IGNORED

China....surely it can't go on like this?!

BS4 on Tour...

All these self righteous people saying it's disgusting and all the players see is dollar signs. FFS, who wouldn't take a job for £600k a week?? One year of football in China can ensure your family's security and healthcare for generations. Don't begrudge the guy at all if our oriental friends are stupid enough to pay it.

As for the arguments that China will be the new world 'super league' absolutely zero chance. Regardless of the money, most youngsters in Europe grow up dreaming of playing for United or Barca. Shenzui Shanghai will never have the same historical appeal.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Whilst that doesn't seem like a fair wage for the job they do or the hours or shifts they put in, we have to remember they knew roughly what they were signing up for and they haven't been conscripted.

And you can't compare such normal jobs with a situation where people are employed for the money that they are expected to bring in.

There is no central body deciding what everybody gets paid beyond setting a legal minimum; it's supply and demand.  Home carers, for instance, is a profession that I think should be paid more but their pay is constrained by underpayment from the council to their employer (about £16 per hour of contact time - you can roughly halve this when you realise that travel and parking up isn't part of that hour) and this will only go up when enough people get sick of earning a pittance for a hell of a hard job and leave.  Though the modern way seems to be then to import cheaper labour rather than paying them a fair wage.

Objectively I may get narked that Wayne Rooney earns more in a week than I do in a year but in marketing, TV rights, ticket sales he will bring in more to the club than they are paying him so he is worth that payment. 

As a  post script to the Tevez situation, they were discussing it on Talksport earlier.

When Tevez was at Juventus he had another year left on his contract, but Juve agreed to release him from that remaining 12 months as he told them he always wanted to play that remaining years of his career at his first club, Boca Juniors.

Juventus must be really pleased to see him off to China to trouser £35m pa! 

P.P.S. Obviously the money never came into his thinking.

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

All these self righteous people saying it's disgusting and all the players see is dollar signs. FFS, who wouldn't take a job for £600k a week?? One year of football in China can ensure your family's security and healthcare for generations. Don't begrudge the guy at all if our oriental friends are stupid enough to pay it.

As for the arguments that China will be the new world 'super league' absolutely zero chance. Regardless of the money, most youngsters in Europe grow up dreaming of playing for United or Barca. Shenzui Shanghai will never have the same historical appeal.

Maybe not historical but I think you will find it might well appeal SARJ at £600k a week .It would certainly appeal to me, although I am in my 60's!!

59 minutes ago, downendcity said:

As a  post script to the Tevez situation, they were discussing it on Talksport earlier.

When Tevez was at Juventus he had another year left on his contract, but Juve agreed to release him from that remaining 12 months as he told them he always wanted to play that remaining years of his career at his first club, Boca Juniors.

Juventus must be really pleased to see him off to China to trouser £35m pa! 

P.P.S. Obviously the money never came into his thinking.

If that is true then it draws a slight parallel to the Solomona case in Rugby.  That is the case where a guy told his Rugby League club that he was retiring, thus breaking his contract on that basis.  He then promptly signed a contract with a Rugby Union side as a "Free Agent".

The BBC summarise the implications here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/38341209

Could there be a case from Juventus going after Tevez if they feel that he broke his contract with them in a misleading manner?

The case continues.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

If that is true then it draws a slight parallel to the Solomona case in Rugby.  That is the case where a guy told his Rugby League club that he was retiring, thus breaking his contract on that basis.  He then promptly signed a contract with a Rugby Union side as a "Free Agent".

The BBC summarise the implications here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/38341209

Could there be a case from Juventus going after Tevez if they feel that he broke his contract with them in a misleading manner?

The case continues.

He'll certainly have the funds to fight it if it happened. I can't imagine two years ago either thought he'd get a 650k a week offer 

21 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It's not even about the money really, more the fact that it's now - with FIFAs blessing no less - basically a game of who can cheat their fellow pro the best. 

Every time I see the 'fake limp' after a zero contact tackle I die a little inside. 

