IGNORED

Why it's not working...

spudski

1 hour ago, spudski said:

...IMO...

For what it's worth...it's not down to the LJ's tactics, formations etc...but lack of experience and quality in the starting 11.

I think LJ and MA gambled a bit too much in the summer, by not bringing in more experienced players.

Now in saying that...I know how difficult it is to get the right players at the right time. It's easier said than done.

Budget, contracts, fees, agents, wanting to come here, availability, long term strategy and prospects etc,etc.

Deep down they know this, and this is why they keep saying they need the windows to build.

MA and his team will be working frantically behind the scenes to get players in.

The 'experienced' players with that bit of quality... Matthews, GoN and Tomlin have for different reasons, have all underperformed. And this has led to extra pressure on a very inexperienced squad at this level.

Yes the results are frustrating...but imo, to be playing like we are with so few decent experienced players, tells me we have some quality in the youngsters.

The focus has to be on bringing experience, quality, older heads, physicality and mobility to the team.

All these injuries, just magnify how short in quality we are in this league...hence yesterdays team selection.

And this is the problem with football and especially smaller clubs like ours. Transfer windows. These Windows make it so hard for clubs with less money to operate. Asking teams to buy and develop a team in basically a 2/3 month period is a farce. Especially, as unless players are out of contract, the negotiations can take ages and rely on various sales falling into place.

How I see it...we've gambled on spending money on players for the near future in the last transfer window. Got them at a price we can afford, before they develop and become out of our price range. We've got a stable of raw talent, that now needs developing for a season.

This January window will be the one where we bring in the experience and physicality.

The two combined, should in theory turn our season round, and make us a mid table side.

LJ and MA will then have the rest of the season to see where we can still improve and where our weaknesses are. The summer window will be where we develop further.

It's all about next season for me. That will show how good we can develop under LJ and MA.

Expecting lots of abuse and 'that's not good enough' comments. But that's where I see it...we've gambled on inexperience and a few 'experienced'...and that's why we are where we are.

Sadly we've been here before with your defence of SOD.

Despite what happened yesterday I am still just about in the glass half full camp but that support is hanging by the very slenderest of threads.

In recent weeks I have seen quotes like 'not much wrong', 'only losing by the odd goal' turn to 'hope', 'light at the end of the tunnel' and you have added to the mix 'in theory', which surprises me coming from you, theories are great but at the end of the day it's only results now that will get us out of this deep hole that has been dug for us by a combination of mistakes. I understand the theory but it's not a given.

IMO yesterday was a watershed moment, I disagree about LJ's tactics, formations and the one you left out that has recently come to the fore 'substitutions', all season long I have been alarmed looking at a high percentage of goals conceded through especially central midfield, the gap between the halfway line and our 18 yard box is often totally devoid of any midfield cover whatsoever and that has never been properly addressed, which leaves a question mark over the coaching IMO, earlier in the season we had problems with defending set pieces and that now seems to have been put right presumably by coaching. In commentary yesterday before Reading scored their 2nd goal, the commentator said whilst we were defending that in one attack Reid managed to misplace 2 passes in 10 seconds on the edge of our own area, that is wholly unacceptable but not unusual. You cannot legislate for individual mistakes but you can point the finger at poor organisation.

The areas in which we need to dramatically improve IMO are definitely midfield, we need 2 strong players who can organise and give some much needed strength to our powder puff midfield and we need to stop players like Reid, Pack and Tomlin (if he stays) from trying to be far too clever in incredibly dangerous areas, we need to improve our woeful dead ball delivery Pack should not be allowed to ever take free kicks and we need to improve our crossing and also game management, our game management is almost non existent, we need to take out the inevitable predictability of our form over the past 3 months.

All that said I believe that maybe for once we need to stick with this manager certainly for the time being, he showed us last season what can be achieved and that probably encouraged Chelsea to loan us Tammy, I understand your post but I think you need to be more honest about LJ's failings and he does have them, 9 times out of 10 players get managers sacked, everybody knows that in football, but it is impossible to sack a whole team and it seems to me that we are struggling to sort out 1 or 2 players claimed to be disruptive, I believe that defeat against Fleetwood could possibly mark the end but if not i'd give him 6 more games maximum to prove that he can turn it around.

I would like to add one more thing, why is it other clubs seem to be able to bring in talent from their academy and have them playing regularly and consistently by the age that Reid, Bryan and Burns are?, are we doing something wrong?.

