IGNORED

Korey Smith today...

spudski

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Everyone blames the manager for losses mate...it's about time some of the players took responsibility.

LJ's not perfect...but he's at least honest and suffering just as much as us.

Lack of quality and experience is killing us at the moment.

Hopefully the new recruits will change fortunes and bring confidence back.

Indeed.  I can't pretend I don't primarily blame LJ as, for today's result in particular, I definitely do.  But one of the things that concerns me - and it's perhaps the biggest risk with changing manager - is that we seem to have a squad that is great when the going is great but seem to fold when the going gets tough and who, arguably over the last couple of months and the last two months of Cotts' reign, aren't playing to anywhere near their full potential.  I don't know the reason for that but I do wonder if there are certain players who aren't great for the morale, harmony and discipline of the squad when the going gets tough. And what worries me a bit is we might falling into the trap of giving a manager long enough to find that out and then replacing them before they can fix the problem.  At which point a new boss comes in, the team have an up-turn in fortunes and all is forgotten until a few months later when things go wrong under the new manager and a rot starts to set in.  For me, one of the biggest arguments against changing a manager at the moment is that it risks resetting that and meaning we get a new guy who needs another ten months to find out which players he can trust and which players he can't and we're back to square one...

4 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Looking at the shooting drills before the game I could work that one out for myself. Always high or wide of the target.

Crikey, does not bode well then as we spent 2 million + on him... to be fair, he has not really been given a chance in the first team.

3 minutes ago, Fiale said:

btw - when Flint was pushing his defensive line forward in the first half, did he grab Korey and pull/push him forward with him as to say what the hell are you doing, your behind the CB's or was it a friendly hug and chatter ?

Yes your right, Smith was supposed to be the holding player but was constantly out of position. To be fair to him, he aint fit and he is not match fit. The high energy performances he used to produce are a distant memory....

8 minutes ago, reddoc said:

I think you're quite right. This season. Completely disagree that he does this when he's fit. That's absurd. He's the one midfielder you rely on to get a foot in and break up play. Hold it up make the short incisive pass. Needs game time. Especially in this role.

We will have to agree to disagree on this then fella...I noticed Korey getting slowly worse in form before his injury. A player who gives too much room and space to an opponent, usually does so because they know they are struggling against better quality.

9 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

Slightly off topic, but can you explain the Wilbs for Freeman change today :blink:

Who would you have taken off? We were going more direct...Freeman was the right decision imo.

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

But by your own admissions LJ's signings  have bad attitudes and now DM's aren't good enough. 

There has to come a point at which you accept LJ has to shoulder some responsibility. 

I don't recall you stepping up to defend Cotterill when Flint was making mistakes week in week out. 

Yes...I don't think GoN, Tomlin and Matthews have done enough this season.

Of course LJ is responsible...but so are the players.

I've explained why I support LJ so many times...it's not just about being  the coach...it's about everything we are trying to achieve as a club as a whole.

Some of you don't seem to grasp that LJ is here long term...he won't be going anywhere, unless it turns into a cock fight like it did with SC.

SL wants him here and LJ wants to stay here...for a long duration.

The sooner the fans realise this the better. Being frustrated I can understand...but the players and LJ were 100% committed today...it's just a lack of quality. Bringing in a new manager now, during the January window would be suicide for so many reasons.

Korey Smith, playing as our defensive midfielder, did not win a tackle and barely touched the ball (that I can recall) in the last 30 minutes of the match. And we conceded 3 goals in that time.

Not solely his fault. But he epitomised our performance today and I can't see how Smith is picked ahead of Pack at the moment.

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed.  I can't pretend I don't primarily blame LJ as, for today's result in particular, I definitely do.  But one of the things that concerns me - and it's perhaps the biggest risk with changing manager - is that we seem to have a squad that is great when the going is great but seem to fold when the going gets tough and who, arguably over the last couple of months and the last two months of Cotts' reign, aren't playing to anywhere near their full potential.  I don't know the reason for that but I do wonder if there are certain players who aren't great for the morale, harmony and discipline of the squad when the going gets tough. And what worries me a bit is we might falling into the trap of giving a manager long enough to find that out and then replacing them before they can fix the problem.  At which point a new boss comes in, the team have an up-turn in fortunes and all is forgotten until a few months later when things go wrong under the new manager and a rot starts to set in.  For me, one of the biggest arguments against changing a manager at the moment is that it risks resetting that and meaning we get a new guy who needs another ten months to find out which players he can trust and which players he can't and we're back to square one...

I think LJ is aware of that, hence why he's spoken of the quality and experience and type of players that he needs to bring in, which the club are working at doing. We are only a few players off being a good team.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

About Korey today and this season FR?

No, my mistake. Should have "quoted".

I was referring to the apparent waste of money bench warming striker. 

