IGNORED

Worst fans

Aberdeen Pete's Dad

9 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

And we'll not go anywhere with Johnson in charge.

Just because we've never gone anywhere doesn't mean we should settle for that.

So what you're saying is we wont go up or down then? After the amount of time we've spent in L1 I'll take that for a couple of seasons and then we can start to attract a better calibre of manager and player... maybe LJ will still be in charge and push us forward, who knows

16 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

With regards to the Hartlepool game, we were dire until we equalised.  The game against swindle could have gone either way, again until we scored.....

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I meant to basically say.. the fans always back the team vociferously in big games which helps he team get over the line. 

13 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Would love to see that, gives us our club back.

Hate this Bristol Sport rubbish.

A lot to be said for supporter owned clubs, but, at least in England and for now, it appears not to deliver significant success on the pitch (Portsmouth highest placed?). That's also due to things that are messed up with the game (TV money etc) and can argue that most supporter owned clubs have emerged from some sort of financial crisis, so hardly likely to be Champions League winners in a year or two, therefore not impossible to succeed, but might need a step back first? Personally like the supporter owned model as aligns owners'/customers' interests, which even if 'success' doesn't follow, usually helps everyone get on a bit better. I do think SL has best interests of City at heart, but his views and supporters' views of how best to do it, will often differ and that creates unrest. 

Interesting the difference between absolute and relative success, if you're losing, everyone's hacked off, if you're winning, everyone's happy (broadly) - bet Hereford fans are living the dream... despite playing at Level 8, but equally bet they'd happily swap that for Conference/League 2 and losing... and being unhappy. Conundrums. 

6 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

So what you're saying is we wont go up or down then? After the amount of time we've spent in L1 I'll take that for a couple of seasons and then we can start to attract a better calibre of manager and player... maybe LJ will still be in charge and push us forward, who knows

With Johnson in charge thats a possibility. 

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Pete's Dad said:

An awful lot of vitriol is being displayed on these pages. Everyone thinks they're right and everyone else is wrong. Many blame Johnson for our predicament, others blame the board or Mark Ashton. Some blame the full backs, others the goalkeepers. The midfield and the forwards have their critics. Fielding, O'Donnell, Lucic,  Matthews, Little, Golbourne, Bryan, Reid, O'Neill, Smith, Pack, O'Dowda,Freeman, Wilbraham, Magnusson, Engvall and Moore have all been heavily criticised recently. Currently Tomlinson is the villain. Some think Flint isn't good enough. Several players who were thought by many to not be up to Championship standard while they were here are doing very well for themselves at other clubs- Ayling, Skuse, Pitman, Cunningham, Williams and Baldock come to mind. Could this be a factor in putting off players for signing for us? Some posters on here seem to relish it when we struggle, and determinedly put down anyone who has a positive outlook. I don't believe many of these fans are Gas. I just wish they didn't act as if they were.

It often gets very quiet at Ashton Gate when City are not playing at their best, especially if they go behind. The support is fine when we are playing well and are successful. It has always been like this. I remember when we played Spurs in the League Cup Semi Final in 1970, their famous manager Bill Nicholson said that he never known such a quiet crowd for such a big game. It's a West Country thing. It!s not a coincidence that Plymouth is the biggest city to have never had top division football. The fact that we have had only 4 years there in more than a century is pathetic. Exeter and Torquay are 2 of only 4 clubs who have played more than 30 years of League football and to have never played , at least, 2nd tier ( Hartlepool and Rochdale are the others.) The less said about the gas the better.

Too many of our fans are pessimistic, anxious and quick to criticise. Before attacking the managers, players, chairman or the board, they ought to look at themselves. Players and managers come and go, the fans stay for ever. They must take, at least, some responsibility for our historic underachievement since the First World War.

Now we're the scapegoats ?

I don't remember us signing El Bad ,Nicky Hunt , Stern John ... or playing the same eleven in the same formation every match whilst getting regularly walloped , or playing ordinary players as if they were a Barcelona first eleven , need i go on ?

