IGNORED

Be honest...do you all know what a County is?

spudski

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Surprised by that, as many times online, when entering an address when buying or applying for something, a 'drop down' asks you which County.

General knowledge especially Geography has definitely dumbed down in the last 20 years imo.

Young people don't have to think as much anymore, especially in the western world...it's all done for them.

Indeed.  I have always been interested in other places, so have never understood the lack of knowledge people have of the world and places in the world around them.

28 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Nobody uses county's in my generation, I know what one is but don't think I've ever had to tell someone mine/find out another. SatNavs and Google Maps etc skip that stage. If you never need to learn it, nor hear it, then you probably won't. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't used in 50 years.

What's concerning me is that the internet generation will grow up thinking we all live in Avon.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Surprised by that, as many times online, when entering an address when buying or applying for something, a 'drop down' asks you which County.

General knowledge especially Geography has definitely dumbed down in the last 20 years imo.

Young people don't have to think as much anymore, especially in the western world...it's all done for them.

Lots of websites still seem to offer Avon. Madness!

3 minutes ago, TRL said:

Indeed.  I have always been interested in other places, so have never understood the lack of knowledge people have of the world and places in the world around them.

I actually bought a world map for my friends children...as when discussing places in the world I'd visited, they had no clue where they were.

I bet loads wont have a clue where on the planet our potential new Centre Forward is from...let alone Magners.

10 minutes ago, TRL said:

Insurance companies

County councils

Mortgage providers

NHS trusts, Fire brigades and Police Force

Six quickly off the top of my head.  

How do you think it will be gone in 50 years?  I'm not being sarcastic, genuinly intered how the younger generation come to this type of conclusion

Possibly just me but I've never had to given my county info to anyone/find out county specific info. 

I think it'll be gone because it isn't used with younger people, my day to day geography is done with co-ordinates, electronic maps.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

With most delivery address the County is optional, even if it isn't then you could put several different county's and they'd still find you. It's just another option postal companies use if they can't find your house.

Its probably considered ignorant to you old buggers ;) I think my generation know a lot about the world as the Internet literally lets us see anywhere, whenever. We just focus on the big things and cool places rather than the small and, potentially considered, boring countys of the U.K.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I actually bought a world map for my friends children...as when discussing places in the world I'd visited, they had no clue where they were.

I bet loads wont have a clue where on the planet our potential new Centre Forward is from...let alone Magners.

I have 3 World maps in my house, I have one with blacked out countries I have been to, One with places I want to go to and a very decorative one on the wall because its nice to look at.

I find the planet interesting and want to see it with my own eyes not through a computer screen or TV.  Maybe I am just getting old, but I am sure I felt the same way when I was young.  I could run off at least 120 capital cities of the world by the time I was 10!  Guess if you have a interest in it, you find it hard to understand why others don't :)  and now I am boring everyone as I prattle on :laugh:

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

I have 3 World maps in my house, I have one with blacked out countries I have been to, One with places I want to go to and a very decorative one on the wall because its nice to look at.

I find the planet interesting and want to see it with my own eyes not through a computer screen or TV.  Maybe I am just getting old, but I am sure I felt the same way when I was young.  I could run off at least 120 capital cities of the world by the time I was 10!  Guess if you have a interest in it, you find it hard to understand why others don't :)  and now I am boring everyone as I prattle on :laugh:

The world is great, every 17 year old and their dog go travelling for a year these days. We're just as boring as you honestly, don't worry yourself, we just play it cool ;)

8 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Possibly just me but I've never had to given my county info to anyone/find out county specific info. 

I think it'll be gone because it isn't used with younger people, my day to day geography is done with co-ordinates, electronic maps.

With most delivery address the County is optional, even if it isn't then you could put several different county's and they'd still find you. It's just another option postal companies use if they can't find your house.

Its probably considered ignorant to you old buggers ;) I think my generation know a lot about the world as the Internet literally lets us see anywhere, whenever. We just focus on the big things and cool places rather than the small and, potentially considered, boring countys of the U.K.

thanks for the reply, I can kind of get that.

But be sure to visit some of these counties, they may seem piddly and boring,but having traveled extensively, there are a few in the British Isles that are up there in the top 10 if not top 5 of wonderful places to visit.