Gone off topic! But nothing wrong with KS that a few games under a decent manager wouldn't fix. So I guess he'll be under performing for a while yet, but hopefully not too long.;)

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this then fella...I noticed Korey getting slowly worse in form before his injury. A player who gives too much room and space to an opponent, usually does so because they know they are struggling against better quality.

Who would you have taken off? We were going more direct...Freeman was the right decision imo.

Yes...I don't think GoN, Tomlin and Matthews have done enough this season.

Of course LJ is responsible...but so are the players.

I've explained why I support LJ so many times...it's not just about being  the coach...it's about everything we are trying to achieve as a club as a whole.

Some of you don't seem to grasp that LJ is here long term...he won't be going anywhere, unless it turns into a cock fight like it did with SC.

The sooner the fans realise this the better. Being frustrated I can understand...but the players and LJ were 100% committed today...it's just a lack of quality. Bringing in a new manager now, during the January window would be suicide for so many reasons.

Well if you noticed it coach I guess I'll have to acquiesce. Still have issues with the grow some line, with someone who's never failed to put in a shift for the club over the last couple of seasons and is undoubtedly struggling currently. Guess you'd have dropped him from the U13'S would you?

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think LJ is aware of that, hence why he's spoken of the quality and experience and type of players that he needs to bring in, which the club are working at doing. We are only a few players off being a good team.

Sorry Spud - not with you in defence of LJ

So why did we do,so,well in the last part of last season ??

In theory we are (Or should be considering the numerous signings in the summer) much stronger now

You can't blame players and keep excusing the head coach

Players , rightly or wrongly (And it's not one or two or just the prime suspects) are confused and pd'd off with LJs tinkering and tactics - Now there are player(s) who have been a problem elsewhere but some of those alleged to have had words with LJ have a good previous reputation as pros

The number of disgruntled players I would suggest is more we can write off as the odd bad apple 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

....I'm not one to slag off players normally...but when will this guy ever get a foot in? C'mon Korey FFS...standing off your man by two yards threatening to actually do something, then letting them make a pass does not make you a Defensive Midfielder...Grow some will you.

cute_dog_afraid_of_a_tennis_ball-46326.gif

Do you think it could be a mental issue due to his ankle injury, he hasn't played much and before his injury he would always put his body on the line and snap into tackles. Just putting it out there as reason , possibly

3 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Well if you noticed it coach I guess I'll have to acquiesce. Still have issues with the grow some line, with someone who's never failed to put in a shift for the club over the last couple of seasons and is undoubtedly struggling currently. Guess you'd have dropped him from the U13'S would you?

Don't get me wrong...you are correct he puts in a shift always. As did Mark Little today, he 'grew some' and busted one for us, he actually made well timed aggressive tackles and won the ball...Korey didn't...he just stood off his man or mistimed tackles...we don't need inconsistent performances, we need consistent performances.

Imo...I see Mark Little and Korey as squad players, not first 11 picks. Fine if you want to languish near the bottom and struggle, but I don't think neither are consistently good enough at this level.

Same for GoN...he was...but I believe his legs have 'GoN', if you can excuse the pun.

We all have opinions mate...that's football. I respect yours...

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Don't get me wrong...you are correct he puts in a shift always. As did Mark Little today, he 'grew some' and busted one for us, he actually made well timed aggressive tackles and won the ball...Korey didn't...he just stood off his man or mistimed tackles...we don't need inconsistent performances, we need consistent performances.

Imo...I see Mark Little and Korey as squad players, not first 11 picks. Fine if you want to languish near the bottom and struggle, but I don't think neither are consistently good enough at this level.

Same for GoN...he was...but I believe his legs have 'GoN', if you can excuse the pun.

We all have opinions mate...that's football. I respect yours...

Ok :) that's fair, for me defending KS makes a change from dissing Bobby Reid. Justifiably. Now I want my free ski lesson...

oh a new boy boy.  Spud gives his opinion on one match,then people come out the woodwork saying he has been shit for ages.... wasn't he injured for ages?  everyone can have a shit game  and i certainly don't see him as being a player who needs to be lifted up as a hate figure. I am sure that was not spuds intention either

I think there are many players in midfield who have good and bad games, Korey included.  LJ has changed that midfield so much almost every game it is different, I would suggest no one is comfortable in it during a first team game.  No real trust is built up.

I am not blaming LJ here, there have been many injuries and political decisions taken this year in this midfield, a swell as formation changes...there needs to be some consistency.  

Korey now has to get up to speed with GON and Brownhill. Pack, Freeman Reid, Tomlin O'Dowda and Patterson swap in and out so much. Yes they train together, its very different to playing first team football everyweek

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sorry Spud - not with you in defence of LJ

So why did we do,so,well in the last part of last season ??