17 minutes ago, spudski said:

When I read the comments by opposition managers and players, pre and post match, the common theme is that we are a threat going forward...one on one with Tammy and have a talented offensive midfield. If other teams are saying that, then surely you can see that offensively we are ok?

Take yesterday as an example...Reading said all of those things pre and post match again...they said our only downfall was sitting too deep in the second half, not pressing anymore, which allowed them to play.

A common theme with teams lacking in confidence and maturity, is to let heads drop and fall deep. This is where we needed a commanding DM to get a grip and marshal the players. Even Bryan said this is what happened. Wilbs and LJ were barking for the players to keep pressing...but they sat back. We don't have a leader on the pitch.

In fact....we are bloody too nice...even Flint a mountain of a man is too 'Gentle'.

What midfielder is going to come away from the likes of Bryan, Reid etc and feel intimidated. It's way too nice out there. Communication is also lacking...does Korey ever call for a ball or not listen when it's someone else's ball.

We need a leader of men, some aggression, some bite...we need to intimidate as well as play nice football.

Once we get some physicality and presence in the team, I feel we'll be ok.

Tbh...I said to someone earlier by pm, that I'm really excited about the second half of the season. Can't wait to see the new signings and how we keep developing.

I've got a positive feeling...still think we'll finish mid table comfortably and get better in the coming months.

Once again I find myself agreeing with every point you make..........

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Sadly we've been here before with your defence of SOD.

Despite what happened yesterday I am still just about in the glass half full camp but that support is hanging by the very slenderest of threads.

In recent weeks I have seen quotes like 'not much wrong', 'only losing by the odd goal' turn to 'hope', 'light at the end of the tunnel' and you have added to the mix 'in theory', which surprises me coming from you, theories are great but at the end of the day it's only results now that will get us out of this deep hole that has been dug for us by a combination of mistakes. I understand the theory but it's not a given.

IMO yesterday was a watershed moment, I disagree about LJ's tactics, formations and the one you left out that has recently come to the fore 'substitutions', all season long I have been alarmed looking at a high percentage of goals conceded through especially central midfield, the gap between the halfway line and our 18 yard box is often totally devoid of any midfield cover whatsoever and that has never been properly addressed, which leaves a question mark over the coaching IMO, earlier in the season we had problems with defending set pieces and that now seems to have been put right presumably by coaching. In commentary yesterday before Reading scored their 2nd goal, the commentator said whilst we were defending that in one attack Reid managed to misplace 2 passes in 10 seconds on the edge of our own area, that is wholly unacceptable but not unusual. You cannot legislate for individual mistakes but you can point the finger at poor organisation.

The areas in which we need to dramatically improve IMO are definitely midfield, we need 2 strong players who can organise and give some much needed strength to our powder puff midfield and we need to stop players like Reid, Pack and Tomlin (if he stays) from trying to be far too clever in incredibly dangerous areas, we need to improve our woeful dead ball delivery Pack should not be allowed to ever take free kicks and we need to improve our crossing and also game management, our game management is almost non existent, we need to take out the inevitable predictability of our form over the past 3 months.

All that said I believe that maybe for once we need to stick with this manager certainly for the time being, he showed us last season what can be achieved and that probably encouraged Chelsea to loan us Tammy, I understand your post but I think you need to be more honest about LJ's failings and he does have them, 9 times out of 10 players get managers sacked, everybody knows that in football, but it is impossible to sack a whole team and it seems to me that we are struggling to sort out 1 or 2 players claimed to be disruptive, I believe that defeat against Fleetwood could possibly mark the end but if not i'd give him 6 more games maximum to prove that he can turn it around.

I would like to add one more thing, why is it other clubs seem to be able to bring in talent from their academy and have them playing regularly and consistently by the age that Reid, Bryan and Burns are?, are we doing something wrong?.

I agree about our midfield. The biggest problem is lack of movement off the ball...I'm screaming inside for players to move to receive a pass. Bryan is the worst. He runs behind opposition players so he can't receive the ball.

Reids two mistakes yesterday, were down to his team mates not moving into space. It was like trying to thread a ball through the eye of a needle. Too many players actually not wanting the ball it seems. Having a 'breather'.

There is also very little movement when tracking back...it's lazy imo.

No wonder Tomlin tracks back so far to get the ball.

If anybody wonders why we pass back so much or sideways...look at the movement of our midfielders and Tammy.

