IGNORED

China....surely it can't go on like this?!

BS4 on Tour...

Horrible state of affairs football has gotten into. But it's all relative. Football clubs earn billions from the players they have why shouldn't players get payed what they make. 

Im sure I read recently that Man Utd earned back Pogbas transfer fee in shirt sales within the first month. 

Makes me feel much more interested in non league football the further from real life top flight football goes .

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Or an agent..........

Don't get me started on agents. When Pogba's agent trousered £25m for his client signing for Man U I knew the football world has gone mad.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I read the same article...seems China are looking to take over as the world power of football. Wanting to buy up many football clubs in the UK. It highlighted who owned what, and who had Chinese interest.

Football Clubs in this country need to have some form of 'heritage' tag put on them, that has restrictions on what can be done with them and who has ownership.

It's our history we are allowing to be messed with. By foreign investment, that has no interest in the heritage of this countries fans or history.

Totally agree . Thank god for SL . Think we are very lucky to have him own our football club 

32 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I sometimes wonder where little 'ol Bristol City will sit in the game with the way it is going.

Bouncing between the top half of the third tier in English football, and the bottom half of the second. That'd be my guess.

7 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Add me. Watching Everton Liverpool on the box and could not agree with you more. Not silly money, DISGUSTING money

It's not even about the money really, more the fact that it's now - with FIFAs blessing no less - basically a game of who can cheat their fellow pro the best. 

Every time I see the 'fake limp' after a zero contact tackle I die a little inside. 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It's not even about the money really, more the fact that it's now - with FIFAs blessing no less - basically a game of who can cheat their fellow pro the best. 

Every time I see the 'fake limp' after a zero contact tackle I die a little inside. 

You're not wrong, but in a way I reckon it is the money that has made it this way.

Makes me laugh that some see this as obscene now when we got well beyond that point here ages ago, too.

£200k a week for Murdoch's Premiership stars is already an obscenity, whenever I watch our top flight now I seriously wonder why I bother, as it is just financial doping on an industrial scale..

Of course those who waste their life with phone ins to morons like Robbie Savage will say the likes of Burnley are apparently "shit" because they can't beat these sides who are massively funded by dubious Russian Oligarchs, corrupt Arab royal families and Chinese "businessmen".

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Makes me laugh that some see this as obscene now when we got well beyond that point here ages ago, too.

£200k a week for Murdoch's Premiership stars is already an obscenity, whenever I watch our top flight now I seriously wonder why I bother, as it is just financial doping on an industrial scale..

Of course those who waste their life with phone ins to morons like Robbie Savage will say the likes of Burnley are apparently "shit" because they can't beat these sides who are massively funded by dubious Russian Oligarchs, corrupt Arab royal families and Chinese "businessmen".

Merry Christmas, Graham!

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So Carlos Tevez has signed for a Chinese club for £615k a WEEK - he's now the highest paid player on the planet, and all this after his rant about modern players only caring about money instead of winning trophies....

But surely the way Chinese football is going isn't sustainable? There seems to still be more interest in our Premier League over there rather than support for their own clubs?

It's an interesting one....

The Premier league clubs started all of this. China are just carrying it on. 

The money paid is obscene, the quicker one of the bigger clubs goes to the wall the better.

7 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

The Premier league clubs started all of this. China are just carrying it on. 

The money paid is obscene, the quicker one of the bigger clubs goes to the wall the better.

Reckon the day's not too far off when one or more of our big clubs actually will go to the wall -

-the Great Wall of frigging China!

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

£615k a week.

How much does an A & E nurse get again?

Disgusting.

Aye it is disgusting money... but I never see the relevance of the nurse quote. Everyone knows the pay is not great but they still choose to become a nurse.  At the end of the day you should not become a nurse if you are in it for the money... there should only be one motivation for being a nurse, and that is wanting to care for people.... if your motivation is money nurse in the private sector and help leech more money out of the NHS

9 minutes ago, TRL said:

Aye it is disgusting money... but I never see the relevance of the nurse quote. Everyone knows the pay is not great but they still choose to become a nurse.  At the end of the day you should not become a nurse if you are in it for the money... there should only be one motivation for being a nurse, and that is wanting to care for people.... if your motivation is money nurse in the private sector and help leech more money out of the NHS

Err... yeah that's pretty much the only reason people go into nursing! Not sure I was in disagreement with you there.

My point is that nurses are extraordinary human beings - intelligent, adaptive, empathetic and versatile. Footballers are extraordinary athletes, but ultimately the money they are now earning is not justified relative to the people who deal with life and death within our health service on a daily basis.

Not that I wish it upon anyone, but perhaps if you find yourself in a grave situation where your life is in the hand of these extraordinary people (and it's not just nurses, it's health care assistants, paramedics, emergency care practitioners etc) then you might reflect upon their selfless nature and decide that they do deserve more for what they do. I'm not suggesting extravagant salaries, but £20k p.a. is poor.

Anyway, enough derailing the thread from me. Resume normal discourse.

8 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

A proper pay Day that for the little gremlin. Considering he wanted to finish his playing days back home with Boca. But all he sees is £££,£££

Who is going to turn down £600,000 per week, if it's offered?

I'm not being deliberately contrarian but I hope this continues.

There are many ridiculously rich people in China and if they all start pouring their money into Chinese clubs then that will become the world's de facto super league. The stars and TV money will head there and away from here.