In theory we are (Or should be considering the numerous signings in the summer) much stronger now

You can't blame players and keep excusing the head coach

Players , rightly or wrongly (And it's not one or two or just the prime suspects) are confused and pd'd off with LJs tinkering and tactics - Now there are player(s) who have been a problem elsewhere but some of those alleged to have had words with LJ have a good previous reputation as pros

The number of disgruntled players I would suggest is more we can write off as the odd bad apple 

The only players I know that have had 'words' are GoN and tomlin mate....of which tomlin has also fallen out with former coach's. I wouldn't say we have disgruntled players fella...they were working hard today...lack of quality and confidence did us.

If you notice in a previous post, I've also stated that LJ is responsible as well. They all are.

I don't think any of the players are confused...in fact they looked more organised today first half, than a long time. Yes...they sat back and played on the break...but I think those tactics were justified considering the players we had injured.

O'dowda got injured and it changed so much when Reid came on.

Heads dropped...you could see it in some of the players.

I still see us doing the right things...a new manager isn't going to make things better for the long term.

Some new faces in January and a bit of luck could change our fortunes.

I want continuity...Alan Dicks was given a chance, and he had a mare to start with. Changing managers is not the answer right now imo ;-)

But I don't see changing the manager as the answer.

We all need to fight this together.

59 minutes ago, spudski said:

---------------

But surely Spud , as I keep saying and MA told us all our new system means any member of staff or management can be replaced as the 'system' / set up continues

--------------

The sooner the fans realise this the better. Being frustrated I can understand...but the players and LJ were 100% committed today...it's just a lack of quality.

---------------

Not so sure about this - SL , like all Chairmen / Owners gets very twitchy when the fans turn and make waves

LJ seems to be right on the tipping point by any standard and another couple of defeats and SL will have to be very brave to do nothing as I think LJs position will be untenable in the majority's ? Opinion ?

I thought he sounded lost on radio post match and genuinely don't think he has a plan how to turn this round - we seem to stumble week to week with a different line up each time - looks a mess and is a mess IMHO

Its not just the horrific run of results but His selections , tinkering , the 'heads up' from Barnsley fans ( who are looking very astute right now ) , the fact he appears to deal with explaining away defeats better than he can get the players to play in whatever way he intends (and even that aspect I'm confused with)

My only real hope of a revival is no longer in any change in LJs thinking , coaching or tactics but on the hope we can pull a couple of rabbits out the bag in this months window

If successful it will paper over the cracks at best but at least we may survive

(To directly quote my source -who I would trust %100)

''LJ has no respect and has lost the dressing room ')

If accurate  that is normally the death knell for any manager / Head Coach

And from your post above '

' I still see us doing the right things...a new manager isn't going to make things better for the long term.'

All I'd say is 'Nor is the wrong manager no matter how much you back him or stick with him'

;)

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fair play mate...all good.

On the radio, LJ said he was really excited about the prospect of the team he's hoping to put out from January.

You're a football man...you know your stuff. You can clearly see we aren't being battered every week. We score the same as we let in...bar two goals.

It's not how we are set up in games...it's purely inconsistency and quality and individual mistakes.

We've got some good talent...Brownhill and O'dowda looked great today...disciplined and doing what they were asked.

Keep the faith mate...it will change for the better, I've never been more positive about that. I'm fed up with chopping and changing managers...it just doesn't work.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

On the radio, LJ said he was really excited about the prospect of the team he's hoping to put out from January.

You're a football man...you know your stuff. You can clearly see we aren't being battered every week. We score the same as we let in...bar two goals.

It's not how we are set up in games...it's purely inconsistency and quality and individual mistakes.

We've got some good talent...Brownhill and O'dowda looked great today...disciplined and doing what they were asked.

Keep the faith mate...it will change for the better, I've never been more positive about that. I'm fed up with chopping and changing managers...it just doesn't work.

Indeed, I think we have some good raw talent, it needs building on,not ripping up and disposed of when a new manager comes in.

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

Fair enough Spud but I don't buy into the narrow defeats idea - this is on the whole a tight league with few thumping dished out and sides once ahead tend to sit tight rather than go for the throat - and we seem to be in trouble now if we concede first and now consistently turn leads or draws into defeats now - that is a sign of relegation

id suggest this January is more crucial than last January !!

our other slim hope is that he gets all , or virtually all the players back onside , but personally I can't see that happening

Hooe you are right with your optimism on this one and I am way off the mark !!!

;)

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

Indeed, I think we have some good raw talent, it needs building on,not ripping up and disposed of when a new manager comes in.

That's my view too mate...

It's so frustrating...everyone is. It saddened me to see so many boo and walk out early today.

Whatever happened to that backs to the wall mentality when Benny was in charge...

Everyone needs to show support not find ways of ripping the club up again, however frustrated we all are.

Archived