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Maybe the biggest problem would have been playing Tammy, Kodjia and Tomlin in the hole behind. Sounds lovely on paper...but we've seen how tough this league is....with the personnel we have in DM, we would have been just too weak defensively...we are now, even playing one up front, so think how much worse it would have been playing those three together.

What we also don't know, if the terms of contract with what we have with Tammy.

I understand he has to play a certain amount of games...does it also say that he has to play in a certain position?

I should imagine Chelsea would only let him come here, on the pretence that he plays, he plays as a central striker, and that we are going to play football in a certain way, so as not to deter from his development.

I've had my concerns about the Tammy deal from the start, ( no problem with the player) I've never liked the situations where the parent club dictate to when and where their player plays. Personally I would have been more than happy to have Kodjia still at the club and no loanee bought in. If, and it would not surprise me, Chelsea insisted TA must play as a central striker, then LJ only has himself to blame for Kodjia going. 

At the end of the season TA will be off, we are then going to have to somehow find a 20 goal a season striker from somewhere and they don't grow on trees.

I also wonder if Chelsea have a clause which may state that TA can be called back by Chelsea if LJ is no longer our manager, this wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, because Chelsea loan out players to managers ( ideology of playing the game) and not clubs. 

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree about our midfield. The biggest problem is lack of movement off the ball...I'm screaming inside for players to move to receive a pass. Bryan is the worst. He runs behind opposition players so he can't receive the ball.

Reids two mistakes yesterday, were down to his team mates not moving into space. It was like trying to thread a ball through the eye of a needle. Too many players actually not wanting the ball it seems. Having a 'breather'.

If anybody wonders why we pass back so much or sideways...look at the movement of our midfielders and Tammy.

Then he should put his boot through the ball and clear it, that is what I mean by game management, 2 misplaced passes on the edge of our box is unacceptable.

We have a talented team - the weak link is LJ and his bizarre selections and continual tinkering - half the players have no idea what role they are playing and as a result confidence has evaporated

If say Warnock was in charge does anyone on here think we would be on this run and he would have allowed Reading the time or space to play, the only positive yesterday was Mark Little.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

I think that's a bit generous @spudski.

As noted in the "are we over complicating it" thread, I really don't like this notion that we are asking LJ to work with a bunch of 12 year olds and perform the impossible. Yes we have some younger players, yes some of our players natural level is somewhere between League One and Championship rather than solid Championship, but as with any halfway decent League One team, there should be enough for a manager to deliver a far more convincing return at this level.

"To be playing like we are" implies satisfaction that performances are better than results. That's just not true - I agree it does sometimes go that way during poor runs - but on this occasion the performances and approach have been the problem, long before the results (see posts I made earlier in the season when we were winning), the results are just catching up with the unconvincing performances. We're setup to keep ourselves in games "one goal in it" but not to win.

Also, while your point is well made about experience, if as reported the next two players have never played in English football before, doesn't it just mean more of the same - we've been very lucky with how quickly Magnusson settled. LJ has made this experience point too, so to then be bringing in two unknowns is just another way in which LJ/MA say one thing and do another. For what it's worth, our squad already has 3 players that won promotion to the Premiership...

I agree, O. And the Barnsley fans on here made the point that they are outperforming us with players without previous "championship experience". We could say the same about Preston.

The third par sums up what I think. Players are being coached in a way that overcomplicates things and set out to hang on, rather than push up.

I don't think yesterday was an awful performance to be honest and it has to be kept in mind that Reading have a tidy side, but the third goal sums up everything that is wrong with City at the moment: if we'd defended any deeper we'd have been back in the changing room. A ragged line of players, standing about as if the ref had ordered them to retreat 10 paces allowed a line of yellow shirts to play the ball between themselves, unchallenged, until they found Kermegant, who had the skills to find the gap between our "wall" and perfectly placed a shot. Helped by the fact that Fielding didn't see it until it was 6 feet from him. :facepalm:

It's the sort of goal you should never concede. Soft doesn't cover it. If it was an ice cream it would be a melting Mr Whippy.

The first part of this season shows what can be achieved with the "clubs in our bag", as managers like to say. That doesn't mean I'm not calling for more players to be brought in. It does show though Lee's regime has been having a negative effect on the squad. They were better when they didn't all know each other well, but the longer they've trained under Lee, the more mistakes and confusions creep in. He needs to go back and have a think about how he was doing things early season and try to drop some of the clever stuff that our players are just not good enough to do. In fact, most second tier players aren't good enough to do.