4 minutes ago, Griffin said:

The world is great, every 17 year old and their dog go travelling for a year these days. We're just as boring as you honestly, don't worry yourself, we just play it cool ;)

:)

I think many do,and did when I was at Uni, although I think it was easier back when I was in Uni as there were no tuition fees and I pretty much got paid to go to university, which was spent on booze and travel :) 

Unless you have rich parents i reckon its a bit harder for people to afford it if they are Uni students, and if they aren't uni students you never get the time to travel because of that inconvenient thing called work :)

14 minutes ago, Griffin said:

It's true, we don't spell out counties very much these days. I can count on one hand how many times I've written South Gloucestershire, and that was one of them ! 

10 minutes ago, TRL said:

I agree with you. I grew up in Nailsea and most of my old school mates still live there which just amazes me. I pissed off to Australia when I was 16 ...... on my own ! We only visit this world once so I want to see it.

8 minutes ago, TRL said:

:)

I think many do,and did when I was at Uni, although I think it was easier back when I was in Uni as there were no tuition fees and I pretty much got paid to go to university, which was spent on booze and travel :) 

Unless you have rich parents i reckon its a bit harder for people to afford it if they are Uni students, and if they aren't uni students you never get the time to travel because of that inconvenient thing called work :)

It's actually pretty cheap, as long as you obviously don't stay in the central areas. Travel is so efficient these days and with so many websites like GoCompare you can actually do it quite well on a budget.

Plus there's 10,001 people that blog these days and share their adventures/routes online. Making it very easy for others to take inspiration & find real hidden gems, budget & beauty wise.

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I agree with you. I grew up in Nailsea and most of my old school mates still live there which just amazes me. I pissed off to Australia when I was 16 ...... on my own ! We only visit this world once so I want to see it.

haha  when ever I visit  Thornbury.  Its amazing the same people sat almost in the same spot in the same bar, just much fatter, a lot more lines, and less hair, and that's just the women!

Hey each to their own, if that is what keeps you happy that's great, your happy.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

...because Matthews doesn't :facepalm:

Seriously...Is that what we are dealing with these days? I'm utterly gobsmacked at how thick a person can be.

I like watching these for a bit of a laugh as some of their answers are pretty funny/bad. Then I remember how much they earn and suddenly I'm not laughing quite as hard! Fair play to them for putting themselves up for it. 

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

haha  when ever I visit  Thornbury.  Its amazing the same people sat almost in the same spot in the same bar, just much fatter, a lot more lines, and less hair, and that's just the women!

Thornbury and Nailsea should be twinned

5 minutes ago, Griffin said:

It's actually pretty cheap, as long as you obviously don't stay in the central areas. Travel is so efficient these days and with so many websites like GoCompare you can actually do it quite well on a budget.

Plus there's 10,001 people that blog these days and share their adventures/routes online, making it very easy for others to take inspiration & find real hidden gems, budget & beauty wise.

Oh yeah it is dirt cheap, a lot cheaper than when I was younger, and you start to find the independents that actually have cheaper tickets than going direct or via these big holiday booking comparison web sites you can find huge savings,you just got to pick your timings right.

Sorry I was a little unclear.  I was saying we were given money to spend how we wished where as students now have huge debt so even if it is cheap its just more to the mountain of debt

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Then I remember that some of them are earning as much in a week as I earn in 6 months and I'm then not laughing quite as hard all of a sudden!

And then they get a career ending injury and cannot play. At least you have your brain to help you keep on earning There are a lot of ex pro footballers left with nowt.

23 minutes ago, TRL said:

Blimey...you and me both haha

20 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Indeed they do...stayed with lots of kids on Gap years and travellin...in fact part of my job is managing Gap year students who wish to become better skiers/Racers/Instructors.

However...I've noticed far more in recent years be less adventurous and willing to work hard at learning new skills.

In one instance last season, I had a group of lads, who had spent the best part of £10K to become Ski Instructors in Canada...beautiful, stunning resort and scenery. They very rarely left their rooms in the hotel. Played Computer games, smoked joints and got pissed every night...might as well have been in prison. Mental...

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

And then they get a career ending injury and cannot play. At least you have your brain to help you keep on earning There are a lot of ex pro footballers left with nowt.

My point was the 'joke' was on me. I obviously didn't get that across very well! 

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

in one instance last season, I had a group of lads, who had spent the best part of £10K to become Ski Instructors in Canada...beautiful, stunning resort and scenery. They very rarely left their rooms in the hotel. Played Computer games, smoked joints and got pissed every night...might as well have been in prison. Mental...

That is mental, each to their own though.. I guess?:blink:

Archived