IGNORED

Be honest...do you all know what a County is?

spudski

Spudski and I don't always agree but on this we are in full agreement.

Knowledge of geography, politics and current affairs in general is at what must be, an all time low. The (non existent) levels of basic maths on these films are just incredible, too.

Another by product of our dumbed down, celebrity obsessed culture, sadly.

(Yes, I do know what a county is).

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

There was a bird on Pointless last night ( the TV Show not City's Xmas) and she was at Uni somewhere, and she was asked for a country whose name ends in two consonants. Her answer? Paris.

And,  more worryingly, she clamed to have an 'A' Level in Geography!

On the late show on Radio Bristol last week the DJ was asking listeners to send in the songs that featured "Cities of the World" in their title, the idea being to play a load of songs in the last hour with that theme - so songs like "Boston Tea Party", "Rotterdam", "Philadelphia Freedom" would end up being played.  As he was sifting through some of the first suggestions he came across "Scarborough Fair" and "White Cliffs of Dover" and had to point out that Dover and Scarborough were not actually cities!  To me its crazy that anyone would think they were, but seeing the Matthews clip makes you wonder!

2 hours ago, Griffin said:

Nobody uses county's in my generation, I know what one is but don't think I've ever had to tell someone mine/find out another. SatNavs and Google Maps etc skip that stage. If you never need to learn it, nor hear it, then you probably won't. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't used in 50 years.

Really? You've not bought much online and had it posted then. 

Or paid much council tax... 

I'm personally one of those people who is happy wherever I live. I like to travel and see nice thing like most, but I get bored of it quite quickly. I will always be my most happiest around friends and family.

i have friends who change continents like I do my socks. There never happy and always chasing something that isn't there. One minute there living on the most beautiful beach and saying how they have finally found home, 10 mins later they are somewhere else...

I love these friends because I always get in there quick for a cheap holiday before they move on again.

6 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

I'm personally one of those people who is happy wherever I live. I like to travel and see nice thing like most, but I get bored of it quite quickly. I will always be my most happiest around friends and family.

i have friends who change continents like I do my socks. There never happy and always chasing something that isn't there. One minute there living on the most beautiful beach and saying how they have finally found home, 10 mins later they are somewhere else...

I love these friends because I always get in there quick for a cheap holiday before they move on again.

Haha I like it.  You are a user, but a good user, travel at others expense (apart from the ticket), nice work Mr, Ms or Mrs Monkey

2 hours ago, Griffin said:

Nobody uses county's in my generation, I know what one is but don't think I've ever had to tell someone mine/find out another. SatNavs and Google Maps etc skip that stage. If you never need to learn it, nor hear it, then you probably won't. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't used in 50 years.

I think I'm in your generation (maybe at the opposite end of that spectrum) but I most certainly do

3 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Haha I see it as sharing my company with others. I pray every night that they don't relocate to Thornbury. 

Dogs own town is Thornbury!  Maybe they want to move closer to their friend :)  

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I bet loads wont have a clue where on the planet our potential new Centre Forward is from...let alone Magners.

Graham said, "Knowledge of geography, politics and current affairs in general is at what must be, an all time low. "

Magners is from Ireland. Duh!

Screenshot_2017-01-03-19-52-38.jpg

Doesn't surprise me.

Joe Bryan supposedly has a reputation among "the lads" as a bit of a brainbox but when he participated in this a couple of seasons back and was asked "What famous event started in Pudding Lane in 1666?"

Answered:

"Um... the Great Apple Crumble Fight?"

6 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

There was a bird on Pointless last night ( the TV Show not City's Xmas) and she was at Uni somewhere, and she was asked for a country whose name ends in two consonants. Her answer? Paris.

Turkey?  That ends in two continents don't it?

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I once took part in a quiz evening where there was a team of Gas players. One of them, I think it was David Mehew (that's how long ago it was) had the question 'which country won the European championships' in a particular year and his answer was Brazil.

At least they knew that it was a country! Matey might have said Dublin.

Archived