IGNORED

Worst fans

Aberdeen Pete's Dad

An awful lot of vitriol is being displayed on these pages. Everyone thinks they're right and everyone else is wrong. Many blame Johnson for our predicament, others blame the board or Mark Ashton. Some blame the full backs, others the goalkeepers. The midfield and the forwards have their critics. Fielding, O'Donnell, Lucic,  Matthews, Little, Golbourne, Bryan, Reid, O'Neill, Smith, Pack, O'Dowda,Freeman, Wilbraham, Magnusson, Engvall and Moore have all been heavily criticised recently. Currently Tomlinson is the villain. Some think Flint isn't good enough. Several players who were thought by many to not be up to Championship standard while they were here are doing very well for themselves at other clubs- Ayling, Skuse, Pitman, Cunningham, Williams and Baldock come to mind. Could this be a factor in putting off players for signing for us? Some posters on here seem to relish it when we struggle, and determinedly put down anyone who has a positive outlook. I don't believe many of these fans are Gas. I just wish they didn't act as if they were.

It often gets very quiet at Ashton Gate when City are not playing at their best, especially if they go behind. The support is fine when we are playing well and are successful. It has always been like this. I remember when we played Spurs in the League Cup Semi Final in 1970, their famous manager Bill Nicholson said that he never known such a quiet crowd for such a big game. It's a West Country thing. It!s not a coincidence that Plymouth is the biggest city to have never had top division football. The fact that we have had only 4 years there in more than a century is pathetic. Exeter and Torquay are 2 of only 4 clubs who have played more than 30 years of League football and to have never played , at least, 2nd tier ( Hartlepool and Rochdale are the others.) The less said about the gas the better.

Too many of our fans are pessimistic, anxious and quick to criticise. Before attacking the managers, players, chairman or the board, they ought to look at themselves. Players and managers come and go, the fans stay for ever. They must take, at least, some responsibility for our historic underachievement since the First World War.

6 minutes ago, Aberdeen Pete's Dad said:

An awful lot of vitriol is being displayed on these pages. Everyone thinks they're right and everyone else is wrong. Many blame Johnson for our predicament, others blame the board or Mark Ashton. Some blame the full backs, others the goalkeepers. The midfield and the forwards have their critics. Fielding, O'Donnell, Lucic,  Matthews, Little, Golbourne, Bryan, Reid, O'Neill, Smith, Pack, O'Dowda,Freeman, Wilbraham, Magnusson, Engvall and Moore have all been heavily criticised recently. Currently Tomlinson is the villain. Some think Flint isn't good enough. Several players who were thought by many to not be up to Championship standard while they were here are doing very well for themselves at other clubs- Ayling, Skuse, Pitman, Cunningham, Williams and Baldock come to mind. Could this be a factor in putting off players for signing for us? Some posters on here seem to relish it when we struggle, and determinedly put down anyone who has a positive outlook. I don't believe many of these fans are Gas. I just wish they didn't act as if they were.

It often gets very quiet at Ashton Gate when City are not playing at their best, especially if they go behind. The support is fine when we are playing well and are successful. It has always been like this. I remember when we played Spurs in the League Cup Semi Final in 1970, their famous manager Bill Nicholson said that he never known such a quiet crowd for such a big game. It's a West Country thing. It!s not a coincidence that Plymouth is the biggest city to have never had top division football. The fact that we have had only 4 years there in more than a century is pathetic. Exeter and Torquay are 2 of only 4 clubs who have played more than 30 years of League football and to have never played , at least, 2nd tier ( Hartlepool and Rochdale are the others.) The less said about the gas the better.

Too many of our fans are pessimistic, anxious and quick to criticise. Before attacking the managers, players, chairman or the board, they ought to look at themselves. Players and managers come and go, the fans stay for ever. They must take, at least, some responsibility for our historic underachievement since the First World War.

Ahhhh the good old "blame the fans " shit 

Our support home and away has been superb.  The club promised changes,  the club promised progress. ...the club failed again 

5 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

The club has failed? We're really saying that already, at the end of December and sitting 17th in the table?

Yep. I'm saying that. We could drop below Burton today

Unless they have something big lined up for January, which going by theithe recent signings Imy not holding my breath. ..then yeah, I say we have failed 

13 minutes ago, Aberdeen Pete's Dad said:

perhaps like me most fans are sick to death of being served up on the most part shit football with the odd good season in league 1, i think our support is very good , weve nearly always been shit with the money sl has put into this club we should be comfortable in this league, jobs for the boys culture at the gate needs to stop for us to progress .

8 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

The club has failed? We're really saying that already, at the end of December and sitting 17th in the table?

The club has failed.  League position is f'all to do with it.  You're 'the journalist' look into not just the club but the holding companies, maybe you have?

The thing I don't understand is all the personal abuse directed towards players, management, board members and also other posters on here.

If you feel we should keep hold of Johnson and work through this issue, you are a happy clapper, blind, rose tinted glasses, etc

If you want to get rid, you are a doom merchant, know nothing about football. I have seen a number of posters say they don't want LJ as manager because they don't like him as a person which is bizarre.

4 minutes ago, RumRed said:

The club has failed.  League position is f'all to do with it.  You're 'the journalist' look into not just the club but the holding companies, maybe you have?

A bit confused. So we could be top of the league, but we'd still be failing?

I don't cover Bristol City so that's not my job - but I'd be interested to hear what you've found (genuinely, I'm not being flippant)?

25 minutes ago, Aberdeen Pete's Dad said:

Too many of our fans are pessimistic, anxious and quick to criticise. Before attacking the managers, players, chairman or the board, they ought to look at themselves.