I understand what you are alluding to , we are not leery Cockneys , bold as brass Northerners or abrasive Midlanders, we are thoughtful ,polite ,gentle folk of the West Country with no history of success and an experience of being kicked in the teeth by one and all .Excuse the stereotypes but you get the picture .

Do we really believe ?

If we were a small club like Yeovil ,for example , we could perhaps enjoy our football safe in the knowledge that we were n't a sleeping giant ,no pressure or frustration to be somewhere other than floating about in the lower leagues but we are n't .

We are too big for the third and fourth divisions and cannot tolerate being humiliated by the likes of Gillingham, Colchester ,Scunthorpe and company but we are too small to play with the big boys higher up, historically struggling in the second division and rarely bothering the top division .

What's to do ?

Short of being  in a league of our own  we must try a different tactic. This is what is happening now, we are unlucky . I firmly believe that you make your own luck but you cannot deny ,last night for example,  that Mag's injury came at a moment when we were on top and threatening for example.

We are BCFC ,we are trying to do the right thing in a very difficult time for football clubs.

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Now we're the scapegoats ?

I don't remember us signing El Bad ,Nicky Hunt , Stern John ... or playing the same eleven in the same formation every match whilst getting regularly walloped , or playing ordinary players as if they were a Barcelona first eleven , need i go on ?

I understand what you are alluding to , we are not leery Cockneys , bold as brass Northerners or abrasive Midlanders, we are thoughtful ,polite ,gentle folk of the West Country with no history of success and an experience of being kicked in the teeth by one and all .Excuse the stereotypes but you get the picture .

Do we really believe ?

If we were a small club like Yeovil ,for example , we could perhaps enjoy our football safe in the knowledge that we were n't a sleeping giant ,no pressure or frustration to be somewhere other than floating about in the lower leagues but we are n't .

We are too big for the third and fourth divisions and cannot tolerate being humiliated by the likes of Gillingham, Colchester ,Scunthorpe and company but we are too small to play with the big boys higher up, historically struggling in the second division and rarely bothering the top division .

What's to do ?

Short of being  in a league of our own  we must try a different tactic. This is what is happening now, we are unlucky . I firmly believe that you make your own luck but you cannot deny ,last night for example,  that Mag's injury came at a moment when we were on top and threatening for example.

We are BCFC ,we are trying to do the right thing in a very difficult time for football clubs.

We aren't a sleeping giant,  we're not too big to be in any division... you are where you because you deserve to be

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

IMO the bull sh*t and fancy talk is coming from the Johnson out brigade . I didn't hear you moaning in august/ September etc?

And to clarify I ain't a happy clapper or a Johnson fan club member, I'm a Bristol city fan!! With that you support the club through good times and bad. 

to be fair what in august and September was there to moan about?

2 hours ago, Aberdeen Pete's Dad said:

An awful lot of vitriol is being displayed on these pages. Everyone thinks they're right and everyone else is wrong. Many blame Johnson for our predicament, others blame the board or Mark Ashton. Some blame the full backs, others the goalkeepers. The midfield and the forwards have their critics. Fielding, O'Donnell, Lucic,  Matthews, Little, Golbourne, Bryan, Reid, O'Neill, Smith, Pack, O'Dowda,Freeman, Wilbraham, Magnusson, Engvall and Moore have all been heavily criticised recently. Currently Tomlinson is the villain. Some think Flint isn't good enough. Several players who were thought by many to not be up to Championship standard while they were here are doing very well for themselves at other clubs- Ayling, Skuse, Pitman, Cunningham, Williams and Baldock come to mind. Could this be a factor in putting off players for signing for us? Some posters on here seem to relish it when we struggle, and determinedly put down anyone who has a positive outlook. I don't believe many of these fans are Gas. I just wish they didn't act as if they were.