3 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

We have a talented team - the weak link is LJ and his bizarre selections and continual tinkering - half the players have no idea what role they are playing and as a result confidence has evaporated

If say Warnock was in charge does anyone on here think we would be on this run and he would have allowed Reading the time or space to play, the only positive yesterday was Mark Little.

Absolutely, but you are posting this on yet another thread by one of LJ's faithfull, desperately trying to justify what the clueless head coach is doing! :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I've had my concerns about the Tammy deal from the start, ( no problem with the player) I've never liked the situations where the parent club dictate to when and where their player plays. Personally I would have been more than happy to have Kodjia still at the club and no loanee bought in. If, and it would not surprise me, Chelsea insisted TA must play as a central striker, then LJ only has himself to blame for Kodjia going. 

At the end of the season TA will be off, we are then going to have to somehow find a 20 goal a season striker from somewhere and they don't grow on trees.

I also wonder if Chelsea have a clause which may state that TA can be called back by Chelsea if LJ is no longer our manager, this wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, because Chelsea loan out players to managers ( ideology of playing the game) and not clubs. 

Kodjia refused to play for us, why is that LJs fault and why would you want a player with an attitude like that to still be at the club?

36 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've noticed the lack of movement and was screaming at the players yesterday especially first half. One instance where Flint had the ball and was looking for a run , everyone of our midfield were static , no movement off the ball at all. Flint passed back to frankie then him and freeman were arguing about it. 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Kodjia refused to play for us, why is that LJs fault and why would you want a player with an attitude like that to still be at the club?

He asked not to be picked once, which is subtly different. With a player with as much speculation over his future at the club as JK at that time, I would think it was wise not to pick him anyway until the dust dies down and he stays or goes.

Matty Taylor on RB said how transfer talk argy-bargy led to him losing form for the Gas last season.

2 hours ago, Kibs said:

Some good points but however it's spun, we are seriously underachieving. I never thought for a minute we would remain around the top 6 but neither could I foresee a quite remarkable run like this and mid-table should have been a reasonable expectation. I guess it still is but it's hard to look beyond a relegation battle. 

For me, he tries to be too clever for his own good, tinkers far too much and picking Matthews ahead of Moore was quite astonishing. He didn't have a bad game tbf but Kermogant ensured that whenever possible, he was being marked by Matthews from the start.

When Cotterill was sacked, Pemberton turned it around doing exactly what was needed - he made us solid, hard to beat and we were able to keep clean sheets. There was nothing "modern" about it. Preston and Birmingham under Rowett are good examples of teams that do this regularly. For some reason it seems that this solid foundation was ripped up and LJ cannot find a way to keep the opposition out, despite having far more at his disposal than Pemberton did.

Its easy to say the fans got carried away etc but it wasn't just fans. There were bookies, pundits, "experts" and even rival managers calling us "Dark horses". Some even considered us as challengers for promotion.

To be in a situation (yesterday) where he felt forced field such a young team and have his major signings - Tomlin, Paterson, Engvall and Moore (£8m ish in total?) not even get on the pitch tells you something has gone very very wrong.

Im not sure I'd trust him with my kids pocket money, let alone another transfer window.

great post,there must be a reason we have gone from what we were to our current form and lee has to take his fair share of the blame, but never in my wildest dreams did I see this coming its a real kick in the teeth for all of us who love the club, just hope we can cling on, never thought I would have to say that

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

He asked not to be picked once, which is subtly different. With a player with as much speculation over his future at the club as JK at that time, I would think it was wise not to pick him anyway until the dust dies down and he stays or goes.

Matty Taylor on RB said how transfer talk argy-bargy led to him losing form for the Gas last season.

It was completely unprofessional from Kodjia and once a player asks not to play then they are toxic. Fully deserved his two week fine.

Why you'd want a player with that attitude over Tammy, who once again demonstrated yesterday what a fantastic attitude he has, I have no idea.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

It was completely unprofessional from Kodjia and once a player asks not to play then they are toxic. Fully deserved his two week fine.

Why you'd want a player with that attitude over Tammy, who once again demonstrated yesterday what a fantastic attitude he has, I have no idea.

Oh, I'd not, but i was just pointing out that it was a bit more nuanced than your post might suggest.

As for "toxic" players, these guys are footballers, often not great thinkers, you wonder whether the real poison is introduced into proceedings by their agents.

44 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I've never seen any confirmation that he refused to play. City were openly touting for bids for him at the time, its clear LJ and SL were keen to offload for as much money as they could get for him.