Feel exactly the same.

• Admin
15 minutes ago, 22A said:

I've been informed there is no Formula 1 in China next year. As a result some clubs have been given Government money (that would otherwise subsidise GP), to attract big names to the Chinese Premiership.

You've been informed wrongly, F1 GP in China, Shanghai 9th April 2017

23 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Hopefully this :yawn:- just sit back and watch it all implode then be in a position to pick up the pieces afterwards. It`s Darwin`s theory as applied to football.

I've no longer a great desire to sit at the top table. A sustainable club with healthy crowds as part of the local community will satisfy me. 

On 19/12/2016 at 21:31, OddBallJim said:

Bill Shankly quote or not, I don't think playing football in the chinese leagues warrants that amount of money when there are men and women out there who really are dealing with life and death on a daily basis and earning jack shit.

It's up for debate whether european football salaries are justified. The european game is considered to be the pinacle, so I am less ambivalent towards the money being thrown around. But to offer that vast amount of money for the chinese leagues is just so wrong.

Why though? If someone can afford to pay it, who are we to moan at them?

I hate all the money in football, but most of it is coming from the pockets of very wealthy people with nothing better to spend it on.

17 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

I've no longer a great desire to sit at the top table. A sustainable club with healthy crowds as part of the local community will satisfy me. 

That`s pretty much what I meant. When it all implodes, which it will, clubs like ours will be able to ride out the storm and when it all settles down it will hopefully be back to the way it used to be - a level playing field.

The standard of players moving to China is increasing all the time. The money is of course out of this world, out of this stratosphere but there is no doubt the standard of players and coaches moving to China is increasing at a steady yet consistent rate. Obviously the idea is to drive up standards, bring in marquee names to set an example, virtuous circle, lots of money and that sort of thing. Their National team is shocking so it would surely help to drive up standards.

On 21/12/2016 at 11:39, MarcusX said:

Why though? If someone can afford to pay it, who are we to moan at them?

I hate all the money in football, but most of it is coming from the pockets of very wealthy people with nothing better to spend it on.

Why not spend it addressing world poverty, homeless children, cancer research etc etc

There's so many better causes than football, there really is. 

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

Why not spend it addressing world poverty, homeless children, cancer research etc etc

There's so many better causes than football, there really is. 

Many of the wealthy people have become wealthy by screwing those in poverty. They're probably not bothered about helping them. 

I would love it if China snapped up all the best players to be honest, the EPL is not more entertaining now because players get £300k a week compared to 20 years ago when they got £20k a week.

If the foreign players all buggered off to China and allowed all our clubs to bleed more young English players then it's win win as far as I'm concerned.

i can't remember any football fans when the EPL started being bothered if it was the best league in the world or not, or that it generated the most money.  This is something the EPL themselves have come up with and they now try to convince everyone it would be a shame if the money went to China. For most fans it's irrelevant.  The only people who really care are the players, the players agents and the EPL shareholders if the EPL doesn't have as much cash.

Should have posted this here:-

Ref the chat about Reading...Not another Chinese owner.. you wait... this will be a House of Commons debate some years down the line and it will go something like this;-

"I would like to bring to the attention of the House the rather irksome fact that well over half the clubs currently playing their football in Englands second tier are owned by Chinese companies. Given that all of these owners have been de facto funded by the Chinese Central Committee, otherwise known as the Chinese Communist Party, one could argue we have, on our hands, a monopoly situation not only by a foreign entity but by a foreign gov't that has a rather questionable human rights record. While we, as a nation, have always been the archetypal open economy do we not have any moral fibre left that prevents such a situation? Something that has, to date, come about without a whisper of dissension from any member of this house. Had Nat West gobbled up Lloyds TSB and that larger organisation, in turn, gobbled up Barclays the whole country would be up in arms and of course it would have been stopped long before even the Lloyds purchase. How on earth have we allowed the Chinese in through the back door? "

Its coming folks. Mark my words.