I understand the motive for your post and the spirit in which it's written but as a generalisation it is very unfair. Ask Ipswich what they thought of our fans last night for a 7 hour round trip on a Friday night. The fans stood and were behind the team from start to finish and everyone of our team to a man, LJ included, was applauded at the end. If anything both home and away I sometimes think if there's any danger, it's that our fans are too blindly complimentary.

To that end, this will sound patronising as a response to your point but it's true - English football is so bloody sugar-coated and your post shows why. Anywhere else in Europe and teams wouldn't muster 5% of the away support that our league clubs take, but get on a run like ours and you can be sure they'd be at the training ground bricking cars and hounding players. Of course it's lovely to be nice but you've underestimated how well supported our players are.

19 minutes ago, Aberdeen Pete's Dad said:

Please remember that whilst we are fans, we are also customers of BCFC and we spend a great deal of time and money following our club for little reward.

It is not too extreme for us to expect much better from this club who have given eff all back to us.

In a commercial situation, I would have stopped using them years ago.

3 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

A bit confused. So we could be top of the league, but we'd still be failing?

I don't cover Bristol City so that's not my job - but I'd be interested to hear what you've found (genuinely, I'm not being flippant)?

You may have walked in at crossed purposes.

The concern of many of our fans, especially of the older persuasion, is not league position.

We care about the club, and by club we mean bcfc, not BS.  

We aren't blinded by the money that's been thrown into the stadium as it's not bcfc's.

Do a little digging and find out where BCFC is going vs the Stadium.  I'd be interested what you find out.

10 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Yep. I'm saying that. We could drop below Burton today

Unless they have something big lined up for January, which going by theithe recent signings Imy not holding my breath. ..then yeah, I say we have failed 

What have Burton got to do with it? Don't discredit your argument by getting Billy Big Bollocks about it, else we may as well have all packed our bags and given up as soon as Bournemouth reached the Premier League.

I agree we're in a fair amount on danger if we don't produce two or three really good eggs in January - but, again, you're slightly discrediting yourself by saying we've failed before we've even given ourselves a chance to do just that.

I appreciate this is only a message board and you're just thinking out loud - as are many others - but even so, at least give people a chance.

We are in the proverbial mess, not just on the field of play but, much more importantly, off it too. This has absolutely nothing to do with the fans.  Is there a fan on The Board? Is there a fan advising SL?  Were we consulted over the ownership of the ground?  Were we consulted over Bristol Sport? Have we been involved in the appointment of managers and coaches? 

No, we are just the cash cow that goes on giving, untold millions since end of The First World War - far more than SL through various financial structures.  We are simply powerless under the present club structure.

Yet we go on supporting and with modern tools, like otib, make our frustrated points public unlike in the past when we simply complained to other fans.  Remember decades ago, sitting in the 'Old Stand', hearing much the same as we are hearing now.  Our fault? I don't think so

Clearly not the manager's fault he has lost 8 out of the past 9 games then?

Quite why the fans who part with their hard earned cash are not allowed to vent frustration & yearn for better is beyond me.

The championship is big business as the 'little brother of the PL' & the gateway to untold riches if you make it.

Once the rot sets in & you get sucked into the vacuum of the relegation positions it is very difficult to get out of. Not least, it is also a very unattractive proposition for would be new signings.

Pointless changing managers after the window has passed.

5 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

What have Burton got to do with it? Don't discredit your argument by getting Billy Big Bollocks about it, else we may as well have all packed our bags and given up as soon as Bournemouth reached the Premier League.

I agree we're in a fair amount on danger if we don't produce two or three really good eggs in January - but, again, you're slightly discrediting yourself by saying we've failed before we've even given ourselves a chance to do just that.

I appreciate this is only a message board and you're just thinking out loud - as are many others - but even so, at least give people a chance.

You're thinking on the pitch, live up to your moniker and check out the proper stuff.

6 minutes ago, boss hogg said:

thing is the criticism on the whole is justified, i cant stand the bs lj and ma spout out the fancy talk needs to be backed up.

IMO the bull sh*t and fancy talk is coming from the Johnson out brigade . I didn't hear you moaning in august/ September etc?

And to clarify I ain't a happy clapper or a Johnson fan club member, I'm a Bristol city fan!! With that you support the club through good times and bad. 

8 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I didn't hear you moaning in august/ September etc?

This has been mentioned a few times and simply isn't true - this is what I wrote after leaving the away end at Burton after our third consecutive win:

Sound familiar? The only people who got carried away in August/September were the media, Mark Ashton and anyone who didn't actually watch us play.

Villa at home and Fulham away now stand out more like exceptions than the rule. As someone else put it on here, they're McInnes Palace/Cardiff results.

7 minutes ago, Spoons said:

IMO the bull sh*t and fancy talk is coming from the Johnson out brigade . I didn't hear you moaning in august/ September etc?

And to clarify I ain't a happy clapper or a Johnson fan club member, I'm a Bristol city fan!! With that you support the club through good times and bad. 

listen to lj interviews , dna, equililbrium of the group, he talks more bs than any manager ive ever heard at city, august , september me **** all hes never achieved any thing , hes a new breed of manager talks the talk with nothing to back it up, clearly got a few fans sucked in to the bs.

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

This has been mentioned a few times and simply isn't true - this is what I wrote after leaving the away end at Burton after our third consecutive win:

Sound familiar? The only people who got carried away in August/September were the media, Mark Ashton and anyone who didn't actually watch us play.

Villa at home and Fulham away now stand out more like exceptions than the rule. As someone else put it on here, they're McInnes Palace/Cardiff results.

Totally agree. We have been poor all season but scraped results underservedly. Only complete performance was Fulham away. Our luck ran out. Only look at the bench to see the money wasted by Johnson. How anyone can back him is seriously concerning. He is not a Championship standard manager. He is dragging us down. Lansdown needs to act now. 

Archived