SL stated he would not sell him to a Championship club......   and he had been pushed out of his 20 goal position by a new 18 year old loanee. Do you really think he felt wanted by us. He clearly wasn't by the manager and chairman.

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I've never seen any confirmation that he refused to play. City were openly touting for bids for him at the time, its clear LJ and SL were keen to offload for as much money as they could get for him.

SL stated he would not sell him to a Championship club......   and he had been pushed out of his 20 goal position by a new 18 year old loanee. Do you really think he felt wanted by us. He clearly wasn't by the manager and chairman.

I believe there was something said at Scunthorpe 

3 hours ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

At this rate we're going down, this season is the priority now, not next. 

So what? Chuck loads of money at saving ourselves then find the squad full of overpaid single seasoners who are of no use? That's essentially what we've done for far too long, it's about time we stuck to our plan and if it takes us down then so be it. There are no guarantees that we're going to be saved if we sack LJ so why not stick to our guns for once and follow through on a long term plan. 

Great post. I think the main problems are:

1. The squad is not as good as we thought and the fact that only 3 of our summer signings have consistently played tells you all you need to know. Last year's team struggled and fundamentally we have not changed it, thus what did we expect. The depth of squad was also light before the Summer 16 recruitment anyway. It only emphasises the sterling job SC did to get us promoted. 

2. We have replaced Kodjia with Abraham in terms of goals. BUT our striking reserves are bare. Engvall cant get a kick and I have heard people say that is because he is not rated by the staff. If that is the case then heads should roll as he ticked all our boxes in August. The rest of the team do not score enough goals. 

3. The GK situation has become an issue and the back 4 are woeful as a unit. Fielding has no presence in the goal and ROD has been cast aside for a couple of poor games.  Flint is the most overrated defender IMO and he is caught out playing in a 2 at the back. His successful period for us came when he was in a 3. People seem to forget he was a liability under SOD. Flint should be sold and moved on. He is not a championship quality defender. Pemberton keeps being talked up but he is not the answer, in fact, he is as much culpable - does he not coach our defence? Matthews has been a disgrace and we should terminate his loan. He is comfortably the best right back in the championship but something has irked him as he is a shadow of his former self. Elkstrand has not played and what a waste of £ that was. Hopefully only on a pay as you play deal. 

4. The midfield is lightweight and get bullied. Smith is not fit and could probably do with going out on loan to restore confidence and fitness. He was woeful yesterday. O' Neill has no legs. Pack is overrun. Brownhill has showed promise but does not have the physicality to dominate and control midfield. Bobby Reid has developed but again he lacks the physical presence and is more of an attacking midfielder than someone who can get stuck in and intimidate opponents. 

5. Tomlin has not been good but he has been played out of position, like so many others. We have not got the best out of him. 

6. There has been a lack of pace in the side - which is criminal given that we have O'Dowda and Paterson. Both have showed promise only to disappear the next game. Freeman is a liability at the moment and has no pace. He will always be my fav player but he is League One standard. Freeman should be sold. His best position is in the 10 behind the strikers and we have an abundance of those players. 

7. The formation is not consistent and the chopping and changing of the team does not help. We dont know our best 11 from game to game. Yesterdays team selection was an embarrassment with our reserve CB commentating and the other CB being told he can leave! The space we gave Reading for each of their goals was a disgrace and shows a lack of organisation and leadership. The third goal almost trickled in......:( 

8. We have paid millions for Odowda, Engvall and Moore yet none have really had meaningful game time. Questions must therefore be asked. We surely cannot be planning for the future...in league One..... I am all for squad improvement but priority must be on having a strong first 11. 

9. LJ was always a punt as manager. He does not have the experience of the championship and any extended poor form was going to result in serious pressure. He had a modest record before us and not a record that justified his appointment at BCFC given that SL's stated aim was PL football within 2 years!!! We are light years away from the PL based on how the club is currently being run. Having money is not enough and I dont think SL has surrounded himself with the right people.   LJ was hired because he was a yes man who would buy into the board's vision and agreement to work with a director of football (Ashton).  He was marmite as a player and it is the same now he is manager. His stupid talking up of the club (Europa League in 5 years) has not helped to measure fans expectations. I thought he showed promise but his constant tinkering has concerned me and it appears he is a tactically inept coach. His substitutions were woeful yesterday and changing to a 442 only increased the pressure on our midfield as illustrated by the 3rd goal.    I think he has 6 games to save himself. He needs a win against Fleetwood. Then I would expect him, with the new players on board, to take a minimum of 9 points from the league games against Cardiff, Forest, Villa, Wednesday and Rotherham. If he cannot reach this target, he deserves to be sacked. Whether or not he will be is another matter.  Personally and despite my own reservations, I hope he can do it and so prove the doubters wrong. 

