do state of mind. Sometimes I wish I was like you, and had belief, serious belief. But then I remember it's Wolves away soon, and I am glad of my pessimism, and the crushing disappointment it will protect me from, as we find another way to not win there. The same pessimism that ensures I will never believe that SL, or LJ, or anyone, will ever make anything of City, at this level, despite all the recent improvements. Thus shielding me from the futility of hope, and the despair that can only ever result from such folly.

Because we're just not good enough. Not at this level.

Belief, optimism, hope - I can see right through it (and it isn't pretty).

It sounds like one dodgy penalty against us during the next match - will finish you off for good.  Have a little sniffter and get down to The Gate on Saturday and cheer the boys to VICTORY - and all this will seem like a bad dream!

So did we not compete at this level in 07-08? 08-09? 09-10? have we not been competing this season for the most part?? Im not a happy clapper by any stretch and i for the record am unsure if LJ is the man to take us foward but come on OP it aint that bad.. with the top class stadium we have and the very respectable attendance's we have also been getting (16k against Brentford on a Tuesday night aint bad at this level) i think we are and can more than compete.

I have every sympathy with the opening poster. I have followed City since April 1950 and the best I've ever seen at Molineux are a couple of 1-1 draws a long time ago. Nobody under the age of 95 (assuming ten years of age at the time) has seen us win there and it's quite likely that I'll die before we do it again.

I started the season with a modicum of hope that the club had changed for the better but all that has disappeared and I also agree that our next promotion will be preceded by the unmentionable (at this stage of the season) "R" word. We cannot keep clean sheets and are looking like six year old kids trying to hit the target from less than ten yards. 

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I have every sympathy with the opening poster. I have followed City since April 1950 and the best I've ever seen at Molineux are a couple of 1-1 draws a long time ago. Nobody under the age of 95 (assuming ten years of age at the time) has seen us win there and it's quite likely that I'll die before we do it again.

I started the season with a modicum of hope that the club had changed for the better but all that has disappeared and I also agree that our next promotion will be preceded by the unmentionable (at this stage of the season) "R" word. We cannot keep clean sheets and are looking like six year old kids trying to hit the target from less than ten yards. 

CA yes I think it is the older supporter that has seen all the signs down AG from Joy to utter despair. I started in 1957 and have always felt that we are a club that just does not go the extra mile in life and years in the 2nd Div and 3rd Div ( even what us oldies call them today) are our pedigree. Last night I went into AG at 7.15 full of optimism, it started getting upset when I heard the team and steadily went downhill after watching a very mediocre game against mediocre opposition. The one thing that has increased over the years is the 'hype' we hear to sell our club to new supporters which 9 times out of 10 soon fizzles out.We used to joke years ago that New Bristol City signings were put through a 'scanner' in the dressing room making them into Bristol City Type Players where their skills were vaporised. A few years ago I thought that the scanner was a myth but lately am beginning to believe it is being used again !! Last night I saw so much back passing by us that I thought that in the Jan window we should buy 10 defenders and play the rest of the season in a 1-10-0 formation to try and get a point a match. Dont let it get to you Jack....... next season is around the corner :ill::sad26:

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

That's cheered me up no end and just when I thought I couldn't get any more miserable after losing to Brentford!!

5 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I think a few people have taken Jacks post at face value. :whistle:

:thumbsup:

I thought it was obviously OTT and a little gentle ribbing of another poster/thread on here (only been on the front page all day!) but clearly not?!

@Northern Red, @Moor2Sea, @Donkeeebles, @NickJ : cheers boys! 

Archived