It often gets very quiet at Ashton Gate when City are not playing at their best, especially if they go behind. The support is fine when we are playing well and are successful. It has always been like this. I remember when we played Spurs in the League Cup Semi Final in 1970, their famous manager Bill Nicholson said that he never known such a quiet crowd for such a big game. It's a West Country thing. It!s not a coincidence that Plymouth is the biggest city to have never had top division football. The fact that we have had only 4 years there in more than a century is pathetic. Exeter and Torquay are 2 of only 4 clubs who have played more than 30 years of League football and to have never played , at least, 2nd tier ( Hartlepool and Rochdale are the others.) The less said about the gas the better.

Too many of our fans are pessimistic, anxious and quick to criticise. Before attacking the managers, players, chairman or the board, they ought to look at themselves. Players and managers come and go, the fans stay for ever. They must take, at least, some responsibility for our historic underachievement since the First World War.

singing wont keep us up

22 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

With Johnson in charge thats a possibility. 

Possibility not a definite though is it.

Your posts earlier about how he should never be allowed near the club is very harsh, he did an excellent job last season and we started off well this, his acid test will be if he can turn around this bad form.. 

9 minutes ago, Cider red said:

Personally I think the support we get is pretty remarkable considering the lack of success!

Indeed, getting over 20 k home gates this season is not to be sniffed at. Bollox is it the fans, this club has had amateurish ownership for decades, i dont care how much dough the Lansdown family has they cannot run a successful football club weather people like to admitt it or not.

I say this as someone who is on the fence about Johnson and feel anybody demanding he should be sacked is a little over the top at this stage.

However, there is absolutely no more boring narrative then looking to blame the fans or argue our fans are any more impatient or critical than anybody else's.  It gets brought up every time we are struggling and it never anything more than complete nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Possibility not a definite though is it.

Your posts earlier about how he should never be allowed near the club is very harsh, he did an excellent job last season and we started off well this, his acid test will be if he can turn around this bad form.. 

I don't think its harsh at all.  He got a 'bounce' upon his arrival which allowed us to escape relegation.  That bounce continued for the early part of this season (although the performances, despite the results and league position were poor).   Now the bounce has disappeared he's been found out.  He's quite literally, a rabbit in the headlights.  I'll reiterate: he should not have been allowed anywhere near the club.  

My concern is that the cub has put all their eggs in one basket, believed the hype around Johnson (which they helped to propagate)  and will stick with him come hell or high water. 

All fans are fickle.... but what is frustrating is that we can all see the potential of the club...yet time and time again there is failure. There should not be. We have now a good set up, money, decent resources... We should have high expectations. We should not tolerate mediocrity from anyone... LJ has not helped himself here because he talked about us being in the Europa league! Ultimately those who run the club are responsible. On the whole they have appointed inexperienced managers who have got us relegated. The appointments bar GJ and SC in the past decade illustrate this.People forget that SC got us up with wafer thin resources and clearly all was not well prior to his dismissal...... its all very frustrating.

We have the worst fans in the country. Moaning ******* idiots everywhere. Unsure why, maybe because we are the biggest club in the South-West by a country mile but some of our fans expect instant success. Reality check: we aren't good. We don't deserve to be good. The boo boys are at the Gate like no other ground in the country, it's my job to travel and watch football games before anybody tells me they're worse elsewhere. We are in an extremely fortunate position with our chairman, stadium etc. For some delusional shits, this is not enough. A large portion of our fans enjoy us failing so they can moan. Wish they'd piss off.

6 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

We have the worst fans in the country. Moaning ******* idiots everywhere. Unsure why, maybe because we are the biggest club in the South-West by a country mile but some of our fans expect instant success. Reality check: we aren't good. We don't deserve to be good. The boo boys are at the Gate like no other ground in the country, it's my job to travel and watch football games before anybody tells me they're worse elsewhere. We are in an extremely fortunate position with our chairman, stadium etc. For some delusional shits, this is not enough. A large portion of our fans enjoy us failing so they can moan. Wish they'd piss off.