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

I've noticed the lack of movement and was screaming at the players yesterday especially first half. One instance where Flint had the ball and was looking for a run , everyone of our midfield were static , no movement off the ball at all. Flint passed back to frankie then him and freeman were arguing about it. 

I saw that too...I felt for Flint. Unfortunately it's not the first time, it happens way too many times in a game.

I hear fans moan about our defenders passing backwards and sideways. It's not the defenders fault...it's the lack of movement from our midfield.

I watched Reading's movement yesterday. It wasn't outstanding by any means, in fact it looked quite lacklustre in parts...more down to us being in shape and disciplined for long stages. However...Reading's players were constantly moving and making space and creating angles.

I'm so frustrated at Joe Bryan...he's a nightmare for this. His awareness of space and people around him is awful. His ability to go hiding behind the opposition is a skill in itself tbh...clever bugger.

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Agree with a lot of this, apart from the admonishment of LJ from any responsibility. That is a little one eyed for me. He has continually slated players publicly (Moore the last one ), changed team constantly, started the year with his new signings, then reverted to the L1 team, then left the majority of his new signings out of the side, then told them all early Nov via the media that they were not shaping up and in January he will be recruiting new players. Players come in and out of the side, randomly it seems .

As with SOD , who LJ is alarmingly becoming, there is also an aspect to his job that comes naturally and not from a book. Leadership. January may well see some improvement, until yet again he repeats the cycle a few months down the line. He is not producing results from a team he largely created and is ,you would think, after 12M, spent capable of a lot more. We can talk all you want about the future, but his job is also to maximise the resources at disposal now, no matter how flawed and far from perfect that they are. He is failing badly. Workman blaming his tools and all that. LJ , the club and players set the play offs as their target this year. That was not the fans but people at the club. 9 losses in 10 is not a blip, you can see the players are lacking belief and confidence, look confused and rudderless. 

I am totally for what the club is trying to change, but need to see dramatic improvement from LJ to convince me he is the right person to deliver the project. I appreciate your comments and belief of need for change which I also agree with, but as with SOD, it is not just about the theory, it also the practice, and in football the man management aspect is still an essential and sometimes defining cog in the system. 

I did hold LJ and MA responsible mate...I said they gambled with not enough experienced players. The gamble hasn't paid off...but we have a chance now to rectify it. Only 50% through the season, lots more to play for yet.

Just watched the highlights... a few things to look at. Stop the video at 1.09. Look where Freeman and Bryan are. Goldbourne has got two players to Mark. One on the bye line and one in front of him. Bryan should be all over the bloke in front of Goldbourne, instead he's floundering. Goldbourne trying to cover two players. It happens every game. Flint caught ball watching as his man peels off away from him, makes room and boom....way to easy.

At 1.24....Korey allows the runner to go between him and Brownhill....Brownhill try's to recover...but too late. Korey just stood pointing. In fact Korey just strolled and pointed all through their second goal...appalling from a DM. Flint caught ball watching again, as his man peels off him again to receive the ball and make room...Boom...way too easy again.

At 1.44...Brownhill the only one pressing against 3. Korey, Goldbourne and Bryan should all be pushing up on their men...instead we have 7 players, including Tammy in the RB position just out of shot, all in a line on the 18 yard box. Shot comes in...Matthews doesn't even attempt to bloke the shot, and FF makes another leaden spring from his feet to try and save. All that happening whilst wilbs and LJ were shouting for the players to press.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

When I read the comments by opposition managers and players, pre and post match, the common theme is that we are a threat going forward...one on one with Tammy and have a talented offensive midfield. If other teams are saying that, then surely you can see that offensively we are ok?

We're definitely never going to agree on this mate! 

Perhaps I'm thinking more specifically of the past month because it's fresh in the mind and you're summarising more generally what people have said about us all season, but not only can I not see that offensively we are okay, I am beyond frustrated about how little threat we pose and how unlikely we look to score.

The one thing I could always count on City for, however good or bad we've been, was to give it a go and create some chances. You know, the traditional type where we pass our way into the box, or where the striker gets put clean through, or the winger runs clear to the byline and centres a ball for someone to finish.