As the money drains from the Premier League so the wages here will drop, there will be less foreign players in the Prem so the England (and Wales, Scotland, NI) team will get better, and gate receipts will become more important so City's decent support will put it in a stronger position.

Bring it on, Ronaldo and Bale to Shanghai Surprise on £5m a week each.

41 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm not being deliberately contrarian but I hope this continues.

There are many ridiculously rich people in China and if they all start pouring their money into Chinese clubs then that will become the world's de facto super league. The stars and TV money will head there and away from here.

As the money drains from the Premier League so the wages here will drop, there will be less foreign players in the Prem so the England (and Wales, Scotland, NI) team will get better, and gate receipts will become more important so City's decent support will put it in a stronger position.

Bring it on, Ronaldo and Bale to Shanghai Surprise on £5m a week each.

Not sure it will. I think the sponsors and broadcasters will fight tooth and nail to keep the main product in Europe.

Whilst there are some athletes who will chase the money, given they're already offering £60m transfer fees and £615k pw wages and the best they are getting is a Chelsea reserve and a player/pensioner, money doesn't buy you everything. 

Personally I think it more likely that for the next 5-10 years China will become one of the PL's biggest subsidy payers. 

5 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Not sure it will. I think the sponsors and broadcasters will fight tooth and nail to keep the main product in Europe.

Whilst there are some athletes who will chase the money, given they're already offering £60m transfer fees and £615k pw wages and the best they are getting is a Chelsea reserve and a player/pensioner, money doesn't buy you everything. 

Personally I think it more likely that for the next 5-10 years China will become one of the PL's biggest subsidy payers. 

Short term yes that's what will happen. I don't know enough about China's football scene but the country is big enough and rich enough to have the world superleague.

What we've mostly seen so far are a few outliers like that Russian club, and one in the gulf. Sure they're going to win their  domestic leagues but one or two great clubs do not a competitive league make as Scotland repeatedly demonstrates.

If several Chinese clubs (and I can't name one) start snapping up all the emerging South American and African players on top of the "one last big pay day" Europeans then you end up with teams filled with World Cup stars playing each other ever week. And that's box office.

It depends how it goes, they have the money and if it gets reasonably evenly distributed over twenty or even a dozen clubs then it will take off. All the foreign managers in the PL will decamp (it's not like they're British) and double their wages over there.

If it's only a handful of clubs then it will just be a another also ran league.

11 hours ago, downendcity said:

More worrying are players like Oscar going to China for a massive pay deal, but doing so while at the peak of their career. It reflects on the players priorities in that he is happy to put money before ambition and success. It's not as if he is not earning very good money already and playing at the very top of the professional game, but, if you were in your mid 20's and could earn give or take £60m over 3 years to secure your family's future wouldn't you?

If Oscar was playing every week for Chelsea then I suspect he may have more than a bit of doubt about moving to China, but he doesn't, and in my opinion they players moving there are more hype than substance.

With a billion and a quarter population and gov't backing of football in China I think actually it may be sustainable for the foreseeable future. Add in the fact that the Chinese economy is already on the turn and soft or zero interest loans I am sure Chinese football will go from strength to strength. The same incentives are available for Chinese firms and entrepreneurs wanting to buy foreign clubs. I think it is all part of a master plan that will see Premier and Championship clubs playing close season tournaments in China to drive the popularity at home. I would not be surprised to see a West Guangzhou Albion and a Honshu Wanderers branded in the same colours as their original 'pawn feeder' clubs. 

I drove past a huge hoarding yesterday evening showing a big picture of the rather grotesquely designed MG3 with the caption 'Morris Garages - The most prestigious brand from the UK since 1924' or words to the effect. How ridiculously brazen i thought that wording was. Besmirching the true MG with a piece of crap made in China really does sum up their lack of understanding or lack of care in honest marketing. But then I thought to myself that firstly the Chinese don't give a damn and secondly don't need to give a damn because they throw so much money at something and they are always right about a certain approach and everybody else is always wrong. 

This roughshod brazen approach is how they tackle any 'new' business they enter. Invariably they end up buying market share simply because their target market is gullible enough to buy into it. West Midlands football teams will likely see a trickling of support away from supporting their team even if a football club has very inelastic demand but this will easily be picked up by the more than 50,000 Chinese living in the area. 

Looking on the bright side we should consider that these foreign owners are only the temporary custodians and are at least ploughing money in. One day, for sure, they will lose interest as the cycle goes full circle.

26 minutes ago, Robin Ashton said:

In 2006 Sheffield United's then owner Kevin McCabe bought Chinese team Chengdu Wuniu and changed their name to Chengdu Blades, also changing their kit and badge. Their reserve team played in the Hong Kong League as Sheffield United.

When the Blades are promoted and play us next season that sounds like an interesting match day thread topic. I do seem to recall reading about this story at the time. And here is an update on the club:-

The club was officially dissolved on January 4, 2015 and was subsequently de-registered by the Chinese Football Association on January 31, 2015 due to unpaid salaries to players and staff.

The Chinese have been warned; we tried it so just don't do it!

3 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

About £500 a week after tax.....and after paying for a parking space.

Whilst that doesn't seem like a fair wage for the job they do or the hours or shifts they put in, we have to remember they knew roughly what they were signing up for and they haven't been conscripted.

Archived