Jeez, you're a tad strange, aren't you?

7 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

that my friend is complete bollocks

2 hours ago, Aberdeen Pete's Dad said:

How do I have to take some responsibility for the underachiever of the club. I do not pick the Board, Manager, players or tactics. I just turn up as I did at Ipswich last night, pay my money and support the team. The people who are paid to do that job take the  responsibility.

30 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

We aren't a sleeping giant,  we're not too big to be in any division... you are where you because you deserve to be

If you prefer , we have more potential than many small town clubs who don't have the support that we get and are  often surrounded by bigger more glamorous clubs. Of course the League does n't lie but Yeovil , Scunthorpe, Colchester, Rotherham etc know that any season in the Championship is going to be a rare occasion and most likely to be shortlived as they battle above their natural level .

Frustration is the word that sums up my support of City .

Now , with all the advantages that we have , rich fan owner, lovely new ground , facilities, etc we are still talking about possible relegation and losing to poor teams .

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

We are in the proverbial mess, not just on the field of play but, much more importantly, off it too. This has absolutely nothing to do with the fans.  Is there a fan on The Board? Is there a fan advising SL?  Were we consulted over the ownership of the ground?  Were we consulted over Bristol Sport? Have we been involved in the appointment of managers and coaches? 

No, we are just the cash cow that goes on giving, untold millions since end of The First World War - far more than SL through various financial structures.  We are simply powerless under the present club structure.

Yet we go on supporting and with modern tools, like otib, make our frustrated points public unlike in the past when we simply complained to other fans.  Remember decades ago, sitting in the 'Old Stand', hearing much the same as we are hearing now.  Our fault? I don't think so

Spot on. Every summer the ordinary working folk who support City scrape together several million pounds, which, in return for ground admission, the club spends exactly as it chooses.

It's the last day of the year and I've just been checking what we spent in 2016...over £2k watching City, which is one of the bigger chunks out of our family budget. I'm not buying any suggestion that the folk that follow the club home and away are anything other than heroic. A handful of moments...like Tomlins winner at Fulham...shine out from a year better characterised by Flint's blunders at Rotherham.

I'm reasonably resigned to the lack of any fan involvement in major decisions at the Gate. As billionaire football club owners go SL is one of the more down to earth, and in my experience a nice enough chap. But the club is now part of the Lansdown family "Bristol Sport" project and we're lumped with it. What the Lansdowns are lumped with is the responsibility when things go wrong. I can't see LJ going anywhere. SL is obviously comfortable with him in charge, he appears almost part of the family. That being the case what is needed is investment on and off the pitch to help LJ make a success of it. I wish both of them luck. Not easy, and not something that we as fans, having parted with our cash, can greatly influence.

5 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Sorry... i have been to most games home and away. We have had great support. I have not booed, called for LJ to be sacked but we all can express opinions. Since the Cardiff game we have been dire.....We have dropped like a stone and questions must be asked....

2 hours ago, Spoons said:

There can't be ANYONE left to criticise on here. This last 2 months has been otib at it's worse. 

Come off it, there are plenty of people who haven't been criticised. There's the tea lady (if City still has a tea lady); the groundsman because the grass is too long; the school children who wave the flags the wrong way when players come onto the pitch; David Lloyd who hasn't been mentioned for a while; CATS coach no. 1; George Feguson etc

Same old City, same old questions - decade after decade.

When we did achieve success under Dicks the club so screwed it up we nearly lost everything.

Other than the aforementioned Dicks, and Cooper, we have not had any manager of whom it could be said we are proud.

When we have had good players, outstandingly Big John, we have failed to build success around them.  The same happened in the old First Division days

There is nothing wrong with the fans, remember the turnout last time we were at Wembley, and I can remember huge huge crowds back in the day in the old Second Division.  There is nothing wrong with Bristol either.  We have simply been badly managed at all levels.  And as some of us believe the situation with the ground and BS is the worst management situation we have been in yet.

COBSE

Archived