I'm no longer going to matches expecting to see proper chances like this - which on a good day at any level City would normally create at least 3 or 4 of. I'm going now expecting that "at best" any chances for us will come from rare counter attacks and either of these low probability moments of individual brilliance 

• Tammy doing something brilliant (flick/turn) to convert a speculative long ball into a snap shooting opportunity
  • Freeman/Tomlin/Reid running with ball, beating a few defenders, then playing in Tammy, or shooting from distance themselves

Under any manager worth their salt at City we would always finish home matches strongly with wingers bombing down the flanks and strikers hunting down space to score. I know we're light on strikers as a squad but how different and uninspiring an attacking force we are now, everything in front of their back four.

I realise we are not going to play a traditional 4-4-2 with wingers and crosses and I realise there are many other ways to score goals, but I've yet to see any real attacking identity besides Tomlin create some magic or get the ball up to Tammy and hope he does something. The Fulham game feels like an anomaly.

If other teams are commenting on our attacking threat and statistics say we're creating "chances" then I must be watching a different team. Perhaps the teams are referring only to a latent threat from Tammy's presence up front, though for the most part double mark him and he's now relying on them to make mistakes. 

I would just love to see City have some attacking ideas that aren't so reliant on individuals brilliance, but instead get more players forward to cause problems, create space and produce some higher probability scoring chances. I thought the blueprint was pace and passing and I'm seeing neither in the opposition half.

45 minutes ago, Olé said:

Perhaps I'm thinking more specifically of the past month because it's fresh in the mind and you're summarising more generally what people have said about us all season, but not only can I not see that offensively we are okay, I am beyond frustrated about how little threat we pose and how unlikely we look to score.

The one thing I could always count on City for, however good or bad we've been, was to give it a go and create some chances. You know, the traditional type where we pass our way into the box, or where the striker gets put clean through, or the winger runs clear to the byline and centres a ball for someone to finish.

I'm no longer going to matches expecting to see proper chances like this - which on a good day at any level City would normally create at least 3 or 4 of. I'm going now expecting that "at best" any chances for us will come from rare counter attacks and either of these low probability moments of individual brilliance 

• Tammy doing something brilliant (flick/turn) to convert a speculative long ball into a snap shooting opportunity
  • Freeman/Tomlin/Reid running with ball, beating a few defenders, then playing in Tammy, or shooting from distance themselves

Under any manager worth their salt at City we would always finish home matches strongly with wingers bombing down the flanks and strikers hunting down space to score. I know we're light on strikers as a squad but how different and uninspiring an attacking force we are now, everything in front of their back four.

I realise we are not going to play a traditional 4-4-2 with wingers and crosses and I realise there are many other ways to score goals, but I've yet to see any real attacking identity besides Tomlin create some magic or get the ball up to Tammy and hope he does something. The Fulham game feels like an anomaly.

If other teams are commenting on our attacking threat and statistics say we're creating "chances" then I must be watching a different team. Perhaps the teams are referring only to a latent threat from Tammy's presence up front, though for the most part double mark him and he's now relying on them to make mistakes. 

I would just love to see City have some attacking ideas that aren't so reliant on individuals brilliance, but instead get more players forward to cause problems, create space and produce some higher probability scoring chances. I thought the blueprint was pace and passing and I'm seeing neither in the opposition half.

No worries mate...it's all good :-)

18 minutes ago, Olé said:

All of this also feeds the complete mind-bend of Engvall being left out/never brought on.

He is something markedly different from Tammy or Wilbs, and I even thought when we were two nil up yesterday "surely, this is the time to bring on pace to catch them on the break?"

But considering there seems to be no occasion where LJ will introduce him over any other option, I'm honestly wondering what the intention of putting him in the first team squad is.

7 hours ago, spudski said:

...IMO...

For what it's worth...it's not down to the LJ's tactics, formations etc...but lack of experience and quality in the starting 11.

I think LJ and MA gambled a bit too much in the summer, by not bringing in more experienced players.

Now in saying that...I know how difficult it is to get the right players at the right time. It's easier said than done.

Budget, contracts, fees, agents, wanting to come here, availability, long term strategy and prospects etc,etc.

Deep down they know this, and this is why they keep saying they need the windows to build.

MA and his team will be working frantically behind the scenes to get players in.

The 'experienced' players with that bit of quality... Matthews, GoN and Tomlin have for different reasons, have all underperformed. And this has led to extra pressure on a very inexperienced squad at this level.