13 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Who are you kidding, I would say £20 max. Per month.

Including appearance money and win bonus.

P.S. Saw on BBC web site the rumour that China is offering Rooney £700,000 per week to go there in the summer. Is £1m per week on the cards fr someone in the not too distant future?

14 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Who are you kidding, I would say £20 max. Per month.

That's a bit mean. I have my own boots and will make my own way to the ground. That's worth £21 a month before you even  take into account my astonishing skill at hitting row z while aiming at the bottom right of the goal.

21 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I would love it if China snapped up all the best players to be honest, the EPL is not more entertaining now because players get £300k a week compared to 20 years ago when they got £20k a week.

If the foreign players all buggered off to China and allowed all our clubs to bleed more young English players then it's win win as far as I'm concerned.

i can't remember any football fans when the EPL started being bothered if it was the best league in the world or not, or that it generated the most money.  This is something the EPL themselves have come up with and they now try to convince everyone it would be a shame if the money went to China. For most fans it's irrelevant.  The only people who really care are the players, the players agents and the EPL shareholders if the EPL doesn't have as much cash.

Problem is, in this case anyway, they're being linked with 3 other players from foreign countries. Now they'd appear to be starters but that means Pedro or Matip fit example take to the bench. Not a young English player. Maybe over years this changes but as for now, they're taking 6-7 players from Europe per window. That's many windows before the foreign players are gone. Not to mention most of these are South Americans who appears to have the sole aim of making money playing football and as much as they can(which is fine). I can't see young Europeans(top 7-8 countries anyway) going to China all that often. It'll most likely mean they'll lose out on their national teams something I don't think S Americans will have to worry about.

I can't see them poaching too much talent away tbh is my point. Maybe 1-2 per window but there is always a better deal in Europe and that's the main problem. We buy a 3m player and turn him into a 15m one. No one wants to pay 15m for a Kodjia or 10m for a Magnusson in the premier league when they can spend 5m on probably a better prospect from Belgium or Italy. Same with young English players. Have to get them before a professional contract or else you pay like 7m for a Lewis cook or 15m for a Jordan ibe. 

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 07:14, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm not being deliberately contrarian but I hope this continues.

There are many ridiculously rich people in China and if they all start pouring their money into Chinese clubs then that will become the world's de facto super league. The stars and TV money will head there and away from here.

As the money drains from the Premier League so the wages here will drop, there will be less foreign players in the Prem so the England (and Wales, Scotland, NI) team will get better, and gate receipts will become more important so City's decent support will put it in a stronger position.

Bring it on, Ronaldo and Bale to Shanghai Surprise on £5m a week each.

A proper Chinese Takeaway...  imagine all these Chinese club owners perusing the Premier League menu, picking up the phone and ordering a number 9, number 14, number 5, number 23 etc etc...   we all love a take-away now and again and a Chinese like the one you describe Mr Hitler would be most welcomed and desired by many I'm sure. Would be wonderful to see the SKY really is the limit... back to basics with bread and butter football, covered by the likes of local 'Roger Malones' around the country on Sunday afternoon TV 'Big Matches' ...  hmm, I can almost taste it.

Dear Santa,

Please can you fix football for us? .. Give us back the best bits of what we grew up with, let the Oriental Kings take away the overpriced foreign fodder we've been served in recent years and lets get back to good honest comforting Cod Lots and the occasional pickled egg... :) ...  it'd be great if you can conjure up a little bit of the 'spirit of '66 ' for the youngsters who have never known or experienced real English international football when it was good too ...  Cheers WH .  

PS.. help yerself to a Thatcher's before you go - Merry Christmas.

On 19/12/2016 at 20:40, Maesknoll Red said:

Absolute madness, I am finding it easier and easier to distance myself from the farcical paradox that modern football has become.

There were two screens showing football in the pub the other night - one showing Cloughie's years at Forest and the other a preview of the Premiershite the next day. Guess which one people were watching?

Archived