Yes the results are frustrating...but imo, to be playing like we are with so few decent experienced players, tells me we have some quality in the youngsters.

The focus has to be on bringing experience, quality, older heads, physicality and mobility to the team.

All these injuries, just magnify how short in quality we are in this league...hence yesterdays team selection.

And this is the problem with football and especially smaller clubs like ours. Transfer windows. These Windows make it so hard for clubs with less money to operate. Asking teams to buy and develop a team in basically a 2/3 month period is a farce. Especially, as unless players are out of contract, the negotiations can take ages and rely on various sales falling into place.

How I see it...we've gambled on spending money on players for the near future in the last transfer window. Got them at a price we can afford, before they develop and become out of our price range. We've got a stable of raw talent, that now needs developing for a season.

This January window will be the one where we bring in the experience and physicality.

The two combined, should in theory turn our season round, and make us a mid table side.

LJ and MA will then have the rest of the season to see where we can still improve and where our weaknesses are. The summer window will be where we develop further.

It's all about next season for me. That will show how good we can develop under LJ and MA.

Expecting lots of abuse and 'that's not good enough' comments. But that's where I see it...we've gambled on inexperience and a few 'experienced'...and that's why we are where we are.

I think this is a better op spud than the terrible one (imho :thumbsup:) you put up after Ipswich on Friday night! That was absolute tosh, but very well "liked" I noticed. Funny old game, 'eh? This one I think you have given more thought to, maybe taken on board a few thoughts of some other posters on here. It is certainly a bit more considered than Friday's. 

To my mind, and as you begin above, the club have misjudged things - indeed, you've used the word gambled more than once there - and I only hope that you are right and that we can fix things this month. Popular wisdom says that January is a seller's market, not a buyer's, so it will be interesting to see what we can do. 

No "abuse" from me this time, just a smidge of condescension. Keep up the good work (;)).

18 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I think this is a better op spud than the terrible one (imho :thumbsup:) you put up after Ipswich on Friday night! That was absolute tosh, but very well "liked" I noticed. Funny old game, 'eh? This one I think you have given more thought to, maybe taken on board a few thoughts of some other posters on here. It is certainly a bit more considered than Friday's. 

To my mind, and as you begin above, the club have misjudged things - indeed, you've used the word gambled more than once there - and I only hope that you are right and that we can fix things this month. Popular wisdom says that January is a seller's market, not a buyer's, so it will be interesting to see what we can do. 

No "abuse" from me this time, just a smidge of condescension. Keep up the good work (;)).

Agree with this, it was a huge gamble and it has backfired spectacularly and now we have to hope and prey the January window can save our season, another albeit obvious gamble. it would be nice perhaps for a little acknowledgement of the bleeding obvious and less of the BS 'light at the end of the tunnel' speech we've heard that one before from our previous at least 10 managers.

Other mistakes, they seemed to have coached out our earlier fragility at set pieces but have omitted game management and midfield responsibilities. 

25 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

It is indeed a funny old game mate...no problems with you fella.

I'm just excited to see how the season pans out...who we bring in, what players develop, who doesn't etc.

If it all goes Pete Tong...then I'll have to eat humble pie...it will eventually under LJ, so I'll have to do it eventually.

However...if we improve and finish mid table, then I think a lot of people on this forum are going to look stupid with recent remarks.

Yes it's frustrating...but so many fans make the most absurd posts, based on frustration, and a lack of understanding, because we don't know what's going on behind the scenes regarding transfers, budgets, training etc. So many anomalies effect what goes on in a game or parts of a season, that the average fan doesn't see....they can only base their thoughts on 90 mins each game...which in the bigger picture isn't a true reflection.

The one thing that annoys me, is the manager gets the blame for EVERYTHING...which is a nonsense.

I'm not defending LJ...and would even say SC wasn't to blame for EVERYTHING that led to his demise. It's a culmination of many factors.

Either way...I'm not going to let our position get me down. When that first goal went in yesterday, the hairs on the back of my neck went up...pure elation...When Mark Little beat up his opponent...it put fire in my belly to see the lads fighting.

Yes, the coach and players make mistakes, but they are all trying, some more than others...and regardless of those mistakes I'm still going to support what I see as a good plan in action, albeit struggling at the moment.

8 hours ago, spudski said:

...IMO...

I agree with a lot of what you say, but with regard to the bit I've highlighted, it seems several other teams seem to manage to do okay/better than us.

Same thing year-in, year-out.

Archived